facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 26, 2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Just because I am saying that we should not have played the likes of Zims, Bermuda or Canada SO MUCH does not make me a minnow basher. Bangladesh is at a delicate stage right now - a lot of pressure to do well. For us, to slip is very easy, and that will always provide our detractors with more ammo. India can play Bermuda 100 times over, and still remain the vaunted team it is. But that does not work for teams like us - just yet.

The game against Bermuda - it really didn't prove anything new. It again confirmed that our 5th bowler is weak. Tapash is just too 1-dimensional, and any erratic line (which he will have due to lack of international match practice) will not be spared. I am thinking more of the 87 or so run game he once had. Rassel will only play in a seamer's heaven (Is T&T one?). Let us just hope that our 1st 4 bowlers give all the best, and our 5th bowler combo (Aftab, Ash, Saqib) hold the fort. Unless Saqib gets unlucky, we will do ok. I just hope his inexperience doesn't get him from being banged almighty.

With the batsmen, I will come back with comments after the NZ game.

Good luck. Even bermuda, and certainly India and SriLanka.

Old February 26, 2007, 06:22 PM
Club Cricketer

Well Bashar probably had ideas to leak some runs in so his batsmen can get some time in the middle, have you ever thought of that. I really dont know why you guys are upset this was a match that Bangladesh won convincingly. Given the fact that we had 2 main strike bowlers on the sideline and restricted them to 200+ was a good effort. Apart from Tapash who didnt bowl well and if he did do so (just say he took 2/30) we would have restricted them for 160 to 170. If we did bowl them out for 150 we wouldnt have had time for our batsmen in the middle and there would be no nafees century or sakibs well made 40+. This gave our 2 most important batsmen confidence knowing that they are going in WC with runs on their names. Quit looking at negatives this is a solid victory. Not to mention it was a placid pitch with nothing for the bowlers and I did read this information from an article.
Tamim is a new player and i think we should try him out for the Canda match and the warm up mathces, if he does fail we can go Saleh. There is no need for Omar as he wastes balls and creates pressure on the other end and also not to mention he is not technically sound.
For bowlers we cant take the chance by taking in tapash for India and Srilanka matches. He has no swing or variation what so ever and well get moulded, I mean comon he got hammered by Bermuda lol. Shadat is a good fast young bowler but lacks exprience as it is with all youths. He to me is just a raw fast bowler and still got a bit of swing but lacks variation (atleast he has pace and a bit of swing unlike Tapash). We need to give Shadat a go in the remaining match with Canda and the warm up matches and see his form, mind you he needs be at his top form becuase the West Indies wickets are quite slow and even bowler like Brett Lee, Andrew Nel and Shoib Aktar has being smashed around the park. If he does lack in his game then we can always settle for Rasel, his left arm medium pace is very depandable not to that fact that he is economical.
Old February 26, 2007, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
that was the first time that i really started following cricket. all i knew was that BD had beaten scotland and Pak the WC before, and were now a test nation. i expected us to thrash CAN simply because i didn't know how much we sucked.

i didn't know that you were kinda expecting an upset back then. if so, then u were a lot smarter than most fans.
well back then we had a very indisciplined team. shot selection was an unknown feature, and we were regularly getting thrashed by the test teams. our top order would quikcly fall to 40-4 or 70-5 or something of that sort, and then KM would lead the tail-enders to take the score to 160, and occassionally 190. this would happen in EVERY match - one could've taken it for granted. we were still incapable of beating kenya. we had batsmen like Al Shahriar, who wouldn't know better than swinging the bat at everything. in fact all the batsmen were so out of form that they would try to hit their way back in, and this went on for years. combinations came and went, and nothing worked. test status came too early, and was more of a burden than anything else.

under such circumstances, i don't see how someone would've expected us to win. the truth is, we were in fact worse than canada in 2003, and even if we did beat them, there was no way we were going to beat kenya. although the match against canada is labelled as one of the biggest upsets in world cup history, it really wasn't. we'd been given test status too early, and if we had to play in the icc trophy back then, i'm sure we wouldn't have made it - because that's just how bad we were. sure, we beat pakistan and scotland, but the quality of cricket had been terrible since then. we did not know how to win. we did not know how to chase. neither did we have any clue as to how to rotate the strike/build up an inning.

