facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 12, 2007, 06:17 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Can we take a bold decision about the captaincy of our ODI team?

I have to admit Bashar isn't enjoying ODI cricket for a while. We desperately need a viable and long term replacement for our ODI team. Bashar should remain captain of our test team for the next 2 years before retiring from all forms of cricket.

Now we need someone who is a performer and have a confirm place in the ODI XI. (SN was in our plan but he has already lost his place in the team).

I can see only 5 players matching the criteria except Rafiq (who is not a long term alternative)

Sakib
Ashraful
Aftab
Razzak
Mashrafe

Why not we take a bold decision like South Africa took when they awarded Graeme Smith the captaincy?

Ashraful and Aftab lacks maturity to lead from the front and Mashrafe is prone to injury. That lefts Razzak and Sakib in the race. IMO, Sakib wins the race due to his maturity and good command over English.

Let's make Sakib the captain of our team. Talks about his technique, branding some some Jr. should be long gone. He is consistently performing against each and every teams and has got exceptional maturity.

Well, this is not a knee jerk thread and please put your thoughts behind your choice.

Last edited by Miraz; April 12, 2007 at 06:26 AM..

Old April 12, 2007, 06:30 AM
Test Cricketer

All these guys are our best performer........i don't think they have reached to that level yet to lead the team.....i'm afraid their performance may hamper due to the pressure of captaincy. WE should have a captain who is playing internation cricket for long time and senior in the team. See, in our country senior/ junior matters a lot. I'm not really sure how others will take it if Sakib is elected as captain. And captaincy is not about playing good and leading the team, they need to handle so many things such as selecting the players, handling the media and so on.

Too bad, we don't have a potential captain yet.
Old April 12, 2007, 06:33 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any consistent performer

If talking in English is a criterion; then we need to coach them in English too);

Bashar is fine as a captain. He is a bit soft; but he is able to keep the players shine with their individual effort. None of the players were comfortable in that pace attack yesterday. But I am happy the team did fightt till the end.
Old April 12, 2007, 06:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Bashar's fom has been a worrying factor. I think he should take a break in the next game...

I am not willing to rule out SN from captaincy yet... Musfique has captained the the U-19 before so he definitely has some leadership qualities.

I agree with Miraz, that Ash and aftab should not be captain of the team.
Old April 12, 2007, 06:54 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I have to admit Bashar isn't enjoying ODI cricket for a while. We desperately need a viable and long term replacement for our ODI team.
Thanks for admitting that at last!!

Old April 12, 2007, 07:02 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747
All these guys are our best performer........i don't think they have reached to that level yet to lead the team.....i'm afraid their performance may hamper due to the pressure of captaincy. WE should have a captain who is playing internation cricket for long time and senior in the team. See, in our country senior/ junior matters a lot. I'm not really sure how others will take it if Sakib is elected as captain. And captaincy is not about playing good and leading the team, they need to handle so many things such as selecting the players, handling the media and so on.

Too bad, we don't have a potential captain yet.
That's why I have said a "bold decision"

Graeme Smith played only 22 ODI before awarding captaincy and South Africa had much more big names than Bangladesh.

Our Sakib has played more ODI than Smith (at the point of awarding captaincy) and performed better. (50.70 avg. compared to Smith's 41.14)
Old April 12, 2007, 07:04 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisermatin
If talking in English is a criterion; then we need to coach them in English too);
Captain represents your country. A smart player with good command over English (as he will always be asked questions in English) is definitely a better choice.
Old April 12, 2007, 07:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

I would like to go for Razzak. He is 24 and the eldest in our young group. He is attacking person and understands the game well. He is also a automatic choice in the game. Saqib is also very good. But he is still too young to take the responsibility.

Last edited by WarWolf; April 12, 2007 at 07:14 AM..
Old April 12, 2007, 07:27 AM
Club Cricketer

Well its really hard to choose a captain from the current team right now. It's my feeling that it's all the pressure and expactation beyond expectation to play the semifinal had led Bashar to perform badly. We could drop Bashar if we had a replacement for captaincy. But unfortunately, we have no choice. So, let us give (if the selectors and you all think like me ) Bashar to play next five matches. After the India series we shall be able to reach the final stage to make a BOLD decision.

At the same time we can think like the Aus team. What matters if Hussey or Symonds is not performing while the team is doing well!! IMO BD has played exceptionally well in the WC. So, lets give our captain some more time. Please....
Old April 12, 2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

If you want go with lead by example, Masrafi should be the first choice. The argument against him is he never captained any team. If someone experienced in captaining the team is what you are looking for, then Mushfiq is your only choice.
Old April 12, 2007, 07:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
If you want go with lead by example, Masrafi should be the first choice. The argument against him is he never captained any team. If someone experienced in captaining the team is what you are looking for, then Mushfiq is your only choice.
Mashrafi has a tendency for getting injured. If he has to sit back due to injury in few games then we would be in great trouble. Mushfiq is too young as i feel. Also his place is not permanent in the team so far. We need someone who is a bit matured and has pemanent place in the team. I only find Razzak or Saqib in this category.
Old April 12, 2007, 07:59 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Sakib is a good choice if we want to change ODI captain right after WC (which is the right time, IMO). But the selectors may want to play it safe, and select Bashar for both India and Srilanka ODI series.

Then we have a long break with only 20-20 WC in the meantime. Bashar will definitely not play the 20-20 WC. Someone will have to step up as captain. Depending on performance of India and Srilanka Test/ODI series, it will probably be SN (if he regains form) or Sakib. We can keep the 20-20 captain as permanent ODI captain. I think our selectors will follow this safer route.
Old April 12, 2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Mashrafi has a tendency for getting injured.
That was a long time ago. When is the last time you see him injured and missed games after game?

