facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old May 21, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

^^^

Old May 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
Cricket Legend

we pulled off hot fluorescent pink couple of years back..... this flaming orange is nothing
Old May 21, 2012, 11:10 AM
MLC World Series I

Barca kit designers skills are inversely proportional to the Barca players football skills.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:31 AM
MLC World Series I

No comments!

Old May 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

^Much better than the orange one!
Old May 23, 2012, 05:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Looks like the GP idiot who designed the baby vomit motif for BD/DG kits is now working for Nike! The Sci-Fi type regular kit is somewhat tolerable. I think the other GP idiot who designed the "look Ma, I peed my pants" motif is more focused on the sweat drenched look after landing the job with Nike.

Anyway, Pep's departure while sad, doesn't signal the end of our dominance as the best team in the world. We have home grown depth like no other, and always pick up outsiders who must fit into our ball possession system. Rather than be a team of mercs like Real Madrid with their Fascist/Nazi/Warcriminal affiliations creating widely varied systems with inconsistent results. Coaching is more of a factor for them than it will ever be for us.

Quote:
Catalunya triomfant, Catalonia triumphant, tornarà a ser rica i plena.
Endarrera aquesta gent, tan ufana i tan superba.
Bon cop de falç!
Bon cop de falç, defensors de la terra!
Bon cop de falç!
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 23, 2012, 06:09 AM
MLC World Series I

Just because Franco supported the club during his reign, and certain board members supported him and 'a sect' of the stands are fascist doesn't mean the club has affiliations with fascism. That's totally absurd and immature. Everyone has their fair share of skeletons in the closet. But to brand an entire institution solely on the acts of a few is wrong.

Part Three: Real Madrid, Franco and the Socio Model
Old May 23, 2012, 06:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Real still has high-powered board members openly active in the Falange, including the descendants of Franco, his generals and Primo de Rivera running their respective neo Nazi organizations and actively encouraging neo Nazi hooligans. That's why the decent folks in Madrid support Atletico. I know the area and the football culture there. My late father was the Bangladesh ambassador to France, Spain and Morocco and I spent a LOT of time there.

Catalans and the Basque don't just "drag in" the Franco connection. What happened is unresolved and therefore unforgivable. Much like the Pakistani-Razakar issue here.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 23, 2012, 06:28 AM
MLC World Series I

So there are only a few decent folks in Madrid?
Old May 23, 2012, 06:31 AM
Cricket Savant

We're talking about soccer fans here, not the population as a whole. Sadly, many choose not to care and support the mercenary outfit. There would always be fair weather fans awestruck by wealth and power, without caring about the source. Much like many Bangladeshis, luckily still a very small number, don't care about things until it hits them in the face
Old May 23, 2012, 06:41 AM
MLC World Series I

I just find you branding Real Madrid a mercenary outfit based on their history(and as you say, higher board members. care to provide source? because the boards change with every presidential elections) really astonishing..

Enough of trolling on Barca thread!
Old May 23, 2012, 07:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Trolling? Really? Though not the biggest soccer fan, I've been a Barcelona fan since 1983.Not being an integral part of this PUBLIC thread is irrelevant. BTW, I played High School soccer in Europe and won the ISST gold in soccer with ASP in 1985, my senior year. Later played NCAA soccer during undergrads in the US. Not entirely ignorant of the game.

Take it easy, will you? I'm not the enemy here

I understand the intensely bad blood between Barcelona and Real Madrid and share some of those feelings for personal reasons I don't care to go into here. Feel free to do whatever research you want, but hanging-out in their Spanish forums for a couple of months will be enough for you to understand their true class and mindset. Use Babelfish if you don't speak Spanish.

Last edited by Sohel; May 23, 2012 at 08:04 AM..
Old May 23, 2012, 07:08 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Trolling? Really? Though not the biggest soccer fan, I've been a Barcelona fan since 1983.Not being an integral part of this PUBLIC thread is irrelevant. BTW, I played High School soccer in Europe and won the ISST gold in soccer with ASP in 1985, my senior year. Later played NCAA soccer during undergrads in the US. Not entirely ignorant of the game.

Take it easy, will you? I'm not the enemy here

I understand the intensely bad blood between Barcelona and Real Madrid and share some of those feelings for personal reasons I don't care to go into here. Feel free to do whatever research you want, but hanging-out in their Spanish forums for a couple of months will be enough for you to understand the their class and mindset. Use Babelfish if you don't speak Spanish.
Err, I was referring to myself being a Real fan! And I see that, you've played quite a lot of football and I'm in no way defaming your knowledge of the game and your history(which I've noticed is pretty impressive)..
Old May 23, 2012, 07:38 AM
Cricket Savant

^Bro, my view of Real Madrid is in no way related to my view of you or many of their fans like yourself. On the mercs comment, some people like me prefer mostly home grown to acquired players, that's all. Hence the negative attitude towards clubs like Real, Chelsea and nowadays, Man City

My bad on the "trolling" part. Feel free to troll away. Makes life more interesting.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Really good read.

Quote:
Reinventing the wheel: How Guardiola revolutionized football
By Chris Murphy, CNN

(CNN) -- Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola signed off in style on Friday, securing yet another slice of silverware for the Spanish club before embarking on his self-enforced sabbatical.

A 3-0 victory over Athletic Bilbao in the Spanish Cup final saw the all-conquering Catalan coach take his haul of trophies to 14 during his four-year tenure, and even if he decides never to return he will have left an indelible print on the sport.

His final match underlined his approach to the game; the manner of the triumph important as the result. Barca were 3-0 up inside 25 minutes as Athletic were forced to chase shadows, like so many teams that have gone before them.

Guardiola has built on Barca's pure football principles with a totalitarian approach to tiki taka, a style reliant on short passing and dynamic movement, and the results have helped an already successful unit transcend a higher plane.

Guardiola's vision has been enshrined by fellow disciples of Barcelona's famed 'La Masia' youth academy, players like influential Spanish pair Andres Iniesta and Xavi, as well as prolific striker Lionel Messi.

They have helped him deliver three successive Spanish League titles, two European Champions League crowns, two Spanish Cups, two FIFA Club World Cup titles and five further trophies with a soulful swagger that has had many a pundit purring that this is one of the greatest club sides of all time.

Guardiola's masterstroke has been to morph the basics of Barcelona's philosophy into a new style of soccer that has confronted convention, according to Spanish football expert Sid Lowe.

"What Guardiola has done to some extent is challenge some of the truisms and clichés of football, such as defending is about sitting deep and denying space for teams," Lowe told CNN.

"Barcelona have done the opposite, they've gone and looked for teams, defended with possession which teams perhaps haven't done before.

"The challenge, for example, on the use of the word practical or pragmatic, to talk about what is essentially a long ball game, but what could be more pragmatic than winning what Barcelona have won in the last four years?"

Albert Ferrer played with Guardiola during a golden era for Barcelona, when legendary Dutch coach Johan Cruyff led the club to three consecutive league titles and their first European Cup triumph in the early 1990s.

Ferrer believes Guardiola's innovative, progressive approach to the game was born during that period under Cruyff, himself a staunch defender of Barcelona's cherished attacking philosophy.

"Pep tried to play simple football," said Ferrer of his friend, also Catalan born and bred. "He created the philosophy where if you can play an easy pass why would you play a difficult one?

"Barcelona are one of the few teams who always had 70-75% possession in games because of the players they had and the philosophy of keeping the ball. He was very demanding of that -- not giving the ball away.

"All the teams now defend against Barcelona and he had to adapt to those solutions. He didn't always play the same system -- with three defenders or four, playing with a '9' (a traditional striker) or without a '9' -- always making things difficult for the opposition.

"All the movements he created, with the two full backs pushed forward and the center backs very wide, all started with him."

Michael Cox, from the Zonal Marking website, attributes the development of Guardiola's coaching philosophy to how the former Barca captain's own playing career panned out - where there was a general loss of faith in the deep-lying midfield position Guardiola used to occupy in favour of more aggressive midfielders

"He had to leave Barcelona as a player and take quite a big drop down to Brescia (in Italy) because, frankly, no good club wanted a player in that mould. Everyone wanted big battlers deep in midfield, like Patrick Vieira, Edgar Davids, Roy Keane, Claude Makelele.

"Now, he's managed to construct a team featuring four players who looked up to him when they were in the Barcelona youth team: Sergio Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas.

"I think almost every big club in Europe has copied Barcelona's way of playing, to a certain extent, in recent years. It's remarkable that that is now the way to play football, considering his struggles towards the end of his playing career as a deep-lying passer."

As ever in the often fickle world of football, Guardiola has his detractors, attributing Guardiola's success as a masterstroke of timing, claiming his tenure conveniently began just as a clutch of great players rolled off the famed Barcelona production line.

And while there may be truth in that argument, Lowe believes it was the way Guardiola allied the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Busquets and Fabregas to his own football philosophy that was more pertinent.

