facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Is It Worthwhile For ICC To Back Expat Based Teams?
Yes. Encourage More Countries To Play 1 9.09%
Yes. Its a Globalized World. Local or Foreginer Doesnt Matter 3 27.27%
No. This only benefits those not good enough for their countries, and part time expats 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14, 2016, 03:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Debate: Is It Worthwhile For ICC to Back Expat Based Teams

Here's an interesting debate. Is it worthwhile for ICC to persist with expatriate based teams?

Here are the rules: http://www.toxovolia.com/downloads/c...ligibility.pdf

I think 4 years residency is adequate to be considered for eligibility, plus the player needs to play some domestic cricket etc of the said nation.

But expatriate based teams like UAE, Hong Kong, Oman, Holland etc have few or no locals. Its usually Pakistani's, Indian's, Sri Lankan's etc who are employed in such countries, and are semi professional cricketers. But usually such teams are very short term based. A good expat may come there play once or twice and then dissappear. Very little work is done at age group level. You are pretty much at the mercy of the foreigners who settle there, rather than developing from within. Holland has a bit of a different scenario with individuals from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand becoming eligible for having a Dutch passport. Very few are local born.

Now its a different situation with Afghanistan, Ireland, Scotland, Nepal etc who primarily have local origin players.

So what should ICC's stance be? Should they become rigid with rules regarding expatriates. Should they focus on long term development, and instead invest on countries where the game is followed by locals? Or should they relax the rules and not worry whether foreigners or locals play as long as more countries play and follow the game.

Old March 14, 2016, 03:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

I won't call them Expatriates. I will call them mercenaries. Not commenting on the rules because it is full of trash.
Old March 14, 2016, 03:55 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Even for Netherlands how on earth their captain is still playing? These guys and Irish guys were great players but where are the new talents? Still portefield and obrien brothers are playing.. i dont see any future with any of these teams until we see fresh young talent. ICC should focus on Ireland, Afghanistan and Nepal and forget the rest imo
Old March 14, 2016, 04:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Only citizens should be allowed to represent a country. That's my view.
Old March 14, 2016, 04:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Honestly I find it pathetic, I have told my friends for so long, cricket is becoming a desi game.

Not only the teams mentioned but look at the list of them,

USA, Canada, Norway, Denmark, Hong Kong, UAE, Oman, Kuwait, Singapore, Malaysia.

Only a few teams have locals dominating,

Namibia, PNG, Scotland, Ireland, Holland, Nepal, China, Italy.

With the amount of Desis in the expat team I find it quite appalling to be honest that cricket has taken this turn for the worst.

ICC has been an idiot till now. The fact that nobody gives a damn about Ireland or Netherland or Scotland to play against test playing nations to develop further really baffles me. How the hell are they going to improve? What is the reason behind such incompetent handling of all the upcoming teams as there is no future in the game for them?

ICC has no long term future plan and whatever plans it has it is very very monetary based. Big 3 my foot. ICC does need a complete re-haul.

Another thing i wanna point out is the format changes every freaking year.

Super 8, Super 10, Qualifer to play Qualifying Round, 2009 wc then 2010 WC again, 2016 wc and 4 years after 2020 WC, 4 teams in 4 groups, 2 groups of 5 teams. WTF is wrong with these people!

Again as I said, no long term goals, a very compulsive disorder oriented decision making, no strategic goals defined, always think short term and a biased view of the game favouring the strong cricket boards.
Old March 14, 2016, 04:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Only genuine associate teams are: Afg, Nep, Scot, and Ire. Rest are fake and should be disallowed IMO!
Old March 14, 2016, 04:33 AM
Test Cricketer

I say don't be so lenient on their using expatriate players and set the bar much higher for them to get enrolled into the real market.
Old March 14, 2016, 07:13 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Dale Steyn

Total waste of resources that could be spent on teams that have a real future. Even if a team like UAE ever became professional their players will get deported soon as they retire for not being citizens of the country.

Some people are putting Canada in the list with these teams but I don't think it's right. Canada team might be full of brown players born abroad but at least these players are Canadian citizens. Canada also has a very large Desi Population which can keep the sport alive as long as it is passed on to the next generation.
Old March 14, 2016, 01:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Yeah I hate fake teams...they are just a bunch of Pakistanis. Only exception is USA since I am American and America is a country of immigrants. 80% popukation is white, but 90% athletes are black, so US is already an exception to the rule.

