facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 4, 2011, 10:19 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

BDFlag Request to fans

We all understand how passionate Bangladesh fans are about their cricket team. This is in the same way the Barmy Army is about England, where Julien and me come from.

But the difference is that the Barmy Army does not boo and jeer their OWN players, only the opposition players. And this is important. NO FANS should ever boo or jeer their own players. The fans are a PART OF THE TEAM. Fans have a big role to play at the World Cup by being the extra player in the team.

I am certain that all fans expect the players and coaches to support each other. I am sure the fans expect the players and coaches to try their best. I am sure all fans expect when things go wrong, for the players and coaches to get behind each other.

We expect the fans to do the same.

So this is a request. Please can all bangladesh fans agree to support the whole squad whatever happens. Support Bangladesh regardless of whether they win easily or not. Shout and cheer for the Tigers even if the game is not going to plan. This really is the DUTY of every fan. Because REAL fans do not make the game harder by booing and jeering their own players.

The final thing to remember is that ONLY our players understand Bangla anyway. So the booing and jeering doesn't affect the opposition teams, only our own.

Let's take this chance at the 2011 World Cup to show the world that we have the world's best supporters. And that whatever happens the boys are national heros for fighting for our cause and trying to win the World Cup.

The players will be nervous and they will make mistakes. But they will be trying 100% and need your full support ESPECIALLY if things go wrong. This is the very time they need it most of all!

New Zealand squad said they felt intimidated by the atmosphere at Mirpur and the noise was crazy loud. This is what we want. This is our advantage. Shouting and screaming for every run we score, erupting and lifting the roof off for every wicket we take. And silence if it goes against us. The opposition will feel very unsettled. We should make them feel unsettled with noise and flags and cheering for our boys.

Everyone of you can play your part in this world cup. If you boo and jeer, you are not part of the effort to win the World Cup. So I sincerely hope that you can join us in trying to lift the trophy, because we are doing it for you guys! We want the fans to have fun and we want to have fun too.

Support us Bangladesh - all the way

Last edited by Ian Pont; February 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM..

Old February 4, 2011, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Amen.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old February 4, 2011, 10:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Signed.

Mods can you guys please make this thread sticky for the duration of the world cup. Thanks.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Thank you for this message Coach Pont. We all really hope that the boys do well and we will be behind them 100%.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:33 PM
Test Cricketer

I hear ya Coach Pont !!!!

win or lose, Bangladesh till the grave !! C'monnn TIGERSSS!!

And BARMY ARMYY!!

(okay Im gonna quietly leave before I get shot)
Old February 4, 2011, 10:36 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Top post..
Old February 4, 2011, 10:36 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Good day or bad day; real fans are always behind the tigers!
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:40 PM
Administrator

This thread has been made sticky. I would like to request all members here to give coach's request the widest possible circulation. Please pass on this link and the request to all friends and family who are cricket fans. Please post to forums, mailing lists, social networks like Facebook etc, wherever this is on topic and relevant. If you have friends and family who are journalists please ask them to come down here and pass on the coach's request.

Professionals are turning our cricketers into professionals. Our cricketers are putting heart and soul into this. Let us support them and be true and not fair-weather fans.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Almost made me emotional to see how all our coaches and players are putting their heart and soul in the game. This is exactly what BanCricFan bhai pointed out earlier today. We need awareness. Unfortunately in our home country where crowds come/came from all background literacy was a big issue. So we definitely need more awareness and educating the crowds either through ads or articles [hopefully in Bangla].

But this thread is definitely the biggest first step. I salute you Ian!

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 4, 2011, 10:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Quote:

Hey Coach,

I guess almost all the questions have been answered and I am deeply impressed by your answers and I do feel strongly you have done a great job. I don't have any questions for you, but I do have some words to say before this world cup starts.

