facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 5, 2006, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default Tour matches against visitors?

While our national team gets to take part in warm-ups on away tours, the same doesn't happen when we invite someone over. Why is this so?

Possible reasons may be: 1. other teams do not have time to make the tour any longer than they are, keeping in mind that it is only bangladesh that they are playing, and/or 2. teams don't need match practice before playing us.

however, it would be an awesome opportunity for our younger players if we could arrange tour matches against visiting teams. players like sakib, farhad, tushar, etc etc should be given more opportunities to play against quality opponents on a regular basis. while we do talk a lot about A team tours, and they do take place from time to time, just think how valuable it would be if we could have board XI's playing the likes of australia, sri lanka and india every time they visit bangladesh.

and it's not like our teams will get crushed either. we do seem to have a decent A team at the moment, and i don't think the losses would be humiliating, if not anything to boast about.

i think this is an option that the bcb has to expose our reserves to the best in the world without actually including them in the national team and destroying their careers.

Old April 5, 2006, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

to add to that, i also think that this would allow us to test out players like tushar and rokon against world class attacks in order to find out whether they are still minnow bullies, or whether their domestic/A team performances actually mean something.

Edited on, April 5, 2006, 7:27 AM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old April 5, 2006, 03:25 AM
BC Editorial Team

Visiting teams, usually don't want to spend the money or time that tour matches entail. Remember, visiting teams are technically, only entitled to a per diem. Boards pay the players off TV money. Home board keeps all gate revenue.

Bangladesh cricket board, on the other hand realizes our players require all the advantage they can get and other countries are happy to give em a FC match or two.
Old April 5, 2006, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

but then some test nations do play FC's on tour...so am i correct if i assume that teams do not feel the need for match practice before playing us, and that they'd rather save the money? out of luck in that case, i guess.

not that we have any quality teams to offer either. amader jatiyo doleri to khobor howe jaay
Old April 5, 2006, 08:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally posted by AsifTheManRahman
but then some test nations do play FC's on tour...so am i correct if i assume that teams do not feel the need for match practice before playing us, and that they'd rather save the money? out of luck in that case, i guess.

not that we have any quality teams to offer either. amader jatiyo doleri to khobor howe jaay
that may be the main reason.
when our first team goes to an innings defeat in 3-4 days... we run the risk of finishing the FC matches in lesser time.. since.. think abt it.. the national players r the best we got.

but this might be changing in the near future... when we start competing better.
Old April 5, 2006, 09:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally posted by nayef
but this might be changing in the near future... when we start competing better.
Exactly, have a little more patience. Soon England, NZ, SA would be crying for practice matches if they tour directly from a home series.
Old April 5, 2006, 09:09 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

England always play tour matches before any tour and they also did the same in BD tour.

For other teams they might not feel the necessity. I agree with cats_eye in coming days all team will want to play tour matches to acclimatize with BD wicket.

On the other hand it is a bit advantage for the national team

if they can utilize it
Old April 5, 2006, 09:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Miraz
England always play tour matches before any tour and they also did the same in BD tour.

For other teams they might not feel the necessity. I agree with cats_eye in coming days all team will want to play tour matches to acclimatize with BD wicket.

On the other hand it is a bit advantage for the national team

if they can utilize it
when other teams will think that not playing practice games will hand BD an advantage.... that is the day i am talking abt
Old April 5, 2006, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

so in the end there's no advantage, because they will be playing practice matches before facing the national team
Old April 5, 2006, 09:18 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
so in the end there's no advantage, because they will be playing practice matches before facing the national team

there is obviously the homeground advantage... but thats a separate thing

the advantage miraz bhai was referring to was the initial advantage of the our players being better suited to conditions than someone playing their first game in a different country.
Old April 5, 2006, 09:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I would rather give them the advantage and let our young players get some exposure against these quality teams when they play for board XI or A team...
Old April 5, 2006, 09:31 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally posted by nayef
Quote:

there is obviously the homeground advantage... but thats a separate thing

the advantage miraz bhai was referring to was the initial advantage of the our players being better suited to conditions than someone playing their first game in a different country.
Exactly

Particularly when teams are coming straightway from SA, England, NZ or Australia
Old April 5, 2006, 09:47 AM
Cricket Legend

They just feel, playing against BD national side is a practise game for the next tour. And It will continue untill we really come up with a good show.
Old April 5, 2006, 10:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I suspect it has something to do with the current tight schedule of the other Test nations before they come to BD. For the last few monthes... teams are coming here immediately after playing another series/tour (eg. SL & AUS) so they hardly get any time to ask for practice matches. And since they are already playing matches contineously... they might also prefer having some useful resting time rather than going for practice matches.

It would be good though if our 2nd string teams could get some matches against them before the real series.
Old April 5, 2006, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Failing to play enough practice matches in unfamiliar conditions is a mistake that gives an advantage to the home team.

In this tour of Bangladesh, Australia have made this mistake.

Ian Whitchurch
Old April 6, 2006, 04:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by IanW
Failing to play enough practice matches in unfamiliar conditions is a mistake that gives an advantage to the home team.

In this tour of Bangladesh, Australia have made this mistake.

Ian Whitchurch
I hope so. But I think they figured it out before and thought it won't be a risk against BD and that's where we will get the advantage.