facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 10, 2011, 01:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawaherul
Can you point out one grammatical mistake?

And, see the definition of racism.

@jawaherul, really ? you dont see any ? no offense, I don't mean to teach grammar, may be someone else can help you from here. For starters, you can begin from the first sentence of "Supposedly" Lorgat's email

@RazabQ, ooh i totally side with you. He being interesting can be seen in the same way as "well known", albiet notoriously, people laugh at him not with him TBH. My point was just to ignore him, he does not know anything better . I am sure you know already, but if not , google siddhuism and see for yourself.

cheers !
Padosan

Old March 10, 2011, 01:45 PM
First Class Cricketer

http://www.sportpulse.net/content/na...be-careful-536

I think Sidhu is FIRED. Can anybody confirm?
Old March 10, 2011, 01:51 PM
Test Cricketer

well he was commenting today..................
Old March 10, 2011, 01:55 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Mushfique, Liton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheous
http://www.sportpulse.net/content/na...be-careful-536

I think Sidhu is FIRED. Can anybody confirm?
^^ it doesnot say that he is fired, It just says that he should be fired. But if he is really fired then I will consider it as a "shufa" as opposed to "kufa" for our match tonight.
Old March 10, 2011, 02:12 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padosan
@jawaherul, really ? you dont see any ? no offense, I don't mean to teach grammar, may be someone else can help you from here. For starters, you can begin from the first sentence of "Supposedly" Lorgat's email

@RazabQ, ooh i totally side with you. He being interesting can be seen in the same way as "well known", albiet notoriously, people laugh at him not with him TBH. My point was just to ignore him, he does not know anything better . I am sure you know already, but if not , google siddhuism and see for yourself.

cheers !
Padosan

"The issue that you have raised had caught into my attention and we are completely aware of the fact on this matter."

You think, there is any grammatical mistake on this line? And on account of that, you question my knowledge on english grammer? ok fine. Let me analyze it.

The sentence is a compound sentence. First part is a complex sentence. "The issue that you have raised had caught into my attention"... that here is a relative pronoun whose antecedent is "issue", in the part "you have raised" uses present perfect tense because it happened in the past but its effect is still present, if its effect were not resent then there is no point in replying to his email. then the next part "had caught into my attention" means that it had caught into Lorgat's attention even before. look at the phrasal verb "catch into" meaning .. "to attract".

The next part of the compound sentence, "we are completely aware of the fact on this matter". Here we mean ICC officials. "be aware of" means "to have knowledge or cognizance about". The total sentence means, they have the complete knowledge on the truth on the matter raised into question.

At which point did you have an inconsistency? And just point out the exact grammatical error please; don't question my grammar knowledge, you have no right to do that. I have not questioned your knowledge in any of my post.
Old March 10, 2011, 02:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawaherul
"The issue that you have raised had caught into my attention and we are completely aware of the fact on this matter."

You think, there is any grammatical mistake on this line? And on account of that, you question my knowledge on english grammer? ok fine. Let me analyze it.

The sentence is a compound sentence. First part is a complex sentence. "The issue that you have raised had caught into my attention"... that here is a relative pronoun whose antecedent is "issue", in the part "you have raised" uses present perfect tense because it happened in the past but its effect is still present, if its effect were not resent then there is no point in replying to his email. then the next part "had caught into my attention" means that it had caught into Lorgat's attention even before. look at the phrasal verb "catch into" meaning .. "to attract".

The next part of the compound sentence, "we are completely aware of the fact on this matter". Here we mean ICC officials. "be aware of" means "to have knowledge or cognizance about". The total sentence means, they have the complete knowledge on the truth on the matter raised into question.

At which point did you have an inconsistency? And just point out the exact grammatical error please; don't question my grammar knowledge, you have no right to do that. I have not questioned your knowledge in any of my post.
hey sorry man, chill. i dont mean to come at you in any other way. no offense intended.

We are straying away from the topic. to your line, do you think
"had caught into my attention " looks right to you ? i wont reply to your posts anymore, so dont waste your time analysing simple compound sentences anymore.

Again, sorry if it meant any offense. May be i shld have put it better.

cheers !
Padosan
Old March 10, 2011, 02:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padosan
hey sorry man, chill. i dont mean to come at you in any other way. no offense intended.