even after the world cup, we went on to lose to scotland (or was it ireland?), and managed to pull off a win at the last moment in one of the games. we struggled to whitewash namibia - beating them by narrow margins in pretty much all three games. the only reasons we had the test status were strong lobbying, support from Dalmiah, and interest among fans. heck, even the infrastructure wasn't all that great, barring a new stadium with decent facilities (that too shared with soccer).

however, our cricket has come quite a way since, and even though we are still very unpredictable as well as vulnerable, we've beaten some decent sides over the last couple of years. this bunch has been playing together for the last year or so, and playing minnows has taught us how to deal with them and exert our superiority on them. we are officially number 9 now, and truly deserve the test status more than any of the other countries below us in the rankings. if we lose to canada day after tomorrow, i wouldn't mind labelling that as an upset this time.
Old February 26, 2007, 08:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
To add the qualifier, I will say Bermuda is probably the weakest team in this decade to appear in the world cup. The rationale is simple,,, their average age of players are over 30, their fitness level has been questionable throughout, they can barely win against even Nepal. Again,, this prejudicial truth is for Bermuda. I will never underestimate Kenya, Scottland, Ireland or even Canada. Albeit, they are playing for their country and has the passion. There was a time where Bangladesh was also amongst them. However, what makes Bermuda special is that they never took Cricket the same level as Bangladesh did. This is an assertion of their very own ex-captain. On my secret mission,,, as a Bangladeshi, I would like to see we bowl out a team in less than 100 runs. Winning by 8 wickets or 10 is a joy for the batters but for bowlers bowling out a team within 100 runs is a special joy. I want to experience that....
At least Bermuda is better than Canada in the sense they don't play with players from another country.
Old February 26, 2007, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketboy
At least Bermuda is better than Canada in the sense they don't play with players from another country.
well you can't really say they're from other countries. canada's quite multi-cultural, in fact parts of it are more multi-cultural than anywhere in the United States. these people feel more at home in Canada than anywhere else, because this is where they were born and/or brought up.

then again, you might have a point if davison and the two new zealanders are actually immigrants who landed at a mature age.
Old February 26, 2007, 10:14 PM
Test Cricketer

This is a true picture of this nation. Always criticising about anything . For me, its just an expected win. The match was anything but close. So, why bother Bro??..

I agree with Ian. Calling a cricketing country as the weekest like u mentioned... does not sound good to me. I would rather concentrate on our team. The boys did well what they were supposed to do.

About Taposh, I never felt that he is an international class player.. So, its not surprising that he even got hammerd againt Barmuda. The good things is, he wont be getting the chance to play in the Eleven in the WC, unless, some serious misfortune happens.

Last edited by Ejaj; February 27, 2007 at 12:46 AM..
Old February 26, 2007, 10:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejaj
About Taposh, I never felt that he is an international class player.. So, its not surprosing that he even got hammerd againt Barmuda. The good things is, he wont be getting the chance to play in the Eleven in the WC, unless, some serious misfortune happens.
Why would the selectors even pick him on the team? Even if a major injury does happen, i would rather feel comfortable with the insertion of Mehrab jr as a bowler.

God, if you take a look at the shapes of these players for Bermuda, it is really disgusting to know Taposh got hit by them!
Old February 27, 2007, 12:54 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizvi
Why would the selectors even pick him on the team? Even if a major injury does happen, i would rather feel comfortable with the insertion of Mehrab jr as a bowler.

God, if you take a look at the shapes of these players for Bermuda, it is really disgusting to know Taposh got hit by them!
No offence intended against Taposh. He served well before. But, to me atleast, he doesnt suit in the bowling quallity of Bangladesh. Some newer player should have been tried. But, again, the selectors knows much better than me and they chose him in the 15. So, I can only hope that Mash/Rasel/Rajibb doesnt get injured in the WC.
Old February 27, 2007, 03:34 AM
Cricket Legend

mehrab jnr is much more dependable than tapash as a bowler and i completely agree with rizvi.mashrafe n shahadat is really a good combination and they can serve well for bangladesh against strong teams.we already got some evidence of their effectiveness against the aussies.they both troubled the aussie batsmen together.
Old February 27, 2007, 10:23 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
well back then we had a very indisciplined team. shot selection was an unknown feature, and we were regularly getting thrashed by the test teams. our top order would quikcly fall to 40-4 or 70-5 or something of that sort, and then KM would lead the tail-enders to take the score to 160, and occassionally 190. this would happen in EVERY match - one could've taken it for granted. we were still incapable of beating kenya. we had batsmen like Al Shahriar, who wouldn't know better than swinging the bat at everything. in fact all the batsmen were so out of form that they would try to hit their way back in, and this went on for years. combinations came and went, and nothing worked. test status came too early, and was more of a burden than anything else.