Go USA!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 14, 2016, 01:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Case of descrimination here.
If a player has waited the 3/4 years to qualify,and if he is good and you don't pick him,then its descrimination.
Now I am not for it England has 80/90 players,foreigners playing as locals.Nz has a big % too in domestic cricket.And if these players qualify and are good enough you have to pick them.
Do I like it no.I have lost count of how many foreigners/mercenaries have played for England.
But if your the best player you have to be picked.
What is unfair is agents,players and coaches encouraging players to make the switch of a country,this is not however illegal.
Old March 14, 2016, 01:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

First, ICC needs to do is revamp T20 WC format. 12 teams could have easily participated in two groups. Ireland and Holland are very close to the bottom elites. 8 qualifying for QFs. 4 venues can easily finish the tournament within a month.

Second, increase the funding for the Associates.

Third, oversight committee evaluate the funding utilization for the associate countries. Infra structure investment. Professional advice on how to sustain long term growth and implementation processes.
Old March 14, 2016, 02:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Guys you will not fix the drain unless you fix S African cricket.
6 sides,3 players of colour,3 black players,leaving 5 whites in which was a generally white sport.That racial mix is in all levels of cricket.last year they wanted 4 black players,3 players of colour,so the future does not look good for white cricketers.Thus a lot are leaving heading to England,NZ,Hollad,ireland and Scotland.
In Australia they have 6 states,thats not enough for a burgeoning player base,they need 7/8 states,juniors coming through seeing how tough it is look at England,Nz and European countries.

The movement of people out of Bangladesh,India,Afghanistan,Nepal,Pakistan and Sri lanka for various reasons,means people are leaving these countries in droves,whether economic,poverty,refugees.These countries need to build their ecomomic system,as well as human rights,education etc,otherwise there will continue to be a drain through out the world.Thus feeding the player drain to the US,Canada,through to England,Australia,NZ,to middle eastern countries,through to the rest of Europe.
Old March 14, 2016, 02:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Even for Netherlands how on earth their captain is still playing? These guys and Irish guys were great players but where are the new talents? Still portefield and obrien brothers are playing.. i dont see any future with any of these teams until we see fresh young talent. ICC should focus on Ireland, Afghanistan and Nepal and forget the rest imo
Andrew Balbarnie
George Dockrell (Considered as the best spinner outside the test nations)
Andrew Mcbrine

Are three new quality players that Ireland produced in the past 2-3 years.

ICC must ensure that England never gets to poach players from ireland.. that system is just not fair...

Take the example of football , England can be one of the best ranked side in the world if only they had the services of Gareth bale and Aaron Ramsey, but they do not go poaching for them. Instead these guys played for Wales... Same goes with Roy Keane.
Old March 14, 2016, 02:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Oman has 10 divisions in their cricket league... 2 million expats living there and by the looks of it everyone plays cricket... I don't think other than Afghans, any of the associate nation have these many people playing cricket.

Btw, as a kid, I remember the time when we used to be really scared facing the likes of UAE. We hardly ever won. Since we will be playing in Kolkata next, I hope our players give some kind of tribute to Jagmohon Dalmiya... if it werent for that man, we would still be talking about test status....
Old March 14, 2016, 02:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Is it considered poaching if the players agree to play with another team?

Where's an analogy when I need one...

It's like Marco Rubio, you know that you'll never be president but u still decide to run regardless
Old March 14, 2016, 02:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Is it considered poaching if the players agree to play with another team?

Where's an analogy when I need one...

It's like Marco Rubio, you know that you'll never be president but u still decide to run regardless
It is still poaching, because while the player agrees but he is enticed by the lure of money and fame. Ofcourse Eoin morgan would play for england and so would any player from the irish team because at the end of the day a players career is short, and playing 50 internationals a year is more lucrative than playing 5 international after every 4 year. This is where ICC has a role to play and ensure that money and opportunity is never the reason for the player to change his national team.
Old March 14, 2016, 03:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Never going 2 happen Tonmoy,there is big money involved,especially coming to England.
I guess for lesser lights like Scotland,Holland and Irelan no, but if you use your heritage you can get a county contract.
Con Delange played County cricket for years using his passport,he got dropped,instead of going back to S Africa he went to Scotland,and represented them.