facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 8, 2006, 11:42 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Habibul Bashar - Captaincy????

We are in the winning mood now. Zimbabwe is in poor form in recent days. New players from Bangladeshi sides are performing their best. But we should not think that we could overcome with other test playing country with this performance. Sometime captaincy also matter, a wrong decision in the field also could cost to give-up a wining match.

I really do not understand, how Bashar use his bowler in the field? How he decide to change the bowler? How he can allow a pacer to bowl for 8-9 over contineously. How he is giving ball to the spinner in the slog overs? We have to prepare ourself for stronger opponent. We may not perform well against strong opponent with poor captaincy.

Either we should learn from our fault immediately or change our captain to new one who will not use his own good or bad relations with his team-mates. Appreciate your comments on this issue.

Old December 9, 2006, 01:42 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Bashar has captained well in this series. Proactive with his field placings, and bowling changes.
Old December 9, 2006, 01:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

But the loser is scared to take bold decisions which is why he chose to bowl first today.
Old December 9, 2006, 08:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Dude.. loser? haha..no..not really.. securing the win comes first..for a minnow TEAM like us..Trust that.
Cricket : Its always what the situation asks for..Zimbos cant score when the spinners on..Its not bashar's wrong decision..its his right..Go check the stats.. low runs in the last 10 Overs.. and dont count Rasel as a seamer!
Habibul Bashar really deserves some credit for his captaincy in this series.
Old December 9, 2006, 08:10 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I am quite pleased with his captaincy in this series and in his 50th ODI as captain, he guided us to victory with a captains knock.

Well done!!
Old December 9, 2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

We won the match for him today ..........

He's a very good captain to guide the team to manage to get the whitewash .......
Old December 9, 2006, 08:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

I thought Bashar's decision to bowl Razzak as the first change in this series was brilliant. Thorughout the whole series BD bowlers kept a tight control over the Zim batsmen- undoubtedly some credit for this will go to Bashar's captaincy. The captain's job is to do sensible things mostly, not doing extraordinary things all the time. Bashar is doing just that so give the guy a break! Besides, the way he shepherded the tailenders today was simply fantastic! He ensured that we complete the whitewash. A whitewash against the Zimbos may seem ordinary to some people. But be realistic- for a team like BD it is still a huge acheivement so the team deserves our congrats and support.
Old December 9, 2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

We all have seen how Bangladesh did when Basher was injured and Pilot captained the team against Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe.

At this moment, Bashar is the best choice we have.
Old December 9, 2006, 09:46 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

yea, Bashar is the right chice at the moment..and he is doing well.
Old December 9, 2006, 10:02 AM
First Class Cricketer

actually it was not only him who make the decission that they gonna field first today.............cause they r thinkin about WHITEWASH....
Old December 9, 2006, 05:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Some of the BC fans here are so, lack of word, weird. Some days ago they wanted Bashar out of the team. They are always at his captancy. The team always need players like him in the middle. Infact I think he shud come at No. 4 and have Ash in 5th. About captancy , he actually did pretty good in this series. Like having Razzak bowl in first change and not Rafique. Anyway, the whole team played better this time around and congrats for that.
Old December 9, 2006, 08:43 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protic
Dude.. loser? haha..no..not really.. securing the win comes first..for a minnow TEAM like us..Trust that.
Cricket : Its always what the situation asks for..Zimbos cant score when the spinners on..Its not bashar's wrong decision..its his right..Go check the stats.. low runs in the last 10 Overs.. and dont count Rasel as a seamer!
Habibul Bashar really deserves some credit for his captaincy in this series.
Ditto
Old December 9, 2006, 09:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Habib never impressed me...not at all...very casual in captaincy ...in batting ...in fielding...in body language also. I don't like him.
Old December 9, 2006, 10:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Bashar has done a good job as captain in this series. He should be the captain until he decides to retire.

although i admit he can be very defensive when playing against top teams. but given our record who wouldnt be. and his experience is invaluable.
Old December 9, 2006, 10:50 PM
Cricket Legend

The main reason everyone is saying that Haba has done great is because he is the only choice right now like Ashraful. If we had a natural borne leader in our cricket then surely we would have replaced him by now. But sadly there is no one to take the leadership from him. SN needs more time. So let's wait.

