facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 4, 2010, 10:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players
Default Discarded duo's distant dream

It seems that the 2011 World Cup is a distant dream for once leading cricketers like opener Shahriar Nafees and all-rounder Alok Kapali. But things could have been different now if they didn't go off track in a very crucial stage of their career. The focus could have been on them with the mega event coming to the country but the reality is that they are now struggling to revive their international fortunes.

Nothing can be more worthy for a cricketer than playing the World Cup in their own soil but the two talented cricketers are not in a position even to dream of playing in the game's showcase event, because it is not an easy task for them to push the selectors for finding a place for them in the national squad.

True there has been a vacuum in the pipeline so that some out-of-favour cricketer can keep his place in the national side but right at the moment they are not the right ones to be considered for the national team.

Nafees was very much aware of the fact and that's why he has no immediate target with the national team.

"It's a dream for any sportsman to play in the World Cup but I'm realistic. It is not an easy task for me to find a place in the national team right now. I have to do something extraordinary to draw the attention of the selectors," said the left-handed opener while talking to the reporters at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur yesterday where he came with the other cricketers to join a conditioning camp.

"I think still I have enough cricket behind me. So I'm working hard to revive my international career. I want to get my position back in the national side through my performances and I'm very much confident. I may miss the coming World Cup but I still have a chance to play the next one after 2011," he added.

Kapali, another enigma of Bangladesh cricket after Mohammad Ashraful, was however emotional with the World Cup compared to Nafees's realistic approach. "I played the 2003 World Cup but missed the 2007 one. This time we are hosting the World Cup, so it's like a dream to play for the country. I still believe this is possible for me to play the World Cup but for that I have to do something special," said Kapali.

"Yes, there is a rumor that I'm not ready to work hard and that's why I missed some opportunities. But the reality is that I was sick at the time but now I'm okay. My first target is to gain fitness and then take every opportunity to get back my place in the national team," he added.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=149433

I've been highly critical of these 2 but I really hope they don't give up on playing for the national team and stay hungry..they are still young and could make an impact if they maintain a positive attitude and work hard to improve their games..despite SN having a good average for ODIs his performance is very poor against the test playing nations but his average in tests is pretty good for a BD batsman..I don't see Alok being a Test player but he could have an outside chance of being in ODIs..when he clicks he's very good but he's way 2 inconsistent..he seems 2 have pretty good technique as well which is always good..honestly speaking though these 2 should not play in the World Cup since they barely have any match practice..they should really focus on playing well in the 4 dayers and show they deserve a call up..

Old August 4, 2010, 10:38 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
"It's a dream for any sportsman to play in the World Cup ...
I wonder where was this feeling when he gave interview to Z-Sports (and I quote):
Quote:
"ICL is the best thing that has ever happened to me!"
You reap what you sow.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old August 4, 2010, 11:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
I wonder where was this feeling when he gave interview to Z-Sports (and I quote):

You reap what you sow.
Your 100% correct Nasif bhai..these guys definitely got what they deserved..I respect that their professional athletes and have to make money but it was a really bad idea from the start and in the end it really didn't hurt BD cricket as much as we 1st thought but now they are realizing how tough it is to just get back in the team..I didn't see them benefiting at all from joining the ICL..it seemed pretty much like a vacation for them and now their paying heavy consequences..before SN was battling out for the opener spot but now it has gone totally to Imrul..he might have lost his job to him anyways but he could have found another position on the team had he stayed..forget about the India test, he was terrible in the 4 dayers..as for Alok he was slowly becoming a regular thanks to that classy 115* against India and Siddons becoming a fan of him but he really hurt himself a lot..he worked so hard finally coming back in to the team and what does he do? He throws it all away thanks to a poor decision..he seems like he's in better shape then Nafees because we still lack a good finisher but he has been poor in domestics since he came back..I still can't understand why they would do that..their learning the hard way now..hopefully they don't lose hope though and don't give up..
Old August 5, 2010, 02:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

SN coule be useful against holland , eire and Zim

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old August 5, 2010, 05:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