I guess you know about the expectations of the Bangladeshi people, we are an emotional bunch and no matter how ambitious or impossible it may sound we do want our team to go through to the quarters or even make it to the finals and win which would be more than a dream come true. I don't know yet how we will react to losses but I do expect a backlash if we lose against Ireland and worse Netherlands. I probably think it is discussed in the camp but I would like to repeat even if it has been discussed in the camp.

You need to back the players mentally. Bangladeshi people will expect and not all of us are logical and reasonable when it comes to probably one of the best things that has happened to us after our independence. Abuses will be hurled as well as praises. I am afraid there is a lot of people who are just emotional and give up a lot to watch and expect the tigers to win. I personally would if I could be there when the team loses and motivate them for the 6 matches against the best of the best, but as my message to you, I think you have the capacity and the position to do that, motivate them and make them give their best shot. We want a fight and then a win. Make them stay away from the media but not family and well wishers. Don't any negative influence feel down. In any career it is imperative to focus, be determined and be willing to work hard in order to be successful. As a team I hope they gel well and back each other. I also hope there is a game plan in each game against each player which is executed at the field. Don't be afraid to be bold, after-all fortune does favor the brave. I feel this is the best team to represent Bangladesh at the moment, I know we will get better, I honestly feel there is a slot for a fast bowling all rounder which we lack like Shane Watson or Abdul Razzak, but with time we will have that as well.

A lot of games will get close, the team can either win or lose. We must prepare them mentally to handle pressure situations and no way be chokers. And god willing we will come out succesful but if we don't I hope the players are ready for the next match with the same level of enthusiasm and focus as before. There is a lot said about the India match but we have 5 other matches out of which we can win 2 atleast, and go close with West Indies.

As we have seen in the past 2 series, there hasn't been any catches put down and some brilliant run outs (Naeem's game changing run out agains NZ comes to mind) as well as the ground fielding has been amazing. We need to keep the tempo high and the intensity high in the field and I guess you are working hard and I believe we will see that in the field. Make the players believe that there are 6 matches to win and show the world and themselves that this is what they have dreamt for and every Bangladeshi will talk about for years to come. It shouldn't be pressure but inspiration for them. There is also a statistics which goes in favor of Bangladesh beating the opposition and counting the dew factor in we should definitely bat second and restrict with the opposition with a tight bowling performance. Back your best fielders to be in the team, 20 runs saved is as important as 20 runs scored and that is simple.

Prepare your players for everything, all kinds of situations. But prepare them to win first. I guess it is unfair to want so much of such a young team with no back to back major victories in a consistent basis over the past few years, but this world cup is the first world cup played at home. There will be some major expectations. But we are better than the Indian fans I can assure you that, we don't burn down our players homes. We still pack the stadiums after 3-4 years of no wins. We support the tigers no matter what. Every tiger fan in this forum has a story to tell. Mine in short is I am packing to leave for home in a few days taking a break from employment from thousand miles to be with friends and family to watch not just cricket but our nation being represented infront of the whole world hoping we stand up for the occasion and hold our head high in the end.
Hey Ian, I had posted this on the discussion thread with Julien, it's better to be reading from you what I firmly believe, and the best thing of all that you said.... SCARE THEM.... AND SCARE THEM WE WILL
Old February 4, 2011, 11:13 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
This thread has been made sticky. I would like to request all members here to give coach's request the widest possible circulation. Please pass on this link and the request to all friends and family who are cricket fans. Please post to forums, mailing lists, social networks like Facebook etc, wherever this is on topic and relevant. If you have friends and family who are journalists please ask them to come down here and pass on the coach's request.

Professionals are turning our cricketers into professionals. Our cricketers are putting heart and soul into this. Let us support them and be true and not fair-weather fans.
Would it help if someone could translate my post at the top into Bangla and post it too?
Old February 4, 2011, 11:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Right on coach Pont!

Win or lose, we are with the Tigers, day in and day out! Always all the love, support and our sincere prayers and good thoughts are with all the Bangladesh cricketers! Khulna to Chittagong, Coast to Coast!

