facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 28, 2010, 02:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default CricInfo's naming conventions...

been meaning to ask this for a few years but been too lazy to post it.

but has anyone other than me noticed cricinfo seems to have seperate naming conventions for 3 countries only...at least the 3 nations with ODI status. players from bangladesh, pakistan, and afghanistan have both in the ball-by-ball commentary and the scorecards their full or 2-name names recorded. i.e tamim is referred to as "tamim iqbal" instead of TI Khan.

however, all the other major countries have the "SR Tendulkar" model of first and middle initial, and then Last name. the Sri Lankan players generally have 47 of their given initials and then a "surname" ie DPDM Jayawardene.

anyone know why this is and who decided on this convention?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 28, 2010, 02:37 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I noticed that too. But couldn't care less

Also Muslim+ Indians are the only nations to not use last name on their Jersey. Even Sri Lankans do it. So obviously it's not a sub con. thing
Old October 28, 2010, 02:57 AM
Administrator

For names of European origin, the convention has been always to use the family name qualified by initials as the disambiguating component. To a certain extent this could carry over to Indian traditional names as there too, in general, an existence of a family name. Such is the case for Sinhalese names (*), except unlike most European names, the given name components contain more than first and middle and this needs ALL n initials for disambiguation. Now things would have been more interesting had we cricketers from Spain and Slavic countries along with patronymic and matronymic components.

However, most names from Bangladesh/Pakistan/Afghanistan are of Arabic or Persian etymology - the disambiguating component itself is the entire name (Saif el Islam - sword of Islam etc). And by convention too, we do not refer to a person via a single family/surname (with exceptions of course). We refer to Miller or Sobers or Bradman but not to Butt or Islam or Anjum. We can't fit Islamic origin names into Western naming conventions and CI like many other publishers have stopped trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.

* On the other hand, Sri Lankans might need all the initials they can for disambiguation since about 1/2 the team is da Silva.
** There is a joke in Korea - if you climb the mountain overlooking Seoul and lob a stone, it is guaranteed to hit a Park, Lee or Kim.
Old October 28, 2010, 04:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
For names of European origin, the convention has been always to use the family name qualified by initials as the disambiguating component. To a certain extent this could carry over to Indian traditional names as there too, in general, an existence of a family name. Such is the case for Sinhalese names (*), except unlike most European names, the given name components contain more than first and middle and this needs ALL n initials for disambiguation. Now things would have been more interesting had we cricketers from Spain and Slavic countries along with patronymic and matronymic components.

However, most names from Bangladesh/Pakistan/Afghanistan are of Arabic or Persian etymology - the disambiguating component itself is the entire name (Saif el Islam - sword of Islam etc). And by convention too, we do not refer to a person via a single family/surname (with exceptions of course). We refer to Miller or Sobers or Bradman but not to Butt or Islam or Anjum. We can't fit Islamic origin names into Western naming conventions and CI like many other publishers have stopped trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.

* On the other hand, Sri Lankans might need all the initials they can for disambiguation since about 1/2 the team is da Silva.
** There is a joke in Korea - if you climb the mountain overlooking Seoul and lob a stone, it is guaranteed to hit a Park, Lee or Kim.
exactly the academic response i was looking for. thanks, Doc!

also explains why everyone is referred to in our cultures by their first name, except when their first name is "Mohammad" (i.e Rafique or Ashraful or Asif/Aamir)...there are too many mohammads.

i have noticed that pakistani and bangladeshi players (except when their first name is "Mohammad") do have their given or first name printed on their jersey. not sure about the Afghan players. and while zaheer khan has his first name on his jersey, i'm sure other jerseys read "sehwag", "dhoni", or "tendulkar"...but peculiarly, there have "rohit" and "ishant" too instead of "R Sharma" or "I Sharma". strange indeed, but at the same time it just *sounds* or *looks* correct the way they have it.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 29, 2010, 03:57 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
A similar joke should exist in Vietnam too.
Old October 29, 2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasi_ahmed
A similar joke should exist in Vietnam too.
Nguyens and Trans in Vietnam. Chowdhurys in Sylhet too
Old October 29, 2010, 05:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Nguyens and Trans in Vietnam. Chowdhurys in Sylhet too
Wasn't our grandfather a Chowdhury from Sylhet???

Btw, i've noticed that Chowdhury is a fairly common surname amognst Pakistani Punjabis also, knowing 2 of them myself (possibly a third).

#OneTeam1Dream