facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 12, 2008, 09:59 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Post match comments - 2nd ODI : Ashraful and Shakib

Post-match comments: Ashraful & Shakib

DHAKA (TigerCricket.com): Bangladesh skipper Mohammad Ashraful and all-rounder Shakib Al Hassan, who passed 1000 runs in his 39th ODI during the course of his 52 in the Bangladesh innings of 173, spoke after the Tigers lost by seven wickets in the second ODI at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur today (Wednesday) to concede the Warid ODI Series:

Mohammad Ashraful

Whether it was irresponsible on his part to play the pull shot that resulted in a catch and his dismissal for a duck

The plan was to play my natural strokes as I was there at number three. I think I did everything right with that shot except the placement. I wanted to play it more towards square leg.

If he admits that he is unable to lead by example

Ofcourse. A captain should set the example. At the moment I am not performing. It's just not happening for me.

On his lean patch

I think I am batting okay. I am feeling confident and the ball is hitting the right areas of the bat. In the first match I thought I was a touch unlucky and here I got out too early.

Whether the pressure of captaincy is hampering his batting

Not at all. I feel I have batted better after getting the captaincy. Sometimes you just need a start and a bit of luck going your way.

Turning point in the match

We recovered very, very well after slumping to 18 for 4. Shakib and Roqibul got us out of jail with that 119-run partnership but then Roqibul got out playing an uppish shot in the first ball of the 38th over which upset the team plan of playing in the air until the 40th over. I think we lost the plot there. Had he continued we would have managed something like 210-225 which would have been quite handy, maybe even a defendable total on that wicket.

Target in the last ODI

The series is lost but there is still a lot at stake for us. We know that if we had managed 220-230 in the two ODIs then we would have been quite competitive. There is still one match to go and I am hoping the batting would come good in that game because we all know that we have capable batsmen. No one wants to lose and we are not playing badly for lack of trying.

Shakib Al Hasan

On the 119 run partnership with Roqibul, a Bangladesh record for the sixth wicket

We didn't actually plan and didn't talk or anything. I just concentrated on playing as long as possible. I thought if we could take the partnership past the 40th over then the next batsmen coming in would have been able to play more freely.

On crossing the 1000-run mark

It felt good. It took a while but I'm just glad that I got past that mark. Also my last half-century came at this ground about ten months ago so it was nice to make a fifty again.

Courtesy : Rabeed Imam
Old March 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

first match only 1 batsman clicked

second match only 1 partnership clicked

third match ????? anyway ashraful is due for his 1 great innings PER series
Old March 12, 2008, 10:06 AM
Cricket Sage

"We recovered very, very well after slumping to 18 for 4. Shakib and Roqibul got us out of jail with that 119-run partnership but then Roqibul got out playing an uppish shot in the first ball of the 38th over which upset the team plan of playing in the air until the 40th over. I think we lost the plot there. Had he continued we would have managed something like 210-225 which would have been quite handy, maybe even a defendable total on that wicket."

So Rokibul screwed up the plot then. I didn't realized that unless our captain pointed it out so eliquently.

Poor Rokibul. Its his fault now. What is your guess? Will he be dropped now for screwing up our Captain's plot there?

Last edited by Fazal; March 12, 2008 at 10:12 AM..
Old March 12, 2008, 10:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
"We recovered very, very well after slumping to 18 for 4. Shakib and Roqibul got us out of jail with that 119-run partnership but then Roqibul got out playing an uppish shot in the first ball of the 38th over which upset the team plan of playing in the air until the 40th over. I think we lost the plot there. Had he continued we would have managed something like 210-225 which would have been quite handy, maybe even a defendable total on that wicket."

So Rokibul screwed up the plot then. I didn't realized that unless our captain pointed it out so eliquently.

