facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old April 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

NHL Playoff Series so far:

Old April 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I had a feeling the Flyers would advance even before this round of Playoffs began. Sorry to see the Canucks going down too. Sure, comebacks happen, but what are the odds? Chicago and Washington are pretty screwed too. The Sharks are playoff chokers, so no surprise there.
Old April 22, 2012, 01:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Hawks and Pens are recent Cup winners with considerable depth and solid goaltending. I won't count them out yet. The Bruins are also in it. Our exit on the other hand became clear to me from game 1 of our series. Just like against the Sharks over the last two years, we peppered the opposition with bogus shots from odd angles as the opposition funneled us into the boards in their zone. Not good when they have top of the line goalies from Finaland. Time to get rid of good-for-nothing liabilities like Stuart, Hudler and Bertuzzi and contend again next year.

My "Dark Horse" teams for this year: Nashville and the Kings. Both Rinne and Quick are capable of stealing the Cup with those solid D-men and back-checkers in front of them. The Blues aren't really "Dark Horse" and may go all the way.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old April 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
Cricket Savant

I expected the Pens-Philly series to end in 7, preferably with a Pens victory, but Giroux and company proved to be too hungry for early advancement. Great to see such intense rivalries in the League. The Wings have had a couple of such rivalries in the past. the Leafs (before the 90s) and the Avs (the 90s), before the other teams fell off the top shelf. No hope of reviving things with the Leafs, they won't be good enough unless they move south of the border to places like Oklahoma City or Galveston, Texas (places where they don't differentiate hockey and hokey), but the Avs may be on their way up. I've said it once and I'll say it again: NO Canada-based team will win the Cup in my lifetime. The rivalry with Chicago was always in good spirit.

The Flyers are for real this year. More skilled than the Broad Street Bullies and the Legion of Doom (we swept them in the '97 SCF, being huge underdogs and all), they play together as a team and not around a particular super star like Bobby Clarke or Eric Lindros. Giroux adds the type of skill and finesse they've never had before, and that alone has transformed their typically rock-'em-sock-'em-dump-and-chase hockey into the balanced game we've seen all year this year.

I expected Vancouver to choke. The Rangers are next.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; April 23, 2012 at 12:49 AM..
Old April 24, 2012, 12:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Well, the West is set without any Original 6 team in the semis. So I'm rooting for the Bruins and the Rangers to go through. Thanks largely to Lundquivst, the NuYawkehz may not choke after all. What a goalie!
Old April 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
Cricket Savant

TOTAL bummer to see the Bruins bow out. Holtby looks to be a very special goalie.

My early predictions:

1. The Cup: Nashville or Philly with LA as the outside possibility
2. Conn Smythe: Rinne or Giroux
3. Hart: Malkin or Quick
4. Selke: Datsyuk or J. Staal
5. Norris: Lidstrom or Weber
6. Vezina: Quick or Lundquivst
Old May 2, 2012, 12:48 AM
Cricket Savant

What an interesting postseason this is turning out to be! The Kings aren't surprising me a bit but the Devils sure have. Definitely looks to be toss up much like the other Eastern semis.

I'm not sure if Nashville has already run out of steam after outworking us in the first round, the way the Sharks did for a couple of years before them, but Phoenix looked pretty solid at home.

We're expected to make some big moves come July 1, and in light of all the cap room we have, Parise is a realistic target. Not sure either Weber or Suter is. Nashville won't let them go. Holland and Babcock are under pressure and have come under criticism for their favoritism. Bertuzzi, Hudler, Stuart and Emmerton need to be offloaded ASAP. Franzen, once thought of as "lazy during the regular season but a playoff performer", has quickly become "performs during the regular season but lazy during the playoffs". What's next? "Lazy all year around"?

Here's what I'd like to see next year, if Nick calls it quits.

Goal:

-Howard & McDonanld ... Howie tends to nap when not faced with a lot of shots. He needs to work on that. Conklin just sucks.

