facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 10, 2008, 03:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!
Default New format of NCL draws flak

The Bangladesh Cricket Board has planned to re-organise the format of the National Cricket League, the lone first-class competition of the country, in spite of protest by the cricketers.

According to the new plan, six divisional teams will meet each other in the preliminary round before the top four teams advance to the next round. The two teams that were last in the preliminary round will meet in a play-off match for places.

Previously the teams faced each other on the home-and-away basis and the top team in the points-table was awarded the trophy. The BCB officials found the format not competitive enough and decided to change it.
‘We have noticed in the previous seasons that the title, on a number of occasions, was decided long before the competition ended, making the last few matches virtually irrelevant,’ said Hafizur Rahman, the member-secretary of the tournament committee.

‘But with the new format, the league will be far more competitive as the teams have to go all the way through to win the title, and thus the players will have to be serious in every game,’ added the official.

But the Cricketers Welfare Association of Bangladesh said the new format will reduce the number of matches and thus reduce their earnings. The lesser number of games will also have a negative impact on the future of the country’s cricket.

In a letter to the chairman of the tournament committee, they demanded that the plan be dropped and the existing format be continued.

‘We sat with the leading first-class cricketers and the six divisional teams, who all thought that the new format would be suicidal for cricket and cricketers. The reduced number of games will not help either of them,’ said Debobroto Paul, a senior CWAB official.

However, the BCB officials brushed aside their apprehension and said it would rather be beneficial for them.
‘We are planning to increase the match fees for the players in the second round. So financially they will not be losers despite the reduced number of games. The increased match fee in the second round will make it important for the players,’ said Hafiz.

He also said the reduced number of matches would not have any negative impact on the country’s cricketing future as the BCB has planned to begin a separate competition for the top six clubs of Dhaka.

‘Previously we had 30 first-class matches in the National Cricket League. This year it will be reduced to 23. But if we count the number of matches of the CCDM Cup, the total number of first-class matches will be increased to 40 this season,’ Hafiz pointed out.

The proposed new format will also help the BCB to accommodate the CCDM Cup in the calendar, believed the officials. ‘We have a limited number of grounds and there are also other domestic competitions. So we are not in a position to afford such a long NCL tournament like the past,’ he said.

The NCL is likely to begin on October 8. The BCB has prepared a draft budget of Taka 4.21 crore, which is almost the same it was in the last year.

----------- > Link

Old September 10, 2008, 03:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

so there is going to be a final to decided the winning team? that works for me, that's how it should be imo, definitely agree that it makes it more competitive, less matches isn't good though.
Old September 10, 2008, 03:22 AM
Test Cricketer

in a league there shdn't be a final
Old September 10, 2008, 04:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

I have two points:
1. The total number of domestic first class matches must increase for cricket and cricketers future
2. NCL must me more competitive, players must play for win. By winning players should get extra incentive which will push them to try for a win as a team.

As BCB official pointed out, another 1st class tournament will be arranged which will ultimately increase the total number of 1st class matches in a year and the proposed structure will make the NCL more competitive, if all these really happens.......I am with BCB's proposal here.
Old September 10, 2008, 05:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_fan_bd

The NCL is likely to begin on October 8. The BCB has prepared a draft budget of Taka 4.21 crore, which is almost the same it was in the last year.
LIKELY to begin????????????????????

You mean BCB hasn't fix their calander yet??? If it is true then these are bunch of first class morons (gadhas)!!!

I like the new format. It will make the NCL much more competitive and will produce serious and almost international quality players.

The Bolods Welfare Association must be having a laugh...will reduce Bolods income! After easy money- eh?

Dear bolods, you gotto earn it!

BTW- What about sub-standard pitches, coaching and umpiring???
Old September 10, 2008, 06:37 AM
Cricket Legend

I'm all for this new system. I'm glad the BCB didn't give in to any of these players protesting.
Old September 10, 2008, 07:19 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, (was) Aftab

What's the law of hiring foreign players for NCL or CCDM? Is there any exists at all?

Foreign players are of many help to upcoming players. I remember Once upon a time when players like Neil Fairbrother (Don't know the exact spelling), Jayasuria, Wasim Akram and many other well known names used to play in BD cricket leagues, the league was more exciting from fans point of view. It also inspires our players to learn new techniques of the game and to network efficiently to get hired to play on foreign leagues.

What do you guys think?
Old September 10, 2008, 09:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I like the new format. However, wish more games can be played and stadium, pitches, coaches and umpires are needed. The divisional boards' autonomy is a must. That is yet to be seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashie
...What do you guys think?
Minimum of three, with only two can play in the game at a time.
Old September 10, 2008, 09:32 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash
in a league there shdn't be a final
Change will only make things better.

In a league there is also relegation, something which is not present in current NCL. So the bottom teams does not give monkey as they know they got life long ticket.

What I dont agree is reduce number of games in NCL, however if the CCDM cup goes ahead as planned to make it 40 games I will be glad to except it.
Old September 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Without knowing more about the 'proposed' changes to the CCDM cup, I can't comment on this. My first thought, the reduced matces will hurt the players from the bottom two teams. Not good for their future. Also, atleast a draft schedule for the season should have been in place since June-July of these year. More importantly, there should be a commitment from the CCDM, BCB< and the clubs to stick to the drafted timeframes. Korchi, korbo korey r kotodin cholbe?
Old September 10, 2008, 01:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

The tournaments must start bang on time and BCB should make it mandatory for the teams to have qualified coaches with all teams. Foreign players must be allowed & there should be minimum criterias fixed to maintain the standard of the players.