facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 1, 2011, 10:53 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by munnabhai
Firstly, I would like to thank Zunaid for giving us the opportunity to have a direct interaction with our bowling coach. Appreciate your work, Boss.

Dear Coach,
It's a pleasure having you here among us. We have all been huge fans of you ever since you joined our Tigers crew. I hope you are enjoying your stay. It's really an honor to have you in our National Camp. Here are my questions:

1) Did you come across any potential bowlers in our domestic or national team who can bowl at 140kph+ consistently and swing the ball too?

2) How do you rate our pace attack of Rubel/Shaf/Nazmul? I believe we will be playing with 2 in the starting squad, who are our first choices?

3) Lastly, just like everyone else, I am eager to know about the butterfly ball, which bowler has perfected the butterfly bowler as of now?

Thank You once again for finding time out of your busy schedule and answering our questions
I do not watch any domestic cricket so rely on training camps to see bowlers at national level. There are are a few outside of the current squad who impress me but need help. I strongly believe that if I could do local coaching camps for coaches and players, we would see many more 140 kph bowlers in BD.

I do not select the teams or the squad. My role is to prepare each bowler equally so any of them can step into the WC and be winners. Any combination of those 3 bowlers will be great so it just depends on the opposition as to who we play.

No one has perfected it yet but both Shafiul and Rubel have been trying it. Nasmul has such a great slower ball already but I might want him to bowl something else besides the butterfly. My aim is to have the butterfly ready for the WC, but whether the bowlers feel confident enough to try it is another thing!

Old February 1, 2011, 10:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Coach,

Do 'slingers' generate more pace than 'normal' bowlers? Are there any upcoming prospective bowlers like Rubel?

And thank you for making the time to talk to us. We are thrilled to have you here.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 1, 2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup11
Welcome to BC IAN

1. Do you have any long term plan for making fast bowling all-rounders for BD as we currently got none in our present squad?
2. What happened to your attempt to make Junaid & Zahurul Fast bowlers?
3. Usually we see quicks from other countries are very strong and capable of big hit comming down lower in batting order, So far we only saw Mash doing that, why we don't see similar from Shafiul & Rubel? I am sure they are strong enough as they can bowl over 140k, do they need some training to convert their power to biggies?
4. What advice will you give to Rubel & Mash to keep themselves free from future injuries?
1. We have Dolar Mahmud who I see as a potential fast bowling all rounder. He is about the only one I have seen who COULD do the job if he works hard. But he has to want to do it.

2. Those guys are 100% focused on their bating right now and we just haven't had the time to develop them.

3. When we did a power hitting test you might be surprised to know that Nasmul hit the ball further than anyone else - Tamim included! But batting is not all about 6s and 4s. It is about being able to score singles off every ball as well and running hard between wickets to turn ones into twos. 6 twos is the same as two 6's and far less risky. I would prefer the lower order to be able to move the ball into gaps and run hard than just be able to hit high and hard to fielders and walk off..

4. No advice. Fast bowling is a tough thing to do. Bowlers will always get injuries. Players have to rest properly, sleep well, eat right and be committed at training. This is true for all internationals.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic boy
Hello Ian. Emon here...thanks a lot for joining with us. stay tuned and have fun. :-)

1. What should Bangladesh do to have more international standard pace bowlers with good speed?

2. What kind of pitches do you wish to be prepared for world cup?

3. Who sets the bowling plan, you or the captain?

4. What is the most inspirational aspect for you to be Bangladesh national coach?

5. which country's bowling attack do you think so strong in this world cup?

thank you Sir.
1. All of our bowlers bowl over 130 kph, with Rubel and Shahadat over 140 kph. We have Nasmul, Shafiul, Rubel, Mash, Shahdat, Robin, Dolar all bowling over 130 kph. When you compare that to India we have more fast bowlers! I am a little bit fed up with commentators saying that BD does not have pace bowlers when compared to other teams we match them. It's true we do not (yet) have a 150 kph bowler but it is only time and training before we do

2. The pitches should be fair for all and be under the scrutiny of the ICC. But they wil of course be like they usually are in BD because that is what our surfaces are like.

