facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 15, 2011, 07:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier
Default The Meaning of “My Team”

Bangladesh cricket has come a long way since the first international match was played against Pakistan in 1986. Over the years, our cricketers have dreamt and realised bigger and better things. The scope of the dreams has evolved from qualifying from the World Cup to being one of the best five nations in the cricketing world. The players have shared their wonderful visions with us fans, and encouraged us, from this tiny nation of Bangladesh, to fantasise our world domination. Many wonderful moments of our lives involves victories by the Tigers. The players have always celebrated with us, and have always been one of our own. Well, at least until recently.
Today, for the first time in my life, I am looking at a Bangladesh team that is said to be full of egocentric and non-passionate cricketers. The players have often been rumoured to be content with just making the national team. Once a position is secured, a player does not bother to put in the hard yards at practice or take some time out to plan his season. Players are happy to point out lack of practice facilities provided by the board, yet hardly any would be found organising net practice out of their own accord during the off season. They are often more concerned about sponsorship deals, overseas contracts and enjoying their leisure times.
A morally corrupt BCB has failed to guide and discipline these players time and again. The players, often the most successful in the team, have also enjoyed blind support of its fans. Due to the worshipping culture of our cricketers, they have been used to having free reins to do whatever they like. Whereas other cricket teams would have banned their players for months for slapping teammates, ours hardly even get reprimanded. Where other players get heavily criticised for leaving the team to mend broken relationships, ours just skip practice to do minor ads. Now we hear that the team has strong divisions within its ranks.
fficeffice" />
One might say, “Hey the same thing happened to team X, yet they are doing fine”. If they do, I am glad they are nowhere near the team. I remember three seasons ago we were coming last in our cricket competition. We then had one new guy who practically blew away the opposition. Asked by the captain later if we wanted him back, we all said no; because the guy was the biggest prick we had met. He did not care listen to any team plans or the captain, and he could not be bothered to even pretend to respect any of us wannabe cricketers. We decided it was better not to have such poisonous environment in the team. Elite sports are all about winning. Yet, every team management knows that if I player causes constant rifts within the team, he is not worth having, no matter who he is. This is why every team emphasises on discipline. After all, if Andrew Symonds is allowed to drink till 3 o’clock on the morning of his game, why should Mitchell Johnson have to go to bed at 10? Why do you think players of a certain team got in trouble when it was found out they went to the pub while a test match was still going on. Even when players in any team get out, it is expected that they will hang around till the end.
Harmony in a team is very important. It is especially important for all the rough times a team goes through. This is when players would say “we lost to Bangladesh because Symonds was out drinking” or “we lost because our captain didn’t allow me to contribute because he can’t stand me”. To prevent this sort of murmurings to happen, it is important players know that there are always consequences to their actions. I notice Bangladeshi players nowadays complain to the media if something is not right within the team. This is not right. It is dirty politicking. The team’s dark secrets should stay within the team. The team’s weaknesses should only be kept within the team. If Ashraful does not contribute, sack him through proper reasoning presented to the selectors and the Board. Do not try to sack him through swaying of the public opinion. Similarly, if Shakib or Tamim are trying to dominate the team excessively, talk to them or to the coach and manager. Under no circumstances should this come out to the general public. Today, the politics being played by our players has reached new heights. It is filthy. It makes me hesitate to support this team. I do not support wholesale changes, but am happy to get rid of all senior members if that is what is needed to bring back team harmony.
The team I have supported since 1997 was humble, was respectful of its opponents, weak or strong. It was aware of its own abilities. It was never afraid to fight, its members always strived to bring glory to the country. It is sad that most of the team today is none of that. After a few promising performances, it is sad to hear our own players dismissing his opponent nonchalantly, blinded to the fact that six years ago we were just as weak. Their pride and ego have proved their downfalls in this tour already. It remains to be seen whether they are willing to change. The road to the top is littered with many obstacles; we do not need our own producing some more.