facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 25, 2007, 11:22 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
There you go...Tom and Jerry cartoon has started.
Tom => 5 points
Jerry => 6 points

Keep going guys...I'll keep updating after every round of fight. Just make sure you guys really beat up each other...otherwise it's not fun to watch

Old April 25, 2007, 11:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

But who is Jerry and who is Tom. I need to know what my score is in order to make my next move.
Old April 25, 2007, 11:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

All those dumb Arab countries suddenly felt for human rights for Khaleda and Hasina when they themselves behead people for minor crimes. Hipocracy at it's best.

CTG has to realise that the outside world is programmed to think the following way:

public boolean democracy;

if (democracy = true)
{
This goverment rocks, who cares what it does ;
}
else
{
This government is bad and human rights violator; // Even if they do good for the country
}

They have to realise that there is a bug in this type of mentality and resist them if necessary bring in the Arab or American ambassador and tell them to shut up and pi** off.

Last edited by Alien; April 25, 2007 at 11:52 PM..
Old April 26, 2007, 12:27 AM

The CTG has retracked their policy and decided to go after them law wise. That should be the way taken from the beginning instead of peaceful honorable exile ( with other family members ). I am happy to see CTG recognized their failure, and now will try their best to bring down them to earth law wise and as a result, political reform in those party and in BD history will be more realistic and legitimate. And their family members who has dirty hands as well will be unearthed.

Lets see their greatness and how great they are in political reform perspective. It's all good to me and for us I guess.
Old April 26, 2007, 12:33 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
The CTG has retracked their policy and decided to go after them law wise. That should be the way taken from the beginning instead of peaceful honorable exile ( with other family members ). I am happy to see CTG recognized their failure, and now will try their best to bring down them to earth law wise and as a result, political reform in those party and in BD history will be more realistic and legitimate. And their family members who has dirty hands as well will be unearthed.

Lets see their greatness and how great they are in political reform perspective. It's all good to me and for us I guess.
Exactly what they should have done. Lets see whether they can gather ne evidence that will hold up in court. Law is a tricky business.
Old April 26, 2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
Exactly what they should have done. Lets see whether they can gather ne evidence that will hold up in court. Law is a tricky business.
Yeah, it will be very very tough, but most easy way is taxation, undeclared money. Most importantly public demand / pressure on political reform will grow up more & more in the mean time, and a change is imminent ... that itself a big change.
Old April 26, 2007, 10:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

CTG thought that it would be harsh to go after two women and sending them to jail and hence they wanted to exile them.

Insteasd of going for unconstitutional exile plan, CTG should and must find out the corruption and finish the trail and send them to jail... both hasina and khaleda semms like living in the country.... CTG should make sure they stays there, behind the bars.
Old April 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
Cricket Guru

If you guys are thinking that laying charges against these highest profile politicians is easy, then you can keep dreaming. It's probably easier to arrest the army chief than arresting the two Cinderellas in Bangladesh. And part of the exile plan was due to this very reason.

If you guys are thinking that legally it will be possible for CTG to stop the two Cinderellas from participating in the next election, then you can keep dreaming again. It is impossible to ban them from participating in elections until the court rules that they have done something unlawful. The court can only do that with proper proof. Until then, these Cinderellas are only two very free birds.
Old April 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
If you guys are thinking that laying charges against these highest profile politicians is easy, then you can keep dreaming. It's probably easier to arrest the army chief than arresting the two Cinderellas in Bangladesh. And part of the exile plan was due to this very reason.

If you guys are thinking that legally it will be possible for CTG to stop the two Cinderellas from participating in the next election, then you can keep dreaming again. It is impossible to ban them from participating in elections until the court rules that they have done something unlawful. The court can only do that with proper proof. Until then, these Cinderellas are only two very free birds.
They can change the law, but can it be done without having a parliament?
Old April 26, 2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

It is good that Hasina and Khaleda will stay within BD territory so that our government can move against these two crooks if they need to.

