facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 16, 2006, 02:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Default The Great Steve Tikolo

If there is any player on either side who has truly reached the World Class Level, it is undoubtedly Steven Tikolo. Batting at Number 3, Tikolo has been a legend for Kenyan Cricket, will remain rooted in their cricketing folklore for his dogged efforts for his country.
Tikolo has a solid defence, and batsman who can play all the shots in the book. Add to that his brilliant temperment and determination. He clearly stands out.
I was amazed with his batting in a certain series. He could time the ball to the fence so sweetly, and in the next minute he could blast the ball to the fence. While other batsmen tried to get used to the conditions by defending and watching the ball go through to the keeper, Tikolo was taking singles to get used to the condition. Ravi Shastri once quoted Tikolo was one player with so much class, that he could play for any side.
Indeed this players form and performance has hardly gone down despite his age. He has recently performed brilliantly in the Bangladeshi domestic league. He knows the conditions well, as well as the players. Plus he is in a rich vein of form.
On the eve of the Bangladesh-Kenya series, i believe he is the player to lookout for. If we have to win, our bowlers dominate him. He is the one Kenyan player who can definitely make a difference.

Old March 16, 2006, 02:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

man....all this sucking up to tikolo is making me dizzy. i'm not saying the guy isn't a good batsman. but do we really need about 20 threads to point that out? even sachin and lara didn't generate this kind of buzz when they visited our country.

Edited on, March 16, 2006, 5:52 PM GMT, by shovon13.
Old March 16, 2006, 02:54 AM
Cricket Legend

This tournament really matters to us. We have to win it! And Tikolo is one player who will definitely be in our way. So it doesnt hurt to read 20 threads about him...
Old March 16, 2006, 03:02 AM
Banned

4-0.

Anything less is unacceptable.
Old March 16, 2006, 03:16 AM
Cricket Legend

No single batsman that include great Lara, Sachin ever beaten Bangladesh by his own in one day. It is the bowlers. So stop annoiting Tikolo. If they have Tikolo we have Ash, Aftab who can won match for us. Dont forgot our only win againest them is by Rafiq's heroic but not by his ball but bat

Edited on, March 16, 2006, 8:16 AM GMT, by thebest.
Old March 16, 2006, 04:10 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

You are crazy lover of Steve Tikolo. Get ready for the pain. Your lover Tikolo will suck against Bangladesh this time.
Old March 16, 2006, 05:05 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by shovon13
man....all this sucking up to tikolo is making me dizzy. i'm not saying the guy is a good batsman. but do we really need about 20 threads to point that out? even sachin and lara didn't generate this kind of buzz when they visited our country.
Ditto

Quote:
Originally posted by thebest
No single batsman that include great Lara, Sachin ever beaten Bangladesh by his own in one day.
Lara scored a 45 ball ODI century against us.
Old March 16, 2006, 08:20 PM
First Class Cricketer

JEESH...you are sure that Steve is already a great cricketer?

May be you need a better definition of great cricketer

So, please rephrase your sentence and put it like this way - "Great Kenyan Cricketer"
Old March 16, 2006, 09:22 PM
Cricket Legend

BappyHayat, i think he is. His records will speak for itself. Besides there are these testimonials from guys like Ravi Shastri. Ne way, i would hope Bangladesh bowlers rule over him, and we win 4-0.
Old March 17, 2006, 03:25 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Ohe Tikolo premikra kothai. Steve Tikolo great batsman likhte likhte to Hath b etha korlen. Where is your great Tikolo,

Please eat all your words
Old March 17, 2006, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Miraz
Ohe Tikolo premikra kothai. Steve Tikolo great batsman likhte likhte to Hath b etha korlen. Where is your great Tikolo,

Please eat all your words
Since you have written this twice, I'm going to poste my reply here as well!

This is a terrible attitude!

Just because we support Bangladesh doesn't mean that we cannot appreciate the talents of a batsman from another team. Tikolo is a very good batsman as he proved again in the Dhaka League this year. One poor match doesnt disprove that!

Btw, this is the first time I've written anything about Tikolo so don't come at me and call me a Tikolo premik! But there is no reason to beat up on people who call a good batsman a good batsman!
Old March 17, 2006, 04:02 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

But dear you have to understand the difference between the domestic cricket and international cricket. Tikolo may be a great player in domestic cricket but far from a great batsman in international cricket by any standard.

You cannot call a batsman great depending on his domestic perforfances.

The Graeme Hick is the greatest of all batsman, but I think probabaly you will also agree that he is not that great!!!

Have u got my point?
Old March 17, 2006, 04:03 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

I mean depending on dmoestic cricket Graeme Hick should be considered greatest of all time but he is ordinary in international cricket
Old March 17, 2006, 04:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Michael Jordan

but there is reason when one call a good batsman a great batsman. people shouldn't bother comments of ravi shashtri, because he simply loves the word 'great' and uses whenever he can.
Old March 17, 2006, 04:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
But dear you have to understand the difference between the domestic cricket and international cricket. Tikolo may be a great player in domestic cricket but far from a great batsman in international cricket by any standard.

