facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 26, 2012, 03:07 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Firstly, thank you for the support to be Head Coach.

Some facts for you before you get carried away though:

.................................................. ...................
My stance is far from passive - you just have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.
Tough luck mate, it seems !

BCB doesn't want you, Tommy Miah went silent, never heard from GP/Beximco, must have left you feeling so unwanted !!

Sometimes things just doesn't work out as desired, who knows, for better or for worse.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Old November 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

I run a highly successful coaching business, which is growing. The only way I could/would completely give this up is if financially it was worthwhile.
Take some of players please, you'd do a much better job with them than our Shane Jurgensun.
Old November 26, 2012, 03:31 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Tough luck mate, it seems !

BCB doesn't want you, Tommy Miah went silent, never heard from GP/Beximco, must have left you feeling so unwanted !!

Sometimes things just doesn't work out as desired, who knows, for better or for worse.
I realised one thing about doing business in Bangladesh LONG ago. If someone wants something from you, they want it yesterday. If YOU want something, they don't even respond.

Most people don't like to be told they are wrong either, so unlikely things will change the way others want.

In life you get what you prepare for - which was the essence of my article originally.
Old November 26, 2012, 03:51 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Firstly, thank you for the support to be Head Coach.

[snipped]

But let me repeat: the BCB has never shown any interest in having me as Head Coach, nor have they responded to my requests to help set up a Pace Academy in Bangladesh, neither have Beximco or Grameenphone shown any interest in my approaches about this and neither has Tommy Miah asked me to be a part of his set up.

My stance is far from passive - you just have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.
I really would like to hear the rationale of BCB for not responding, especially given the condition of our "pace" bowling. I am an engineer and thus, go by results. During your stay, I saw an improvement in our pacers, not seen before or since.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Ranji will not allow us. Indians won't allow us in anything. I have said this from my experience of 34 years.
They did allow us to partake in the Duleep trophy and we got massacred. We never went back probably due to the humiliation. Duleep was a big step for us, especially in 2005...if you divided India into 5 zones, each zone would still be one of the largest countries on earth. We should aim instead to play in the Ranji trophy where we might have a chance at competing. That being said it should contain Academy, U-19, and A team players and those national teamers who clearly aren't up to par (ie everyone not named Shakib, Tamim, and Nasir).

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 26, 2012, 04:24 PM
Club Cricketer

Coach, for what it's worth I think your passion for Bangladeshi cricket alone should have got you the job of HC. I thought your article was spot on.

One small niggle though - I mooted the idea of BD joining a strong domestic first class foreign league 18 months ago. At the time you were not in favour:
http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh....php?p=1337625
What's changed since that time?
Old November 26, 2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
I really would like to hear the rationale of BCB for not responding, especially given the condition of our "pace" bowling. I am an engineer and thus, go by results. During your stay, I saw an improvement in our pacers, not seen before or since.
Thank you.

All coaches claim success and hide from failures. I guess I am no different.

During my time as you know, BD won 71%. Before this in the 29 games before they won 6% and since I left, the team has won 25% of its matches. Whether the spike in wins while I was coaching with the squad is down to anything I did, I really don't know.

I feel we were getting close to have a decent 3 person pace attack during my time and the bowling attack had confidence.

The pace bowling has certainly fallen off the map in recent times.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Its impossible to disagree with both the content and the tone of this article. Unlike the piece by (Scyld Berry was it?) or Kumar Kumar Patel that pop up from time to time that have no intent but to rub C. tetani into our wounds you can tell how this piece is legit. Firstly, no mentions of specifics. Its intent is to inform not deride. Secondly, its written by someone who has actual cricket knowledge and experience at the highest level. Thirdly its written by someone with an intimate knowledge of the team they are discussing beyond statsguru.

At any rate, given what Ian has said, it appears as though there won't be any major fixes anytime soon. We will have to resort to debuting players and hoping they turn out to be the next Shakib, Tamim, or Nasir.

In the meantime we can only hope the new FC franchise league a) actually happens b) starts close to being on time and c) has a slightly better standard than the NCL. A series of small gradual improvements over 10-20 years might mean we can hope to achieve some semblance of parity by 2025.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 26, 2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RParker
Coach, for what it's worth I think your passion for Bangladeshi cricket alone should have got you the job of HC. I thought your article was spot on.

One small niggle though - I mooted the idea of BD joining a strong domestic first class foreign league 18 months ago. At the time you were not in favour:
http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh....php?p=1337625
What's changed since that time?
Yes I recall that.

At THAT time I didn't feel it was necessary because the team was doing well. The atmosphere was positive and we were trying to get the team to be 'grown up' and a top 8 team.