I foresee a trial against them, and bigtime media vilification of them and the emergence of anti-Hasina and Khaleda forces in both the AL and BNP which will eventually either separate or takeover the two parties. Hasina and Khaleda are dinosaurs and their era is over.
Old April 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Khaleda, Hasina have Tk 2-3cr each in banks
Show account details to Bangladesh Bank so far; Hasina says the amount belongs to Bangabandhu Trust

Staff Correspondent

Commercial banks so far have reported that former premiers Khaleda Zia and Sheikh Hasina each have up to Tk 3 crore in bank accounts, said banking sources. More banks continued to submit information on the two leaders and their dependents as part of the central bank's inquiry into their transaction details.
Most of Khaleda's money was deposited in the state-owned Sonali Bank while Hasina's in Agrani Bank. As of yesterday, the facts and figures on their family members' accounts were yet to come, added the sources.
The Bangladesh Bank (BB) on Wednesday verbally directed the commercial banks to come up with all banking information on Khaleda Zia by midday that day. It also asked for similar information on Hasina to be provided by 11:00am yesterday.
The information gathered till yesterday afternoon has already been sent to the National Coordination Committee (NCC) to Combat Corruption and Crime. The NCC has sought the information through BB, said sources in the caretaker administration.
Awami League (AL) President Sheikh Hasina last night told The Daily Star, "Why running around for the information? I have already submitted those [wealth statements] to the Election Commission along with my nomination papers."
Asked about the reported Tk 2-3 crore in her accounts, she said, "The money belongs to Bangabandhu Memorial Trust."
She added, "People and organisations from across the globe donate to the Trust. I can't tell you exactly how much money it has. The chief accountant could give the specifics."
She has a joint account with her sister Sheikh Rehana. But that's not supposed to have such a big amount, Hasina said adding that she won't be surprised if somebody had put the money into the accounts to fit them up.
Despite repeated attempts, neither Khaleda nor any member of her family could be contacted for reaction.
Meanwhile, replying to a query, BB Governor Salehuddin Ahmed yesterday told reporters, "The central bank can ask for information on anyone's account if necessary." He, however, did not elaborate on the matter.
According to preliminary information, BNP Chairperson Khaleda and her match in the AL together have accounts with six or seven banks. They have the money in fixed deposits and other savings and current accounts.
Sonali and Agrani Bank officials seeking anonymity admitted that the chiefs of the two major political parties that have dominated the political landscape over the years each have Tk 2-3 crore. But they refused to give specific figures on the accounts.
Contacted, the central bank authorities declined to say anything on the find.
Sources said the NCC is examining the account statements to find out the sources of the funds and irregularities, if any.
DS>>

Old April 26, 2007, 02:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I think CTG govt made the right decision at the end... this forced exile thing was becoming very unpopular with the public.

Let's punish these ladies the legal way.
Old April 26, 2007, 03:01 PM
Test Cricketer

this is a horrible news...........it's a moral victory for them......this two horrible horrible lady should be exiled in no time......i hope the CTG has some plan to diffuse these two ......i'm so upset......it would have been a milestone for BD if they were to exile forever.....i think now we have to wait for their normal death...god!! they still look so healthy.....

oh Almighty!! please make them weak for the sake of our country........
Old April 26, 2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
It is good that Hasina and Khaleda will stay within BD territory so that our government can move against these two crooks if they need to.

I foresee a trial against them, and bigtime media vilification of them and the emergence of anti-Hasina and Khaleda forces in both the AL and BNP which will eventually either separate or takeover the two parties. Hasina and Khaleda are dinosaurs and their era is over.
This would be an ideal thing to do. No amount of BS is going to change my mind about these two ladies, their hordes of party men and their families having embezzled money, earned illegal income, abused their authority, etc. As Kabir bhai said, it will take the justice system to convict them, and to avoid any side by side problems their supporters may cause to the flow of justice, the effective step will be to play politics and give rise to internal BNP and AL disunity.
Old April 26, 2007, 11:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
This would be an ideal thing to do. No amount of BS is going to change my mind about these two ladies, their hordes of party men and their families having embezzled money, earned illegal income, abused their authority, etc. As Kabir bhai said, it will take the justice system to convict them, and to avoid any side by side problems their supporters may cause to the flow of justice, the effective step will be to play politics and give rise to internal BNP and AL disunity.
Can you give me any example that any reputed leader of our country got justise and was punished? Think about Ershad, some of his case is still going on. The guy just had to stay in the jail for couple of years and he got back. He setup a party and elected.
We need to do something really different for K & H.
Old April 27, 2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747
Can you give me any example that any reputed leader of our country got justise and was punished? Think about Ershad, some of his case is still going on. The guy just had to stay in the jail for couple of years and he got back. He setup a party and elected.
We need to do something really different for K & H.
sunny bhai, this is what I think, and what is going on is VERY serious and grave for the future of Bangladesh.