D:

-Weber/Suter/Other Elite D & Ericsson
-Kronwall (A) & Quincey/Kindl
-White & Smith

F(LW + C+ RW):

-(New Acquisition)/Zetterberg (A) + Datsyuk (C) + Zetterberg (A)/Holmstrom (or New Acquisition if he retires) ... scoring line capable of checking

-Nyquist + Filppula + (New Acquisition) ... scoring line capable of checking

-(New Acquisition) + Parise + Eaves ... checking line capable of scoring regularly

-Abdelkader/Miller + Helm (A) + Cleary/Conner/Miller ... checking line tiring the opposition and capable of scoring the odd goal

I'm sure Franzen, Hudler and Stuart can be traded. They'll free-up even more cap space in the process.

BTW, where are you Beamer?

Last edited by Sohel; May 3, 2012 at 01:20 PM..
Old May 3, 2012, 10:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Dude, Where am I at? I am hiding, thats where I am at. Crushing loss for Pens. I knew they were good and the toughest match up for us, but never thought our defense and goalie would pull that kind of crap. To make matters worse, my wifey's family is from Philly, and they are giving it to me. I have basically deleted some from FB, ignoring calls, and texts...lol..Fault is with Ray Shero for signing those two bums in Paul Martin and Zybanek Michalek last year. We are stuck with their contract. $5m and $4m with NTC. They are so bad that Martin was benched and Michalek relegated to third pairing. The call up kids from WB-S was way better, but by then we were already 0-3 down. Then, there is Fleury. Don't know what to make with this guy. Great one game, shitty for next two. Can't do it. To make matters worse, the M & M contract which ties up $9mil per year, leaves us with no wiggle room. So, someone has to be moved. Staal and Crosby contract are up, Malkin a year after. We will surely part with one. Just sad all around. Defensive faults were just too glaring. We were getting by because we were scoring five-six goals every game down the stretch. But, Philly can match you score for score, and we got exposed. Haven't watched a single game since we bowed out. So, really can't comment on the rest, but clutching, obstruction and grabbing is back in NHL. It has slowed down the game for talented high scoring rosters. So, Pens-Wings-Hawks-Nucks are all out, despite having superior talent. The defensive style is winning big time. Just look at the teams left. I think, some re-adjustment need to be done with talented rosters.

I will drop by from time to time. BTW, we are having our first child in early July. Pray for us. Getting super busy already. Awaiting the birth of the newest Tigers fan !!!
Old May 3, 2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Congratulations Beamer bhai! The next Pens and Steelers fan too I presume?
Old May 3, 2012, 11:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Ya know it !!!

Thanks for the wishes.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Congrats bro, may GOD continue to grace you and Bhabi with His blessings. Now I have no reason to avoid Pittsburgh.

Welcome back to the thread BTW. This just ain't the same without you. I know what you mean about Shero. Holland's been going through quite a bit of criticism also, as I've mentioned earlier. Sure we have a lot of cap room, if Nick retires (I hope he doesn't) we'll have more, but a "money puck" team like ours ought to have even more. More than enough to rebuild. Lazyboy Franzen, Gutless Hudler, Slowmobile Bertuzzi and Idiot Stuart are grossly overpaid for they've been producing of late, and even Zetterberg has been mediocre since scoring 43 goals and getting the Conn Smythe. He has declined from elite status to the player Filppula was supposed to be. Bad prospects like Emmerton have been getting way too many chances. Anyway, we'll see what Holland does come July 1st. He'll lose his job if we don't win the Cup over the next 2 years and the Illich family will have to bring Yzerman back as GM and President, the dream scenario for the Red Wing Nation. Holland needs to sign Weber (unlikely), Suter (likely) and Parise (likely) and get rid of the dead weight. He'll spend a lot on J. Staal should he become available.

