facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 25, 2017, 05:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Nope, in Manhattan. Are there lots of Lankans in SI?
Staten Island has the highest concentration of Sri Lankans outside of SL.

They have little SL. The cuisine is really good.

Old September 25, 2017, 08:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Staten Island has the highest concentration of Sri Lankans outside of SL.

They have little SL. The cuisine is really good.
News to me. Lankans just like living on islands it seems.
Old September 25, 2017, 08:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
News to me. Lankans just like living on islands it seems.
Seems so.

I'm currently sitting next to one on the college shuttle bus heading home lol
Old September 27, 2017, 08:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: BD Players, Starc, Waqar

All of us are educating people about Bangladesh one person at a time. It's a never ending process.
-----------
Nowadays, I usually tell people that I'm from Bangladesh. If they want to know the geographic location, I ask them to google it. In a professional situation though, I tell them that it's in SE Asia.
Old September 28, 2017, 04:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by icricket
All of us are educating people about Bangladesh one person at a time. It's a never ending process.
-----------
Nowadays, I usually tell people that I'm from Bangladesh. If they want to know the geographic location, I ask them to google it. In a professional situation though, I tell them that it's in SE Asia.
Well said and I agree we should tackle one person at a time. Usually people in UK know where Bangladesh is more or less due to the national team playing. But in the rest of Europe I dont think they have much of an idea.

I have to deal with American clients who are quite well educated but have limited knowledge about Bangladesh and I enjoy telling them more about Bangladesh.

I have even managed to convince some Israelis we are a great nation who thought we were a big bunch of terrorists.

But in the past Bangladesh was associated alot with floods, poverty, child labour and garments. It is our responsibility to let people know there is more to our country.
Old September 28, 2017, 09:31 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

From 2000-2010, I had to make extra stride to make people recognize where and what is BD about. Since 2013 it was not alike.

Now-a-days most people when I answer the question "where are you from" people recognize instantly and I can sense the pride in their tone when they acclaim that "I know where Bangladesh is" right after my obvious geographic directive response of "beside India, large coast along Bay of Bengal". If people seem more curious I would mention, "just check 'made in' in around Wal Mart clothing section".

This may be because later part of my stay I am mostly around East Coast and people are more knowledgeable in this area when comes to diversity. I think people in central and south still mostly will continue act dubious and their pride probably lies in not knowing .
Old September 29, 2017, 06:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
When I first came out of bangladesh I really used to feel sorry and low when someone could not understand where bangladesh is. Once I came across with a chinese student in my university who asked me during our introduction about my origin. I told about bangladesh but he could not understand. I then told him about India and then showed him about the position of bangladesh with respect to india and after that I even googled him the map and told him about different features of our country. He was surprised to know this country exists.

Then I met with another chinese guy who also didn`t know about bangladesh but for some reason that day I asked him back that maybe you are weak in your geography.. don`t you know about banglades(with a surprise)? I also didn`t give him much attention. The next day he came to me and showed me the map in his phone and told that he learned about bangladesh and also showed me the flag and told about the longest sea beach.. I also then told him about all the other relevant details of bangladesh. We had a nice talk and he seemed to give interest to visit bangladesh.

I thought the later person is different than the previous ones so he had an interest besides my different approach. But i took the same approach next time I faced the question from another person about where is bangladesh and the result was amazingly similar. I don`t know whether it was a personal ego or what that made them to act differently.
Does Chinese people know Bangladesh by differnt name? Because one of my mates could not recognize BD as I told him I am from there. I told him we are his neighbor and I am surprised he doesn't know about Bangladesh at all. Then on next day he came up to me and showed Bangladesh on map and said oh thats Bangladesh. They call it something different. But, I think he was making this up as he was embarrassed for not knowing at all.
Old September 29, 2017, 06:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by icricket
-----------
Why would you say that? Bangladesh is a South Asian country.
Old September 29, 2017, 11:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rafi_
Does Chinese people know Bangladesh by differnt name? Because one of my mates could not recognize BD as I told him I am from there. I told him we are his neighbor and I am surprised he doesn't know about Bangladesh at all. Then on next day he came up to me and showed Bangladesh on map and said oh thats Bangladesh. They call it something different. But, I think he was making this up as he was embarrassed for not knowing at all.
I don't think China is really a neighbor. In context of neighbouring countries, some Indians think Nepal is another state of their country as do a lot of Americans think Caribbean countries also belong to them
Old September 30, 2017, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
I don't think China is really a neighbor. In context of neighbouring countries, some Indians think Nepal is another state of their country as do a lot of Americans think Caribbean countries also belong to them
No they don't
Old September 30, 2017, 11:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

People here and Europe always think I am Afrikan, I guess due to my very dark skin. Some people even asked if I was Somalian or Senegali...I got tired of this now I just look back at them with a blank stare and pretend I don't understand the fools!

