facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 15, 2004, 07:29 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

Default icc champions trophy 2004 - 1st and last time usa will play a odi

usa will NEVER EVER get to play any more odis after this iccct 2004.

usa wont even qualify for the 2007 or any future wc.

its time icc end this stupidity of spreading cricket to usa.

if cricket has to spread it should be spread to countries wherethe local population is interested in cricket and plays cricket. spreading cricket to countries like nepal, namibia, uganda, bermuda, ireland, scotland, holland will be more good for the cricket as the locals play cricket. namibia and holland teams in the wc 2003 had local players except 2-3 in their team.

cricket should not be spread to countries like usa, canada, etc where the locals r not even interested in cricket.

Old August 15, 2004, 08:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

I will not stick my neck out to make such predictions. There was a time when USA were not interested in football. Now they are interested in football. Recently they were ranked as high as 7 the in the FIFA ranking. USA's ally England is promoting 20/20 vigorously. This promotion is meant more for USA than any other country. Who knows,may be england can pursue USA to play 20/20. From that onwards, they may think of graduating to ODI. But I cannot foresee them playing matches that stretch for more than one days.
Old August 15, 2004, 02:49 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by amit(a huge BD fan)
usa wont even qualify for the 2007 or any future wc.

its time icc end this stupidity of spreading cricket to usa.
USA is potential market both financially and cricket wise. ICC is doing the right thing in spreading cricket in US. It would be foolish not to include US in cricket globalization. Cricket will get popularity once US team starts doing something solid. US has huge baseball following, thats why cricket will be easier for them to get into.
Old August 15, 2004, 03:05 PM
First Class Cricketer

they simply want USA to be the most powerful country in practically everything...including sports....just watch the olympics and see who becomes first at the end of it..its really typical..but in cricket...Asia will dominate it soon...very soon!!
Old August 16, 2004, 12:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I don't really have any soft corner for USA....but ppl..they actually qualified for this ICC Champions Trophy...So they deserve to be here....Chill...
Old August 16, 2004, 07:26 PM
Banned

To add: number of clubs playing cricket in the USA is increasing fast. There are more leagues, tourneys than ever before. Quality cricketers from other parts of the world come here and play these days. The oldest cricket clubs here are more than a century old. The huge immigrant population from all parts of the world is a big plus. It did the trick with soccer. Cricket is heading in the same direction.
Old August 16, 2004, 09:02 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

I am absolutely against any team that can't make up an entire national team with their own players. Teams that really shouldn't be allowed:

USA, Canada, UAE, Hong Kong etc.
Half of the Kenyan player pool is made up of Indian and Pakistani players. The reason i won't put them in the same category as USA is because the Indian-Kenyans were mostly Kenyan born and bred as opposed to the half-breeds (sorry if this sounds a little rough) from USA or UAE.

One of the perfect candidates for a future test nation is NEPAL. They should have a second tier test structure with 6-8 teams. I'd suggest the following teams for this stage:

Kenya
Scotland
Ireland
Nepal
Holland
Namibia

Uganda, UAE, USA, CANADA, Bermuda and Hong kong could make up the rest. The ICC intercontinental cup is a great step in this direction.
Old August 17, 2004, 02:43 AM
Cricket Legend

If they have a 2nd teir then Bangladesh will play in that and we dont want that. I say they just have the Intercontinental cup and play that a lot more for those sides.
Old August 17, 2004, 09:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

Do not suggest Kenya for the second tier as it looks stronger than BD at present
Old August 17, 2004, 09:14 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

Ummm, Kenya does not have the test status at this moment. My suggestion is for teams that do not have test status at this moment. So I WILL suggest Kenya for the tier system at this moment as THEY ARE playing in the intercontinental cup. It's not like we can penalize them (by not allowing them to play either test or intercontinental) because they are playing well at this moment.

people are just too touchy.
Old August 18, 2004, 08:01 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

i do agree with tehsin bhai.

i also am compeletely against a team which can create a cricket team without using its own players. teams like usa, canada, hong kong shouldnt be allowed to play cricket. uae had 1 arab in their 1996 team in sultan zarawani, but then somewhere i read that uae has 11 players in their squad born and brought up in uae, so atleast some improvement in 8 years.

however, a 2-tier test system needs to be started to help the non-test teams. bd should be in the 1st tier, no doubt. i have always been saying this, it is 100% possible to have a 2-tier test system with bd in the 1st tier.

the 2nd tier can have the next 10 teams like kenya, namibia, holland, scotland, ireland, denmark, uae, nepal, uganda, canada.
Old September 2, 2004, 02:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

i do agree with tehsin.
Old September 2, 2004, 02:15 PM
Cricket Legend

bangla mastan ami apnar shathe akmot. cricket is going to be the only sport where the subcontinent will dominate. no matter how much money icc invests in usa and canada and china even it will never be popular. cuz one should really go and survey and find out how many people actually has a decent idea about what cricket is and how it is played.
Old September 6, 2004, 02:24 PM
Test Cricketer

agreed with tehsin bhai.
Old September 6, 2004, 02:26 PM
Test Cricketer

u know what, USA will be the world cup champion soon and u know how, they will just bomb the field and take the cup:P