Since then the side hasn't performed at all from what they were building on.

What has clearly changed is that instead of moving forward as they were doing, they have fallen backwards. In addition, the development of the younger players just didn't continue. Ross became very ill and ultimately had to return home to Australia.

I feel things are now far more in tune with Associates cricket than Test cricket, as has been shown recently and by the loss to Zimbabwe in test Cricket. Big backward steps that need addressing.

Had you written what you wrote TODAY, I would be agreeing with you
Old November 26, 2012, 04:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Thank you.

All coaches claim success and hide from failures. I guess I am no different.

During my time as you know, BD won 71%. Before this in the 29 games before they won 6% and since I left, the team has won 25% of its matches. Whether the spike in wins while I was coaching with the squad is down to anything I did, I really don't know.

I feel we were getting close to have a decent 3 person pace attack during my time and the bowling attack had confidence.

The pace bowling has certain fallen off the map in recent times.
To be frank, Coach, during your short tenure we only played at home and we only played 2 series (the NZ one and the WC), right? The BanglaWash would skew the winning percentage. We also didn't play a single Test, so we have no idea how the pacers would have behaved. That being said, I'm sure you are well aware of how inept I think the BCB is for not wanting you as HC.

As a simple question, you did mention that financial aspects affect your decisions. Do you think the BCB has enough financial resources to give you the type of contract you would accept for a long term (2-4 year) Head Coaching stint?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 26, 2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
To be frank, Coach, during your short tenure we only played at home and we only played 2 series (the NZ one and the WC), right? The BanglaWash would skew the winning percentage. We also didn't play a single Test, so we have no idea how the pacers would have behaved. That being said, I'm sure you are well aware of how inept I think the BCB is for not wanting you as HC.

As a simple question, you did mention that financial aspects affect your decisions. Do you think the BCB has enough financial resources to give you the type of contract you would accept for a long term (2-4 year) Head Coaching stint?
Well let me say, you can only beat the teams in front of you. And how many times can you say that Bangladesh wins are skewing results!!!

We played NZ 4 times, Zim 4 times, Ireland, India, England, SA, West Indies and Netherlands. All at home, all ODI's. That was my specific contract, that was my role.

In those 8 matches vs NZ and ZIM, BD won 7 and ended 2010 as the top team in ODI world cricket on form, along with India. Yes the first, amazing clean sweep ever against a Top 8 team did make for positive stats!

Your second point is a moot one, because the BCB do not seek me out as a Head Coach. I am sure they have enough money within the hallowed halls of the SNBS corridors, if they chose to do so. There's always a disconnect between what people are prepared to pay and what they can afford though.

Unlike most coaches, I am not specifically seeking employment as I have a lucrative and successful coaching business. But that doesn't mean the right role and the right price, wouldn't be of further interest.

I am always interested in projects and very keen as I have always said, on setting up a brilliant pace academy in Bangladesh. But it requires funding and commitment.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Ian, as an objective outsider, how would you rate/compare/contrast - based on what you've seen and experienced of course - Bangladesh's cultural work ethic with that of India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka? I'm talking about everyone here from BCB high ups down to the players and ball boys and groundstaff.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 26, 2012, 09:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Ranji will not allow us. Indians won't allow us in anything. I have said this from my experience of 34 years.
No one will hand things over to us. Why should they go out of their way and help us? We have to be the one to make the first move. They don't benefit from letting us playing in their league, their league will be successful either way. But we have a lot to gain from it. I'm sure if BCB approached this in the right manner we would get an invitation. But I bet a lot of us fans will get offended by that, they will be like 'oh is that how low we have to go, to go around begging'. Well the truth is, beggars can't be choosers.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Just finished reading every single post in this thread. And call me foolish, but I think not only should you be made our head coach, but also our prime minister. No disrespect to the Honorable Sheikh Hasina.

Too many cronies, nepotists, and incompetent clueless ex cricketers are ruining BCB. If I were to engineer a coup d'etat, I would appoint you the chief of BCB. Who cares if you aren't Bengali, you are a friend of Bengal, and that's all that counts.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

How about the Pilot's Academy in Rajshahi. We can generate funds here, talk to Khaled Masud Pilot, and start an alliance with Ian's Pace academy in England to groom some pace bowlers.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejkuni
How about the Pilot's Academy in Rajshahi. We can generate funds here, talk to Khaled Masud Pilot, and start an alliance with Ian's Pace academy in England to groom some pace bowlers.
Actually that's a great idea. The best from what I have read so far. If people here are willing I can chip in within my humble means from Australia. From what I know of pilot, he was a great guy filled with ideas and is more than likely to agree with the idea. But the question who is gonna actually step forward and take the initiative?
Old November 27, 2012, 12:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Country full of losers who are running cricket as well as in other influential positions.. What do you expect. These useless players get millions for doing jack.. so why the hell would they have any desire to go the extra mile? Look at Clarke, Kallis, Cook etc... these guys even after achieving so much are not close to being satisfied and still want to improve.. and look at Tamim/ Mushfiqur, haven't achieved anything but so much complacency.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:00 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

