facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old June 8, 2008, 11:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

I have left watching footbal many many years ago and was wishing that it will come good after we got the SAF footbal champ trophy. But it looks to be worse.

Old June 8, 2008, 11:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Old June 9, 2008, 12:22 AM
Cricket Legend

A new low for Sports in Bangladesh. We are not only struggling in cricket, but in football against so called minnows who dont even play professional domestic football. When we were held by Bhutan i somehow got the impression we would crash out. And i wasnt surprised at all with last nights defeat, and we were lucky to hold Afghans to a draw.
Just tells you a bit about sports administration in BD. This tournament also proves football wont go ahead in BD with local coaches. I am glad that we have a new management now and lets hope they quickly take action. Sooner or later we will find ourselves below 200.
Old June 9, 2008, 03:30 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

A lot can happen in 5 years, obviously. Not making it to the next round of a chicken$hit soccer tournament in a checken$hit soccer region is no big deal really.

If you can't run for more than 15-20 minutes at ANY pace, can't pass, can't hold, and still can't finish after all these years, why bother to expect anything else ?!

Time to reallocate some of the funds to women's sports.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
A new era for Bangladesh football.
We cant even make it beyond group stages in the SAFF games.

...and we were champions just 5 years back.!!!
Why do we have to go that far?
Did we make the finals in the last three competitions?
Old June 15, 2008, 02:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Maldives beat India 1-0 and won their first SAFF championship ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 15, 2008 at 03:19 AM..
Old June 15, 2008, 09:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Hats off to Maldives for the amazing result!
Looks like the 'traditional' weaker teams are making up for their lost times, and the powerhouse of South Asian football is taking the opposite route.

With Bhutan making it to the semis and Srilankans also having a good formidable team, the stakes would be higher in the next SAFF championship.

If Bangladesh can get their acts together on time, with indian wanting to win the cup back, the next outing will be an exciting one.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 16, 2008, 01:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Hats off to Maldives for the amazing result!
Looks like the 'traditional' weaker teams are making up for their lost times, and the powerhouse of South Asian football is taking the opposite route.

With Bhutan making it to the semis and Srilankans also having a good formidable team, the stakes would be higher in the next SAFF championship.
Echo those sentiments bro, but I don't think we have what it takes to remain a "powerhouse of South Asian football". The phrase itself is almost an oxymoron and sounds almost as comical as "the powerhouse of Middle Eastern cricket" ...

Besides, being stuck inside the WORST footballing region in Asia is a dead end, especially with dwindling fanbase for the sport in the region as a whole. People have smartened up, thanks to cable and satellite TV, and have no illusions as to the real quality of South Asian soccer.

We lack the speed, strength, stamina and skill required to compete with our Southeast Asian neighbors like Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam, let alone real Asian powerhouses like Japan, South Korea, Australia (now in the AFC), Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

Even "on the verge" Asian soccer nations like Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan, China, North Korea, Uzbekistan and Tukmenistan can blow us away 90 out of 100 times. Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, UAE, Kirghizistan and Myanmar on the other hand, will beat us only 80 out of 100 times.

Basically, everyone else has moved forward while we're still stuck on stupidity and nostalgia for "the golden years".

Quote:
If Bangladesh can get their acts together on time, with indian wanting to win the cup back, the next outing will be an exciting one.
Salahuddin has to do the impossible and I wish him the best of luck. "Exciting" is not the word that leaps to mind.

Sorry to sound so grumpy bro, I'm just sick to my stomach watching the SAFF tournament. The choices that we make !

Last edited by Sohel; June 16, 2008 at 01:30 AM..
Old June 16, 2008, 02:06 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ali Ashfaq
BDFlag Maldives are finally the Champions

Dear brothers, most of us are hopelessly out of reality. We are stuck in a certain "golden era" which is in truth a distant memory. Where were the "traditional minnows" then? They were babes in craddle. Now they have grown up and are ready to give the "powers" a hard time. We are just witnessing that.Others are fast progressing while we are not. The so called "powers" are not. Its not that we are sinking. The fact is others are rising.

How foolish to think only India and Bangladesh have professional leagues in the region. Though small Maldives has the most vibrant professional league in the region. So many Europeans, Africans and even south Americans are playing in that league. The results are amazing. The Maldivian clubs are on par with Singaporean, Malaysian and Hong kong clubs when it comes to AFC cup. Do we know what AFC cup is? AFC cup is only second to AFC champions league. Apart from Maldives, all other SAARC clubs are playing in AFC presidents cup.

Dear brothers. AFC presidents cup is the weakest and least important. Its intended for the weakest countries in Asia. Maldives regularly plays in ASEAN region. The Maldivians dont consider themselves SAARC when it comes to football.They are given the chance to be in ASEAN group. Check AFC site if u have doubts. They are regulrly playing with national sides from Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia. Its no wonder why Maldives are ranked above Bangladesh in FIFA ranking. Maldives National team and their club sides are coached by experienced Europeans.

