facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful
Default Lesson for Bangladesh?

IPL destroying India' Afp, New Delhi
Pakistan cricket legend Imran Khan has blamed the lucrative Twenty20 Indian Premier League (IPL) for India's recent dismal Test showing, saying the focus should be on the game's longer format.
India were humiliated 4-0 in the recent series away to Michael Clarke's Australians to record eight successive overseas Test defeats following a similar hammering in England last year.
"I can only use one word to describe India's form... consistent. To lose eight Test matches in a row overseas is an achievement," Imran, the former Pakistan captain, said in the first annual Tiger Pataudi Memorial Lecture in Kolkata on Monday night.
"It's a wake-up call for Indian cricket. A team that won the World Cup and was number one in Tests a few months back is in the doldrums.
"If you want to be the leaders you can't keep losing. If you pay so much emphasis on Twenty20 cricket, you've got to pay hugely."
The annual IPL tournament revolutionised cricket when it burst on to the scene in 2008 with a high-octane blend of international star players, short matches and Bollywood glamour.
Imran, who led Pakistan to their only World Cup triumph in 1992, said Test cricket should always be the top priority, as it is the greatest examination of players' temperament and technique.
"India has to decide soon whether it prefers glamour, Bollywood and money to Test cricket," he said. "In my 20 years of cricket, I never made so much money as a mediocre player in T20 does today.
"The connoisseurs will rate a player by his Test record and not what he's done in T20s. Test cricket is the ultimate test of a player and that's the reason Test records carry value.
"Talent can excel in one-dayers, but in Test cricket, your temperament and technique is tested besides the talent."
Imran also said India needed to overhaul their domestic cricket to make it more competitive.
"In India and Pakistan, there's a huge jump from first-class cricket to international cricket," he said.
Imran -- now an increasingly influential politician in Pakistan -- also paid glowing tribute to former India captain Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi, who died in September of a lung infection aged 70.
Nicknamed "The Tiger" for his brilliant fielding, Pataudi quit Tests in 1975 with 2,793 runs in 46 matches and six centuries despite losing the sight in his right eye in a car accident in England.
"If Tiger hadn't lost an eye, he would have broken all records," said Imran. "His quality of strokes was amazing. Mere mortals couldn't play them."

Old January 31, 2012, 11:36 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

An over jealous pakistani taking a shot at IPL when India is down and weak.

IPL is not the root cause of all evil. If it is anything, I'd say it helped India to become World Champion in the ODI format.

India recent performance has nothing to do with IPL.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 1, 2012, 12:35 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

t20 is entertainment not real cricket the realcricket is test cricket where test of skills and talent are tested his statement is true t20 is fine but all teams even BD should focus on t20 cricket more often..
Old February 1, 2012, 01:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Tomato tomato...the same IPL excuse can be cited to say IPL propelled India to win World Cup 2011(ODI success).

I am not a huge fan of IPL wither..
Old February 1, 2012, 02:15 AM
First Class Cricketer

the fact is we need real confident players. There was so popular word 'mental block' when we played agains pakistan. I think cricket is a matter of mental game. You need to just switch on or off when you play t20 test or odi. Even kohli, warner played ipl. Aren't they performing? I totally disagree that ipl is the main reason for india's bad performance. They failed to play as a team nothing else. Keep in mind they were no.1 in test for a big period of time. They achieved some extra ordinary results while playing ipl. Keep in mind Indian media is one of the stupid and corrupted media in the world. They like to focus more on masala news without judging the truth.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old February 1, 2012, 02:23 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Bore off Imran - India once lost 17 straight away test matches, was the IPL to blame for that too? Nothing has changed, India has simply gone back to being crap against good teams away from home. This really isn't breaking news, it is the norm - they had a spell for 3-4 years, where they were competent, but for the majority of their history, they have been very poor away from the dust bowls of the subcontinent.
Old February 1, 2012, 05:16 AM

Lesson for Bangladesh!? We have almost zero result int test, almost zero players in IPL, BPL not even started. Where the lesson for BD come from?
Old February 1, 2012, 06:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Ind can't perform overseas, that's all! no need to over analyze.
Old February 1, 2012, 07:18 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Ind just lost the T20 by 31 runs,shall we blame IPL too?
Old February 1, 2012, 08:35 AM
Club Cricketer

i agree with imran khan
Old February 1, 2012, 08:37 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
An over jealous pakistani taking a shot at IPL when India is down and weak.

IPL is not the root cause of all evil. If it is anything, I'd say it helped India to become World Champion in the ODI format.

