facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 24, 2011, 06:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

I'm thankful specially to Zunaid Bhai, for his suggestions prior to buying iPad 2. The only issue was PDF editing for me, but I got excellent third party softwares, which are even more efficient than editors I used to use on my laptop. I'm a business owner (Small Business) and my iPad supports me in extensive bidding of any nature. I don't find any problem doing 100% of my work on iPad. Intact my laptop has been redundant for last 3/4 months. I couldn't find any reason to use it since I got my iPad2.

Thanks guys once again, for all your positive comments on iPad. I'm happily mobile and efficient. I already got worth 1+ million dollars of contracts in last 3 months using my iPad alone. Why do I need a laptop?

And I'm better entertained than my laptop can offer me. You need a laptop for video / editing at a pro level or software dev I guess, well I'm not into that business.

Old November 24, 2011, 07:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
If you can afford it, go with the ipad, all those people content with android, don't know what they are missing.

t.
iPad is not really expensive, hardly any difference in price with other tabs. This is a misconception. Success of iPad I think has lot to do with it's aggressive pricing.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Old November 24, 2011, 08:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

Thanks guys once again, for all your positive comments on iPad. I'm happily mobile and efficient. I already got worth 1+ million dollars of contracts in last 3 months using my iPad alone. Why do I need a laptop?.
The real question is how much of that were you able to pocket using iPad? I think u need some excel/windows for that :p

Old November 24, 2011, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
The real question is how much of that were you able to pocket using iPad? I think u need some excel/windows for that :p

Google docs, baby. Just do it. On the cloud.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Zunaid bhai please elaborate some on cloud for me. I want to know and get the benefit. Advance thanks.

Old November 24, 2011, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
Zunaid bhai please elaborate some on cloud for me. I want to know and get the benefit. Advance thanks.

Simply - it is the new computing model where software, services, storage, applications are all provided via the internet. All you need is fast and ubiquitous access to the internet -which is getting more and more true all over the world including Bangladesh. You do not need to have local storage nor do you need to buy software for installation locally on your device - applications and even entire platforms are supplied via the internet and you access them via a web browser or other internet enable apps. You don't need a powerful machine to run local software, let the cloud service provider take care of that - as well as backup, redundancy and security.

More and more businesses are moving to the cloud and cloud based applications. Google docs started the way and now you have a whole suite of Google apps for the enterprise. And being on the cloud - you can have access from anywhere (with net access of course) and you can collaborate with anyone. Both MicroSoft and Apple has jumped on the cloud bandwagon - this is the new paradigm.

I've been on the cloud for several years.

My company uses Google Apps for all our 'office' software needs. While we need local computing h/w for some of our software development, we have also used cloud based development on the Amazon EC2 .

All my personal documents, pictures, videos have been digitized and now reside on the cloud. While I do have redundant back-ups on my laptop and a NAS drive, I have this additional security of knowing Google can take protect my stuff better than I can.

I had been using quicken for years for my personal finance, but now I am starting to use in parallel Intuit's Mint.com, which is a cloud based personal finance software.

These days, I am less and less working on my latop - only when I am doing coding, or creating documents or graphics work. Most of the time, I am on the iPad.
Old November 25, 2011, 12:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Thanks a lot boss. I was thinking about using a finance software for my personal finance. Looks like your Intuit's Mint.com might help me a lot in this regard. I would be able to access from anywhere.

So boss to start from I would go through with google docs for docs and excell type work? Is google the only access point for cloud computing or is ther any sort of launch pad or it's available in the net?

World is changing very fast.... Looks like in the future we wouldn't have to go for any installation sort of matters anymore... Sharing would be theme. It's good to see we as a human race would be more friendly and communicating with each other through sharing with each other and would be streaching our hands to each other in a effective way.

Thanks again Boss.
Old November 25, 2011, 12:28 AM
Administrator

It depends on what you want Auntu. More and more company's are offering cloud services. You have the big ones like Google, Apple, Microsoft, IBM and then you have small startups and upstarts. Some may die and some will survive. You use what you need.

For example, for my company I use Google Apps for email, group ware as well as office applications. They have matured enough. Alternatively, MS too is offering similar services. For CRM, I use salesforce.com (which is a SaaS - software as a service). Nowadays , you also have entire PaaS (Platform as a service) - in my previous company we were building such platforms - where you supply the framework and other vendors use your platform to make custom applications. My daughther's current school as well as her previous school used Google Apps for email, calendering and collaboration augmented by other software.