3. The bowlers KNOW what to do and when to do it. We have trained them that since I got here. The captain has to just worry about field placing and when to bowl people, but I am confident the bowlers know their own plans already as we saw against NZ.

4. Just being around talented players like our boys.

5. SA has a fiery attack and Australia too. But in this part of the world it is spin that is likely to be king, so thats why we have a lot to shout about this WC.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Question: Which football team do you support in English premiere league?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Manchester United. Started supporting them when I was 7 years old and they were rubbish!
Old February 1, 2011, 11:17 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Warm welcome to this forum Coach!

These days I see more of "short of length, hit the deck hard" kinda bowlers rather than pitching it up and moving it in the air type bowlers. I can think of probably Jhonson, Anderson and Styen that does that on a consistent basis... are swing bowlers a dying breed? have you seen any genuine swing bowlers (apart from the current crop of players) as a prospect for Bangladesh, who could do the job like Chaminda Vaas did for Sri Lanka or Waqar did for Pakistan, in the future...?

Last edited by Jadukor; February 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM..
Old February 1, 2011, 11:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Hi Coach...first of all thanks for giving your valuable time with us.. my question

who is your favorite batsman in Bangladesh team?
Old February 1, 2011, 11:39 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Q1: (NVM)

Q2: I know you talked about your "dream"/"goal" to have a Bdeshi attack with 4 pacers, on your last BC interview, but I know we aren't quite there it. But we did start with 3 pacers in the past, but not too often. We always stack the team with SLA and All round spinners, but lets say your 3 of your pacers are ready to start a game together, and deserves to start over one of those spinners, can you make that happen? Do you have a say in that at all? Or it's just up the the selectors and the coaches?

Q3: Do you think our WC squad's a seamer short?

Q4: Favorite baseball team?
Old February 1, 2011, 11:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Dear Coach,
Thank you for coming to BC. We have literally 1000s of fans here from all around the world. Many here knew your work long before you came in to BD fold.

My questions are:
Who is greater: (Just your choice, no explanation required)
A) Imran, Kapil, Hadlee, Botham (choose one)
B) Tendu, Viv
C) Wasim, Waqar
D) Shakib, Watson
E) Murali, Warne

Do you play golf? If so what is your handicap?

Last edited by Tigers_eye; February 2, 2011 at 12:01 AM..
Old February 2, 2011, 12:12 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

Hello Coach, a warm welcome to BC.

I would be glad to know about some of your personal liking. What is your favorite film anyways? are you enjoying the current weather around Dhaka city? What do you like most to eat in our country?

Thank you.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
will you please stay with the Bangladesh Cricket Team beyond the world cup? I know this is a personal question but it seems to me that you and Fountain have been doing a wonderful job with us, and my question really is, in the absence of a coach or a bowling guide like yourself, how do you expect the fast bowlers, the current group of fast bowlers to keep up the good work. what needs to be done by them?

I fear that it may be BCB will not extend your contract after the world cup, and I as a follower of Bangladesh Cricket feels that this decision will hurt Bangladesh Cricket in the long term. so if offered a long term contract, would be ok for you to continue with Bangladesh Cricket Team?

what is the best part of your job?
It is up to the BCB if they wish to keep any coaches. My contract expires March 31st and after that who knows. However, no one can wait until a contract actually runs out to renegotiate.

As an international coach there are many opportunities to work in other countries and on other projects. When you do well (as has happened so far) people want to employ you. But right now I am here and enjoying my work with the BD team. So it is not my decision to extend anything as i don't have that power.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:23 AM
Cricket Legend

But we the fans want you to continue with us for long time beyond world cup. Keep it in mind don't think of leaving !:@
Old February 2, 2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
Been a great fan of Ian Pont from a long time. There was a lot said and I have followed every thread on Indiancricketfans.com and pakpassion. Let me share something about my belief in fast bowling which has changed after I have seen his interviews, fast is not only about that inherent talent, it is something that if taught properly can be mastered by anyone who is willing to work hard.

