facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 2, 2012, 09:47 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Question What's Your "Official" Nickname?

We in Bangladesh have a wonderful tradition of having "official" Bangla or Banglicized nicknames often unrelated the actual "official" name.

Mine is Shubho. My father's was Bachchu. My mom's is Lucky (pronounced Lakee by most), given to her by my grandmother nicknamed Rozi. She nicknamed her other kids Bobby, Jolly and Joy! The irony is, my late grandmother was a Bangla professor educated in an English medium Islamic institution in Kolkata before her MA at the DU.

I have biracial (Irish American) cousins named Onindo, Ornob and Osheem all born and raised in Staten Island. All three are fluent in shundor Bangla, and can read Bangla newspapers.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; December 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM..