facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 21, 2007, 11:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Zunaed is pretty tall, which allows him to play with a straight bat a lot easier. It's good to know that we finally have an opener who can play with a straight bat.

Old September 22, 2007, 12:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Yes, He can be The Superstar. He has Outstanding Level of Footwork and Technique. His Shot Placement is Average. But, He has One Major Lackings I Think. His Timing is Not Good. Tamim Iqbal, The Other Oppener of Bangladesh has Beautiful Capabilities of Timming. But Junayed Siddique Needs to Improve His Timmming.

One Thing for Sure The Next International Team (Against Whom Junayed Siddique will Play) will Definitely Come After Homework for Him. If He Cannot Improve His Timming and Shot Placement, I Think Those Two can be Barriar for Surviving in International Cricket.

Wish You All The Best Mr. Junayed Siddique.
Old September 22, 2007, 01:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfaze
Yes, He can be The Superstar. He has Outstanding Level of Footwork and Technique. His Shot Placement is Average. But, He has One Major Lackings I Think. His Timing is Not Good. Tamim Iqbal, The Other Oppener of Bangladesh has Beautiful Capabilities of Timming. But Junayed Siddique Needs to Improve His Timmming.

One Thing for Sure The Next International Team (Against Whom Junayed Siddique will Play) will Definitely Come After Homework for Him. If He Cannot Improve His Timming and Shot Placement, I Think Those Two can be Barriar for Surviving in International Cricket.

Absolutely. Timmmmmming is essential for any batsman.
Old September 22, 2007, 02:30 AM
Banned

Here's a recent pic of our newfound hope.....

Old September 22, 2007, 05:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfaze

Hmm, we must be watching different players then. From what I've seen of him in the NCL and Dhaka league, Big Z is one of the finest timers of the ball in Bangladesh as we'll continue to see. The same goes for his "shot placement" compared to most others. There is an embedded video in this thread to underline these points. Here it is again: -

His shot selection, though problematic at times like all Bangladeshi batsmen, is better that most also. In terms of class and cricket grammar, even comparing him to Tamim Iqbal is akin to comparing a master-print DVD to an old VHS tape from the late 80s. A visibly absurd comparison to anyone who has them bat. Nafees Iqbal is also more sound than him technically.

That said, Tamim does have superior hand-eye coordination (HEC) to any other Bangladeshi batsman I've seen to date, and can be the hardest Bangladeshi striker of the ball if and when he hits it cleanly. Those are very big whens and ifs ever since his one-hit wonderful performance against India in the ODI World Cup. Since that time, he often mis-timed a wild shot and got out.

Anyway, he needs to harness that God-given talent (HEC), focus on overcoming his hugely flawed technique, and learn to apply that talent on the pitch. That's the only way he can give himself and his team what everybody hopes of. Nepotism and cult following can't save him anymore, but learning the fundamentals of batting, and consequently becoming the very best he can be in the middle undoubtedly will.

I wish him and all of us who prematurely jumped on his bandwagon the best of luck for the future, and hope that all of us, including Tamim, can learn from past mistakes.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; September 22, 2007 at 05:47 AM..
Old September 22, 2007, 05:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Here's a recent pic of our newfound hope.....
Thanks for the pic Billah, but can you perhaps resize it a bit? Rendering issues ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 22, 2007, 05:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR

That said, Tamim does have superior hand-eye coordination to any other Bangladeshi batsman I've seen to date, and can be the hardest striker of the ball if and when he hits it cleanly. He needs to harness that God-given talent, focus on overcoming his hugely flawed technique, and learn to apply that talent on the pitch.
Our selectors can give him a head start by giving up pretending that he's in any way equipped for international cricket and then sending him to the bloody Academy where he belongs.

Also, his hand-eye co-ordination is also a long way behind Aftab and Ashraful IMO. If it was that good he wouldn't miss every ball outside off stump by a metre, no matter how bad his footwork is.

It's a shame his Uncle's a selector.
Old September 22, 2007, 05:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
Our selectors can give him a head start by giving up pretending that he's in any way equipped for international cricket and then sending him to the bloody Academy where he belongs.

Also, his hand-eye co-ordination is also a long way behind Aftab and Ashraful IMO. If it was that good he wouldn't miss every ball outside off stump by a metre, no matter how bad his footwork is.

His HEC, especially when it comes to quicker deliveries, is second to none IMHO. What he does with that gift however, is nothing short of appalling. To use a comparatively more polite term than what I have in mind, he is impetuous and in his impetuousness, he often missses the line of the delivery completely.

I agree with you 100% on the first and last part of your post.

Last edited by Sohel; September 22, 2007 at 06:16 AM..
Old September 22, 2007, 05:44 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:

I agree with you about Tamim's hand eye coordination. He is way behind Aftab, Ashraful or even SN.

I don't think his uncle being a selector has anything to do with Tamim's performance. He is a great potential and has got the mentality to go after the bowling.

He is predominately an onside player and on the off side he is an excellent drive player but finds it hard to deal with short rising deliveries.