Poor Rokibul. Its his fault now. What is your guess? Will he be dropped now for screwing up our Captain's plot there?
Its a RUBBISH *** like comment!! He should learn from Rokibul a lot!! Ash. should bat
lower . Shakib should be the CAPTAIN against Ireland as a reward for his excellent CAPTAINCY in the warmup matches
Old March 12, 2008, 10:08 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
On his lean patch

I think I am batting okay. I am feeling confident and the ball is hitting the right areas of the bat. In the first match I thought I was a touch unlucky and here I got out too early.
Here comes the third match.. after scoring 0-10

..... I was feeling good, seeing the ball really well, but the ball was culprit as it moved off the pitch and took the edge. I was unlucky as that was the only ball that moved during my stay in the wicket. I am feeling more confident after every match.
Old March 12, 2008, 10:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

sounds just as dumb as a certain hablu...

may Allah knock some sense into his head.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 12, 2008, 10:58 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I would not disagree with him here. It looked like a nice shot, but the placement was very bad. He did not judge the field setting properly and went with the stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz

Mohammad Ashraful

Whether it was irresponsible on his part to play the pull shot that resulted in a catch and his dismissal for a duck

The plan was to play my natural strokes as I was there at number three. I think I did everything right with that shot except the placement. I wanted to play it more towards square leg.
Old March 12, 2008, 11:03 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

But what is the justification of playing THAT kind of lavish stroke at that time (6/1) ? Isnt it moronic to go for a six against Nel even before opening the account ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
I would not disagree with him here. It looked like a nice shot, but the placement was very bad. He did not judge the field setting properly and went with the stroke.
Old March 12, 2008, 11:11 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper
But what is the justification of playing THAT kind of lavish stroke at that time (6/1) ? Isnt it moronic to go for a six against Nel even before opening the account ?
No, its not moronic. It was during powerplay when you expect to hit out some balls. The shot was perfectly fine and was played with control. If he would have played it anywhere else he would have been safe. Afterall, there aren't too many players guarding the boundary during powerplay.

On another note, you are right, the key was before opening his account, I would agree there. He should have taken a bit more time and should have seen how the ball was behaving. But I guess he thought in that ball he had opportunity to score and went for it.

About hitting Nel, why not? The ugly faces he makes do more talking than his bowling. And if you hit him, then you are certainly demoralizing him (as he feels nobody can hit him), and if he is low in confidence then you would get more bad balls from him.
Old March 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, its not moronic. It was during powerplay when you expect to hit out some balls. The shot was perfectly fine and was played with control. If he would have played it anywhere else he would have been safe. Afterall, there aren't too many players guarding the boundary during powerplay.

On another note, you are right, the key was before opening his account, I would agree there. He should have taken a bit more time and should have seen how the ball was behaving. But I guess he thought in that ball he had opportunity to score and went for it.

About hitting Nel, why not? The ugly faces he makes do more talking than his bowling. And if you hit him, then you are certainly demoralizing him (as he feels nobody can hit him), and if he is low in confidence then you would get more bad balls from him.
The bottom line is that he was out! And that's it!

100% effort and 0% output is not desirable in any form of endevour.

And Nel makes ugly faces - and we fall for it! He surely knows that now. Unfortunately, we still don't.

And you say he was in full control - how did it then land in the hands of a fielder.

You say that is what powerplay was meant for - that is a cricket game law, merely. If you have more serious problems, you respond differently.
Old March 12, 2008, 03:09 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundit
The bottom line is that he was out! And that's it!

100% effort and 0% output is not desirable in any form of endevour.

And Nel makes ugly faces - and we fall for it! He surely knows that now. Unfortunately, we still don't.

And you say he was in full control - how did it then land in the hands of a fielder.

You say that is what powerplay was meant for - that is a cricket game law, merely. If you have more serious problems, you respond differently.
Spot on.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 12, 2008, 11:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper
This is one of the very few occasions when Ash gets out by not being idiotic. The shot was a nice one. If it was a six we would have said it was an wonderful shot.

My complain is not about his out. It's about his comment on the young boy Nirala's out. He has done more than what we would have expected from him only in his second match. And he had to accelerate as the innings was coming to end. A good captain needs to stand beside his young guns even if they are guilty. Instead our captain blames the boy for doing what was a right thing to do at that moment.
Old March 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir/Taskin/Anamul/Sohag

Quote:
whose responsibility is this to place the ball in the gap? ash? siddons? or me?
getting out that way for a struggling batting side as early as in the 3rd over is STUPID
to defend that in that manner is STUPIDITY AT ITS BEST if not arrogance!
Old March 12, 2008, 11:01 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

He accuses Roqibul for playing shot on the air in the 38th over, but he plays the shot as early as 3rd over.