Edited on, September 6, 2004, 7:26 PM GMT, by TigerFan.
Old September 7, 2004, 07:13 PM
Cricket Legend

no matter how much we want to cry about it, there is no stopping immigration, flow of jobs, etc from one country to another. people go where the jobs are. by now the USA has a significant number of people who descend from cricket-playing countries. what remains to be seen is if their kids will play the sport. I have no doubt that in time the US will field players born in this country.

Amit, what will you do when USA beats India 4-0?
Old September 8, 2004, 06:27 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq
no matter how much we want to cry about it, there is no stopping immigration, flow of jobs, etc from one country to another. people go where the jobs are. by now the USA has a significant number of people who descend from cricket-playing countries. what remains to be seen is if their kids will play the sport. I have no doubt that in time the US will field players born in this country.

Amit, what will you do when USA beats India 4-0?
USA wont play any odis after the iccct. no chance of usa beating ind 4-0. replace usa with bd in that post as that could cm a bit more realistic than usa beating ind.

only teams who will come up in cricket will be european teams like ireland, scotland, holland, maybe even denmark and asian teams like nepal, malaysia, uae, afghanistan and maybe oman, kuait.
Old September 8, 2004, 06:51 AM
Cricket Legend

I think we should separate two different things. What do we mean by own people? If the players have migrated and they have valid citizenship, we should not have any objection. Like the Kenyans. Their names suggest to be indians, but they are Kenyan citizen since long time. Similar case with Canada. But on the otherhand, players of UAE are mere residents, having no status of citizen, which is not acceptable.
Old September 8, 2004, 07:05 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

if cricket has to be spread, it has to be spread in countries like ireland, scotland, nepal where the local population plays cricket and is interested in the game as well. also these types of countries have a decent fan base.

spreading cricket in usa makes no sense. in sports like hockey and football, usa have done nothing great so far. even in basketball, despite having so much,usa flopped badly in the olympics.

cricket will never take off in the usa and only in countries like ireland, scotland, nepal will the game expand and there teams will be test/odi teams in the near future.
Old September 8, 2004, 08:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Sam, you make a very valid point. The bigger issue is how ridiculous the Arab countries are, using foreign workers (and enslaving some of them low in the food chain) yet not willing to grant citizenship to those same people. It's one of the most overlooked human rights violations in today's world.
Old September 8, 2004, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

[quote
spreading cricket in usa makes no sense. in sports like hockey and football, usa have done nothing great so far. even in basketball, despite having so much,usa flopped badly in the olympics.

cricket will never take off in the usa and only in countries like ireland, scotland, nepal will the game expand and there teams will be test/odi teams in the near future. [/quote]

I don't think you quite understand the spirit of sports, and your comments are dissapointing. What is it to you if the USA or Timbuktu decides to try to play cricket? I thought sports should be spread across the globe - isn't that the objective? Don't bring your general apathy towards the USA into this issue, if that indeed is what your issue is with the whole thing. There are enough players playing cricket in the USA and those who live here see that - so I see no reason why the US cannot field a national team.

And as for football (soccer), if you think the US hasn't done anything great, winning the world cup is not the only measure. Count the number of American players in the Premiership and in Europe, and go watch the quality of MLS games next time you get a chance. Then of course there is the US women's team. I am not trying to be a US cheerleader, but your comments have no basis in reality - it seems you don't understand the bigger picture.

Edited on, September 8, 2004, 1:39 PM GMT, by rafiq.
Reason: having problems with my brain today...
Old September 8, 2004, 08:37 AM
Cricket Legend

sorry i posted the same thing twice

Edited on, September 8, 2004, 1:38 PM GMT, by rafiq.
Old September 8, 2004, 08:38 AM
Cricket Legend

In my opinion there isnt a prob with the tier system ONLY IF we continue to play test cricket and not religated to play the non-test teams. And also the test tier shud be 5 on top 5 on bottom. Mind u any teir system introduction wud mean test cricket will not be as good as it is now.
Old September 8, 2004, 09:29 AM
Cricket Legend

dhuru usa a one day khellai ki na khellai ba ki, aidike je amader test match khela niye tanaporen choltesen.
Old September 8, 2004, 07:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

USA beat Zimbabwe in a warm up game by 4 wickets. Chasing 273 to win, US chased the target quite comfortably. Judging by this match, USA is as good as Zimbabwe and Kenya, if not better.

Edited on, September 9, 2004, 12:31 AM GMT, by cricketfan.