My question is
1) I personally believe that a slingshot action where can generate more pace than a regular round arm action. Can you shed more light on your opinion about this? I remember how you had mentioned how Javelin throwing can be used as an example to bowl fast.

2) In Bangladesh, it is a normal thing to discourage pace bowling. Captains would not give bowl to the bowlers who stray a bit in line to achieve more pace. There is a world of difference in the words said and the frustrations shown when a fast bowler gives a wide compared to a spinner. I genuinely think that this culture has to stop in Bangladesh, what is your take on this? Aren't we taking out the natural aggression of fast bowlers in Bangladesh by asking them to only focus on line and length?

Thanks Ian, and what a pleasure to finally write to you in our forum not the indian and pakistani forums.
1. Speed comes from being able to stretch and contract muscles in sequence using all parts of your body and not just your arm. The javelin throw is probably the most efficient example of this. So we can adopt and adapt those lessons into the bowling action at it's base (the legs and hips) and with the arm pull (called stretch reflex) for fast bowling. The difference is we bring the ball down and not up (like javelin) so have chest drive down into the pitch on follow through. I have skill drills for this to teach all fast bowlers called "Ian Pont's 4 Tent Pegs" based on my ABSAT coaching (Advanced BiomechanicsSpeed and Accuracy Technique)

2. It is not just in BD that pace bowlers are told to slow down. But I understand it happens more here due to the slow pitches and spin friendly conditions. The truth is you can be fast AND accurate - and you don't have to choose one thing over the other. If the pitches are batting friendly, learn how to swing the ball. A ball being released at 150 kph is not affected by the pitch. It is affected by what's in the bowler's heart.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Dear Coach,
Thank you for coming to BC. We have literally 1000s of fans here from all around the world. Many here knew your work long before you came in to BD fold.

My questions are:
Who is greater: (Just your choice, no explanation required)
A) Imran, Kapil, Hadlee, Botham (choose one)
B) Tendu, Viv
C) Wasim, Waqar
D) Shakib, Watson
E) Murali, Warne

Do you play golf? If so what is your handicap?
A) Botham
B) Viv Richards
C) Wasim
D) Shakib
E) Warne

Golf: I play, but not regularly. Would probs be 18 handicap now but used to play off 8.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Q1: (NVM)

Q2: I know you talked about your "dream"/"goal" to have a Bdeshi attack with 4 pacers, on your last BC interview, but I know we aren't quite there it. But we did start with 3 pacers in the past, but not too often. We always stack the team with SLA and All round spinners, but lets say your 3 of your pacers are ready to start a game together, and deserves to start over one of those spinners, can you make that happen? Do you have a say in that at all? Or it's just up the the selectors and the coaches?

Q3: Do you think our WC squad's a seamer short?

Q4: Favorite baseball team?
Q2: We can play 3 fast bowlers overseas, which is what I said in that article you refer to in your question. If we had 4 fast bowlers bowling really well there is no reason to think we couldn't play 4 in some countries. You cannot achieve a dream or goal of that in the 4 months I have been here. But I can see it in a few years time.

Q3: The WC squad is very balanced for our own conditions. I think we would possible have one more fast bowler if that fast bowler could bat in the top 7/8. But we do not have such a player at the moment. In another answer I felt that Dolar Mahmud could be the sort of player that could do it, but he has yet to fulfil his rich promise.

Q4: New York Yankees and Philadelphia Phillies
Old February 2, 2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikss
Hi Coach...first of all thanks for giving your valuable time with us.. my question

who is your favorite batsman in Bangladesh team?
I cannot pick a favourite batsman as that would be very unfair!

Of the less obvious names I think that players like Naeem, Ryad and Sharihar Nafees are hugely talented batsmen who can make a difference for various reasons in a team.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Warm welcome to this forum Coach!