First to remind ourselves, this current Caretaker Government has assumed office at a very critical time, when the prior one was made to resign or got sacked, and lost considerable credibility. This CTG came on with the backing of the army, with great support from the UN Undersecretary General for South Asia, from the Foreign Embassies. This CTG had broad support in Bangladesh not because what steps they took was 100% correct, but it was a relief for the general population to not live in instability and volatile circumstances.

The steps they took regarding the denationalisation of the govt banks, separation of judiciary, freeing Ctg port from the crippling clutches of vested parties, going after trade syndicates, allowing BDR to do open market sale, etc etc... while not flawless, were the best things to be ever done, and the only time to do it was under a non-partisan government. Political governments would be expected to do all these too for the sake of the country, but they would always have greater objections because of their intricate links in all these sectors. And this work is NOT finished.

Now comes the part about K&H.... The first two obvious plans anyone can come with these 2 are exile and having them tried by the constitution. The problem is... it was foolish to accept that Hasina would not exploit the circumstances abroad. I said this before.... she yelled about a shoirachari undemocratic government while abroad, and the world listened. And she in this way strengthened Khaleda who was under pressure to leave too.

Now if you're talking about Plan B... ie trying them by constitutional means, what you face is a tedious and slow process whereby it *may* be possible to try them in fairness, transparently and convict them. But in this lengthy period, despite all constitutional forms being followed, the CTG will be exposed to a large number of AL and BNP and Jamaat and JP activists willing to sacrifice their lives blindly for their netris and netas, who will be physically in BD, under arrest perhaps... but if they have license to speak be sure that they will ignite violent actions, and if they are arrested and kept quiet, they will still ignite violent actions.

CTG's handling of that is probably what will be of greatest concern. Any false move and we will be back to the Ershad days of anti-autocracy movement, and this time the downfall wont be of one person like Ershad, but an ENTIRE section of society highlighted as "Sushil Shomaj" (civil society) who is engaging with ( (and criticising) the CTG more than anyone else. Do you see the flipside of this, that it is AL and BNP workers and leaders who are the most disconnected from the workings of current administration? They have the organisational reach and grassroots existance across the country more than anything else, and not the Civil Society, and it is equally in their power to break our country if the CTG is not careful.

At this time, AL and BNP is suddenly emboldened, but this CTG by no means should give up because of this. They have started all those other tasks that I mentioned first, and they must finish it for the sake of the country. They have to make sure the laws of Bangladesh are continued to be followed in line with the constitution, they CANNOT start making extra-constitutional rules like exiling people and banning media, debates, movement, etc. It is a VERY hard task for them, and that is why I think their job will be that much easier if by playing politics, internally BNP and AL has disunity. Otherwise any half measures will have greater long run costs than anything else.

p.s: As for Ershad... remember he was tried while the judiciary was under the final say of the executive. It is imperative that judiciary is made autonomous of the advisors/ministers and PM/CA before trials against K&H take place. As far as I know about ershad... he was tried fully in due process, but it took 16 years for the supreme court to confirm his guilt with Janata Tower case. (or was it the "Boat Churi" case?) Many years the administration intentionally stalled the court from doing its job. Only during the time of the former CTG in 2006 did the court formally announce. According to Bangladesh's law, as I understand Ershad cannot stand for public office again.

Last edited by ammark; April 27, 2007 at 12:49 AM..
Old April 27, 2007, 12:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
They can change the law, but can it be done without having a parliament?
AFAIK, there are portions of the law that cannot be modified without the parliament. I'm not sure what those portions are, so can't tell. But there are new laws that can be added.

I think the law is, if an amendment needs to be made in the constitution, that has to go through the parliament. May be I'm way off here.
Old April 27, 2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
AFAIK, there are portions of the law that cannot be modified without the parliament. I'm not sure what those portions are, so can't tell. But there are new laws that can be added.

I think the law is, if an amendment needs to be made in the constitution, that has to go through the parliament. May be I'm way off here.
well changes can be done, but as soon as new govt is elected, they have to ratify it, and I think there is a time frame by which ratification must be done, otherwise the new law will be discarded.