As for the decision of bowling first in the final ODI- well if he was thinking about the WC he would have sent his batsmen to kill the Zim bowlers and score a huge one. But he didn't do it for two reasons 1>To whitewash Zimbabwe 2> He was scared of batting. What I believe is he has no positive mentality, lacking in killing instinct. A captain without the killing instinct is bound to be a looser.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old December 10, 2006, 01:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Bashar captained well in the series......i cant find any wrong decision....well done Bashar.......also right now he is the only choice available and doing good.....lets appreciate him and back him.......instead of bashing him
Old December 10, 2006, 01:44 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
The main reason everyone is saying that Haba has done great is because he is the only choice right now like Ashraful. If we had a natural borne leader in our cricket then surely we would have replaced him by now. But sadly there is no one to take the leadership from him. SN needs more time. So let's wait.

As for the decision of bowling first in the final ODI- well if he was thinking about the WC he would have sent his batsmen to kill the Zim bowlers and score a huge one. But he didn't do it for two reasons 1>To whitewash Zimbabwe 2> He was scared of batting. What I believe is he has no positive mentality, lacking in killing instinct. A captain without the killing instinct is bound to be a looser.
I agree with you. there is no other choice.
Old December 10, 2006, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

this whole "no other choice" argument is pretty vague. of course we have no other choice. would SN make it to the team if dhoni was born in bangladesh? if we could, we would replace the entire XI with better players. you gotta pick the best from what you have, and no matter how good they are, it remains a fact that we suck compared to the stronger teams. so it shouldn't come as a surprise that inzamam>bashar, or the pakistani captain > the bangladeshi captain (replace with any names you want).
Old December 10, 2006, 04:47 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Another poor thread i would say.

Guess everything has been said and done ...
so i wont repeat..
but just another poor thread.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 10, 2006, 04:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Habibul Bashar is Not a Good Captain. He is The Most Successfull Because Previous Captains Couldn't Perform Well Enough. Habibul Bashar has to Improve a Lot as a Captain.

What Can He Do? A Big Question.

He has to Change his Appearance, Technique of Using Bowlers, Selection of Player and Resize the Batting order.

But, I Think BCB still Do Not Allow Him to Take any Decission Independently. The Main Think Tank is Whatmore. Still BCB cannot Depend on Habibul Bashar. So..............
Old December 10, 2006, 07:39 AM
Test Cricketer

As someone pointed out, the immediate alternative is Khaled Mashud. On this basis, I'm quite happy to see him kept on.

That said, Bashar has a history of indecisiveness, meek leadership and tactical naivety. Hoewver, he has done an adequate job in this series, in fairness to him.
Old December 10, 2006, 10:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

yet Habibul Bashar is the best we have as a captain at the moment, so we have to continue with him for atleast 2 or 3 more years ...
Old December 10, 2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I think after the world cup, we will see change in captian, Shahriar will take over.
Old December 10, 2006, 11:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Bashar might not be the best captain, but there isn't an immediate solution at this moment. Yup...seeing SN as the vice captain, that's what comes on mind: he's next. But not in the next one year I believe. I would like to see Bashar stick around for 2 more years though...coz SN isn't that mature yet.
Old December 10, 2006, 12:45 PM
Cricket Legend

In the Channel I program 'AKTEL Over-the-Wicket' Rakibul Hassan and Mondal were asked about the same concern of captaincy and the role of HB as a captain. Both of them agreed that there is no scope of thinking about any change till the WC. Moreover, HB has performed his best in this series. There are few points from this series I could feel the difference:
1. In this series, HB was found to be more caring and supporting to the players. As an example, when Shahadat was delivering wide balls continuously, he just supported him by smiles, talks, back-rubs and letting him to continue. That helped him to come back stronger in the next spell.
2. He brought some fantastic variation in bowling order, which already has been discussed by other members.
3. He was bold enough to discuss openly about 'delicate' and 'touchy' matters, like exclusion of KM. He did not remain so called diplomatic, rather pointed out the requirements of a WK in present days, which KM is lacking but praised him as the best Keeper of the soil.
4. During this series, his statements were balanced and measured.
5. He did not care for his personal benefit, and came down to 4th and 5th position according to the requirement of the situation.
You can add some more points, I believe.

But I agree with Mahmood Bhai, that Shahriar Nafees is the next captain, and he will be very much befitting captain of BD team ever had. Already few things have attracted my attention:
1. He has a strong personality like that of Sourav Ganguly
2. He has a good oral communication skill
3. He has a clear vision of the Team's business.
4. He always keeps the Team ahead of individuals.
And many more. He is going to lead Bangladesh for long time in near future, I believe.
You may put your comments, please.