"Guardiola has been the most zealous defender of a certain type of identity -- he hasn't been the creator of that identity," said Lowe.

"There's an almost puritanical conviction about how you've got to do things. That mindset has its flaws but Barcelona stick to it.

"He was absolutely the right man at the right time with the right squad, the right players around him. It has been a culmination of circumstance but without that identity it wouldn't have been as clear or as unshakable."

This unflinching devotion to Barcelona's cause and the all-consuming nature of the job has taken its toll on Guardiola.

As well as his own meticulous nature combined with the weight of responsibility that comes with being Barca manager, another explosive element - Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho - only added to the pressures on the 41-year-old.

"People close to him have said they've been worried about him for a long time," said Lowe. "That he doesn't eat as well, he looks skinnier, he's lost his hair.

"Guardiola has struggled to understand the depth of tension that has been created by this rivalry with Mourinho over the last year. I think he has found that genuinely unpleasant at times and hasn't known how to deal with it.

"I think those things have all come together to put us in a position where Guardiola thinks, 'I've had too much, it just isn't enjoyable any more.'"

In typical Barcelona style, at the press conference to confirm Guardiola's departure, the club announced his erstwhile assistant Tito Vilanova, another pupil of the club's famous school, would replace him.

Ferrer, who describes his former teammate as a relaxed individual, thinks Guardiola is calling time on his Barcelona tenure at just the right time.

"He is the manager who has changed everything," he said. "He's been clever in choosing the moment to leave because in Barcelona he will always be welcome and he can have whatever position in the club he wants."

Guardiola's self-enforced break may only be in its embryonic stages but for those fearful he will be lost to football forever, his comments prior to his final match should provide reassurance that he will be back to reinvent the wheel again before too long.

"For the next months I have to charge my batteries and charge my mind," he said. "I am going to rest and I will wait. I will be ready once a club wants me, if they seduce me I will train again."

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/28/sp...html?hpt=hp_c2
Old August 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Cricket Legend

about time this thread resurfaces.... on the brink of el-classico...

come on Barca fans of BC... lets win it all this time...
Old August 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

Highlights of the first match of La Liga 2012

Old August 23, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Valde's blunder was too embarrassing and almost takes the glory out of the victory. A 3-1 or 4-1 would have given the Barca fans sth to celebrate but with this scoreline its not even close to over. Looking forward to the next leg...

but Iniesta was just superhuman today.... only got to watch few glimpse of the game today and he was as usual phenomenal ...
Old August 29, 2012, 01:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Way too many Classicos and Mini-Classicos nowadays. Anyway it is interesting to see more and more Bangladeshis living vicariously through teams from La Liga. It used to be pretty much all EPL not so long ago.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Way too many Classicos and Mini-Classicos nowadays. Anyway it is interesting to see more and more Bangladeshis living vicariously through teams from La Liga. It used to be pretty much all EPL not so long ago.
I have seen mostly young Arsenal & Chelsea fans showing their allegiance to Barca/Madrid (not jumping ship but just supporting 2 clubs perhaps).

it makes more sense to support Barca/Madrid than the likes of ManCity, since manCity is their direct competitor. And La-ligas recent marketing success and Spain's recent WC/Euro triumph has only positives to add to it.

p.s: Reminds of an analogy I read somewhere online regarding ManCity. Supporting ManCity is like liking Justin Bieber, you can love them all you want... but just not out in public... (quite true for anywhere outside Manchester)..
Old August 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
I still find EPL the most competitive. For someone who likes to bet on sports, EPL is dangerous though. Sometime west ham can play their A game and draw/win against Arsenal. La Liga on the other hand, Barca wins 90%+ of their matches at home, and 80%+ overall. And if you take out Barca, Madrid, Athletico Madrid & Valencia from La liga, the league isnt that exciting.

But Barca is my team !! I got their Flag, home and away jersey, key ring and watched them live once in Dallas.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
No comments!

Yea i dont know how many of you liked it, but for me it's better than the last one. Something I can regularly wear anywhere...
Old August 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Yea i dont know how many of you liked it, but for me it's better than the last one. Something I can regularly wear anywhere...
yup, definitely getting this one... I always preferred more blue than red on the Barca kits...
Old August 29, 2012, 04:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Barca hanging by a thread here... 2-1 at half time for Madrid....

Madrid looks super sharp, so does CR/Ozil.... wont feel bad if Barca goes down to this Madrid team... but all to play for in the 2nd half...

Barca's defense remains the problem...
Old September 2, 2012, 09:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Man what a goal by Adriano today. Absolutely smoked it.