One winter, around 2009 recession (drepression!) when I lost mey job...I stopped cutting my hair, beard, sideburn, Julpi and let a lot of my salt/pepper white hair grow long...I was walking on the Williamsburg bridge wearing an old black coat, pants and hat with a white long sleeve shirt...Some a-hole on the bridge come upto my face and call me a dirty jew and go the F back to Etheopia! That was the first time ever in my life, I almost got arrested and lost 2 of my front teeth...During Hatathati on the bridge I threatened to throw the racist bast'd over the railing in the sewage canal below. I told the Police I will my Rabi and whole Congregation Sabath unless this guy goes to detention.
I once had a tupi over my head while coming out of the Tribeca Dergah al-Farah Sufi mosque, somebody asks where I got my beautiful yamaca from. Schmuck!
Old September 30, 2017, 04:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
No they don't
My Carribean colleagues have complained to me.

Obviously you haven't don't a consensus
Old September 30, 2017, 05:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

If I may make an observation.

It is a strongly held belief that people form the US are woefully uninformed about the rest of the world. I have visited the US numerous times (my wife is from there), and I am consistently amused and aghast at how ignorant Americans are about other countries. It is as though the rest of the world doesn't matter to them, and might explain some of the ill treatment successive US governments have inflicted on other countries in the past.

So I wouldn't worry too much. As they say: "you can't argue with an ignorant man".
Old September 30, 2017, 05:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
My Carribean colleagues have complained to me.

Obviously you haven't don't a consensus
Your Caribbean colleagues speak for +300mm people, do they?
Old September 30, 2017, 05:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Your Caribbean colleagues speak for +300mm people, do they?
They are in much better position than you are.
Old September 30, 2017, 06:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
They are in much better position than you are.
ofcourse they are. whatever you say. But that still doesn't explain how they can speak on behalf of +300mm people.
Old September 30, 2017, 07:07 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar
If I may make an observation.

It is a strongly held belief that people form the US are woefully uninformed about the rest of the world. I have visited the US numerous times (my wife is from there), and I am consistently amused and aghast at how ignorant Americans are about other countries. It is as though the rest of the world doesn't matter to them, and might explain some of the ill treatment successive US governments have inflicted on other countries in the past.

So I wouldn't worry too much. As they say: "you can't argue with an ignorant man".
Once again it depends where in US you are. It’s a vast country with 330m people. And to be quite honest, Americans don’t really care about what happens outside. Coz US is the only thing that matters.

Go Murica!! Greatest land in the world. It is the land of the free and home of the brave!
Old September 30, 2017, 08:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Once again it depends where in US you are. It’s a vast country with 330m people. And to be quite honest, Americans don’t really care about what happens outside. Coz US is the only thing that matters.

Go Murica!! Greatest land in the world. It is the land of the free and home of the brave!
Is it true Americans learn geography by going to war.
Old September 30, 2017, 11:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
Is it true Americans learn geography by going to war.
No by providing and exporting science, technology, entertainment, culture, and everything to the rest of the world.

Speaking of war, Europe would have disintegrated itself with their world wars if America didn’t intervene and bailed them out twice. The two world wars pales in comparison to whatever war US started.

America is not a perfect country. She has her problems. But there’s no denying the fact that no other country (or empire) had a global domination and influence in every facets of social, cultural, technological aspects than America.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rafi_
You could be onto something here. My Chinese course instructor once said they called BD as Munjala guaren. Ugly name I know. They also have this sort of names for some other countries.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
No by providing and exporting science, technology, entertainment, culture, and everything to the rest of the world.

Speaking of war, Europe would have disintegrated itself with their world wars if America didn’t intervene and bailed them out twice. The two world wars pales in comparison to whatever war US started.

America is not a perfect country. She has her problems. But there’s no denying the fact that no other country (or empire) had a global domination and influence in every facets of social, cultural, technological aspects than America.
Yes, but who can forget the countless countries they have invaded for their dire search of black gold(oil). Been a long time since you guys haven't got involved in a full scale war, my money is bet on North Korea. And how many wars have you guys won exactly.

And the British empire, controlled most of the world, and had a far greater influence geographically, socially and culturally.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
ofcourse they are. whatever you say. But that still doesn't explain how they can speak on behalf of +300mm people.
This getting a bit immature. I didn't say all the 300+ Americans. Anyways I am sure you will again come with something baseless. Enjoy
Old October 1, 2017, 02:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

haha I wasn't expecting such patriotism out of you tbh. USA! USA!
Old October 1, 2017, 02:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
This getting a bit immature. I didn't say all the 300+ Americans. Anyways I am sure you will again come with something baseless. Enjoy
Right, you said "alot of Americans." Why? because your supposed carribean colleagues told you. Brilliant logic.

I'm not the one making baseless comments. I'm just calling you out on yours.
Old October 1, 2017, 09:46 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
haha I wasn't expecting such patriotism out of you tbh. USA! USA!
I spent most of my adult conscious life in US. I won’t live anywhere else. This is home to me. It will be ungrateful of me if I didnt love the country that has given me and my family so many opportunities for a honest life.

As I always say, American dream is still very much alive.

But I am attached to BD too as that’s the country of my birth and childhood.