These days I see more of "short of length, hit the deck hard" kinda bowlers rather than pitching it up and moving it in the air type bowlers. I can think of probably Jhonson, Anderson and Styen that does that on a consistent basis... are swing bowlers a dying breed? have you seen any genuine swing bowlers (apart from the current crop of players) as a prospect for Bangladesh, who could do the job like Chaminda Vaas did for Sri Lanka or Waqar did for Pakistan, in the future...?
Don't confuse swing bowling with medium pace bowling! Fast bowlers can swing the ball - just less, which is better at high speeds. Anderson, Steyn, Sidebottom, Johnson, Lee, Bond, Akthar, Asif, Broad, etc etc etc.. all bowl over 140 and all swing the ball. Some of them bowl over 150 and swing the ball.

Coaches say 'hit the deck' because they want a bowler to be aggressive and not just 'put' the ball on a length. Swinging the ball still requires you to bowl hard at the length you want and not just float it.

So swing bowling is a requirement of ALL new ball bowlers! Shafiul, Rubel and Nasmul all swing the ball....
Old February 2, 2011, 12:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Who would win in a fight?
You or Fountain?
Old February 2, 2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic boy
But we the fans want you to continue with us for long time beyond world cup. Keep it in mind don't think of leaving !:@
I'll keep it in mind... but its a BCB decision not mine.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring tigerz
The openers Rubel and Co. will be face in this world cup include Sehwag, Gayle and Smith. They will particularly target our faster bowlers, as they are the perceived weaker link. How do you think our young bowlers will handle, not only the biggest stage they have played in yet, but in addition to that, batsmen who are hell bent on hitting them out of the ground all the time?
A good ball is a good ball to any batsman. Our bowlers bowl good balls and all batsmen at the WC will have to play it. We are not bothered by the opposition. We are focused on bowling good balls. This is how you win matches by bowling good balls and taking wickets or stopping runs.

Batsmen will always try to smash the ball (look at Tamim) and if luck is on their side then they score runs. But we have a role to play as bowlers and the bowlers are sticking to what we have trained them to do.

If you are confident in your skills then you can bowl well in the WC or in your own garden at home - it really doesn't matter. A good ball is a good ball. Confidence comes from being able to trust yourself.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
Who would win in a fight?
You or Fountain?
Me.. no contest. He probably wouldn't even show up for it. Plus he would probably say something weak like the bigger they are they harder they fall knowing him and hide behind that.

Last edited by Ian Pont; February 2, 2011 at 01:23 AM..
Old February 2, 2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring tigerz
Ian, first off thanks for all your work with our team. what is your personal expectation from our pacers in the upcoming world cup?
Just to do what we have been practicing for 4 months. we saw it against NZ and then against Zim. They are getting better and better...
Old February 2, 2011, 01:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Ian
  • Say your opinion on Sledging in Cricket. is it beneficial? Are our bowlers/fielders going to sledge?
  • Say something on bad decision by umpires.
  • And your view on The Umpire Decision Review System ( UDRS )
Old February 2, 2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
Ok here we go:
1. Will express pace be really effective in the subcontinent roads?
2. Will there be any reverse on offer with the white ball? Especially since there is this mandatory ball change in place.
3. What's more important in your opinion - taking wickets or constricting the flow of runs?
1. Express pace is ALWAYS effective
2. The white ball can reverse as early as 22nd-23rd over if it gets a bit roughed up by the dry pitch.
3. Well who gets the most runs wins. So taking wickets stops that flow. Your question said taking wickets OR stopping runs but wickets does that. So to win games we need to take wickets and be attacking and aggressive in the field. This is what we will do.
Old February 2, 2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Coach, in the last series against Zimbabwe we saw Shafiul's pace hover around 130 with a max of 139. Was he bowling within himself and can we expect him to bowl quicker during the world cup?

Also, as BC's biggest Shahadat fan, I took notice of your comments regarding Shahadat and how he reminds you a bit of Stuart Broad. Do you have any idea why his pace has dropped and how we can get it back up?

thanks.
Speed alone doesn't take wickets but when combined with good swing bowling it does. So we have spent 4 months working on Shafiul's outswing. His confidence is up so he will feel relaxed and bowl faster.

Shahadat's pace is definitely NOT down! He has bowled some quick balls in WC nets last few nights.