facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 12, 2005, 07:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Default A stark article on Iraq

Sorry George, but Iraq has given you the purple finger

Guardian

ouch, writes with a biting sting, this Naomi!

Quote:
So it is with Betsy Hart and the other near-sighted election observers. They think the Iraqi people have finally sent America those long-awaited flowers and sweets, when Iraq's voters just gave them the (purple) finger
Quote:
It turns out that on American television, the entire occupation has been one long episode of the reality TV show Fear Factor, in which Iraqis overcome ever more challenging obstacles to demonstrate the depths of their desire to win their country back.

Quote:
Iraq's elections were delayed time and time again while the occupation and resistance grew ever more deadly. Now it seems that two years of bloodshed, bribery and backroom arm-twisting were leading up to this: a deal in which the ayatollahs get control over the family, Texaco gets the oil, and Washington gets its enduring military bases (call it the "oil-for-women programme"). Everyone wins except the voters, who risked their lives to cast their ballots for very different policies.
Edited on, February 12, 2005, 12:05 PM GMT, by oracle.
Old February 13, 2005, 10:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Excellent piece! Thanks for the link.

This was the breakdown:

Shia list: 48% (UIA)
Kurdish parties: 26%
Iyad Allawi list: 14%
Others: 12%
Turnout: 58%

bbc

Pretty good overall turnout
Old February 13, 2005, 10:28 PM
Cricket Legend

This particular turnout doesn't really mean anything. Most voters didn't know who or what they were voting for. Most sunnis didn't vote.

You should have witnessed the cacophony of the American media on election day.

Edited on, February 14, 2005, 3:29 AM GMT, by Arnab.
Old February 14, 2005, 02:51 AM
Test Cricketer

its really stupid putting a shia party to run in the election

ofcourse majority will vote for them because shias are majority in iraq and they were oppressed during saddams regime...now they want their power back...

they shud have only allowed parties with clear balance of shia and sunnis as members or allow a 10 member of cabinet or sth like that to rule indefinitely till they get rid of those fanatics in falluja and najaf....

one thing US never learns and never will ever again is that their type of american democracy doesnt work everywhere...democracy not only means rule of people but also refers to rule of majority....

put democracy but LATER....why put election now when half the country's people wont stop bragging about power??? what US is doing is merely letting a bunch of hungry tigers set on one another....

tell you what...it will all end up, and probably already has, in a big civil war, and US wont know who to fight for coz there are too many of them power hungry....
Old February 14, 2005, 03:03 AM
Cricket Legend

There is nothing inherently wrong about American style democracy.

You cannot just install representative democracy in a country. Democracy needs to grow from a base of broad layers of population agreeing to do it.
Old February 14, 2005, 04:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Edited on, February 14, 2005, 9:02 AM GMT, by tiger_man.
Old February 14, 2005, 04:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Edited on, February 14, 2005, 9:04 AM GMT, by tiger_man.
Old February 14, 2005, 04:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab
There is nothing inherently wrong about American style democracy.

You cannot just install representative democracy in a country. Democracy needs to grow from a base of broad layers of population agreeing to do it.
there is nothing wrong with it......i agree with you.....but what I am saying is that it does not work for ever type of society...

society like iraq where there is a big minority of sunnis opposed to the majority shia...

both sides dont like each other, and dont trust each other, and therefore would rather kill each other...

partitioning the whole country is probably the best solution but then again, who will have a greater share of the oil???

the situation in Iraq is in fact a big, big mess, and removing saddam hussein created an equally big anarchic society...

btw, im not saying that removing saddam hussein was bad....an iraq without saddam hussein is better anyday
Old February 14, 2005, 04:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Actually, democracy should work very well in this situation. Not a carving up of the country like Yougoslavia.

Democratic ideals are secular, non-religious. If democracy could have been really implemented, it would be great.

What has happened in Iraq recently is not democracy.

Kaijjakati between religions and sects within the same religion always amount to Ghorar Dim.

Of course, personally, I think the whole religion thing is a big osshodimbo. But that's a different topic.
Old February 14, 2005, 06:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by tiger_man

ofcourse majority will vote for them because shias are majority in iraq and they were oppressed during saddams regime...now they want their power back...
HAHAHA Are you joking or is that really your 'opinion'? I suggest you get out and read more before making such stupid comments.
Old February 14, 2005, 11:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Quote:
Originally posted by tiger_man

HAHAHA Are you joking or is that really your 'opinion'? I suggest you get out and read more before making such stupid comments.
and may i ask whats in my comments that made it sound stupid in your already screwed up head???

but anyway fab, when i read your posts i remembers sham's signature "Never argue with an Idiot, he (in your case its a she) will lower you downt to his level and beat you with experience....

so dont bother writing back to my post with you evil sarcasm because i wouldnt waste my time to read the crap you put in.....