Look back at pacer captains in history. Just cause in the begining of their career, they were getting injured a lot did not stop them from becoming a captain, when they were at their pick.
Old April 12, 2007, 08:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS

i will still go for SN for now.if he does well with both bat and captaincy,he will remain.if not,then the others...i think if habib is not in the team,sn can play himself at no.5 or 3,which is at the moment looking better for him,then opening.i really think he can do well for our team if he comes at no.5,sending ashraful at no.3,sakib at no.4.although,he also can comeback and deliver goods as opening batsman also.

but sakib is not matured enough,nor is ash or aftab,mashrafe is not a captain material...razzak,if we play in a bouncy pitch,pacy pitch,we may sometime play two spinners and rafique may get ahead of him,then,what will we do?also,he is not a good test bowler,if he becomes captain,we perhaps have to have to captains in different forms.
so,sn.
Junior
Junior
Old April 12, 2007, 08:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Yes! the point is decision for long term. Razzak's inclusion in the team is ok for home games, subcontinent games even in games in WI wickets. I can't say for sure we would have Razzak if we are playing a match in the fast tracks of Australia or SA. Both Razzak and rafique in that case. we would need 4 seamers and have Sakib.

Sakib: We learn from our history. May be he is the one but didn't we say that last year about SN? One year performing great next year getting married and performing NIqbal type or worse can put us back to square one.

We must look for Short-term instead of the long term situation. In 2008, we visit both Australia and SA. I am sure Ricky Ponting would have the curators special instruction to make the pitch as bouncy as possible. And for South Africa, the revenge factor will be flying high.

SA has some players who are seasoned and veteran. We have a basically a under 25 team now. So what they can do we can't.

I am as confused as anyone to whom to give the batton. May be Rafique, cause his seniority would held the team together. Otherwise we may experience what Pakistan is experience. Infigthing. That is the last thing we want to copy.
Old April 12, 2007, 09:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I think best man for the job would be a PERFORMING Tusher. he had been captaining A side for long time. most of these guys has played under him and he can lead from the front and he is pretty young and also very aggressive. So What's the problem? His performance in NTL team.

Since there no one currently in the team has sealed his position (yes its too early for sakib too, look last year SN was top and where is he now?). So i suggest get some one from the old side like Rafiq make a mid shift captain and take Tusher in place of bashar and At least give him 3 tour (home and away). If he comes good I am very confident he will cause class is permanent form is not. And since he scored so many runs for the A team and lead from the front in many occasion If he performs well after those 4/5 tour make him the captain keeping 2011 in mind.
that's my 2c

BTW IN SA they did that cause they had a generation of cricketers they couldn't trust anymore. which is not our case.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 12, 2007, 09:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

If tushar becomes captain I can see the infighting start.
Old April 12, 2007, 09:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
I would like to go for Razzak. He is 24 and the eldest in our young group. He is attacking person and understands the game well.
I start liking Razzak, specially of his attacking nature in bowling department. He already mad himslef a must in the ODI team.

However I have some reservation about him when we are talking about team captaincy.

Reason?

Yesterday the way he batted, looked like he is anoth 'Gadha'. He is supposed to be a good enough lower end batsman. But instead of understanding the situation and learning from how Mushfiq batted, he didn't improvised based on team situation. He should have just try to hold in one and and let Sakib bat and score some runs. If we could have streched that innings to 180, we could still make a good game out of that lousy batting.

That just tells me, he may be a good player, not may not be 'good captain'.

Now, about other suggested players?

Ashraful, Aftab : A BIG NO !!!!

Mashrafe: Yes (near term). However past history with injury is a problem.

Sakib: Yes (future). However we would risk over-burdening him.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
If tushar becomes captain I can see the infighting start.
why is that? I mean most of these player played under him so why you think that way?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 12, 2007, 10:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I like the idea of Mushy doing the captain's job. Long-term solution, he can stick for the next 15 years if necessary (for real).

SN is like aij asi to kaal nai. And Rafiq is not a long term solution. Sakib, not sure if he's a captaincy material. He's not vocal enough. His team will rule over him. Ashraful, I wouldn't put any pressure on him as yet. And Mashrafee, he should concentrate on bowling.

The real captaincy material that we really have at this moment is Mushy. Vocal, on top of everything, and definitely strong for his age.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:09 AM
Test Cricketer

If you're going to make someone captain, it's got to be to be someone who is guaranteed inclusion in the team for at least the next 3 years, the only player I can think of who fits in that criterion is Mashrafee.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

The captain must be vocal and have leadership qualities. Something that we've heard so much about...from the stump mic. So it has to be Mushy
Old April 12, 2007, 10:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

apnera kishob ram-sham, jodu-modu der kotha boltesen captain hishabe???
wat da hell is aftab doin in da list?? how can u suggest for a dumb to replace Bashar?

he shud b dropped 4m da team. at any coast.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:43 AM
ODI Cricketer

anyone who doesnt say 'mite' in every sentance.

Bashar: 'yeah mite we bowling good mite'

@topic, i wud say razzak.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:45 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
The captain must be vocal and have leadership qualities. Something that we've heard so much about...from the stump mic. So it has to be Mushy
'oh rafique bhai, gud bowling...

aahwooh good bowling mite good bowling'

he sounds like a 2 year old and looks like a 5 year old.