Just do remember - cloud computing is a broad term meaning many things to many people. In it's simplest form, you access the service via the internet and you do not care about the location or configuration of the system that delivers the services.
Old November 25, 2011, 02:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb

Bhai, iPad has very convenient word and excel equivalent, I.e. Pages and numbers .. And it's apple software (not third party)

Well my iPad has a pocket, I have. All profits are coming to my pocket I guess. any way, it doesn't mean I wouldn't have made it without iPad, but the point is, I made it with iPad alone. There are thousands of applications in App store and they are cheap. U just need to find out what u need.

Yes, there are minor problems like u can't recover certain data once deleted, but the best thing is, you can forget about ctrl+s option all together. U never need to save anything. There are so many such reliefs from windows bugs/unnecessary botherations.
Old June 1, 2012, 03:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Wouldn't usually bump an old thread, but this was sort of relevant.
I made my mind to buy an Ipad a while back but then there were talks of Apple releasing their latest version, so had to wait a little longer.

Bought the new Ipad the other day and I'm glad I did !!
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old April 9, 2013, 05:04 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I've been thinking of buying a tablet PC/Ipad for myself for a while now. But can't decide which one will be the best one for me.

Reason : Primarily for making presentation during business meetings. Basically, instead of carrying a laptop, I'd rather carry a tab, obviously more convenient. I would also like to use it for other regular purpose like browsing the net, checking mails etc.

I understand IPAD doesn't allow MS Office Suites like Word and Powerpoint and has got other limitations. But having an ipod and iphone, I'm undoubtedly biased and inclined towards IPad, though not sure how fitting it would serve my purpose.

I know some of our members are using tabs for business,personal reasons. Many of you are also better tech-savvy than me.

So can you guys plz advice me which one should I go for ??
Hello guys just using this old thread. I need new tablet which fits my $300 budget. Can you recommend the most appropriate options?

Last edited by GregoryVau; April 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM..
Old April 9, 2013, 06:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

I'm thinking of getting iPad mini. It serves most of my purposes I'm looking for in a tablet except watching cricket when I'm on the go. I'm also curious to learn about people's opinion on Surface.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:52 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

You can watch cricket using skyfire on ipad.... Thats what i use. As far as i know Surface is wifi only which is a deal breaker for me.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryVau
Hello guys just using this old thread. I need new tablet which fits my $300 budget. Can you recommend the most appropriate options?
Welcome to BC

If you add $100 more dollars, you might get a good tablet with HD resolution!

Google Nexus 10
Old April 10, 2013, 06:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
You can watch cricket using skyfire on ipad.... Thats what i use. As far as i know Surface is wifi only which is a deal breaker for me.
Thanks for the info. I'm aware of skyfire but heard when you view live stream, it buffers a lot. I've decided to get the iPad mini now and maybe some Android tablet with a bigger screen later.
Old April 10, 2013, 07:49 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

I bought two versions of the skyfire (iphone and ipad) and i found the iphone version works better on the ipad. The quality of the stream is not great but when you don't have any alternatives and badly want to watch the Tigers play, i would say it's a good option to have. I didn't have any buffering issues but did have problems closing the pop-up ads.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I bought two versions of the skyfire (iphone and ipad) and i found the iphone version works better on the ipad. The quality of the stream is not great but when you don't have any alternatives and badly want to watch the Tigers play, i would say it's a good option to have. I didn't have any buffering issues but did have problems closing the pop-up ads.
Same here. The pop-ups are sometimes hard to kill.
Old April 10, 2013, 10:56 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^^ Puffin is another good alternative. In my experience it works better than SkyFire with no pop up or ads. But it's not free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puff...406239138?mt=8
Old April 11, 2013, 09:35 PM
Cricket Legend

iPad mini is awesome...loving it. Puffin seems pretty good.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
^^ Puffin is another good alternative. In my experience it works better than SkyFire with no pop up or ads. But it's not free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puff...406239138?mt=8
It's not SKyFire pop-up - SkyFire is not Free either - it's those darned pop-ups on the streams that you have to x out.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:36 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
It's not SKyFire pop-up - SkyFire is not Free either - it's those darned pop-ups on the streams that you have to x out.
Z bhai... I used to struggle with it before as you can't turn it off from the video screen so what i try to do now is to wait for the pop-up timer to expire before i press play on the flash enabled video. That strategy has worked well so far.