facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 17, 2004, 01:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Default 21-man list announced for India Series

Having satisfied skeptics about his bowling action left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak Raj got his place back in the Bangladesh fold but there was a surprise recall for middle-order batsman Sanwar Hossain in the 21-man list of probables announced by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) yesterday for the upcoming home series against India next month. Left-handed batsman Faisal Hossain and right-arm pacer Alamgir Kabir made way for Razzak and Sanwar.

Chief selector Faruque Ahmed said that they wanted to remain true to their policy of not making wholesale changes despite a forgettable home series against New Zealand. He however attributed Sanwar's inclusion to the need for experience in the middle order. "We had discussed names of potential candidates which inclu-ded Al-Shahriar, Naimur Rahman and Tushar Imran and felt Sanwar was the best choice at the moment," said Faruque.

Regarding Razzak, Faruque said the highly rated spinner had received a clean bill. "His action has been monitored and corrected under the guidance of BCB's high performance (HP) unit manager Richard McInnes. The Board has told us that there is nothing illegal in Razzak's bowling anymore."

Faruque hinted that there was hardly any possibility of including more players based on the performances in the forthcoming Premier Division Cricket League but did not rule out changes.

Faruque was particularly delighted that speedsters Mashrafee bin-Mortuza and Talha Jubair, who have not played for Bangladesh in over a year, were eligible for selection. "Both are now fully fit and I am hopeful that they will feature in the series," said Faruque.

THE PROBABLES
Habibul Bashar, Rajin Saleh, Khaled Mashud, Khaled Mahmud, Javed Omar, Mushfiqur Rahman, Hannan sarkar, Sanwar Hossain, Alok Kapali, Mohammad Ashraful, Mohammed Rafique, Manjarul Islam Rana, Tapash Baisya, Abdur Razzak Raj, Mashrafee Bin Mortuza, Enamul Haque Junior, Nazmul Hossain, Tareq Aziz, Nafees Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed and Talha Jubair.

source: http://www.thedailystar.net/2004/11/18/d41118040130.htm

Edited on, November 17, 2004, 6:55 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old November 17, 2004, 02:54 PM
First Class Cricketer

I feel this is not a bad bowling side but this is weak batting team. It's always been the batting that continues to drag Bangladesh down. The guys who can bat are Rajin Saleh, Javed Omar and Bashar. The rest really don't score any runs.

Edited on, November 17, 2004, 7:55 PM GMT, by Ameer.
Old November 17, 2004, 03:03 PM
Club Cricketer

"but performance in one league competition will not be considered a good enough reason to bring in a cricketer"

What is considered in selecting the 21 then, performance in the last four/five leages? Faruk sound so hollow this days. What Sanwar did recently to get a nod over Rokon is beyond me. In 20/20 Rokon's scores say he is in good touch.
Sanwar will give a bowling option but when we are looking for a middle order batsmen, and thats also not based on performance then I would have considered Rokon instead. Atleast there was never any doubt on his potentials.

Relieved to hear about Talha and Mashrafi. Looking at the Indian batting line up and thinking of Taposh and Tareq throwing pies from the other ends almost killed my termianlly ill enthusiasm.

Edited on, November 17, 2004, 11:38 PM GMT, by tnb.
Old November 17, 2004, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

thank god rokon isn’t in the team. That’s all matters to me. Anyway, really glad to see raj back in business.
Old November 17, 2004, 03:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

We have almost all the players back in the fold after a long time. Some are back from injury, some back from rectified actions. In addition to that, we have a few U-19 players who cracked into the side already. Selection of the team for the India tests will be interesting and pretty tough. Its a good problem to have. I thought Tapaosh was getting complacent with his bowling spot in the team and was bowling horrendously. Masri and Talha will change that. Nazmul is also looking over Taposh's shoulder. Golla should be a bit worried as well.
Old November 17, 2004, 04:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Honestly I would have preferred Rokon over Sanwar. Sanwar hasn't done anything spectacular lately to deserve a recall. I know many people here can't stand Rokon, but he is no worse than Sanwar. It is not easy to choose a 21 man squad without having any recent competetion to evaluate form from. But if you want to count 20/20, Rokon deserves the nod any day.
Old November 17, 2004, 04:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
Honestly I would have preferred Rokon over Sanwar. Sanwar hasn't done anything spectacular lately to deserve a recall. I know many people here can't stand Rokon, but he is no worse than Sanwar. It is not easy to choose a 21 man squad without having any recent competetion to evaluate form from. But if you want to count 20/20, Rokon deserves the nod any day.
Only player who will be missed based on CCL 20-20 is Shahriar Hussain, specially knowing our opening problem.
Old November 17, 2004, 06:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephaniah
Quote:
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
Only player who will be missed based on CCL 20-20 is Shahriar Hussain, specially knowing our opening problem.
yea why they didnt call Bidyut. yes he retired but that's a excuse to get more money. Is that the only reason cause I dont see any other reason not to pick him up? He made some good scored in 20/20 tournament.
Old November 17, 2004, 07:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Ok, can anyone explain to me why Hannan and Alok is called?
Old November 17, 2004, 08:30 PM
Test Cricketer