What do u mean by "Being stuck inside the WORST footballing region in Asia is a dead end"? Whats the meaning of this? Dont you think Bangladesh with a population of 100 million plus has a responsibility? If not whos responsibility it is? Are u telling me its Bhutan or Maldives?

Ever since SAFF championship introduced in Kathmandu 1997 Maldives reached all semifinals. So far five championships have taken place and they reached the last four on each occasion. This feat is matched by India only. Out of five championships, Maldives played three finals. of these three finals, twice they were runners up and once champions. Only India had a better record. We Bangladeshis may be proud of our ego. We played in three finals and lost twice. The only time we won, it was on home soil against whom? Well It was "minnows" Maldives. Do you remember how they played or you are still in 80s when our side were enjoying goal feasts against them? My dear brothers. That was 2003 and u could not have erazed a memory as recent as that.They played good attacking football for 120 minutes and produced a 1-1 result infront of us. They lost in the penalty shootout by 5 to 3. Now after five years We Bangladeshis are "shocked" to learn that Maldives finally triumphed. How amazing? How stupid?

My dear friends. This is utter arrogance. Maldives may be the whipping boys of the region some time in history. It may not be a long one. Sure enough, we enjoyed by winning against them without even raising a sweat. But time has changed alot. Do we know how hard they are working to develop football in Maldives. None of SAARC countries are doing that. I was in Maldives to see what they are doing for my self. They are the only country in the region with a sound youth system. I may not be surprised to see Maldives thrash India, Bangladesh by big scores in a near future. Do we know they have the best scoring records in SAFF history? Its here in Dhaka that they beat Bhutan 6-0 in 2003 while we managed only three past Bhutan in the same tourney. That was a record until Maldives broke it themselves again by thrashing Afganistan 9-1 in 2005 at Karachi.If you consider these facts, you would realise how high the mountain is for us to climb in order to remain a "power" in the region.

Its none other then foolishness to think we can score 8 goals again and again past Maldives. They may score that much gainst us if we dont wake up in time. This is the reality today. Eventhough Maldives is a tiny nation, without doubt it is a giant in south asian football. C,mon guys, They are the champions of the region. Its no coincidence. Since the introduction of SAFF championship in 1997 does any one remember when we were able to beat Maldives in open play? I am sure they have won a handful against us whether we like it or not. I was in Maldives about 8 years ago to witness a game between Maldives and Bangladesh in a tournament called golden jubilee tourney. India and Nepal also took part. I never saw the booters so much outplayed as that in my life. Though Maldives scored only one or two, they had more then two dozen good chances to humiliate us.I think we were lucky to avoid them in 2005 and 2008.

Be realistic. There are no easy opponents anymore in the region.Its not only India we have to respect. If We want to bring back the glory days, then we have to work harder. Laughing and Joking about past results will not help us in that direction.

Last edited by thundaage; June 16, 2008 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old June 16, 2008, 09:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Ki bash!! ei dukkho India koi rakbey?

WTG Maldives.

Welcome Thudaage!! Great post. Now just change the Avatar to Liverpool. That would also rhime with Ashrafool.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Thundaage Great post. I was also amazed to see the league match against India where they have missed like 2 dozen goals. Anyway Maldives definitely going the right way and if could do half the thing they have done we could easily become the power house here. but our Management is always behind how to make money...

Now the same people r destroying cricket...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old June 17, 2008, 04:41 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ali Ashfaq
Default Thanks

Thanks Akabir & Tiger. We have to look beyond our borders.
Old June 21, 2008, 04:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Our BaFoFe was busy fighting for their own positions and benefits for too long a time, without realizing that they are there because of football. Anyway all these rotten politics in BFF is known to all, which has almost ruined the game in BD. These days I don't get hurt, coz I left following BD footbal for many years now. No expectations from football anymore. It is like being beaten in kho-kho to me.

I always had a lots of hope on Salahuddin, be it as a player or organizer. He is capable. But as an organizer he will need a complete freedom to make some development. His ideas are highly progressive and always different than the normal stereotyped BD organizers. if he has to convince every one what he plans, he is not going to be able to do anything except resigning after some time. But if the federation relies on him and supports his actions, he can still bring huge change in BD footbal. IMO, The last chance of doing some real development of football is in the process at the moment.
Old July 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

wow 23 footballers are heading to get trained at Beckhems football academy...

story

Kazi Sallauddin (I know he has nothing to do with it but still) you are the man. our Platini...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old July 19, 2008, 05:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Great chances for these kids.
Old July 20, 2008, 08:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Mash and Tamim

Great news! Nice to see they will get further help in academies such as Chelseas!