facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 11, 2003, 08:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Typically rubbish reporting!

Someone tell me what's wrong with this match report. Its not very difficult.

Mushfiq takes them home

Sports Reporter

All-rounder Mushfiqur Rahman played a typically gutsy innings which eventually handed Victoria Sporting club their second consecutive Premier Division cricket title at the Bangabandhu National Stadium yesterday.

On the fourth and final day of the Super League clash, Mushfiq, the Rajshahi all-rounder, who missed the early part of the league due to serious ankle injury, held Mohammedan at bay for two sessions (252 minutes) to ensure a draw which was enough for the Centenary side to record their third ever League honour with a match in hand.

With a target to either win the match by scoring 270 or bat out the 80 overs remaining in the game, Victoria were shaken by a desperate Mohammedan. Needing a victory at any cost, Mohammedan had the perfect start when they sent back Victoria's prolific Pakistani opener Waseem Nayeem in the third over of their second innings. Nayeem was caught by Aftab off paceman Monir at square leg. Mohammedan hopes were further lifted when they reduced Victoria to 35 for three just after lunch.

But Mushfiq led the consolidation charge. Playing like a wall, he defied all that the Mohammedan bowlers could throw at him. He received good support from captain Azam Iqbal (28) and middle-order Anisur Rahman (33 not out) along the way.

Mushfiq and Anis put on a decisive 62-run partnership for the unbeaten seventh wicket as Victoria reached 174 for six before Mohammedan captain Minhazul Abedin decided to throw in the towel with six balls remaining.

Mushfiq, who has been rewarded with an opportunity to meet new national coach Dav Whatmore on May 14 as one of the 21 leading cricketers of the country, smote ten boundaries in his 193-ball innings.

Mohammedan tried their best to force the title issue into the final day of the league and with their opponents reeling at 112 for six, they couldn't be blamed for fancying a win. But with Mushfiq offering stubborn resistance the tail never got exposed. They didn't help their cause either when the skipper himself dropped a sharp chance at leg slip to catch Mushfiq when he was on 26. In a last ditch attempt, Minhazul even put nine men in the slips for the last few overs of the day but it was just not going to be Mohammedan's day.

Earlier, Mohammedan, resuming the final day morning on 201 for 5 in 71 overs, batted for another eight overs in the first session before they declared their second innings on 238 for 8. The extra overs consumed proved significant for the outcome of the match and even Minhazul admitted later that that precious half-an hour's batting minimised their chances of bowling Victoria out

With the draw, Victoria raised their tally to 74 points from 16 matches. Mohammedan on the other hand finished their season with 72 points from 17 matches.

Victoria will now face City Club in their last match that will start at the Bangabandhu National Stadium from Wednesday.

Old May 11, 2003, 10:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

I don't know what's wrong because

I didn't understand anything!!!!

Just save us the time and tell us!!!!
Old May 11, 2003, 11:35 PM
Cricket Legend

The reporter has told us how many minutes Mushfiq was out there, how many balls he played, how many 4s he hit, but not how much he scored!
Old May 11, 2003, 11:38 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default Is it the style ?

I see some obvious mistakes but give us some more ....

Offcourse, Nannu throwing the towel (sometimes used for retirement) was funny ....
Old May 11, 2003, 11:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

Whosoever guy wrote this article, I don't think that he knows how to write articles.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:02 AM
Cricket Legend

I was half way down the report and thinking, just tell me how much he scored because that is all I care about right now. Our reporters try to write these stylized match reports by using a million cliches but they leave out the most important bit of information, especially when the damn thing is titled 'Mushfiq takes them home!'. I read that and I think, ooh, wonder how much he scored, but guess what, the reporter didn't care to give us that bit of vital info. As for mistakes, there are tons!!
Old May 12, 2003, 01:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Cool puzzle - my guess is 61 n.o.

