facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 16, 2010, 05:44 AM
Club Cricketer

Default 'Bangladesh are an ordinary side' - Sehwag (What a looser? He don't know how to bat against BD even) w/video

"Bangladesh are an ordinary side. They can't beat India because they can't take 20 wickets." That was Virender Sehwag's pre-series shooter on Bangladesh on the eve of the first Test in Chittagong.

You can never accuse Sehwag of being boring. His press conferences are as interesting as his batting. He sauntered in to the press room today, remained typically blunt throughout, dealt in monosyllables and left people speechless. The Indian journalists weren't so shocked because it was almost the norm with him; a few Bangladeshi journalists looked stunned.

You could have said Sehwag was bordering on arrogance, you might have felt he was being dismissive, almost brutal especially in his assessment of Bangladesh' strengths and if you hadn't been in a Sehwag conference before, you certainly would have thought it was a slightly bizarre event. But it wasn't. It was in character. It was actually very funny but you could also see why some might take offense at his sense of humour.

Bangladesh's response later on, in the form of Jamie Siddons and Shakib Al Hasan, was equally interesting. They weren't present at Sehwag's conference, of course, and reacted to the perceptions of the media who had listened to Sehwag.

A journalist asked the obvious question - can Bangladesh surprise India? "No. They can't beat us in Test matches," Sehwag said. "They can surprise you in ODIs but not in Tests."

Why? "Because they can't take 20 Indian wickets. Even Sri Lanka found it difficult. Bangladesh can't. They are an ordinary side."

There was not even an attempt at civility. There were no standard responses like "they are an upcoming side", "you can't take anyone lightly", or "they have some talented players." Nothing. He just saw the ball and hit it.

It's not as if Sehwag was even trying to be provocative. There certainly was no condescension, nor was it an act of trying to win any psychological points. It's how he has usually been addressing press conferences for some time now. And it certainly wasn't directed, at least solely, against Bangladesh.

Sample this.

"Where is Dhoni?" "He is taking a break". "Is he fine?} (The questioner wanted to know why he didn't come for the press conference). "He is enjoying himself. He is relaxing in the dressing room."

"What's your thought on the pitch?" "I haven't seen it."

Cue an awkward silence. It was a permanent feature of the conference. At one point, early on during one such period, Sehwag leaned forward and said, "thank you." Some laughed, some remained silent, some looked on quizzically and slowly more questions started to trickle. However, the answers continued to be fired with an impassive face and almost all questions were longer than the reply.

Siddons' and Shakib's conference too was awkward but for different reasons. Shakib didn't want to say anything on Sehwag but he said he doesn't consider India to be a true No. 1 Test side. "They are ranked No.1 recently but I think South Africa and India are much better than them," Shakib said. "It's true that they are playing well but they still are human beings and they will make mistakes."

Cries of "shabash, shabash (excellent, excellent)," went up from the back of the press room. It was certainly an interesting conference. It was Siddons' turn next. "Your thoughts on what Sehwag said?"

"He should stay away from mikes," Siddons said. "Every team has good and bad phases. His comments might bite him on his bum in a few years time. It might even hit him in the bum in a week's time. We are definitely not an ordinary side. That's what we are hoping to show in this Test series. We could hopefully prove Sehwag wrong."

Not many are convinced that the quality of the cricket in the series will be of high standard, but as Wally Hammond once so famously said at the start of an Ashes contest, what "a fine bloody way to start a series".

Sriram Veera is a staff writer at Cricinfo

Feeds: Sriram Veera

Last edited by tipu009; January 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM..

Old January 16, 2010, 05:45 AM
Club Cricketer

Virender Sehwag doesn't have an international century against Bangladesh. In two Tests against them, he has managed 23 runs, and even his ODI average against Bangladesh is lower than his overall average. Some correction of those stats might be in order.
Old January 16, 2010, 05:48 AM
Banned

lol we posted same time!
Old January 16, 2010, 05:53 AM
Club Cricketer

Hi Crickey!!! i have posted 120 sec before.......... it's not same time!!

