facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 2, 2007, 02:30 PM
Street Cricketer

Default H1b visa stamp

Hi,
I am planning to go get my H1b stamped in near future and was wondering if people around here are willing to share their experiences on this topic. I am looking for information on how long it took, if name check and other checks took time, if bangladesh vs canada consulate makes a difference etc. In general any information would be helpful since I have heard a lot of horror stories of people getting stuck in canada for name checks etc.

Old May 2, 2007, 03:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I heard it from a Moroccan guy that its very fast to get it from Canada. they don't even look up to see who is standing in front of them. this guy got the stump in two days and in 2006.
BTW they give only one year visa no matter what...
I my self can't go home because of that. 7 year running.
Hopefully my GC will come next year.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled

Last edited by akabir77; May 2, 2007 at 04:40 PM..
Old May 2, 2007, 03:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Depending on who is getting. Any match with names in terror list would be time consuming.

The process I heard was sonic fast now. Mine took over a year cause it was in the last century. But we didn't have to go outside the US as well to get it.

Unless you want to go home in near future, I suggest don't get the visa stamp why take unnecesary risk? Apply for green card.
Old May 2, 2007, 04:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Unless you want to go home in near future, I suggest don't get the visa stamp why take unnecesary risk? Apply for green card.
On the contrary, unless you don't have anyone near and dear back home, make sure you always have your passport stamped with a valid visa.

If you have to take the next flight home to attend to a family emergency, an unstamped affair can leave you in quite some-mess when you want to return back, including appointment time etc.

As for the green-card, if i read your post right, you are coming on H1B which is for speciality occupation. Make sure your employers file for your labor quickly enough. Green card is a long way to go.
Old May 2, 2007, 04:24 PM
Cricket Savant

My bad. I presumed he was already in the States may be finished studies got his H1B approved and have to go to Canada/mexico/country of origin (BD) in order to get a H1B visa stamp on his passport.

Emergency situations are always hard to cope. But one must think the risk of trying to get a visa stamp and get stuck there. Would rather ask to try to start the green card process which don't take that long either nowadays. And one an apply for travelling permission at the same time applying. (which is for only 1 year)
Old May 2, 2007, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

"Would rather ask to try to start the green card process which don't take that long either nowadays"

I don't know if rules are different for Bangladesh but as of now, in US, they are processing the priority dates from around 2001-2002 which means a 5-6 years lag! I don't know of any faster means to GC unless you marry an American citizen or your speciality is something entirely different.

I have had my H1B stamped in India as well as Mexico, at different times. I can tell you that if you are denied visa in Mexico for any damn reason, you are in a far bigger soup than if you are in your home-country. For example, a flight to Bangladesh from Mexico can cost you anywhere like 2-3 grands compared to say 1-1.5 grands from US. Often we take Mexico/Canada route because appointment dates are faster and it is less expensive.

The choice on how long to stay on unstamped visa is often based on when is my next trip to the homeland. I vist once to twice a year so if i am anyways gonna go to India in say June and my visa expires today, i'll stay for a couple of months on an unstamped passport. But that's only so far that i can stretch myself.

Again, it's a personal preference.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:30 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
My bad. I presumed he was already in the States may be finished studies got his H1B approved and have to go to Canada/mexico/country of origin (BD) in order to get a H1B visa stamp on his passport.

Emergency situations are always hard to cope. But one must think the risk of trying to get a visa stamp and get stuck there. Would rather ask to try to start the green card process which don't take that long either nowadays. And one an apply for travelling permission at the same time applying. (which is for only 1 year)
You are right, I have had H1b for 2 years now, and feel like I need to go back home, and the reasons mentioned (emergencies etc.)are good justifications for that, but at the same time I fear that I will get stuck in Bangladesh/Canada. I am just trying to see what the general feel is among NRBs on H1b, how they are handling this situation, specially the ones who haven't applied for GC yet. The other immigration boards mostly talk abt Pakistanis/Indians, so I thought I would get more experiences posting here. Thanks to everyone for their input, hopefully we will get to hear from more ppl who have gone through the process.
Old May 3, 2007, 02:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

One of my bangladeshi went to Canada to renew his H1b... he did not have to go through security clearance. Another Bangladeshi girl I know got her HiB stamp from Canada without any hassle. One of my fellow student from university when to Canada to renew his F1 visa... His name matched some list of suspected names so he got stuck in Canada for more than a month.

All three incidents took place in the last couple of months. If you can save up some vacation time, then I think it is a good idea to renew it from bangladesh. That way you won't waste your vacation in Canada if you get stuck. For the Bangladeshi consulate, you can download all visa relevant forms from their site and schedule an appointment before arriving to Dhaka (your parents can submit the forms on your behalf).
Old May 3, 2007, 10:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
"Would rather ask to try to start the green card process which don't take that long either nowadays"

I don't know if rules are different for Bangladesh but as of now, in US, they are processing the priority dates from around 2001-2002 which means a 5-6 years lag! I don't know of any faster means to GC unless you marry an American citizen or your speciality is something entirely different.
If you are in EB2 category and you are a Bangladeshi, then you are lucky. They are processing priority dates from Sept/Oct of last year now. It doesn't take more than 6 to 9 months now. Of course the LC has to be approved already - and that is a comon bottleneck for all.
Old May 3, 2007, 10:54 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
If you are in EB2 category and you are a Bangladeshi, then you are lucky. They are processing priority dates from Sept/Oct of last year now. It doesn't take more than 6 to 9 months now. Of course the LC has to be approved already - and that is a comon bottleneck for all.
Oh this is music to my ears as my company have applied for me as EB2 and I am a Bangladeshi. I am in process of getting the LC. just done with the add. Can u guys tell me what should happen next so that i know my company is going/doing the right thing. this is their first ever GC process. so they r lost like me. I have to tell them every now and then to do the next thing...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old May 4, 2007, 09:57 AM
Cricket Savant

Another option for Rupak.

Why not apply for Canadian Immigration? It would be 9 months before you get your landing permit. I am sure you have enough points and will get it. Then you can go there get your visa stamp without fear. May be your company has a office at canada? Weather you become a canadian or not is not in question.

Keep all your options open. Once you are settled here you can always go back to BD if you choose. The paper work is very important.
Old May 4, 2007, 05:31 PM
Street Cricketer

This is something I have thought abt in the past, but I always thought after getting immigration, I would have to stay in canada to get the permanent residency, and didnt hear good things abt the job situation there, ofcourse it will still be a better option then getting stuck with no paperwork. Thanks a lot, i really appreciate all the suggestions!
Quote:
Another option for Rupak.

Why not apply for Canadian Immigration? It would be 9 months before you get your landing permit. I am sure you have enough points and will get it. Then you can go there get your visa stamp without fear. May be your company has a office at canada? Weather you become a canadian or not is not in question.

Keep all your options open. Once you are settled here you can always go back to BD if you choose. The paper work is very important.
Old May 6, 2007, 11:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Well I started a similar thread last year in September, when I was going back to Dhaka for the stamp. My experience was really straight forward. I got an appointment for visa interview just 2 days after I went to the local US embassy agent (Simon center). I got my passport with stamped H1B from the embassy in few more days.

But I didn't have any security check, it took one of my friends 3 weeks to get it from Dhaka as his profile was sent for security clearance.

Since I only got a visa stamp valid for 1 year, I will need to do it again in coming December when I plan to visit Bangladesh.