facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 8, 2007, 03:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Thumbs up Junayed Siddique: The Next Superstar of BD Cricket

The extremely reliable BCB grapevine has it that he's ready to make his debut in the T20 World Championship. He is THE next big thing to hit BD cricket, NO wishful thinking here. He is the new Mehrab Hossain Opi before the tragedy. He is bound to out-Opi the stylist former opener in terms of talent, technique and possibly temperament.

Strengths: Swashbuckling, supremely talented natural opener who sees the quicker deliveries early and plays the shorter ones without panicking. He generally does not like to go fishing outside the off stump like most of our batsmen. Technically he's superior to Tamim Iqbal and looks good and safe when spanking the spankable beyond the rope. He adjusts his backlift according to the delivery and plays the cut shot as late as he needs to. His formidable hook shot and lofted drives over mid wicket are juicy and delicious to watch. He also rotates the strike well. He has a bit of an issue with shuffling around when playing defensive shots, but everything tends to fall in place when the delivery gets to his bat, Alok Kapali-style. Like Kapali, he's an excellent fielder.

Mitigating factors: Like most of his compatriots, Junayed has sudden, unpredictable issues with shot selection, and strike as opposed to containment-oriented genuine spin bowling where he has to focus and depend on acute judgment of flight and torsion variations. He's also very young with limited experience dealing with a cricket culture short on patience. That said, I'd still bank on his talent and love of the game to rectify his issues faster than most.

Stats and List A performances from the NCL: He plays First Class (4 day) and List A (limited over) cricket for Rajshahi and club cricket for Mohamedan. I won't go into his club stats and legitimize the DPCL, although he has done extremely well in both 50 and 20 over formats.

In 16 innings of FC cricket, he has averaged 34.36 with two 50s and one 100 with a highest score of 114* with an average strike rate of 55.23. He has a bright future as a useful test opener, if groomed correctly over the next 3 to 5 years.

His List A average strike rate is 76.80. He has averaged 22.73 from 15 matches with two 50s and one 100 with a highest score of 104.

1. Rajshahi V. Khulna: 50 from 63 balls, SR 79.36, 5-4s and 0-6.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267247.html

2. Rajshahi V. Barisal: 70 from 79 balls, SR 88.60, 7-4s and 1-6.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267250.html

3. Rajshahi V. Sylhet: 8 from 12 balls, SR 66.66, 2-4s and 0-6.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267253.html

4. Rajshahi V. Chittagong: 104 from 97 balls, SR 107.21, 10-4s and 3-6s.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267256.html

5. Rajshahi V. Dhaka: 5 from 10 balls, SR 50.00, 0-4 and 0-6.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267259.html
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; February 2, 2008 at 09:20 AM..

Old August 8, 2007, 03:38 AM
Cricket Legend

I think it is a bit too early to say that he is the next superstar,but yes he is a good player he is talented but the question is that will he use his talent or will he just be another ashraful.
Old August 8, 2007, 03:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Strengths: Swashbuckling, supremely talented natural opener who sees the quicker deliveries early and plays the shorter ones without panicking. He generally does not like to go fishing outside the off stump like most of our batsmen. Technically he's superior to Tamim Iqbal and looks good and safe when spanking the spankable beyond the rope. He adjusts his backlift according to the delivery and plays the cut shot as late as he needs to. His formidable hook shot and lofted drives over mid wicket are juicy and delicious to watch. He also rotates the strike well. He has a bit of an issue with shuffling around when playing defensive shots, but everything tends to fall in place when the delivery gets to his bat, Alok Kapali-style. Like Kapali, he's an excellent fielder.
You dissing Tamim here buddy?
Old August 8, 2007, 03:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Are you tamim ?
Old August 8, 2007, 03:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Take that chill pill bro ... I have been one of the biggest backers of Tamim since before most of yawl had the chance to see him in the WC.

Dissing Tamim? Not at all, just staing the facts. Tamim's hand-eye coordination is better than any other opener who has played for the Tigers. But his shot selection and technique need to and will improve over time ...

By the way, fostering a cult of personality ain't healthy.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; August 8, 2007 at 04:31 AM..
Old August 8, 2007, 03:54 AM
Test Cricketer

i hope junayed can become a superstar. but he has a long way to go. lets see how he do in the twenty20.
Old August 8, 2007, 03:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Take that chill pill bro ... I have been one of the biggest backers of Tamim since before most of yawl had the chance to see him in the WC.