Viva Bangladesh!
Old February 4, 2011, 11:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Something like this shouldn't even have to be stated but emotions always get the best of fans (especially those who attend the matches). However a message board like this or Social Media movement won't be wouldn't nearly be as effective if Tamim (in Chittagong) and Shakib (Mirpuir) could just state what you stated a week before the Matches begin.

If we backed them in the Dark Days no reason not continue to cheer for their success.

Once a Tiger Fan, always a Tigers fan for life
Old February 4, 2011, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Cricman has a great thought. Ian - do you think you can ask Tamim or Shakib et al to make a call like this whenever they speak to the press. If they have statement they would like to make to the fans they could pass it on to you and you to us.
Old February 4, 2011, 11:43 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sean williams

hmmm .

coach say some good things
Old February 4, 2011, 11:47 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Thank You Ian,
This is exactly what i have been trying to tell our fans in Facebook where we see people swearing at players just because they don't like them as much. We must all support the team and be united.
Old February 5, 2011, 12:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

National Coach Pont,

This is one of the reasons why I refrain myself from hurting another player's feelings anytime and urging other BC members to not insult them through nicknames even though he may be performing below par. about 98.99% of the time my effort goes in vain.

RESPECT to you for bringing up a very important issue

although discussion >>>>>insult, if a player is performing badly, fans discuss their heart out about
"what went wrong, and what needs to be done about it" which in My Opinion, should be enouraged and thus acceptable. Discussion will shed lights and insight for

1. enhancing fans understanding of the game.
2. focus on improvement...

again, thank you for taking the time to actively participate in this intellectually diverse forum to clear out misconceptions about the national team in addition to enlightening us with insightful Team info, how things are done, etc...
Old February 5, 2011, 12:22 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Tigers On 3.. TIGERS on 3..
1, 2, 3...
Old February 5, 2011, 12:26 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Well said, Ian.

Personally I have no doubt that the real fans, which I believe the majority are, will be fully supportive of the boys, whatever the outcome, just as they always have been throughout the many ups and downs of this team. I think that goes without saying.

There will always be some fans who let emotions get the better of them, but I don't believe it would ever escalate to booing. Hopefully the fans will do their part to create a thunderous atmosphere inside the stadium. Though, like a few have said already, it wouldn't hurt if the players themselves made a plea to the spectators during any TV appearances they make leading up to the tournament.
Old February 5, 2011, 12:30 AM
Club Cricketer

Vaiz i have an idea.we should hang a banner in every gate of mirpur stadium saying "jitbo na hoi harbo,tobu bangladesh doler sathe thakbo" from bc.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old February 5, 2011, 12:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Thanks Coach.

Now I won't see any Ash bashings for next 2 months.
Old February 5, 2011, 12:36 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

... Tigers
Old February 5, 2011, 12:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamreza
Vaiz i have an idea.we should hang a banner in every gate of mirpur stadium saying "jitbo na hoi harbo,tobu bangladesh doler sathe thakbo" from bc.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
that actually sounds like a very catchy and effective slogan. perhaps that could be fan moto???

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 5, 2011, 12:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Great Post, fantastic Mr.Ian

We may be too passionate but at the end of the day it's a sport and we should show true sportsmanship...

If they play good we clap and cheer, scream our lungs out, we should do the same when they are having bad times because it will encourage the players more which is our responsibility...

Booing stops here!...

Thank You Sir for your request...I wish all the fans present at the stadium could read your post!
Old February 5, 2011, 12:41 AM
Banned

I truely believe no one from this forum would boo the cricketers. The message needs to reach the greater public more importantly. Can I make a request to the BC members who are going to the stadium in this WC, please carry big banners asking fans to support our cricketers unconditionally and refrain from booing. Our cricketers need more cheers when they are down, not the opposite.
And if what Cricman has suggested can be done that might as well change our sports culture forever.