facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old February 27, 2007, 09:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Whoever comparing Sakib with Rana doesn't have a clue about batting. There is no point wasting time to argue about it in the first place.

Old February 27, 2007, 09:49 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

There is no point comparing two different player simply because both are lefty and all rounder.

Some of the members are undermining Sakib and some Rana.

IMO, both deserve to be in the national squad. Sakib is doing excellent job.
On the other hand, Rana is the leading NCL run scorer and he was always good with ball in ODI. He does not have the blessings of the selectors and that's why he is sitting out. After Rafiq's retirement from ODI, Rana should be recalled.
Old February 27, 2007, 09:49 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

What I don't understand is, why did comparing Shakib with Rana became a crime?

For crying aloud: Rana has a quality that I can only wish the other team members had. Who else has shown that kind of fighting spirit and determination? Everyone will agree that Rana lacks technique and his batting style sucks. Still he is successful. What make him do that? Yes, none other than hard work and determination. Now, only imagine what could happen if some talented suckers like Ash had that quality.

Rana is/was/will score consistently extending his limit and more than more than all the rana bashers like. I mean show me another allrounder in Bangladesh who is better than Rana? We would have been a much better side if he was in the team instead of JO.
Old February 27, 2007, 10:00 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
What I don't understand is, why did comparing Shakib with Rana became a crime?

For crying aloud: Rana has a quality that I can only wish the other team members had. Who else has shown that kind of fighting spirit and determination? Everyone will agree that Rana lacks technique and his batting style sucks. Still he is successful. What make him do that? Yes, none other than hard work and determination. Now, only imagine what could happen if some talented suckers like Ash had that quality.

Rana is/was/will score consistently extending his limit and more than more than all the rana bashers like. I mean show me another allrounder in Bangladesh who is better than Rana? We would have been a much better side if he was in the team instead of JO.
not really, rana would function as a 3rd spinner and thats it. still i would favor him over JO, but rana wouldn't ever get into the team over rafiq and razzak.

plus as a batsman, rana's healthy average is off-set by his "even worse than JO" strike rate. the guy can't even score 1 run off 2 balls.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 27, 2007, 10:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
I mean show me another allrounder in Bangladesh who is better than Rana?
Sakib? Look, who would I rather have Rana or Jo? I say Rana. I don't hate Rana but there is no point comparing Sakib with Rana and thats where I objected. Sakib is in a different league than Rana and there is no point comparing them.
Old February 27, 2007, 11:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Time pass korar jonno faltu comparing... just wait till tomorrow for Can vs BD match.
I personally feel Saqib is our version of Dravid. (Am I making a big statement? well, too bad, but I think this kid has what it takes) I don't wanna demoralize Rana, all I would say, I think selectors did pretty good job except picking JO.
Old February 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The players who lack ability and natural talent and compensate with sheer determination are always good for Tests. Example: Rajin and Rana. But for ODIs strike rate is so important now that these players can't be included in the team.

Comparing these players with Sakib who have the talent and the determination + can strike the ball at much higher rate is not wise. His place and position is secured in the team for the time being.

Rana getting a node for the national team would have to replace someone. Who? Razzak no. Rafiq no. That leaves the so called 'pure batsman' on the chopping block. 'jodi laiga jai' factor takes over and free ride continues. Even I would put him in the playing 11 for the Indian game.

To accomodate Ash, changing line up is narrow minded thinking. Why put resources into someting that is not broken and where other things are not working? That would put a player above the team which can not be good. International players should be able to adopt their roles as given by the coaches. The coaches know each players ability/form and the teams need more than we do from the outside.
Old February 27, 2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Sakib? Look, who would I rather have Rana or Jo? I say Rana. I don't hate Rana but there is no point comparing Sakib with Rana and thats where I objected. Sakib is in a different league than Rana and there is no point comparing them.
Is skakib's bowling up to the quality of Rana's? But it would be really stupid to replace shakib with rana because of Shakib's batting ability. I'd say Shakib is a batsman who can bowl a little, not an all rounder, so I won't compare the two.
Old February 27, 2007, 02:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