Not at all bro, just staing the facts. Tamim's hand-eye coordination is better than any other opener who has played for the Tigers. But his shot selection and technique needs to and will improve over time ...
you are sooo right!!! Tamim is a boomshakalaka batsmen!!! and its a boomshakala news to know there will be another superstar!!!!
Old August 8, 2007, 04:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
I think it is a bit too early to say that he is the next superstar,but yes he is a good player he is talented but the question is that will he use his talent or will he just be another ashraful.
IMHO, "just being another Ashraful" is not at all a bad thing given the realities of BD cricket at this level, especially without the type of domestic set up that can prepare our players for the international arena better than the current infrastructure, which contrary to some of the pre-Lanka, status-quo apologists in this forum, obviously does not.

Who has done better or been more effective than Ash in significant BD innings, partnerships and individual scores and accomplishments? As hard as it may be, and as emotionally driven as our expectations are, we need to be more patient as our genuinely talented players - we don't have too many of those yet - as they continue to learn on the job. Remember that the "peak range" for most batsmen is between the age of 27 and 32. Cut these young men some slack dude, they still have 5 to 9 years before hitting that range.

Last edited by Sohel; August 8, 2007 at 04:10 AM..
Old August 8, 2007, 04:07 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

The problem is, we brand our potential players as "Super Stars" way too early, and they also leave the international arena quickly with one or two notable performances.

I hope Junayed will be an exception and will become a reliable player who can serve Bangladesh for a long time.

We have had seen enough superstars, I personally get afraid when someone is termed as superstar. I hope the "Superstar" curse will not destroy yet another potential career.

Last edited by Miraz; August 8, 2007 at 04:17 AM..
Old August 8, 2007, 04:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
IMHO, "just being another Ashraful" is not at all a bad thing given the realities of BD cricket at this level, especially without the type of domestic set up that can prepare our players for the international arena better than the current infrastructure, which contrary to some of the pre-Lanka, status-quo apologists in this forum, obviously does not.

Who has done better or been more effective than Ash in significant BD innings, partnerships and individual scores and accomplishments? As hard as it may be, and as emotionally driven as our expectations are, we need to be more patient as our genuinely talented players - we don't have too many of those yet - as they continue to learn on the job. Remember that the "peak range" for most batsmen is between the age of 27 and 32. Cut these young men some slack dude, they still have 5 to 9 years before hitting that range.
I am not meaning to say that ash is bad or something i mean to say that i hope he uses his talent properly.
Old August 8, 2007, 04:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Clarification on the Term "Superstar"

Different grades: -

Top shelf, IMHO, the current genuine superstars, meaning the ones people the world over will pay to watch: Mohammad Ashraful and Mashrafe Bin Murtaza.

Grade 1, if they deliver on the promise: Alok Kapali , Aftab Ahmed, Tamim Iqbal, Nafees Iqbal, Shahadat Hossain, Enamul Haque and Talha Jubair.

Grade 2, will get there sooner than we think: Mushfiqur Rahim, Shakib Al Hasan, Syed Rasel and Mehrab Hossain Orion.

Grade 3, the next superstars: Junayed Siddique, Nazmus Sadat, Raquibul Hasan Nirala, Nadif Chaudhury, Dollar Mahmud and Rubel Hossain.

Useful but lacking something: Shahriar Nafees.

Last edited by Sohel; August 8, 2007 at 04:42 AM..
Old August 8, 2007, 04:27 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Now it's clear why Bangladesh is dubbed as the possible champion of World Cup 2011.

We don't have any normal player or even star. All we have are "Super Stars". Bangladesh team for world cup 2011 will be the blend of different super stars.

Normally one team has one or two super stars like Australia had Warne, McGrath and Ponting. No one will even dare to stop our path to world cup crown with so many superstars.

Go Bangladesh Go.
Old August 8, 2007, 04:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Superstars for and of BD cricket.

Please don't flaunt that bad faith with poor semantic manipulation, quite unbecoming outside typically nasty, traditional BD politics.
Old August 8, 2007, 05:12 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Hahahaha!!

Now that's following the trend. Is "attack the poster, not the post" becoming a new rule here?