under such circumstances, i don't see how someone would've expected us to win. the truth is, we were in fact worse than canada in 2003, and even if we did beat them, there was no way we were going to beat kenya. although the match against canada is labelled as one of the biggest upsets in world cup history, it really wasn't. we'd been given test status too early, and if we had to play in the icc trophy back then, i'm sure we wouldn't have made it - because that's just how bad we were. sure, we beat pakistan and scotland, but the quality of cricket had been terrible since then. we did not know how to win. we did not know how to chase. neither did we have any clue as to how to rotate the strike/build up an inning.

even after the world cup, we went on to lose to scotland (or was it ireland?), and managed to pull off a win at the last moment in one of the games. we struggled to whitewash namibia - beating them by narrow margins in pretty much all three games. the only reasons we had the test status were strong lobbying, support from Dalmiah, and interest among fans. heck, even the infrastructure wasn't all that great, barring a new stadium with decent facilities (that too shared with soccer).

however, our cricket has come quite a way since, and even though we are still very unpredictable as well as vulnerable, we've beaten some decent sides over the last couple of years. this bunch has been playing together for the last year or so, and playing minnows has taught us how to deal with them and exert our superiority on them. we are officially number 9 now, and truly deserve the test status more than any of the other countries below us in the rankings. if we lose to canada day after tomorrow, i wouldn't mind labelling that as an upset this time.
yea well stated, i agree. that loss to canada was NOT really an upset. tho i think we would have qualified if we played ICC trophy for 03 WC. 99% sure.

but our recent improvements over the last 4 years is probably more than ANY team could have managed, and thus i feel BD should get that credit at least.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 27, 2007, 10:54 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS

Quote:
yea well stated, i agree. that loss to canada was NOT really an upset. tho i think we would have qualified if we played ICC trophy for 03 WC. 99% sure.

but our recent improvements over the last 4 years is probably more than ANY team could have managed, and thus i feel BD should get that credit at least.
ya, i agree with you!!!
Old February 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
everyone out there can follow live radio commentry of every matches played at antigua in this tri series.here is the link: http://www.surfmusic.de/country/antigua.html enjoy !!!
thnx.
Junior
Old February 27, 2007, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
definitely. i'm quite satisfied with the way things have been going, however, i think it will take us some time to be able to beat the big boys on a regular basis. but i'm happy that we've finally cemented (officially) our position as the 9th best in the world.

now here comes the big test.
Old February 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

ATMR,
if I may add:

As you have mentioned the test status was given too early, in the same tune old players were chopped too early. Experienced players like Akram, Bulbul, Nannu weren't in the team. Chacha didn't play the first few matches. The lineup changed in every game. This speaks more about the coach and the selectors than anything.

Currently some of the players have experience against top teams and playing away series. Ash, Bahsar, Rafiq, Mash, Aftab, SNafis and Rasel. Those who don't have the experience have superior technic and understanding of the game than the ones played in 2003. Sakib, Mushiq, Tamim, Shahadat.
Old February 27, 2007, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

even though its a slow start, in the end the result looks satisfying, win by 8 wkts. but giving away 200+ to bermuda is really unacceptable. here is what i think about some players:

tamim: this boy needs to middle the ball for a couple of overs, simply feeling the ball with the middle of the bat increase confidence. he had enough time to do that against bermuda. even guys like jayasuriya who is a pinch hitter per excellence, consume some deliveries to understand the pitch and bowlers. i dont know what his instructions are but somebody needs to tell him this.

SN:reliable, lets see if he can take his minnow bashing to the next level against stronger teams.

Aftab: I think he will settle down, he reminds me of Aravinda DeSilva who was called "mad max" because he just used to keep hitting, but then later on settle down , realized his potential and played some important innings and help Sl win 96WC.

Taposh: why take him in the team? with him and JO , Bd is really 13 man squad. every time he runs in I feel he will give a boundary away, so erratic. he is no where near express and should just concentrate on line-length which should be his motto anyway as a first change bowler(if he is selected!)