The Graeme Hick is the greatest of all batsman, but I think probabaly you will also agree that he is not that great!!!

Have u got my point?
But love, wouldnt you rather over-estimate a batsman and be proved wrong than to under-estimate a batsman and be proved wrong?

I dont think people were wrong to suggest that Tikolo is our main threat in this series and he still is. But if we can get him out cheaply, who is going to complain?

Try and rejoice in Bangladesh doing well rather than taking cheap shots at people who think a particular batsman is great.

Its your attitude that bothers me, not the greatness or lack thereof of Steve Tikolo!
Old March 17, 2006, 04:16 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Well friend sorry for any offence but I do say what I beleive. I have seen a lot of cricket in my life and really hardly find that much greatness in Steve Tikolo.

He can be the best performer for Kenya and thats why he is the main threat against us, thats fine, I agree. But I find no reason to put so much respect for Tikolo.
Old March 17, 2006, 04:44 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:

OK... here are some of Tikolo's scores last few against the test teams:

Aus: 51, 35, 4, 6
India: 3, 58, 8, 5, 27, 1, 3, 56, 2
England: 71
SA: 9, 10, 67, 68*, 29, 11, 69, 3
Sri Lanka: 96, 5, 19, 10, 10
BD: 32, 0, 65, 106*, 27
ZIM: 9, 33, 20, 34, 2, 37, 23, 98, 9, 2

Even though there are some pretty mediocre scores... there are some convincing good scores too. Tikolo is not a worship element for sure... but he is surely not someone you can underestimate. Complacency is something that has no place in international cricket. That is lesson-1 for being a professional team!
Old March 17, 2006, 04:48 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed_B
Quote:

OK... here are some of Tikolo's scores last few against the test teams:

Aus: 51, 35, 4, 6
India: 3, 58, 8, 5, 27, 1, 3, 56, 2
England: 71
SA: 9, 10, 67, 68*, 29, 11, 69, 3
Sri Lanka: 96, 5, 19, 10, 10
BD: 32, 0, 65, 106*, 27
ZIM: 9, 33, 20, 34, 2, 37, 23, 98, 9, 2

Even though there are some pretty mediocre scores... there are some convincing good scores too. Tikolo is not a worship element for sure... but he is surely not someone you can underestimate. Complacency is something that has no place in international cricket. That is lesson-1 for being a professional team!
I admit Tikolo is a good player thats for sure and despite some poor scores he has got some good scores against test playing nations. But I differ in saying Tikolo is a great player. The scores given by you also proves that he is not ordinary but not great!!!!!!! as well.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:05 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

if a batsman like tikolo have had chances as much our own Ashraful had at international level, his stats would have bn much much better .

he is not just a really good domestic player but a real good international one as well. it is unfortunate for him and the world cricket that he was born in kenya with real black features. had he been white he could hv done a graeme smith or a neil johnson or kevin peterson. then he would hv played a whole lotta game and shine on his abilities. plus the guy is now a old horse...how much can ya expect outta a old fella anyway.....

guys, im not sayin he is Don Sachin Lara, but for long he was regarded as the best batsmen outside the test arena(but including BD)...

i agree with Sham, stop bashin the guy who came up with the thread. also one bad game doenst show the whole pic. had it shown, im sure we all can show many such of those days for our beloved ash aftab alok hannan rokon n sans....
Old March 17, 2006, 09:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Miraz bhai,
We only argued when you compared Ash, aftab above Tikolo. Call a spade a spade. He had scored 50+ against every test nation with his limited exposure. (check Ahmeb_B bhai's stat please) Let me emphasis on the "limited exposure" again. If Ash, Aftab still not achieving that feet with more games under their belt can be considered great then Tikolo should be considered greater. This is international cricket I am talking about not even getting at the domestic level. Not once I said Kenyan team was better than BD.

I do not want to continue argue with you today, since I tried to put some sense into you yesterday. But I guess I failed. All I want is, to enjoy the BD win and 300+ score. You may have your opinion and we have ours. Don't point fingers.

Thanks.
Cats_eye
Old March 17, 2006, 09:42 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Dear Friends,
lets make the debate an end. I never said Tikolo is a cheap stock. He is definietly a good player but my opinion is he is no way near to be considered as great. Everybody has got their own opinion and I have mine.

Tikolo proved his worth while playing for Kenya and he has got plenty of opportunity before 2003 and thats why he is a racehorse of 72 ODI. What happened after 2003 is unfortunate. he was considered as the best batsman outside test arena when Ashraful, Aftab and others have not really emerged. But technically Aftab and Ashraful is more capable as a Batsman but they lack consistency thats true.

When I am saying better I am considering present time not the past. I may be wrong according to you but I beleive many faces in the cricket world will be in line with me.

When Aftab and Ashraful playes their natural game they can be compared with many great players in world cricket. They really do dominate the ball. lets hope they get matured and put value in their wicket. Bangladesh win against major teams will be quitre regular in that case.

Nice to have some discussions with you. If any of you is hurt i simply apologise.

Enjoy the game of cricket.

Cheers,

Miraz