We are straying away from the topic. to your line, do you think
"had caught into my attention " looks right to you ? i wont reply to your posts anymore, so dont waste your time analysing simple compound sentences anymore.

Again, sorry if it meant any offense. May be i shld have put it better.

cheers !
Padosan

It's ok.

and yes that sentence is fine as long as my opinion is concerned. "catch into" is a popular phrasal verb and the use of past perfect tense in the sentence is also ok with me. anyway, i know that you will not reply to this post, i just clarified why i think that sentence is grammatically correct.

and on topic, i guess we will be sure about the authenticity of the news (or the lack thereof) in a few hours time.
Old March 10, 2011, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Interestingly, it has the "look" of being written by someone from the subcontinent. I don't know whether that means anything or not.
Which is fishy, because Lorgat is South African. Born and bred.
Old March 10, 2011, 06:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

3 words: Sidhu is Clown
Old March 10, 2011, 06:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

sidhu is an incompetent idiot. was a decent batsman, but is a total *** as a commentator.
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old March 10, 2011, 06:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

thanks u Mr.Dipun
Old March 10, 2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator

I have never come across the phrasal verb "catch into", let alone being used in the context of "catch into attention". Perhaps it is more common in the subcontinent or southern Africa. That was the first jarring element in that email. The other common error that stood out for me was the use (or lack of) articles where needed (e.g. ICC instead of the ICC in places). Again, that is a very common trait for those from the subcontinent (and also East Asia) as we tend not to use a determiner or an article in our native languages.

As someone with a bit of a linguistics background, I am interested in linguistic anthropology and the interesting way English words and phrases morph in different cultural contexts. Consider the phrase "revert back to you" that is used in the subcontinent (and parts of Europe) to mean the same as "get back to you". Anyway, I digress.

I may just be pontificating over nothing. After all, Haroon Lorgat IS of subconitental origin so he may speak and write just like that.
Old March 10, 2011, 08:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Sidhu for next BD coach ????????

lol
Old March 10, 2011, 09:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

Quote:
The issue that you have raised had caught into my attention.
this might sound weird.

Quote:
The issue had caught into my attention.
but does this sound weird? not as much. adding the extra words in between made it sound weird. this letter looks quite authentic. amra bangalira besi sondehoprobon asole.
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old March 10, 2011, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Both of the above sounds very stilted.

Try this for size:

Quote:
The issue caught my attention
More so than being suspicious, we Bangladeshis are often too think-skinned.
Old March 10, 2011, 11:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Shidhu is there in todays program as well, as I see in the commercials.

Man, this is what he can do for earning his bread, Why disturbing him? A man is too small to belittle a country, in the process he makes him a laughing stock. Just take him as a joker/comedian you wont have a problem.
Old March 11, 2011, 01:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

"had caught" ?? what kind of english is this ? he is speaking in present continuous and writing had caught ? very fishy.

but I would be grateful if someone does remove sidhu from the studio, I am unable to watch any pre or post match discussion because of his 135 decibel lectures.
Old March 11, 2011, 03:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

ESPN didn't give a **** about ICC warning. They are powerful than that!!!
Old March 12, 2011, 01:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
ESPN didn't give a **** about ICC warning. They are powerful than that!!!
Well..then flood ESPN server with 10,000 protest mails from BC members ..
we know we're good at that..dont we?
Old March 12, 2011, 02:30 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by avik-e-mam
this might sound weird.

but does this sound weird? not as much. adding the extra words in between made it sound weird. this letter looks quite authentic. amra bangalira besi sondehoprobon asole.

Caught "INTO'

You simply cannot have the word 'into'

As others have said....

-The issue caught my attention
-The issue was brought to my attention

But. NEVER

had caught into my attention.

No such thing as 'caught into my attention', it is quite frankly gibberish. Also no chance of the ICC CEO replying to something like this via email...I'd imagine a spokesperson to comment on such issues, if at all.
Old March 12, 2011, 02:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

warwolf, assuming there was a letter to ICC and a subsequent caution emanating from ICC in the first place.

at this point the whole incident looks like a made up story, terming criticism of cricketing performance as racism not the least of it.