JS-IP-JF short "era" is very highly celebrated, but all I know is, it was put together for World Cup camping and end result wasn't very good. We choked in the World Cup. We barely won against Eng and Ire. We got trashed by rest of the teams. 4-0 just created some high hopes but when it mattered the most, everything crushed and burned. As always the team never lived up to the expectations.

So therefore can't give any props to that era.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:33 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
I realised one thing about doing business in Bangladesh LONG ago. If someone wants something from you, they want it yesterday. If YOU want something, they don't even respond.

Most people don't like to be told they are wrong either, so unlikely things will change the way others want.

In life you get what you prepare for - which was the essence of my article originally.
But Coach, isn' it the same everywhere ?? You want them, they dont want you, yet. So you have to sell your product/service to them.

You want to branch out your Coaching Center business in Bangladesh, which remains a very lucrative untapped market for your product. You want to be here first, its very understandable. You have to be passionate to do well what you do. But, just because they dont want it from YOU, doesn't mean they are wrong either.

I dont know Coach. If it was me and I've been trying for a while without being successful, rather than blaming those I've approached and claiming they are wrong, I'd start to look if there is something wrong from my side. If it was me, I'd start to re-evaluate the whole approach and see where it is going wrong.

Infact Bangladesh isn't the only country where it's not going right for you. Your application for the role of Pakistan Bowling Coach was also rejected by PCB.

May be these prospective sponsors, let it be Tommy Miah or GP or Beximco, are not putting enough faith on you to invest their money with ! They might have good enough reasons of their own.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old November 27, 2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
But Coach, isn' it the same everywhere ?? You want them, they dont want you, yet. So you have to sell your product/service to them.

You want to branch out your Coaching Center business in Bangladesh, which remains a very lucrative untapped market for your product. You want to be here first, its very understandable. You have to be passionate to do well what you do. But, just because they dont want it from YOU, doesn't mean they are wrong either.

I dont know Coach. If it was me and I've been trying for a while without being successful, rather than blaming those I've approached and claiming they are wrong, I'd start to look if there is something wrong from my side. If it was me, I'd start to re-evaluate the whole approach and see where it is going wrong.

Infact Bangladesh isn't the only country where it's not going right for you. Your application for the role of Pakistan Bowling Coach was also rejected by PCB.

May be these prospective sponsors, let it be Tommy Miah or GP or Beximco, are not putting enough faith on you to invest their money with ! They might have good enough reasons of their own.
Interesting tone of your post. By implication you suggest I am complaining, criticising others for not selecting me and also having a dig at my approach.

So let me clear bhai:

1. I was responding to questions people asked me about what had happened or why I wasn't pushing myself forward for coaching roles.

2. The PCB appointment of bowling coach was always set out to be a local. I knew this ahead but I was asked to apply for a different reason.

3. It may well be my fault that Bangladesh (in particular) is rejecting me or not responding to me. It might be the fact I spoke out about the BPL money. But I am not about to sit back and say nothing when people do things wrong and totally unprofessionally.

4. I actually care about developing players and it is NOT about branching out on my coaching business. You have no idea about me. My proposal was to help set up a Bangladeshi run and Bangladeshi trained coaching system, that would rival MRF in India

5. JF's coaching role was advertised when he was visiting his dying father in the UK after they had agreed a new contract and the President shook his hand. So no.. it ISN'T the same everywhere. Minimum professional courtesy says you communicate with other professionals and not ignore them totally or don't respond when you say you will. You either don't live in BD or have any dealing with how business works in BD sometimes

6. It might well be that those people do not put faith in me and that's fine. Everyone is allowed an opinion and they need to be certain they are getting the right people for the right roles. I don't see evidence of that previously though

7. I am not claiming they are wrong and blaming others. I am pointing out that my role is in solutions for the very problems that are being suffered. Sadly no amount of navel gazing on the amount of those in authority will ever get this resolved.

8. Just because I am not in the frame doesn't mean others are wrong.

Let me finish by saying that most projects in life don't come to fruition. It is rare that others have the same vision and purpose as you. When you find them it turns out to be a perfect match and success is made. I am not fazed by being 'rejected' as you put it and not about to go off crying in some corner. That's in fact why i am here still.