India recent performance has nothing to do with IPL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Bore off Imran - India once lost 17 straight away test matches, was the IPL to blame for that too? Nothing has changed, India has simply gone back to being crap against good teams away from home. This really isn't breaking news, it is the norm - they had a spell for 3-4 years, where they were competent, but for the majority of their history, they have been very poor away from the dust bowls of the subcontinent.
Old February 1, 2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

Yeah 'Bore off Imran' is in the same neighborhood as the other post you quoted. He is simply jumping on a bandwagon everyone jumps on when India lose. Blame the IPL.

Senior players let them down, senior players with thousands of test runs under their belt, not young kids. And other senior players stood up.

Tendulkar - plays plenty of IPL yet he finished with the 2nd most runs for India
Dravid and Laxman - failed.
Kohli - is a product of the IPL era, yet, he finished as the top scorer for India.
Sehwag - was Sehwag, look at his average away from familiar conditions in Test cricket.

Watch this same Indian team beat up on England in 6-7 months time.
Old February 1, 2012, 09:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Guys, no point getting bent out of shape over something Imran mentioned. You all know what he really said? He never made so much money playing cricket all his life where as a player now makes that playing IPL alone.
Believe me, learning lesson is not a cake walk for our boys. If that was the case, we would be in a in this predicament.
Old February 1, 2012, 09:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan28
i agree with imran khan
Complete the sentence by adding, "Right or Wrong ... " that's truly a Pakistani Fan/supporter .. Be it sports or politics or anything ... nothing new my friend...
Old February 1, 2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
Guys, no point getting bent out of shape over something Imran mentioned. You all know what he really said? He never made so much money playing cricket all his life where as a player now makes that playing IPL alone.
Believe me, learning lesson is not a cake walk for our boys. If that was the case, we would be in a in this predicament.
It's not so much that Imran Khan said it...it's everyone. It's as if these people haven't been following cricket for longer than 5 minutes. Look at the record India has in test cricket since it started playing - both home and away.

Difference is day and night - only thing different this time around is, with an aloof captain in Dhoni, they have given up without a fight, whereas a Ganguly would have pushed this same side a lot harder.
Old February 1, 2012, 11:04 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

You could call Imran Khan a lot of things, but bandwagoner is not one of them. I think he is oversimplifying things, but there might be some truth to it. Having said that, T20 and ODI are the future and tests will become less important as time goes by. It will not die completely, however, IMHO.
Old February 1, 2012, 11:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
You could call Imran Khan a lot of things, but bandwagoner is not one of them. I think he is oversimplifying things, but there might be some truth to it. Having said that, T20 and ODI are the future and tests will become less important as time goes by. It will not die completely, however, IMHO.
Why is that so??
He is running his whole election campaign trying to fuel the hatred for the Americans.
And he is one of the biggest Jamaat symphatisers in Pakistan. A guy who was once a well known playboy!!! So yeah he can be called a bandwagon er!!]
I do admire him for his philanthropic work, his cricket and his captaincy... but not soo much his opinions..
Old February 1, 2012, 11:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Lol, so much for the prediction. Look at india in T20 now, if ipl was doing harm to their test cricket then it should have boosted up their T20 cricket but so much for that theory.

Perfect time to invite india to play a series. With them low in confidence we can snatch a victory somewhere LOL
Old February 1, 2012, 12:57 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Why is that so??
He is running his whole election campaign trying to fuel the hatred for the Americans.
And he is one of the biggest Jamaat symphatisers in Pakistan. A guy who was once a well known playboy!!! So yeah he can be called a bandwagon er!!]
I do admire him for his philanthropic work, his cricket and his captaincy... but not soo much his opinions..
what newspaper do u read?? he is against drone attacks in Pakistan
Old February 1, 2012, 01:27 PM
Street Cricketer

Question for Bangladesh fans.
How would BPL benefit the your national team?
Old February 1, 2012, 01:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

no lesson to be learnt
Old February 1, 2012, 01:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Difference is day and night - only thing different this time around is, with an aloof captain in Dhoni, they have given up without a fight, whereas a Ganguly would have pushed this same side a lot harder.
I was trying to avoid commenting but "aloof" captain? Won 26 TEST matches already. That includes Kingston (twice), Johannesburg, Nottingham, Perth, Hamilton, Durban.

Ganguly on the other hand won 21 as a captain. With only Port of Spain, Leeds, and Adelaide to show for.
Old February 1, 2012, 01:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan28
what newspaper do u read?? he is against drone attacks in Pakistan
Definately not the one that u read!!!
Old February 1, 2012, 10:18 PM

For those who thinks BPL (IPL T20) won't harm our cricket...