And team planning was not playing shots on the air until the 40th over. Is he above the team planning?
Old March 12, 2008, 11:03 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Is he above the team planning?
Do you still have any doubt about that?
Old March 12, 2008, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
He accuses Roqibul for playing shot on the air in the 38th over, but he plays the shot as early as 3rd over.

And team planning was not playing shots on the air until the 40th over. Is he above the team planning?
With a wicket down in the third ball, taking the aerial route was utter foolishness, no matter how good the shot looked.

This reliance on luck is getting pretty tiring. If you can't score, just admit it. It doesn't matter if the ball hits the right places of the bat if you're not going to stick to the team plans and do as you please.
Old March 13, 2008, 09:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

Quote:

exactly my thought

Miraz bhai hoilo amader cricket guru...

Miraz bhai should be the coach of bangladesh, he will be do fine, where siddons is failing to get batsmans in form
Old March 12, 2008, 11:16 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Ehsan, he is taking too much risks and failing consistently. He is the captain of the team, he should have a plan B.

How many times we will defend him? playing positive shots.... unlucky... tried to take the challenge to the opposition...... Enough is enough.

You are the best batsman and also the captain, you need to score runs. Only intention will not do here.

I would take a Rokibul 50 (the way he played today) any day over Ash's breathtaking 20-30.
Old March 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

Quote:
Ehsan, he is taking too much risks and failing consistently. He is the captain of the team, he should have a plan B.

How many times we will defend him? playing positive shots.... unlucky... tried to take the challenge to the opposition...... Enough is enough.

You are the best batsman and also the captain, you need to score runs. Only intention will not do here.

I would take a Rokibul 50 (the way he played today) any day over Ash's breathtaking 20-30.
I agree with you 100%
Old March 12, 2008, 11:54 AM
Cricket Sage

There always have to be a scape goat for him. Either its Junaid, SN or Mashrafee or Rokibul or one of these new players....out of options? Don't worry .....he even managed to find a scape goat beyond the team. Remember our curator Belal bhai?

Even the Pora Kopal Luck doesn't follow him....No?
Old March 12, 2008, 11:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Ash never disappoints me in the post match comments.... always 100 percent entertainment....
Old March 12, 2008, 11:21 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

We would have put our hands together if it had went for 6. I am not defending him, but somebody has to be there to attack. If all the batsmen go defensive than the opposition will gain psychological advantage over you. Rakib's innings in the 1st ODI was an example of it. He was just too bogged down with pressure of not getting runs, he was not even rotating strike very well. Not to take away anything from 2nd ODI where he played exceedingly positive and sensible cricket.

All I would say, Ash needs to realize his game better, and plan accordingly. I bet he had no plan when he came out to bat. That ball was probably there to be hit, but I would not defend him where he hit the ball and also hitting the first ball of his innings.
Old March 12, 2008, 11:26 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
but somebody has to be there to attack. If all the batsmen go defensive than the opposition will gain psychological advantage over you.
He should understand his role. He is the captain and the best batsman, not a pinch hitter. He should take the responsibility as a batsman.

If we need a pinch hitter at the top, why not bring Razzak up, he can certainly whack couple of deliveries before doing an Ashraful.
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Not necessarily. I would still be kinda ticked off if the ball he had hit went for six. Actually, when he first hit that ball, the first reaction I had was he did he have to do this now without knowing whether it was a six or out. You can be positive and play your shots but you gotta have some sense. You have to see few balls first, take singles and double to get it going and then do your thing.

First hour in an underprepared pitch is always going to be tricky. Keeping wickets is a must in this condition since wickets dry up later on and become a little easier to bat on. If you think you are not the one who can control your aggression, why go now?
Cricket Sage

ekhon sob dosh roquibeler bechara tar 2nd Game e eto tai korchee..or ki na congratulation janaiobo..or upore dosh theltase.