Ashraful: give this guy some practice!! trust me he is better than number 7
Old February 27, 2007, 10:12 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

i think they did a wonderful job on the game and im just concerned about tamim iqbal. Maybe we whould just put rajin back to his position? I hope mashrafe's back pain wont cause him to miss the match against canada, because we need to keep him fit and make him taste canadian blood.
Old February 27, 2007, 10:32 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunIAD
Well Bashar probably had ideas to leak some runs in so his batsmen can get some time in the middle, have you ever thought of that. I really dont know why you guys are upset this was a match that Bangladesh won convincingly. Given the fact that we had 2 main strike bowlers on the sideline and restricted them to 200+ was a good effort. Apart from Tapash who didnt bowl well and if he did do so (just say he took 2/30) we would have restricted them for 160 to 170. If we did bowl them out for 150 we wouldnt have had time for our batsmen in the middle and there would be no nafees century or sakibs well made 40+. This gave our 2 most important batsmen confidence knowing that they are going in WC with runs on their names. Quit looking at negatives this is a solid victory. Not to mention it was a placid pitch with nothing for the bowlers and I did read this information from an article.
Tamim is a new player and i think we should try him out for the Canda match and the warm up mathces, if he does fail we can go Saleh. There is no need for Omar as he wastes balls and creates pressure on the other end and also not to mention he is not technically sound.
For bowlers we cant take the chance by taking in tapash for India and Srilanka matches. He has no swing or variation what so ever and well get moulded, I mean comon he got hammered by Bermuda lol. Shadat is a good fast young bowler but lacks exprience as it is with all youths. He to me is just a raw fast bowler and still got a bit of swing but lacks variation (atleast he has pace and a bit of swing unlike Tapash). We need to give Shadat a go in the remaining match with Canda and the warm up matches and see his form, mind you he needs be at his top form becuase the West Indies wickets are quite slow and even bowler like Brett Lee, Andrew Nel and Shoib Aktar has being smashed around the park. If he does lack in his game then we can always settle for Rasel, his left arm medium pace is very depandable not to that fact that he is economical.
First, this is a One Day International and that is the reason why SN enjoys his century so much, there was no reason to "leak" runs to Bermuda.
Second, there is no question of seeing the form of Shadat, we have already seen him and he is our 2nd bowler after Mashrafee. Unfortunately, we don't have too many choices in this world cup lineup and we are in great danger if we lose either of them due to injury.
Old February 27, 2007, 11:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Did anybody here about the Earthquake in Antigua??? Didnt want to open another thread as no injuries have been reported.....
Old February 28, 2007, 12:16 AM
Club Cricketer

Well whatever is the case if Bashar did or did not leak in the runs for them to get 208 i think it was a good effort from Bangladesh bowlers. Given the nature of the pitch it was a flat one and it didnt assist neither our pace or spin attack. No turn or swing what so ever. When it comes to Shadat he is a guinine fast bowler with pace and agression this is required if we are to trouble Srilanka and India, I belive Rassel lacks penetration even if thoug he is accurate and economical. We have the spinners to check the runs and it wont do us no good if we have rassel doing the same. I say create a balance and instead having mortaza to attack always. Shadat could do well with his aggressive attidue. But perhaps i am not entirely right since this is world cup and no experiments should be made. Lets see what the selectors come up with they no best.
Old February 28, 2007, 01:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
Taposh: why take him in the team? with him and JO , Bd is really 13 man squad. every time he runs in I feel he will give a boundary away, so erratic. he is no where near express and should just concentrate on line-length which should be his motto anyway as a first change bowler(if he is selected!)
You forgot why we take him ? Don't forget the wickets he got in Sophia Garden against the Aussies . Specially the wicket of Ricky Ponting , that was something special .

Ofcourse that played big part in our win in that match . I hope it's clear now .
Old February 28, 2007, 02:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD4eva
Did anybody here about the Earthquake in Antigua??? Didnt want to open another thread as no injuries have been reported.....
yes,i read about it at cricinfo.
Junior
Old February 28, 2007, 02:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outswinger
You forgot why we take him ? Don't forget the wickets he got in Sophia Garden against the Aussies . Specially the wicket of Ricky Ponting , that was something special .

Ofcourse that played big part in our win in that match . I hope it's clear now .
i dont think Taposh was taken for that performance, rather he was taken since there was no impressive alternatives available, so selectors played safe and took experienced Taposh. Also his batting ability played a role here.