বিপিএলের দাপটে প্রিমিয়ার লিগ স্থগিত

ক্রীড়া প্রতিবেদক | তারিখ: ০২-০২-২০১২

বিপিএলের কারণে ঘরোয়া ক্রিকেট এখন একেবারে বিপর্যস্ত। বিপিএলের কারণেই জাতীয় লিগ স্থগিত করে ঢাকা প্রিমিয়ার লিগ শুরু করা হয়েছিল। এবার বিপিএলের দাপটে আকস্মিকভাবেই প্রিমিয়ার লিগও বন্ধ করে দেওয়া হলো।
গতকাল বিপিএলের গভর্নিং কমিটি ঢাকা প্রিমিয়ার লিগের আয়োজক ক্রিকেট কমিটি অব ঢাকা মেট্রোপলিশকে (সিসিডিএম) লিগ বন্ধ করতে বলে। পরে বিসিবির ভারপ্রাপ্ত প্রধান নির্বাহী চিঠি দিয়ে এ সিদ্ধান্তের কথা জানান।

সিসিডিএমের সদস্যসচিব ইকবাল ইউসুফ চৌধুরী জানিয়েছেন, সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়ার আগে সিসিডিএমের সঙ্গে কোনো আলোচনা করা হয়নি, ‘বিপিএলের একটি সমন্বয় সভায় লিপু ভাই (বিপিএল গভর্নিং কমিটির চেয়ারম্যান) আমাকে বলেন, লিগ অনির্দিষ্টকালের জন্য স্থগিত থাকবে। পরে ভারপ্রাপ্ত সিইওর একটা চিঠি পাই, যাতে লেখা বোর্ড সভাপতি লিগ স্থগিত করতে বলেছেন।’
আজ প্রিমিয়ার লিগের তিনটি ম্যাচ হওয়ার কথা ছিল। ক্লাব কর্মকর্তারা লিগ স্থগিতের প্রতিবাদে কাল রাতেই ঢাকার একটি হোটেলে সভায় বসেন। সভায় বিসিবিকে ২৪ থেকে ৪৮ ঘণ্টার সময়সীমা বেঁধে দেওয়ার সিদ্ধান্ত হয়েছে। এই সময়ের মধ্যে লিগের খেলা শুরু না হলে পরে ক্লাবগুলো আর কোনো খেলায় অংশ নেবে না। এ ছাড়া লিগ শেষ না হওয়া পর্যন্ত খেলোয়াড়দের যেহেতু ক্লাবের অধীনে থাকার কথা, বিপিএলের জন্য কোনো ক্লাব খেলোয়াড় ছাড়বে না বলেও সিদ্ধান্ত হয়েছে। আজ এসব সিদ্ধান্ত আনুষ্ঠানিকভাবে জানাবে ক্লাবগুলো। কালকের সভায় আবাহনী ও মোহামেডান ছাড়া প্রিমিয়ার লিগের বাকি ১০টি ক্লাবের প্রতিনিধিরা উপস্থিত ছিলেন।
বিপিএলের ছয়টি ফ্র্যাঞ্চাইজি দল একসঙ্গে বেশি দিন প্র্যাকটিস করার সুযোগের দাবিতে প্রিমিয়ার লিগ স্থগিত করার দাবি তুললে সিসিডিএমের সভায় সেই দাবি প্রত্যাখ্যাত হয়েছিল।

ওদিকে সিসিডিএম চেয়ারম্যান জি এস হাসান তামিম গতকাল পদত্যাগ করেছেন। তামিমের সঙ্গে চেষ্টা করেও ফোনে যোগাযোগ করা যায়নি। তবে বিসিবির একটি সূত্র তাঁর পদত্যাগের ব্যাপারটি নিশ্চিত করেছে। ‘ব্যক্তিগত কারণ’ দেখিয়ে পদত্যাগ করলেও গত পরশু সূর্যতরুণকে প্রথম বিভাগে নামিয়ে দেওয়ার সিদ্ধান্তটি মানতে না পেরেই নাকি তামিমের এই সিদ্ধান্ত।

www.prothom-alo.com
Old February 2, 2012, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I was trying to avoid commenting but "aloof" captain? Won 26 TEST matches already. That includes Kingston (twice), Johannesburg, Nottingham, Perth, Hamilton, Durban.

Ganguly on the other hand won 21 as a captain. With only Port of Spain, Leeds, and Adelaide to show for.
I said aloof, not incompetent. He looks disinterested, and his style of captaincy has always been....let it flow. Not once during the tour of England or Australia, did he change things up, not with selections, not with his field placings, not with his on field demeanor.

He shows no passion, which is great...because he is never too high or too low - calm personified...etc etc. But that facade falls apart, when your team is getting smashed, and the young bowler needs a helping hand, or a word of encouragement, Captain Dhoni is almost always MIA in those circumstances.

As for the comparison between their records, put up a poll, here, on an Indian forum or on Pak passion, and see who gets voted the better captain, Dhoni or Ganguly. Neither was/is perfect, and Ganguly had his own problems, but I know who the better captain was, and certainly who the better captain was when things weren't going smoothly.