Under state of emergency though, constitution is theoretically suspended, and the president has rights to do whatever he or she wants with the laws. But I doubt they'll be binding after State of Emergency since they might likely contradict the Constitution.
Old April 27, 2007, 01:59 AM

Nice write from one of our BC member on Prothom Alo
Old April 27, 2007, 02:50 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
Nice write from one of our BC member on Prothom Alo
Who is this Mizanur Rahman? a BC member? whats the nick?
Old April 27, 2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumon77
Who is this Mizanur Rahman? a BC member? whats the nick?
I thought I saw him posting here on BC by the nick 'mrkhanbd', but couldn't find anyone in user list now! My be my I was wrong.
Old April 28, 2007, 04:26 AM
Cricket Legend

The Law Advisor Mainul sounds like a liar of the first degree. The CTG should order a media gag on all advisors as they are too big headed and creating confusion.

Dhaka, April 27 (bdnews24.com) – Law adviser Mainul Hosein Friday said the idea to exile Sheikh Hasina and Khaleda Zia came from no one other than people of their own parties—BNP and the Awami League.

Mainul made the claim in an interview with a private television station, Channel i, two days after the government took a U-turn on the fate of the two former prime ministers.

The adviser said the government had no problem if the leaders stayed in Bangladesh.

"But the government was told by people from within the parties that if the two leaders stay in the country, necessary reforms in the parties cannot be carried out," Mainul said in the interview.

Mainul's comment was meant to explain the emergency government's botched attempt to keep Hasina abroad for long and an alleged move to exile Khaleda to a foreign country. Hasina is in London.

On April 25, the home ministry issued two circulars lifting the controversial ban on Hasina's homecoming and denying restrictions on Khaleda's movement.

The government changed its mind in a matter of eight days on Hasina in the wake of what it said was opinion of the media and other quarters.

Asked to comment on the government's political manoeuvring, Mainul said Thursday that the government had made a bold decision by lifting the homebound travel ban on Hasina.

On April 23, a Dhaka court halted an arrest warrant against Hasina in a murder case that involves one of the bloodiest days in 2006.
Old April 28, 2007, 05:13 AM
Banned

Relax guys.

In the 14 or so weeks that the CTG has been in power, a lot has happened. They will remain in power for at least another 18 months or so i.e let's say 72 weeks.

1. Hasina is in trouble now. She made a lot of noise how she wants to go back to BD even if she is arrested bla bla bla. Now that she can go back, she doesn't want to, as she knows she will get arrested.

Conclusion: BD have won. They have succeeded in keeping Hasina out of the country, but not officially by forcing her, but by her being too scared to defend herselves against the charges against her. i.e. which can be viewed as an implicit recognition of her guilt.

Hasina is now apparently going to sue British Airways for £100 million for them denying her a flight to Bangladesh, needless to say this clown will lose. If she does do this, then.

a. The question will be raised as to why she doesn't go back to BD now when she has the ability.

b. The reason for the initial ban on her, i.e. her years of corruption, raping of the country's resources as well as murders of political opponents will probably be highlighted.

Game, set and match to the CTG.
Old April 28, 2007, 09:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
b. The reason for the initial ban on her, i.e. her years of corruption, raping of the country's resources as well as murders of political opponents will probably be highlighted.
You missed one. She also created different groups within AL, and the more powerful MPs would actually call and death-threat the new people who want to run for the election. The question is, how do I know this? Lets just say, one of my very very VERY close relatives was one of those death-threat receivers when he was submitting his nomination papers.

I'm sure the same happens within BNP. And this is simply SICK.
Old April 28, 2007, 10:01 AM
Banned

CTG are trying to get more genuine and progressive BNP and AL leaders to take over the party from the old guard.

BD media is reporting that some are saying the CTG was advised by certain senior leaders of both the BNP and AL to carry out the exile plan. There is a lot going on. There are 18 months left until elections and things are moving at lightening pace. With Hasina out of the country and if she is busy (as she apparently threatened) with suing British Airways for £100 million, she won't have that much time and energy to spend on maintaining power in "her" (not that it is her property) party. Everyone knows that the CTG wants the AL and BNP to have a new leadership, with Kha-lie-da and Snake Has-been-a's political terror/mafia networks being dismantled, they can't run the party in the fashion you just mentioned above.

Btw don't expect Has-been-a to be coming back to BD soon. She is enjoying all the attention, the glamour of having British bodyguards, a plush mansion and visiting international TV studios such as Jazeera to give that up for a prison cell in BD. Hasina should now be called "Has-been-a"