damn. we shud have a thread "Sakib Vs. Rana"
Old February 27, 2007, 04:26 PM
Cricket Legend

with respect for rana,i must say he has done alot for bd cricket ...he is still a good all-rounder in bangladesh compare to other domestic all-rounders...but personally i think sakib is a better bowler than rana and he has alot of time to improve his bowling and im sure he will...rana is also a very good bowler and he has got a decent record as a bowler in intl. level...well thats my personal thoughts and it might not match with others...everyone has some own views and we should express it...but right now we should not go for any kind of comparison or arguments as the situation is not suitable for it...i should also mention that Rana is mainly a bowler and Sakib is mainly a batsman so no more arguments and debates.

Last edited by hoodlum; February 27, 2007 at 05:28 PM..
Old February 27, 2007, 05:46 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Thanks god Sakib is a Rana Jr. and not another Ash Jr. Otherwise we would see another dead wood in the team flirting with a ODI average of below 20 rather than his current average which is 44.
If Rana jnr. can average 120% more than Rana, then Ash jnr. would probably do the same (which means 43 avg.). Plus he would make be major contributor in twice number of big victories compared to Ashraful.

We need to find Ash jnr
Old February 27, 2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
plus as a batsman, rana's healthy average is off-set by his "even worse than JO" strike rate. the guy can't even score 1 run off 2 balls.
Rana's strike rate has a lot to do with at what situation he batted. For most part of his career he was not taken as a batsman and batted down the order. Still, he had plenty of opportunity to bat. Why, because of the collapse of top and middle order. He had to do the repair works in those cases. Unfortunately for him, he did not play for his strike rate in those cases, but digged in to repair the score. Need I mention he has the 2nd best average when opened for bangladesh, and has the 4th best test average among all players?
Old February 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

spitty,
i just failed to understand your logic. You start a war for non-performing JO, but always defending another non performer Ash. And you do not miss a chance to bash Sakib or Rana. Both of whom are actually performed. Rana's performance is far better than the free rider Ash in the series they played together. Same goes for Sakib. I am now actually disappointed that selectors went for two free rider in the team (Tamim and Ash), in the hope that they are socalled 'match winner' if clicked. I do not see they would click in near future. If we win againest the big boy it would be due to SN, Sakib, HB and Aftab's contribution in bat and Mash and Rajjak to bowl.
Old February 27, 2007, 10:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

guys wheres the thread for the 2nd match...??
Old February 27, 2007, 10:38 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

its just amazing to see how people dont understand characteristics of quality batsmen. many of you complain about how Nafees scored century only against the minnows, and yes that is very very true, but you also gotta look at the fact that our other batsmen had the chance to play these minnows and failed not orly get a century but also to perform ( mainly talking about ashraful) either way im saying our two left handed batsmen starting with S are the best dependable batsmen we got, no offense but i doubt aftab still has matured enough to be that consistent or will ever be that matured. I predict another century from Nafees at tomorrow's game.
Old February 28, 2007, 02:09 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
spitty,
i just failed to understand your logic. You start a war for non-performing JO, but always defending another non performer Ash. And you do not miss a chance to bash Sakib or Rana. Both of whom are actually performed. Rana's performance is far better than the free rider Ash in the series they played together. Same goes for Sakib. I am now actually disappointed that selectors went for two free rider in the team (Tamim and Ash), in the hope that they are socalled 'match winner' if clicked. I do not see they would click in near future. If we win againest the big boy it would be due to SN, Sakib, HB and Aftab's contribution in bat and Mash and Rajjak to bowl.
Why I support Ash? This thread may explain
and for the fact that there's no reasonable replacement for him. When we find someone more consistent who can play equally well, you won't have to tell me to stop supporting him.

Ash is not being a free rider. Bashar has rarely done well in the ODIs, yet we need him for this tournament.