My point is, and remains, there is enough information about how to start solving the issues in Bangladesh Cricket. I cannot force anyone to call or email. But I was responding to those who asked me why don't I do something.... and I have tried.

I can accept I have failings and, as you rather cruelly try to suggest, it might well be all down to me in some way. But then again that would be typical of those in positions of authority not accepting blame when they are making all the decisions.

Last edited by Ian Pont; November 27, 2012 at 04:15 AM..
Old November 27, 2012, 03:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

cmon guys lets take the initiative. Lets start a BanglaCricket.com Pace Academy. With Ian's help we should uncover some Steyns, a couple of Starcs and some McGraths.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
JS-IP-JF short "era" is very highly celebrated, but all I know is, it was put together for World Cup camping and end result wasn't very good. We choked in the World Cup. We barely won against Eng and Ire. We got trashed by rest of the teams. 4-0 just created some high hopes but when it mattered the most, everything crushed and burned. As always the team never lived up to the expectations.

So therefore can't give any props to that era.
You are very harsh and kinda short minded.

The Banglawash came without either Tamim or Mash being available!

The defending 174 at Mirpur against NZ (when Rubel bowled that reverse swing yorker we had worked on) was the lowest ever score defended by BD. This was a complete turning point in belief for the team. It is belief and confidence that lifts an emotional bunch of players like BD. You saw how the Asia Cup results were uplifted by a wonderful BPL previously.

"Barely" beating England was the biggest thrill for me and JF personally. We worked our **** off to get the guys up for that match.. and it was a 'must win' game. Had BD lost to England the WC would have all been over. But they never gave up. The lads pulled off a hard fought win. Ryad was amazing and Shafiul just extraordinary. Both of those matches showed guts and determination that are currently missing from the team! The Ireland win was also really hard fought. Again brilliant defending of a modest total at Mirpur on a good pitch. Ireland beat England in our group remember so were a fine team.

I didn't see a trashing by India in the opening match with BD scoring almost 300 in reply on a brilliant batting pitch against the number 1 ranked team and eventual winners.

The WI and SA matches were a complete debacle with the bat. But this is BD, what do you expect sometimes?

To read your post, I feel you demean what we were doing with the team at that time. I know virtually every fan would love to have the results now we had then.

People can sit behind a computer and make comments, but the reality is coaches have to actually work with the players and try to get the best from them in very testing circumstances.

Why that era is celebrated is that the results were rare. People had something GENUINE to cheer about. It wasn't all about Shakib or Tamim. It was about Razzak, Ryad, Rubel, Shafiul, Naeem, Shuvo and others. People stepped up and made contributions.

For once, it stopped being about the individual and was all about the TEAM and for me, that made it a time to celebrate, not denegrate. You can choose to be negative about it bhai. That is your choice. But maybe this is all about YOUR expectations that don't match the reality of the team's ability.

I can tell you that I am proud of the time I spent with the team and feel it was an elevated period in the history of the side, albeit short lived
Old November 27, 2012, 04:26 AM
Banned

"Barely" beating England was the biggest thrill for me and JF personally. We worked our **** off to get the guys up for that match.. and it was a 'must win' game. I guess Jamie Siddon did not work his *** off, Thanks coach Ian and JF for work *** off, Poor Siddon.

Why that era is celebrated is that the results were rare. People had something GENUINE to cheer about. It wasn't all about Shakib or Tamim. It was about Razzak, Ryad, Rubel, Shafiul, Naeem, Shuvo and others. People stepped up and made contributions. are you sure about this coach, was Shakib not the captain, was he not the leading wicket taker and run scorer?

Old November 27, 2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar89
"Barely" beating England was the biggest thrill for me and JF personally. We worked our **** off to get the guys up for that match.. and it was a 'must win' game. I guess Jamie Siddon did not work his *** off, Thanks coach Ian and JF for work *** off, Poor Siddon.

Why that era is celebrated is that the results were rare. People had something GENUINE to cheer about. It wasn't all about Shakib or Tamim. It was about Razzak, Ryad, Rubel, Shafiul, Naeem, Shuvo and others. People stepped up and made contributions. are you sure about this coach, was Shakib not the captain, was he not the leading wicket taker and run scorer?

Yes JS did too... as did Nasu, Grant, Michael Henry, catering staff, coach driver, bag man, masseuse etc etc etc we all did, I was referring to JF and me being English and enjoying that special win.

SAH was the leading wkt and runs.. i didn't say he wasn't. He was world number 1 and u expect that. I said it wasn't ALL about him and others made great contributions.

Last edited by Ian Pont; November 27, 2012 at 05:37 AM..
Old November 27, 2012, 04:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar89

LOL dis guy