This is a great puzzle. The Sports reporter knew we were bored so did not want to give the answer away. He sprinkles his article with several clues, and also hid valuable information in the next article "Viva Victoria". I think we should try to guess how much Musfiq scored before someone who reads his stats elsewhere posts it here.

Let's see, we know he scored at least 40 (10 boundaries) but less than 174, Victoria's total for 6 wickets.

He came to the crease about 17 minutes before lunch. (252 mins at the crease) minus (240 for the two sessions) plus (5 min for the last over not bowled). We can deduce that the allrounder Mushfiq came out to bat with approximately 3.3 overs to be bowled before lunch.

Now we know the score at lunch was 35/3. With a careful start let's say Mushfiq went into lunch on 4 not out over those 3.3 overs. The trail is getting warmer...

Between 35/3 and 112/6 (77 runs), let's assume other batsmen scored 40 (Azam scores 20 of 28 and the rest chip in another 20). That leaves our friend Mushfiq to score 37 more runs since lunch. So with the score at 112/6, Mushfiq was sweating out there at 41 not out (37 plus 4 n.o at lunch).

The rest is easy. Anisur Rahman scored 33 of the 62 runs in the unbroken 7th wicket partnership. That leaves Mushfiq to score 29 of the runs in that partnership, giving him an unaudited total of 70.

Now, I know what you are thinking. So far I haven't accounted for extras. Even though we know there were 9 men in the slips at the end of the day, extras are really hard to figure out. For this the learned Sports Reporter wants us to search through the Daily Star Archives to calculate how many extras Mohammedan typically gives away in two sessions. Let's skip this part of the puzzle and make a simplifying assumption that 20 were given away during the innings of 174, and perhaps 15 while Mushfiq was batting (the 9 slips helped keep extras down as all balls were outswingers, at least during those overs).

So therefore we must subtract 15 from our previous unaudited total of 70 to come up with 55. Now, we must do a gut check on this number. We know he hit 10 scintillating boundaries. We must know more about Mushfiq the batsman. Was he in a particularly aggressive mood? Naah, he was just trying to survive. Didn;t he take a lot of singles with the 9 slips in place? Nope, the bowling was too good at the end.

Ok, applying the gut check we have to conclude that Mushfiq scored a tad more than 55, in fact he scored 61 not out, giving him a strike rate of a bit less than 33% (193 ball innings). This is in line with our historical understanding of how Mushfiq would perform when called upon.

So, you see, this is how much work you have to do to figure out the Sports Reporter's article.

Disclaimer: certain assumptons and calculations above may be incorrect. I look forward to other calculations and reasoning should anyone else be so inclined.

and p.s., congrats to mushfiq, he finally did something!!
Old May 12, 2003, 04:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Hahahaha!

Rafiq bhai, after a long time, I read a post which I enjoyed thoroughly from start to finish! Thanks a lot. That really was a good one. I think you are probably pretty close to the mark.
Old May 12, 2003, 11:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Thanks, Sham! I am glad no one had that much time to waste late last night, but did anyone find out how much the man really scored?
Old May 12, 2003, 12:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default mushfiq babu\'s score

Rafiq, you are very very close - it is 62 n.o.
Old May 12, 2003, 09:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Wow!

Well done Rafiq bhai. I didn't think it would be that close. Gotta hand it to you.
Old May 12, 2003, 11:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

Rafiq bhai, great guess. You lost it by just 1 run
Old May 13, 2003, 05:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Thanks, Sham! I am glad no one had that much time to waste late last night, but did anyone find out how much the man really scored?
Rafiq bhai, last night ??? When you posted the message, It was something around 12:30 PM in Bangladesh. In which country do you live ???
Old May 14, 2003, 02:28 PM
Cricket Legend

well, hadn't checked the board in a couple of days, but am pleased that my BS-ing skills are still intact! I live in the US, central time zone, it was Sunday night for me and the server times for these messages never really tell you when something was posted.
Old May 14, 2003, 11:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Rafiq bhai, i used to think that you live in bangladesh.