This year's playoffs show how "lesser" teams have managed to exploit the complacency of the more skilled, puck-possession type teams. They forecheck and backcheck us into the boards and force us to take weak shots at their strong goalies. Then when they get their chances, they bury those with ease. Skilled guys like Giroux add considerable punch to that strategy as goalies like Fleury and our Howard (although not the same class as Fleury YET) are caught napping. These guys tend to nap when not faced with a lot of quality shots initially. Elliot and Holtby are the same. Rinne, Quick, Thomas and Lundquivst on the other hand, are always focused.

I see a Kings versus Devils/Flyers SCF this year, now that the Preds look to have run out of gas after playing us. Kovalchuk is an amazing player and Marty looks solid in goal, and future Red Wing Parise is simply awesome. Quick, Richards and Carter have made the Kings difficult to play against and even more difficult to beat.

Last edited by Sohel; May 8, 2012 at 02:42 AM..
Old May 5, 2012, 04:09 AM

Fantastic news Beamer bhai. Congrats and all the best for bhabi and the "new hope" and for you as well!
Great times awaiting for you ...
Old May 5, 2012, 09:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Thank you brothers !

Sohel- You are welcome anytime...

You are spot on with your observation. Couldn't agree more how "lesser" teams have played and continue to play this year. Post lock out, every obstruction was called, and teams like Pens emphasized on puck moving skating defenders to get the puck out of zone quickly to join the rush. We focused on those type of D men instead of big space eating defense first defense men. But, when obstruction is not enforced like it was in previous years, those smaller faster D men are a liability instead of strength. Not an excuse for our shocking exit, but, something to ponder as we rebuild if obstruction rules are not enforced.

Wings have tons of cap room. Plus, the lore of Wings doesn't hurt luring UFA's. Webber ( hope he and Z berg gets along after that assault ) and Parise are rumored to be joining Wings. We have no cap room, unless we eat the $9 mil with M & M. Very unlikely. Our defense needs an overhaul. If it was up to me, I will try to trade Martin and Michalek ( but not possible with contract like that ), or just buy them out and admit mistake. Also trade Orpik ( on his way down ). Keep Letang. Sign Suter. Bring up Simon Depres and make him a full time starter. Ditto Brian Strait. Re-sign Matt Niskanen. And, sign a big space eating mean guy like Brian Allen of Carolina.

Jordan Staal will be moved. So sad, but no other option. Will Malkin be moved? Who knows. But, how do move MVP type players who puts up numbers? and, especially when nobody knows whats the thing with Crosby. Is he one hit away from you know what again??? In that case, at least you have a MVP player the stature of Malkin. Crosby will never be moved. He is the franchise here. But, its important for him and us that he lasts the whole year next year. He was rusty and who can blame him when you spend so much time away. So, critical for him to rest and regain his playing form back this summer and we can go from there.

I am rooting for Coyotes. Dave Tippet is a favorite, an ex-Pen, and he has my support.

Wings better not fire Babcock ( heard some rumors ). If they do, Bylsma is goner the same day, and Babcock will be hired here. I assure you that with 100% certainty. He is admired big time here.
Old May 6, 2012, 03:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Some are on Babcock's case but they're pretty small in number. People are having issues with Holland and some of the underperforming, overpaid players I've mentioned already. Most feel that if those players cannot perform the way Babcock wants them to, they didn't, we should get rid of them and not Babcock. People want nothing short of winning the Cup, and are beginning to find Holland gloating over consecutive 100 point/playoff seasons offensive and demeaning. We're not the Maple Leafs FGS! Even winning the President's Trophy means nothing to us. You're a Steeler fan and know exactly what I'm talking about.

That being said, "local guy" Bylsma is hugely popular amongst the fans as are all Michiganders coaching and playing elsewhere. Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Kessler and Legwand probably top that list. Anyway, Wings fans have immense respect for the Pens for beating us at the Joe in game 7 and taking the Cup, and admire Malkin, Fleury, J. Staal and Letang. Crosby has never been popular here but everyone sympathizes with his situation, wants him healthy, and sees his value as perhaps the greatest point machine since Gretzky. I feel the same way and must appreciate his egomaniacal desire and hunger to score. He is the Tendulkar of hockey.

