facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 3, 2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default The Bigger Picture - Mike Proctor

The man speaks about his days as a player and later as an ICC official and a South African selector. Another cricketer who has no regret losing a career over what needed to be done to save the lives of millions.

Quote:
Once described as man who bowled "at 100mph from mid-off off the wrong foot" Mike Procter's international career was limited to just seven Tests due to South Africa's exclusion from world cricket during the apartheid years. Instead he plied his trade for Gloucestershire and in the Currie Cup, before forging a high-profile career as a match referee, selector and broadcaster. He tells ESPNcricinfo about his career.

More at http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/563437.html

IMO, given his stance against racism even as a cricketer during the apartheid era, the allegations of racism against him over the Harbhajan/Symonds incident are quite stupid. Heck, Symonds isn't even white.

PS: He mentions the BPL briefly and positively in the interview.

Old May 3, 2012, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

One more cricketer who sacrificed a career to the bigger picture is our very own Raqibul Hasan:

Quote:
Raquibul was under no illusions that his Test dream was over before it had begun. "It is the only regret I have with cricket," he admits. "I remember saying to Zaheer [Abbas], `Zaheer, the next time I come to Pakistan, I might have to come with a new passport ...'" But, he adds, it is a very small regret. "I sacrificed my career, but instead I won my freedom and a country to call my own, and there cannot be a sweeter achievement than that. A lot of lives were lost in the struggle for independence. To lose a Test career? That is nothing."
Many of you would already have read this article at http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/137034.html
Old May 3, 2012, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

^^ Thanks for sharing Asif bhai....very nice articles....hmm Raqibul sacrificed his career...because of this....where people are getting kidnapped.....strikes every other day...."Earth HOUR" being celebrated at least 18-20 hours a day!

NOPE! This cannot be our country....this cannot be the dream that not only he but all the freedom fighters had dreamed
Old May 3, 2012, 01:11 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Compared to some of the causes, the lose of a test career is so, so small, that an article to compare them is not even deserved.
Old May 3, 2012, 02:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Mike Procter will be in the UK for this summer, from June to September, and is available for media work, endorsements, after-dinner speaking, motivational speaking and other engagements. Contact Louisa Hayes at Champions (UK) Plc on 08453 313031 for details
That was a good add... ... Purpose of the article/interview....

That symond-Harbhajan incident costed him a lot...losing an IPL contract is huge...for match officials...

That was a great sacrifice for Raibul... But some people might say that, he wasn't picked on merit.
Old May 3, 2012, 03:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

1400+ FC wickets at 19 runs a piece...mind-boggling stuff.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:25 AM
MLC World Series I

Wow, good read!