facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Hasina and Khaleda

Why the heck these two women been running(ruining) this country for last 25/30 years? For as long as I can remember only these two have been in power. Is there no suitable person in this country? Most people that I have asked in Bangladesh dislikes them yet they win every time, why?
Old March 23, 2012, 09:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKBoss
Why the heck these two women been running(ruining) this country for last 25/30 years? For as long as I can remember only these two have been in power. Is there no suitable person in this country? Most people that I have asked in Bangladesh dislikes them yet they win every time, why?
Because the same two-faced idiots who tell you that they hate Hasina and Khaleda vote for...wait for it...Hasina and Khaleda.
Old March 24, 2012, 08:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Well, I did float the idea of a Banglacricket party as a third party alternative (given examples like the Pirate Party in Europe), but the better half has forbidden me from indulging in politics.
Old March 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

i would take HoMo over these two khallama's anyday
Old March 24, 2012, 01:04 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
i would take HoMo over these two khallama's anyday
Really? I'd never be for a latin-american style dictator. Nur Hossain-er jonno mara jai nai. I would say it's better not to have either of the three.
Old March 24, 2012, 01:07 PM
BC Editorial Team

As an aside, could any BC member direct me to any well-researched books or long articles - in Bangla or in English - about Zia's time in power or Ershad's reign. There are fair few books on Sheikh Mujib but I think these two have received relatively scant attention and scrutiny. In particular, I'd love to read more about Ershad's policies and the student and popular movements of the '80s against him.
Old March 24, 2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
As an aside, could any BC member direct me to any well-researched books or long articles - in Bangla or in English - about Zia's time in power or Ershad's reign. There are fair few books on Sheikh Mujib but I think these two have received relatively scant attention and scrutiny. In particular, I'd love to read more about Ershad's policies and the student and popular movements of the '80s against him.
Bangladesh: Reflections on the water by James Novak for a more contemporary analysis

Also google Jyoti Rahman's blog writeup on Zias legacy. will give links when I get home later.
Old March 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Bangladesh: Reflections on the water by James Novak for a more contemporary analysis

Also google Jyoti Rahman's blog writeup on Zias legacy. will give links when I get home later.
Wow, ammark, thanks a lot! I just ordered Novak's book of Amazon and it looks fascinating. I love books that blend history with literature and I think it's remarkably appropriate for a country like ours. I eagerly look forward to reading it (though I am disappointed that I didn't come across it sooner as I went through dozens of books on Bangladesh and the subcontinent while researching for my dissertation in Bangladesh, Germany, India and the UK.)

I'll look up Jyoti Rahman's blog as well. In addition to Zia's era, I'm really quite curious about Ershad's era. Everyone has heard about the corruption, his 'harem', the student protests and the building of some infrastructure but I'd like to know more. (I also know that he tried to decentralize the high court and that was met with extreme opposition by the lawyers - thus leading to the 8th amendment case) Look forward to seeing the links.

Btw, if you're interested, I'd really recommend reading the 5th Amendment and 8th Amendment cases of the BD Supreme Court. It's half legalese and half judicial story telling as the judges recount their version of Bangladesh's history. It's actually really interesting and it's easily available online. Also, if you have JSTOR, i'd recommend reading one of the first academic articles written on Bangladesh's Constitution - "Constitution Making in Bangladesh" by Abul Fazl Haq published in Pacific Affairs in Spring 1973. (If you don't have access to it, I'll happily send it/link it)
Old March 26, 2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I'll look up Jyoti Rahman's blog as well.
Part 1 of Two part series: http://jrahman.wordpress.com/2011/05...s-30-years-on/

Part 2: http://jrahman.wordpress.com/2012/01...omy/#more-2032

Quote:
In addition to Zia's era, I'm really quite curious about Ershad's era. Everyone has heard about the corruption, his 'harem', the student protests and the building of some infrastructure but I'd like to know more.
A bit about Ershad: http://jrahman.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/whos-the-best/

and this: http://jrahman.wordpress.com/2012/03...-a-generation/
Old March 25, 2012, 01:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark

I am going to go searching for that book!
Old March 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

i would rather have sarah palin in place of these two idiotic women.. she cant do any worse
Old March 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
i would rather have sarah palin in place of these two idiotic women.. she cant do any worse
you betcha!
Old March 24, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Yeah Sarah Palin and Nijami would make a good team ;-)
Old March 25, 2012, 12:24 AM

Navo,

It's a good book to have if you like having a collection. By contemporary I meant that it was published just when 1st BNP govt came to power, and thus had a contemporary view of Mujib Zia and Ershad as the author was in BD throughout then. I personally got it off my uni library back in the day to read it. If I recall correctly it had a good account on Ershad that would be pertinent to your specific query.

Given a lot of historical revisionism that's been going on in the desh since the mid 90s, Novak's account might not be the most appetising in this day.
Old March 25, 2012, 01:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Hahahahahaha....BC te Kaaney Dhouira Uth Bosher Babostha Kora Uchit ASAP Heheheheheh!!!