Looks like the Caps may oust the Rangers and face either the Devils or the Flyers in the Eastern finals. The winner of the NJ/PA series will make it to the SCF and will have a great chance to win it all. Giroux made me hate the Flyers less now, something not even favorite players like Forsberg and Brindamour were able to do during their respective stints in Philly. What an AWESOME player!

I'm sure the Kings will take the West this year by doing to the Coyotes what the Preds (and the Sharks before them, TWICE) did to us. My money's on the Cup going to Hollywood this year. With Quick in goal, they're just too tough to beat.

Last edited by Sohel; May 6, 2012 at 03:47 AM..
Old May 6, 2012, 05:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

Congrats Beamer Bhai

NHL thread is back in session
Old May 6, 2012, 05:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Congratulations Beamer Bhai
Old May 7, 2012, 02:48 AM
Cricket Savant

Well, the Kings have done it as expected and done it in style. They'll thrash Phoenix in the Western finals. Jersey's just a game away from the Eastern finals and I expect to see them in the SCF also. There, they'll fall to LA in 6 games max. Quick and the fast, unrelenting aggression of his teammates cannot be overcome by anyone from the East this year. Simply too good. The speedy, aggressive forechecking and backchecking of the Kings remind me of our 3rd and 4th lines from the 90s and early 2000s. Now we only have Helm and Abdelkader capable of disrupting and tiring the opposition and that explains our early exit over the past 3 years. Holland better do something about it.

Last edited by Sohel; May 7, 2012 at 05:41 AM..
Old May 7, 2012, 08:01 AM
Cricket Guru

I know exactly what it means Sohel. Steelers went 12-4 in 3 of the last 4 seasons, with one SB victory and a loss in SB, and yet, the failures are considered a bust season. Sometimes, the expectations of these heralded teams are too much for players and coaches to live up to. I understand what Wings are going through. Its hard carrying the burden of great franchise names.

Giroux is a great player no doubt, though he plays for the Cryers. I hope Devils put an end to it on Tuesday. That was a dirty dirty hit by him on Zubrus.

What a story the Kings and Quick have become. A few months ago, they couldn't buy a goal, and almost didn't make the playoffs. Look at them now ! Sometimes a team that are in playoff mode a month before the playoffs have a huge advantage over teams that are in comfortably. How many Presidents trophy winners have actually won the whole thing in recent years? Not many.
Old May 7, 2012, 08:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaHiMa
Congrats Beamer Bhai

NHL thread is back in session
Thanks a lot !!
Old May 7, 2012, 08:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Congratulations Beamer Bhai
Thank you brother !!
Old May 7, 2012, 09:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Bro, Zinat's a woman. Another Shakibrulz moment in BC no doubt!
Old May 7, 2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Have been watching a couple of games here and there, but have lost interest in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs for the most part. Will watch regularly from game four of the finals. :P
Old May 7, 2012, 10:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Bro, Zinat's a woman. Another Shakibrulz moment in BC no doubt!
Ooops! Sorry, sister Zinat. That's what happens when you don't visit BC as often.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Have been watching a couple of games here and there, but have lost interest in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs for the most part. Will watch regularly from game four of the finals. :P
Same here.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:55 AM
Cricket Savant

I feel you bros. It kinda sucks when our teams aren't in it. For me seeing the Wings, Bruins, Pens and the Hawks go, in that order, has been a downer, but I've been having a blast watching Quick and the swarming Kings play. Watching some of the Devils has also been fun. Future Red Wing Parise rocks and the supremely skilled Kovalchuk is an absolute pleasure to watch. Too bad Giroux totally ran out of steam and hasn't shown up in the second round yet. That'd have been fun.