facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 13, 2007, 01:28 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Should we worry about keeping of Mushfiqur Rahim?

Looking at the highlights of West Indies inings, looks like the Pakistani weeketkeeper played an important role taking 3 catches (2 of them were pretty tough) and one brilliant stamping. I am not too familiar with Mushfiq's keeping (he played as batsman in the games I have watched). I tend to remember hearing that he is attrocious as a keeper. Will we regret dropping Masud?

-- Pellu
Old March 13, 2007, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

i don't know what you found brilliant about the stumping... that's routine!! Our Masud is actually much quicker... I was comparing when watching it.

Their wicket keeper also missed a few run out chances... I think Mushfiq will be fine.. but Pilot is a better wk....that alone as you know will not do it anymore.... and not to speak of his characteristics that you hear about...(some of them has to be true, since they make the news)

ONe problem with mushfiq as a wk is that he is too short... that's potential for lot of by runs..
Old March 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
i don't know what you found brilliant about the stumping... that's routine!! Our Masud is actually much quicker... I was comparing when watching it.

Their wicket keeper also missed a few run out chances... I think Mushfiq will be fine.. but Pilot is a better wk....that alone as you know will not do it anymore.... and not to speak of his characteristics that you hear about...(some of them has to be true, since they make the news)

ONe problem with mushfiq as a wk is that he is too short... that's potential for lot of by runs..
When saw Akmal go airborn and take catches at the furthest of his reaches, I was thinking how in the world Mushfiq is going to jump that far (given how short he is)? In my mind, at this point, weeketkeeping is the weakest link in Bangladesh team. I am all for being patient with new players but I really don't want to feel that we ONLY lost to India/SriLanka because our weeket keeper dropped a few catches.

-- Pellu
Old March 13, 2007, 02:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellu
When saw Akmal go airborn and take catches at the furthest of his reaches, I was thinking how in the world Mushfiq is going to jump that far (given how short he is)? In my mind, at this point, weeketkeeping is the weakest link in Bangladesh team. I am all for being patient with new players but I really don't want to feel that we ONLY lost to India/SriLanka because our weeket keeper dropped a few catches.

-- Pellu
Don't worry other will drop catches too...

Besides indian's will be all bowled so no chance for catches or stumping...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old March 13, 2007, 02:47 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Don't worry other will drop catches too...

Besides indian's will be all bowled so no chance for catches or stumping...
lbws and runout on the bowlers side.
Old March 13, 2007, 03:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Don't worry about Rahim. He is cat quick and very intelligent. I searched for an observation I had on Rahim against Kenya. Here it is:
http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...t=18120&page=2
Mushfiq is much quicker than Pilot. I loved it when in one motion he jumped up, caught the ball, and while on the air, he swiped his hand with the ball at the wicket and saw Chigambura's back foot was in the crease and somehow managed to stop himself from hitting the wicket. And then he came back to the ground. Amazing quick thinking and reflex. You can't teach that. My jaw dropped and he made me an instant fan right there.
Old March 13, 2007, 08:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellu

-- Pellu
We have to bat well and bowl superbly before we can attribute anything to the wicket keeper. I would rather not be a paranoid. Mushfiq is young and talented. He will serve us well as a batsman/wicketkeeper. Remember, R. Dravid also served as a wicket keeper not so long ago, when everyone knew including himself that he was not the best (also he didn't feel like enjoying doing it, which mushfiq does).
Old March 13, 2007, 09:08 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus

He's not too short. Does anyone remember romesh kaluwitharana?
Old March 13, 2007, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

All new players need some time to settle down, and I think Mushfiq should be allowed the same luxury. I also think he will do fine - missing a catch or two once in a while is part of the game.
Old March 13, 2007, 05:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

I've watched Rahim playing against zimbabwe and scotland..trust me...He is quick..he is nifty..height barely matters and he can score quick runs. Inspite of being a 'kid' he has shots..and power behind them. So im hoping good cricket from him..and our backup keepeer 'Rajin'? well i will always suggest Rahim over Rajin as wkeeper/batsman unless its a test match.
Old March 14, 2007, 06:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

World Cup is a Different Thing. We have to Wait for Mushfiqur rahim that Whether He can take the Preasure of WC. Hope He Can. Atleast Our Selectors Thought He Can. We Can Just Wish for Him.
Old March 14, 2007, 09:19 AM
Cricket Sage

Its too late to second guess Mushfiq's wickte keeping ability. He have shown flashes here and there that he can be a very capable ODI wicketkeeper. Lets hope he shines.

btw I think we have other weakness in the team rathar than wicktekeeping. But again... its too late to be concerned.
Old March 14, 2007, 09:46 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
btw I think we have other weakness in the team rathar than wicktekeeping. But again... its too late to be concerned.
Yup!

We still do not have a 3rd seamer. which is my main concern. Regardless of how good Rafique and Razzak did in practice matches, they are yet to face the best spin playing team. Now, look at the game yesterday. WI kept using their seamers and that actually tackled Pakistan. Shahadat/Taposh both has proven to be useless for this WC. Other than that I am happy with the way things are going.

My another big concern was Tamim as I had not seem him doing anything. But he did show some hope in practice matches.
Old March 14, 2007, 10:14 AM
ODI Cricketer

I'm least concern about wicket keeping part.
I'm not at all worried about the height of the wicket keeper and that's never a matter to be concerened. For pace bowlers, you need height. The height issue is something made up by Pilot fans.

Let me tell you with examples. How short is Mushfiq than a six feeter (forget about Pilot)? Probably 7 inches. How long a person needs to jump 7 inches? probably 2 seconds. So, Mushfiq needs to jump 2 seconds earlier than a six feeter to catch right/left most distanced ball. This jumping early is a matter of someone's reflex and promptness. Therefore there's nothing to worry about wicket keeper's height if he's prompt and his response time is less.

Now if you think about 'Can he jump those extra seven inches' ? This is another issue totally depending on his sporting nature, practice and build up of muscle.

Now my final question to you, Mushfiq scored a 23 ball 19 in our warm-up match again NZ. Pilot would take 40 balls to score that 19. Do you think we could win that match had there been Pilot instead of Mushfiq, considering our latest requirement of 12 runs in 11 balls?