facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 12, 2012, 03:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Default RIP, Ravi Shankar

Rest in Peace...

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig....php?nid=43113

Indian iconic sitar maestro Pandit Ravi Shankar, who led worldwide spread of Indian music and performed to mobilise funds and global support for the liberation of Bangladesh, died early Wednesday in San Diego of United States. He was 92.

Shankar, who was unwell for the last several years, underwent a surgery on December 7 at the Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, California where he breathed his last, reports our New Delhi correspondent.

The composer was admitted to the hospital last week following complaints of breathlessness.

"It is with heavy hearts we write to inform you that Pandit Ravi Shankar, husband, father, and musical soul, passed away today," the sitar maestro’s wife and daughter, Sukanya and Anoushka Shankar Wright, said in a joint statement.

Ravi Shankar had recalled that his concern for Bangladesh's liberation was unique.

“In one day, the whole world knew the name of Bangladesh,” Ravi Shankar said in a book “George Harrison: Living in the Material World.”

“It was a fantastic occasion and I think it was the first of its kind. Now, of course, wonderful things are done, so many musicians are raising money for different causes. But the Bangladesh concert, I think, was the very first one”, the sitar wizard added.

Shankar was a Rajya Sabha member from 1986 to 1992.

A recipient of India’s highest civilian honour Bharat Ratna in 1996, Shankar lived in both India and the United States.

He is survived by his wife; daughters Norah Jones and Anoushka Shankar Wright, her husband Joe Wright, three grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

"As you all know, his health has been fragile for the past several years and on Thursday he underwent a surgery that could have potentially given him a new lease of life. Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of the surgeons and doctors taking care of him, his body was not able to withstand the strain of the surgery. We were at his side when he passed away," the joint statement said.

A three-time Grammy award winner, Pandit Ravi Shankar had last performed in California on November 4 along with his daughter Anoushka Shankar. Both the father and the daughter were pitted against each other in the race for the same award next year.

A Bengali Brahmin, Pandit Ravi Shankar whose full name was Robindra Shankar Chowdhury was born on April 7, 1920 in Varanasi.

Shankar’s father, born in what is now Bangladesh, was a government official, a lawyer, an amateur musician. Before Shankar’s birth, Shyam Shankar left his wife to practice law in Kolkata and London.

The youngest of four brothers, he spent his first 10 years in relative poverty and was brought up by his mother.

He was almost eight before he met his absent father, former minister to the Maharajah of Jhalawar.

In 1930, Shankar’s eldest brother Uday Shankar shifted the family to Paris and over the next eight years the sitar player enjoyed the limelight in Uday's dance troupe which toured the world introducing Europeans and Americans to Indian classical and folk dance.

Through his influence on his great friend American singer-guitarist George Harrison, and appearances at the Monterey and Woodstock festivals and the Concert for Bangladesh in Madison Square Garden in New York, Pandit Ravi Shankar became a household name in the West, the first Indian musician to do so.

The sitar maestro has composed music for several films including Satyajit Ray’s Apu trilogy “Pather Panchali”, “Aparajito” and “Apur Sansar” as also “Paras Pathar”, “Debi” and “Jalsaghar”.

One of his most memorable performances was the music he composed to heighten the tragedy in a shot in “Pather Panchali” when Sarbojoya, mother of Apu, breaks down following the death of her daughter Durga. It had a unique cathartic effect virtually never seen in world cinema.

It is a measure of Shankar’s global appeal that at a party hosted following the release of “Pather Panchali” in the United States, an American woman came up to the sitar maestro and requested him to play that particular piece of music where Apu and Durga run after the sweet-seller. The incident was recorded in the diary of Ray’s wife Bijoya in her book “Manik and I”.

Shankar learned the sitar with Ustad Allauddin Khan, a musician who had previously toured with the troupe. He began playing the instrument publicly in 1939 and stayed with Khan for six years.

Allauddin Khan is the founder of the Maihar Gharana style of Hindustani classical music, and become well-known in India for his virtuoso sitar playing

Old December 12, 2012, 03:25 AM
Cricket Savant

May his soul RIP!
Old December 12, 2012, 05:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

Rest in Peace
Old December 12, 2012, 11:36 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

May his soul rest in peace. A huge Bengali cultural icon has left us....
Old December 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

He made concert for Bangladesh possible.... Huge respect to this man...
Also the father of another prodigal talent Norah Jones...
Old December 12, 2012, 12:05 PM
Cricket Legend

RIP... the sitar maestro, the friend of Bangladesh...
Old December 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I'll be the first to admit, the music of Pandit Ravi Shankar is not one that I came to of my own volition. Over the years, as I heard my parents play his tapes and CDs in the car, I came to appreciate his music and develop a mild affection for it. A bit like the ghazals of Jagjit Singh, what struck me was not the virtuosity of his performances, but being the unrepentant musical philistine that I am, it made me recall many fond memories from my childhood and adolescence.

I've been listening to a few of his albums today and I randomly wondered what Pandit Shankar recalled of his childhood and adolescence after all these years. It absolutely boggles the mind to think that Pandit Ravi Shankar started to publicly play the sitar the year Nazi Germany invaded Poland, before India won its freedom, before Mao became Chairman, before the Cold War, before man deduced the structure of DNA or went to the space or the moon, before all our modern contrivances - his performances started before and continued through it all. Till now. For this reason, I suddenly feel as if an intangible connection to the past has snapped and has set us adrift in an uncertain sea
Old December 12, 2012, 05:46 PM
Cricket Guru

May his soul rest in peace
Old December 13, 2012, 01:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

May GOD rest his soul in peace. A great friend to Bangladesh in our hour of need, he will never be forgotten. The fact that his family is of Bangladeshi origin, like that of his great mentor's, makes this all the more painful for me.

I've never been a huge fan of his music, always preferring Nikhil Banerjee's (RIP) approach, but love what his daughters are doing. My heart goes out to his family and friends everywhere.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old December 13, 2012, 03:13 AM

I was never aware of his concert on liberation of Bangladesh, until I found a video tape in a rental video shop in Tokyo, it was back in `86/`87. I enjoed that video and later baught a CD of him in `90 performing with famous tabla or Shanai is it? musician named Allah Rkha of a concert held in London.

It is because his effort to our liberation, I always looked any news of him with reat interest, sadly now he is gone. May God rest his soul in peace.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Rest in peace the great pundit, maestro, world legend Sri Ravi Shankar.
My prayers for you.