I still feel that Alok can have a chance to return to the national fold, but these guys have to realize that there are other guys waiting to take their place. Seems that Aftab is no where in the picture. What a shame! he could have been a good batsman if he was willing to work hard, but as you guys have mentioned here is that he is too lazy. Maybe, he will play domestic cricket and probably be in the A team.
Old August 5, 2010, 09:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: SAKIB AL HASAN

you never know but IMO Aftab's chance of playing 2011 is almost over.Unless he does something extraordinary in the domestic league,he will be not able come near to national team.
Old August 5, 2010, 10:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

I don't know about 2011 WC, but both of this players I believe has still much to contribute to BD cricket.

Them going to ICL was a good thing for both them and BD national team. It created openings for new players and allowed them to show at the ICL stage that they do have some contribution in them. At the time of ICL, their spot in the national team was not cemented and there is a good chance they may have been lost in the shuffle altogether.

At the end of the day I think they can help the team if utlilized for their strengths. SN if he is kept away from early swing and Kapali if used as a hard hitting finisher who can provide a few overs with the ball.
Old August 5, 2010, 10:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
I don't know about 2011 WC, but both of this players I believe has still much to contribute to BD cricket.

Them going to ICL was a good thing for both them and BD national team. It created openings for new players and allowed them to show at the ICL stage that they do have some contribution in them. At the time of ICL, their spot in the national team was not cemented and there is a good chance they may have been lost in the shuffle altogether.

At the end of the day I think they can help the team if utlilized for their strengths. SN if he is kept away from early swing and Kapali if used as a hard hitting finisher who can provide a few overs with the ball.
Showing at the low class ICL stage means ZERO. They went for the easy money but got cheated & they are much more lost in the shuffle now than they were then.

Last edited by Habib; August 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM..
Old August 5, 2010, 06:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

The way it's going looks like the distant dream will even become further super far away! The Duo should get into show business now, and make/produce the Bangla version of 3 Stooges by taking a 3rd one in, there's plenty to choose from!
Old August 5, 2010, 06:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the bold part..them not playing any OD's and 4 day cricket seems to have taken a toll on them..besides Aftab and SN the other ICLers were terrible in the DPL and in the 4 dayers only Nazimuddin performed well and the rest rarely put up any good scores..Alok was a good player in the NCL 4 dayers but he seemed to have lost it after going to the ICL..I agree they didn't lock their spots on the team not being available for selection definitely did hurt them..only Aftab and Sn got chances and looked even worse then before..they could've battled for the spots still but now the new players have completely taken their spots..I have to agree with the part that we discovered better players because of them leaving..we have more consistent players in the fold..the biggest thing with them is that their way more consistent which is very important..
Old August 6, 2010, 09:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

one person that i miss who went away to play icl is dhiman ghosh.he could have been a good keeoer and perhaps a good finisher for us but after is beiman comments to the media...
Old August 13, 2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful♥Raqibul foreve

I would pick Shariar Nafees ahead of any players against minnows. the guy becomes bardman facing toothless bowlers
Old August 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
one person that i miss who went away to play icl is dhiman ghosh.he could have been a good keeoer and perhaps a good finisher for us but after is beiman comments to the media...
Or media just portrayed him like such - who knows.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:47 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Or media just portrayed him like such - who knows.
media didn't do anything i watched it live. beside coment or no coment he cant do ****. he was not that good batsman anyway. better keeper but so so batsman.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old August 14, 2010, 12:21 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:

You reap what you sow.
True. Allah knows the best if they deserved what they are getting.

But, I think they have been deprived by BCB after their return from ICL. Inclusion of these two could have been good for us. BCB, like many in BC, are more concerned about their characters than playing abilities.