Last edited by Miraz; August 8, 2007 at 05:17 AM..
Old August 8, 2007, 05:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
OI WHOOS DISSIN TAMIM
Old August 8, 2007, 06:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:

Please don't flaunt that bad faith with poor semantic manipulation, quite unbecoming outside typically nasty, traditional BD politics.

but you did say 'Top shelf, IMHO, the current genuine superstars, meaning the ones people the world over will pay to watch: Mohammad Ashraful and Mashrafe Bin Murtaza'.

these cricketers might well be superstars within bangladesh but i dare say total nonentities outside of the bangladeshi borders. the test match special commentators always mention marshrafe as having some talent when mentioning bangladesh. increasingly, and since the world cup, the veteran raffique gets a mention too. however, i can't see any non bangladeshi's paying to see just these two.

when bangladesh played against england at lords in 2005 i went along. a friend is a member of mcc so i was lucky enough to even sit in the members enclosure for a while before the hordes came in. it was a very poor show that day as far as bangladesh were concerned. ian bell scored an effortless century. graham thorpe was contend to nudge around at the other side of the crease.

a fine day for cricket though.
Old August 8, 2007, 06:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Superstar title is still far away for Junaid

By the way who is that Naeem Islam...he is very consistent..while checking the stats for Junaid..i found that Boy..he also played for under 19..but didn't notice him at all..his stats is damn good..Avg 40 in both form of cricket

But his stats for under 19 cricket is not that much good avg only 26..played 11 matches only 1 fifty..
Old August 8, 2007, 06:12 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikss
Superstar title is still far away for Junaid

By the way who is that Naeem Islam...he is very consistent..while checking the stats for Junaid..i found that Boy..he also played for under 19..but didn't notice him at all..his stats is damn good..Avg 40 in both form of cricket

But his stats for under 19 cricket is not that much good avg only 26..played 11 matches only 1 fifty..
Naeem is a good prospect for Bangladesh. He plays for Rajshahi and is performing consitently over the last couple of years. Now he is with the Academy team and will be touring Australia.

Hopefully we will see some good performances from him.
Old August 8, 2007, 06:25 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Quote:

noton noton polapain, bujhen na,
Old August 8, 2007, 06:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Dissing Tamim? Not at all, just staing the facts. Tamim's hand-eye coordination is better than any other opener who has played for the Tigers. But his shot selection and technique need to and will improve over time ...

Haha sorry mate. Meant it as a joke. We all know tamim's awesome
And so is Junaed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
Are you tamim ?
Yeah I wish
Old August 8, 2007, 06:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Strengths: Swashbuckling, supremely talented natural opener who sees the quicker deliveries early and plays the shorter ones without panicking. He generally does not like to go fishing outside the off stump like most of our batsmen. Technically he's superior to Tamim Iqbal and looks good and safe when spanking the spankable beyond the rope. He adjusts his backlift according to the delivery and plays the cut shot as late as he needs to. His formidable hook shot and lofted dreives over mid wicket are juicy and delicious to watch. He also rotates the strike well. He has a bit of an issue with shuffling around when playing defensive shots, but everything tends to fall in place when the delivery gets to his bat, Alok Kapali-style. Like Kapali, he's an excellent
fielder.
I remember reading in a previous thread about Junaed being a rather poor fielder. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old August 8, 2007, 06:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Naeem is a good prospect for Bangladesh. He plays for Rajshahi and is performing consitently over the last couple of years. Now he is with the Academy team and will be touring Australia.

Hopefully we will see some good performances from him.
Thx for the info...best of luck to Naeem for the OZ tour
Old August 8, 2007, 06:40 AM
Test Cricketer

SIgh....

Can we please put a moratorium on the words 'next' and 'superstar' and any combination of the two when it comes to referring to our players?
Old August 8, 2007, 06:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
but you did say 'Top shelf, IMHO, the current genuine superstars, meaning the ones people the world over will pay to watch: Mohammad Ashraful and Mashrafe Bin Murtaza'.

these cricketers might well be superstars within bangladesh but i dare say total nonentities outside of the bangladeshi borders ...
My point exactly, as the thread title clearly suggests. For and of BD cricket within the Bangadeshi context. When it comes to Ashraful and Mashrafe, the phrase "paying to see them play" was repeatedly used by commentators during the world cup, most notably by Ian Chappell during the pre and post match shows, and Nasser Hussein during some of the ball-by-ball commentary. Ian Chappell went as far as consideing him as one of the most influential players of the near future alongside Kevin Pietersen. Mashrafe recieved similar praise from Ravi Shastri during and after the India tour. I tend to share Shastri's optimism more than Ian Chappell's at this particular point in time when it comes to the global context. When it comes to the BD context, "superstardom" should come to us as no surprise given the intense passion and emotionalism that often gets the better of our nascent cricket culture.

That said, this thread was about Junayed Siddique, not my choice of a particular word to be picked upon with questionable intent. I used the word "superstar" and not "the next big thing" repeatedly, so sue me.

Last edited by Sohel; August 8, 2007 at 08:26 AM..
Old August 8, 2007, 06:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

We hav 2 c hw he does in warm-up match b4 da world cup starts. I think he wil be good!