Does anyone know the indian team's line up? Will Tendulkar be coming?
Old November 17, 2004, 08:37 PM
Test Cricketer

i think shariar and rokon should of been called to the squad. i dont know what sanwar can do since he is more of an all arounder and we have players like him. rana, shujon, babu aftab these guys can bowl and bat too. well they can bat compare to bd standards. our batting is a big problem that is why i think rokon and biddut should of been called. i dont think rajin and gulla are any different from the other guys. shumon is our best batsman in test but he is just like everyone else in odi. rajin is ok in test but sux in odi. gollo well his name says it all he is good at getting golla. i think ashraful is a good batsman and for him to score runs we need an experience player who can slap him in the face everytime he gets over agressive. pilot is our best odi batsman and ashraful can score big runs in both test and odi if he can keep his agressiveness down. but he is very immature. great to see masrafi and talha back. hope they our 100% fit to play. i think the bowling action of raj is good now since icc changed the rule. hope he can help rafique with our spin bowling. hannan and kapali should of been dropped. kapali and hannan has potentials but for now i think they need to play domestic cricket and get their confident back. league is starting so i think they should play in the league matches. because i know hannan and kapali will be back in form and they will start getting big runs bc i know they have the ability. rightnow they are in bad form so they shouldnt have gotten called in the squad.
Old November 17, 2004, 08:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Edited on, November 18, 2004, 1:40 AM GMT, by say.
Reason: where is the delete feature
Old November 17, 2004, 08:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Does anyone know the indian team's line up? Will Tendulkar be coming?
no .. I spoke to him the other day and he said he'd love to go to Bangladesh but needs to improve his batting first.
Old November 17, 2004, 08:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by say
no .. I spoke to him the other day and he said he'd love to go to Bangladesh but needs to improve his batting first.
meh.. he's such a diplomat
Old November 17, 2004, 10:04 PM
Cricket Legend

I would have rathered Al sharhiar in the side rather than Sanwar Hossain. Oh well it is a good selection anyway. He will play the tests I would think.
Old November 18, 2004, 12:36 AM
Cricket Legend

amar mone hoi ajke prothom alote dekhlam mashrafee is 95% fit. does that mean that we will miss him again.........or will he finally be able to play.
Old November 18, 2004, 12:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

Full Indian team including Tendulkar will visit BanglaDesh. Why have any doubt in this regard. If we look at the resume of Tendulkar and Dravid- it says that they have scored centuries in all test playing countries except Bangladesh, so they as well as other Indian batsmen will surely like to address that gap in their records.

India is playing South Africa in a two test series. Indian team for BD will be known only after this series finishes.

Edited on, November 18, 2004, 5:42 AM GMT, by cricketfan.
Old November 18, 2004, 01:20 AM
Cricket Legend

humm oshubidha nai.........i dont think their dream will be fulfilled because our team will be bundled out less than 100 so there is no way they will be able to get 100's. actually if its test match then they actually can. but i am sure rafique will do something about that.
Old November 18, 2004, 04:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerFan
Ok, can anyone explain to me why Hannan and Alok is called?
They should not be considered for 14-man squad by any means.
Old November 18, 2004, 06:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

1.Talha Jubair:Coming back nearly 24 months
Played Last Test Against West Indies at Chittagong,In 2002/03
Played Last ODI Against South Africa at Bloemfontein,In 2002/03
2.Sanwar Hossain:Coming back nearly 15 months
Played Last Test Against Pakistan at Karachi,In 2003
Played Last ODI Against Pakistan at Multan,In 2003
3.Mashrafe Bin Mortaza:Coming back nearly 13 months
Played Last Test Against England at Chittagong,In 2003/04
Played Last ODI Against Pakistan at Karachi,In 2003
Old November 18, 2004, 06:37 AM
First Class Cricketer

1.Talha Jubair:
Batting
Played 6 ODI 5 Runs 4* is the highest
Played 6 Test 21 Runs 5* highest
Bowling
Played 6 ODI 06 wickets
Played 6 Test 14 Wickets
2.Mashrafe Mortaza:
Batting:
Played 12 ODI 072 Runs 28 highest
Played 12 Test 161 Runs 29 highest
Bowling:
Played 12 ODI 13 Wickets
Played 12 Test 29 wickets
3.Sanwar Hossain
Batting
Played 27 ODI 290 Runs 52 highest
Played 09 Test 345 Runs 49 highest
Bowling
Played 27 ODI 10 wickets
Played 09 Test 5 Wickets
Old November 18, 2004, 12:52 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

I wanna see Masrafee and Talha in action.
Old November 18, 2004, 12:54 PM
Banned

Rokon has played some good innings in the test matches. He is better than Shahriar Hossain in the test matches. He should have been called again.
Old November 18, 2004, 12:58 PM
Banned

It is better to see Bangladesh is playing against the full power of India. Bangladesh is underdog against India although. But I wanna see Bangladeshi players r playing like tigers against Indian lions.
Old November 21, 2004, 05:35 AM
First Class Cricketer

Sanwar Hossain is not playing in the series against india