Last edited by tipu009; January 16, 2010 at 06:05 AM..
Old January 16, 2010, 06:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Too bad Sehwag sucks, and even though he will get out for single figures, it doesnt make a difference, because our real worries, Gambhir, Tendulkar and Laxman will take the game seriously.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Well, if you sit back and think, he is not wrong. Bangladesh is still an ordinary side and your bowlers will find it very difficult to take 20 Indian wickets. Sehwag is known to speak him mind. Political correctness is not something he is known for.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:06 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

what an idiot...
Old January 16, 2010, 06:13 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
Well, if you sit back and think, he is not wrong. Bangladesh is still an ordinary side and your bowlers will find it very difficult to take 20 Indian wickets. Sehwag is known to speak him mind. Political correctness is not something he is known for.
Well!! i will say. he don't have the right manner to talk at press conference.. Therefore, he need to learn how to talk as he learn how to bat

Friend Surfer , DO YOU THINK INDIA HAVE GOOD BOWLING LINEUP OUTSIDE INDIA TO WIN TEST IN REGULAR BASIS? I DON'T THINK SO. Indias bowling is very inconsistance as also mentioned by Ian chappel recently.

Last edited by tipu009; January 16, 2010 at 06:20 AM..
Old January 16, 2010, 06:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipu009
Well!! i will say. he don't have the right manner to talk at press conference.. Therefore, he need to learn how to talk as he learn how to bat

Friend Surfer , DO YOU THINK INDIA HAVE GOOD BOWLING LINEUP OUTSIDE INDAI TO WIN T IN REGULAR BASIS? I DON'T THINK SO. Indias bowling is very inconsistance as also mentioned by Ian chappel recently.
Irrespective of Ian Chappell or anyone else's opinion, we have gone up the ladder to the top by consistently taking 20 wickets in matches in India as well as outside. We may not have great individual bowlers, but as a unit, our bowling line up has delivered what was needed. Added to that we have a very smart captain who knows how to use his limited resources.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Crickey wtf is up with that article and that remark, mod is gonna ban you for a few days, there's no room for that in this forum
Old January 16, 2010, 06:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Stupidity has the limit. *cough* Mr. Shewag *cough* has crossed it.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:32 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Hear Tigers Hear!!!
Old January 16, 2010, 06:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: See my avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic boy
Stupidity has the limit. *cough* Mr. Shewag *cough* has crossed it.
He is being arrogant. His arrogance will become stupidity if he fails to back it up with runs in the match.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
"He should stay away from mikes," Siddons said. "Every team has good and bad phases. His comments might bite him on his bum in a few years time. It might even hit him in the bum in a week's time. We are definitely not an ordinary side. That's what we are hoping to show in this Test series. We could hopefully prove Sehwag wrong."
This made me a life-long fan of Siddons
Old January 16, 2010, 06:38 AM
Cricket Legend

little bit good for us. we were freezing ....now lets burn some : @ :@
Old January 16, 2010, 06:40 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalsri
I think that is un called for. Sehwag is arrogant, so are you whats the difference?
Bangladesh cannot counter the remark by cricketing terms so personal insults are the order of the day.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:40 AM
Banned

And such war of words even before a ball is bowled is making BD-IND series look like Ashes. Long Live Bangladesh-India Cricket Rivalry . I cannot wait for the series to start.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:41 AM
Club Cricketer

Shakib didn't want to say anything on Sehwag but he said he doesn't consider India to be a true No. 1 Test side.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:44 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: See my avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade
Bangladesh cannot counter the remark by cricketing terms so personal insults are the order of the day.
Seriously??? I hope you don't represent the views of even a small percentage of people on this forum let alone Bangladesh. See Jamie Siddons' response. That is how you respond..not personal insults.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade
Yet India is the only test playing elite nation to lose most against minnows (BD+Ken+Zim) in ODI.
Cricket Legend

Surfer,

Did these comment help Sewhag's side win, or did they serve to fire up the opposition ?

Personally, I'd be calling a bowlers meeting, and delivering an expletive-laced tirade about how Sehwag doesnt think we can bowl them out twice, and how we're going to prove them wrong.

And "What's your thought on the pitch?" "I haven't seen it."???

Does he take his job seriously, or is he expecting that it's enough to show up to win ?

Ian Whitchurch
Old January 16, 2010, 06:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
"What's your thought on the pitch?" "I haven't seen it."
Basically Sehwag was indirectly saying that he can mockery of Bangladesh bowlers irrespective of pitches. Somoy hoile deikha lomu dada, we only need to win the toss.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

$hehwag pura vua.
Old January 16, 2010, 07:00 AM
ODI Cricketer

I want shahadat to target his helmet... full toss
Old January 16, 2010, 07:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
Basically Sehwag was indirectly saying that he can mockery of Bangladesh bowlers irrespective of pitches. Somoy hoile deikha lomu dada, we only need to win the toss.
No. Sehwag just speaks his mind in every interview. He is yet to learn political correctness, something I don't mind. He is just a straight forward guy and sometimes his comments come across as rude and arrogant. If he said he has not seen the pitch, the he really has not. He said Bangladesh is an ordinary side because that's what he feels.