I hope SN & AK will be back soon.
Old August 14, 2010, 01:19 AM
Cricket Legend

^^^SN must improve on his batting against pacers in order to make a comeback since we have a set and in form top order now.as for AK,i hope he finds his form in this season of domestic cricket,he can be a good finisher for us,something we lack now and desperately need
Old August 15, 2010, 05:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: SAKIB AL HASAN

মাঠে নামলেই রান করতাম, অথচ...
নোমান মোহাম্মদ

কত কত দিন আগের কথা! তবু কলম্বো বিমানবন্দরের ওই দুপুরটা আজও অলক কাপালির স্মৃতিপটে জ্বলছে মধ্যাহ্নের সূর্যের মতো। তারেক আজিজের ইনজুরির সুবাদে প্রথমবারের মতো ডাক পেলেন জাতীয় দলে। শ্রীলঙ্কায় উড়ে যাওয়ার পর ম্যানেজার মাহমুদুল হক মানু এলেন তাঁকে হোটেলে নিয়ে যেতে। খুব আন্তরিকতা নিয়ে জিজ্ঞেস করলেন, 'অলক, কখনো তো এ পর্যায়ে খেলিসনি। পারবি তো?' সদ্য ১৮ পেরোনো লাজুক চেহারার এ তরুণের প্রত্যুত্তরে দৃঢ়তা ছিল চমকে দেওয়ার মতো, 'নিশ্চয়ই পারব। এত দূর যখন এসেছি, বাকি পথটুকুও পাড়ি দিতে পারব।'
কথা রেখেছিলেন অলক। তিনি পেরেছিলেন। তাই তো অমন হীরন্ময় সব ইনিংস এসেছিল তাঁর ব্যাট থেকে। কিন্তু আট বছর আগে যাঁর অভিষেক, তাঁর নামের পাশে ১৭ টেস্টে মাত্র দুটি হাফ সেঞ্চুরি কিংবা ৬৫ ওয়ানডেতে এক শতক, পাঁচ অর্ধশতক বড্ড বেশি বেমানান। অলক তাই কথা রাখেননি! তিনি পারেননি! বাংলাদেশের ক্রিকেটাঙ্গনের বাতাসে কান পাতলেই তাই শোনা যায় দীর্ঘশ্বাস। কেন পারলেন না বাংলাদেশের ইতিহাসের সবচেয়ে স্টাইলিশ এ ব্যাটসম্যান?
প্রশ্নটি অনুক্ষণ তাড়িয়ে বেড়ায় অলক কাপালিকে। হাজারো চিন্তা করেও নিজের চেয়ে বেশি দোষ দেওয়ার কাউকে খুঁজে পান না। ক্রিজে গিয়ে তিনিই তো রান করতে পারছিলেন না। তবে সমান্তরালে হাহাকারের এক চোরাস্রোতও বয়ে যায় অলকের মনের গহিনে। মনে হয়, যেন অবিচারের শিকার হয়েছিলেন, 'আসলে আমার ক্যারিয়ারের শুরুটা হয়েছিল দারুণ। মহসিন কামাল, আলী জিয়ারা কোচ ছিলেন। প্রথমে পাইলট ভাই (খালেদ মাসুদ) পরে সুজন ভাই (খালেদ মাহমুদ) হলেন অধিনায়ক। তাঁরা সবাই আমাকে খুব নির্ভার হয়ে খেলতে দিয়েছিলেন। তখন কখনো মনে হয়নি, একাদশে থাকব না। কিন্তু সুজন ভাই অবসরে যাওয়ার পর মনে হলো, আমি যেন নিরঙ্কুশ সমর্থনটা হারিয়ে ফেললাম।' সেখান থেকে অলক হারিয়ে ফেললেন নিজেকে। ক্রিকেটারদের জীবনের অবধারিত চক্রে ব্যাড-প্যাচের পাকে পড়লেন। কিন্তু সেই পাক থেকে উঠে আসার জন্য সাহায্যের হাত বাড়িয়ে দিল না কেউ। না কোচ, না অধিনায়ক, না নির্বাচকরা। 'অথচ জানেন, ওই সময়টায়ই সমর্থনটা সবচেয়ে জরুরি ছিল। সেটি না পাওয়ায় নিজের মনের ওপর একধরনের চাপ পড়তে লাগল। তার প্রতিফলন মাঠে। যে আমি মাঠে নামলেই রান পেতাম, সেই আমি ভুলে গেলাম রান কিভাবে করা যায়'_প্রতি বাক্য, প্রতি শব্দ, প্রতি অক্ষরে ঝরে ঝরে পড়তে লাগল অলকের বোবা কান্না।
রান যে একেবারেই করছিলেন না, তা নয়। ধারাবাহিক ছিলেন না, এই যা। তবে প্রতি সিরিজেই অন্তত একটি-দুটি করে ইনিংস খেলছিলেন, যেখানে ছিল তাঁর সামর্থ্যের প্রতিফলন। যাতে মাঠের সবুজ গালিচায় আঁকিবুঁকি কাটত শিল্পীর তুলির পরশ। কিন্তু ওইটুকুতে সন্তুষ্ট হলে চলবে কেন! রান চাই, আরো রান! নির্বাচকদের খৰ তাই নেমে এল এ মিডল অর্ডার ব্যাটসম্যানের ওপর। "আমি শুধু ইংল্যান্ডের বিপক্ষে সিরিজে রান পাইনি। এরপরই শুনলাম আমার জায়গা নাকি নড়বড়ে। ২০০৪ সালে জিম্বাবুয়ের বিপক্ষে সিরিজের আগে কোচ ডেভ হোয়াটমোর ও অধিনায়ক সুমন ভাই (হাবিবুল বাশার) বললেন, ব্যাটিং অর্ডারের তিন থেকে আট নম্বরে কোনো জায়গা খালি নেই। আমাকে তাই ওপেন করতে হবে। আমি কখনো ওপেন করিনি। সুজন ভাই, পাইলট ভাইদের জিজ্ঞেস করলাম কী করব! বললেন, 'তোর যেহেতু জায়গা নেই, বসে থাকবি কেন? ওপেন কর। তবে বল যে যেন অন্তত পাঁচ ম্যাচ ওপেন করায়।' সেই আশ্বাস কোচ-অধিনায়ক আমাকে দিয়েছেন। বলেছেন টানা চার ম্যাচ শূন্য করলেও পঞ্চম ম্যাচে খেলানো হবে। কিন্তু সেটি হয়নি। দুই ম্যাচ পরই আমাকে আবার সাত-আট নম্বরে নামিয়ে দেওয়া হলো। আত্দবিশ্বাসটা আমার একেবারেই চলে গেল"_অলকের অকপট স্বীকারোক্তি।
তলানিতে ঠেকা আত্দবিশ্বাস পুনরুজ্জীবিত করে ফেরার প্রাণান্ত চেষ্টা করেছিলেন একবার। ২০০৭ বিশ্বকাপের প্রাথমিক স্কোয়াডে সুযোগ পেয়েছিলেন জাতীয় লিগের দুরন্ত পারফরম্যান্সে। কিন্তু প্র্যাকটিসে গিয়েই বুঝেছেন, চূড়ান্ত দলে আর থাকা হবে না। সে কথা বলতে গিয়ে আজও ব্যথায় কুঁকড়ে ওঠে অলকের মুখ, 'আমাকে নেটে সবার শেষে ব্যাটিং দেওয়া হয়েছে। এমনকি রাজ্জাক-রাসেলকেও আমার আগে ব্যাটিংয়ে পাঠানো হয়েছে। প্র্যাকটিস ম্যাচে নামানো হয়েছিল ৯ নম্বরে। আসলে প্রথম যেদিন প্র্যাকটিসে এলাম, সেদিনই বুঝেছিলাম, আমাকে শুধু নেওয়ার জন্য নেওয়া। এক নির্বাচককে আশরাফুল বলল, ও তো এবার পাঁচটি সেঞ্চুরি করেছে। উনি দেখি অবাক। 'তাই নাকি' বলে বেশ বিস্ময় প্রকাশ করলেন। আমার কথা হলো, যে নির্বাচক কমিটি আমাকে প্রাথমিক স্কোয়াডে ডেকেছে, তাদেরই একজন জানে না জাতীয় লিগে আমার পারফরম্যান্স। বুঝলাম, শুধু লোক দেখানোর জন্যই আমাকে ডাকা হয়েছে।'
প্রথম সফরে এনামুল হক মনি তাঁকে বলেছিলেন, আন্তর্জাতিক ক্রিকেট বড্ড কঠিন জায়গা। পরবর্তী সময়ে সেটি কী নিদারুণভাবেই না টের পেয়েছেন অলক! একটা সময় ড্রেসিং রুমে সতীর্থরা তাঁর ব্যাটিংয়ে মুগ্ধ হয়ে বলত, 'তুই তো ব্যাটিংয়ের স্যার'; তা ভেবে দীর্ঘশ্বাস চাপেন। তাঁর বিয়ের সময় যে এক দল ছেলে মাইল পাঁচেক পথ পাড়ি দিয়ে চলে এসেছিল শুধু চর্মচক্ষে তাঁকে দেখার জন্য_সেই স্মৃতি অলকের চোখ ভিজিয়ে দেয়। সমান্তরালে প্রতিজ্ঞায় শানিত হন। অপেক্ষায় থাকেন আর একটি সুযোগের, 'সত্যি বলছি, ভালো কিছু করতে না পারলে নিজ থেকেই সরে আসব। বিশ্বাস করুন, আমার ওপর আরেকবার বিশ্বাস রাখা যায়। আমি নিশ্চয়ই আবার আগের অলকে ফিরব।'
এই হচ্ছেন আজকের অলক। কলম্বোর বিমানবন্দরের টগবগে তরুণ এখন পরিণত যুবা। তবে এখনো স্বপ্ন তাঁর ছায়াসঙ্গী। বিশ্বাস তাঁর শ্বাস-প্রশ্বাসে। অলক কাপালি তাই পারবেন। তাঁকে পারতেই হবে। নইলে যে বাংলাদেশ ক্রিকেটের হাড় জিরজিরে শরীর থেকে এ হাহাকার খসে পড়ার নয়!
Old August 15, 2010, 05:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

What a crybaby. Mathe namley run korto? Maybe in domestic but not in International. After his brilliant debut he totally forgot how to bat & was dropped deservedly. Then after a long time just when he was making his place parmanent in the team he went to the crappy ICL for easy money. This journalist seems to have extra khatir with him.
Anyway shabbir vai, link please?
Old August 16, 2010, 04:11 AM
Cricket Legend

translation to the article please?or the basic jist of the article?
Old August 16, 2010, 05:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

This article is a piece of work.
Old August 17, 2010, 05:11 AM
Cricket Legend

awww,i feel so sad for poor alok
Old August 21, 2010, 11:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Wasn't alok picked to play in the A team (or some other representative side) in a warm up against england, but backed out citing a family bereavement?

It looks like he's been given a fair number of chances, but he lacks the hunger. i think the ICL has been a blessing in disguise for BD cricket. Kapali, aftab and Nafees may have been talented, but they lacked application and seemed to think they had a divine right to be in the side (well, Nafees seemed to have had that attitude at least).

At least the likes of Imrul, Johirul, zunaed etc are not afriad of some hard work.

They don't need to do anything extraordinary to get back into the mix; riyad, shamsur Rahman, Imrul and now Faisal Hossain all made it into BD squads by topping the domestic averages. If Alok, aftab and SN are the classy players they purport to be they should have no trouble being among the top 3 in the NCL batting averages.

Of the ICL'ers, only nazimuddin appears to have displayed any real hunger (albeit in A team games as opposed to NCL matches) and he's been rewarded by being shortlisted for the NZ ODI series.

The days of an easy ride are over, you now need to work hard to get into the national side. and that can be no bad thing...
Old August 21, 2010, 12:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Quote:

You reap what you sow.

They have no one but themselves to blame. Especially Alok was kicking off his career with that 100 against India.