Opponents worked with him and didn't feed with fuller length deliveries and used his weaknesses to the fullest extent. Now it's time for Tamim to work on his weaknesses and come back strongly.

I still think he has got a good future in International cricket and that has no relation with any Mama or Chacha.
Old September 22, 2007, 05:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I agree with you about Tamim's hand eye coordination. He is way behind Aftab, Ashraful or even SN.

I don't think his uncle being a selector has anything to do with Tamim's performance. He is a great potential and has got the mentality to go after the bowling.

He is predominately an onside player and on the off side he is an excellent drive player but finds it hard to deal with short rising deliveries.

Opponents worked with him and didn't feed with fuller length deliveries and used his weaknesses to the fullest extent. Now it's time for Tamim to work on his weaknesses and come back strongly.

I still think he has got a good future in International cricket and that has no relation with Mama or Chacha.
He was promoted to the team before Akram was made a selector, so I realise that his selection was based on potential rather than any familial connections he might have. However, it's plain to see that he has gaping flaws in his technique and they won't be ironed out without regular supervision in an Academy type set-up, and he needs to be dropped before he can be sent to one. And that's where his Uncle's presence on the selection panel may be a problem, although admittedly I know nothing about Akram's character and it's entirely possible that he's capable of going about his job professionally and objectively.

I also find it difficult to see how a batsman with no obvious penchant for playing the pull and hook shots can be considered a 'leg side player'. It seems to me his entire repertoire comprises only of shots that can be played off deliveries that pitch close to his body. He can play the flick off the pads behind square, the cow-hit over mid wicket, the full blooded cover drive, and occasionally, if it's close enough to his body, the back foot drive, and even that shot often results in his being caught in the slips.

Every other kind of delivery flies past his bat, whether it be a swinging ball moving away from his leg stump or the angling delivery outside off.

He is, in short, an outstanding U/19s age player whose game still has the sort of flaws that one might expect an U/19s or Academy player to have, and that's the level where he should be playing, instead of flapping his bat around against the best attacks in the world.

Last edited by Aritro; September 22, 2007 at 06:01 AM..
Old September 22, 2007, 06:16 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
I also find it difficult to see how a batsman with no obvious penchant for playing the pull and hook shots can be considered a 'leg side player'. It seems to me his entire repertoire comprises only of shots that can be played off deliveries that pitch close to his body. He can play the flick off the pads behind square, the cow-hit over mid wicket, the full blooded cover drive, and occasionally, if it's close enough to his body, the back foot drive, and even that shot often results in his being caught in the slips.
He is predominantly an on-side player with weaknesses against short rising deliveries, hence "pull and hook shots" are out of equation.

I interviewed Akram for BanglaCricket ( “A big man with a big heart” – An exclusive interview with Akram Khan ) and followed him over the years. I am sure he is well capable to perform his duties professionally.

It's sad when we jump into bandwagon of "name calling" or "accusations" without sufficient evidences.

Last edited by Miraz; September 22, 2007 at 06:27 AM..
Old September 22, 2007, 06:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

It's sad when we jump into bandwagon of "name calling" or "accusations" without sufficient evidences.
Your browser must have censored this part of my post then:

Quote:
admittedly I know nothing about Akram's character and it's entirely possible that he's capable of going about his job professionally and objectively.
Old September 22, 2007, 06:45 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
His HEC, especially when it comes to quicker deliveries, is second to none IMHO..
Have to disagree. Even our beloved HaBa has a better hand-eye co-ord than Tamim, let alone AA.

Have said it many times before, will say it again- Tamim needs to stay away from the National side for the next two years. At this moment he belongs to U19, academy and A side cricket.
Old September 22, 2007, 06:45 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Your monitor must have censored this part of my post then:
It's not only you, some other members have already started to use the term "nepotism" quite regularly regarding Tamim's inclusion in the team.

To be honest, I like your posts, but was upset to see the following sentence.

Quote:
Old September 22, 2007, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
He is predominantly an on-side player with weaknesses against short rising deliveries, hence "pull and hook shots" are out of equation.
did you mean to say off-side player?
Old September 22, 2007, 06:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

To be honest, I like your posts, but was upset to see the following sentence.
That sentence was the reason I posted the retraction in the second post.

I haven't scanned this forum much of late, I'll take your word for it on the 'nepotism' point.
Old September 22, 2007, 06:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
... Have said it many times before, will say it again- Tamim needs to stay away from the National side for the next two years. At this moment he belongs to U19, academy and A side cricket.
Agree 200% ...
Old September 22, 2007, 06:53 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
did you mean to say off-side player?
Nope! I meant on-side.

He is very good in deliveries on his pads or even on the stump. He can dispatch them safely to the cow corner or flick them effortlessly behind the square.

On the other hand except driving on fuller deliveries and occasional cut shots, he really doesn't possess any off-side shots. Footwork is probably the reason behind the weakness and also he is very weak against channel deliveries (just outside off stump without width).
Old September 22, 2007, 07:07 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
I thought "pull and hooks" are predominantly on - side shot. And if a particular player has weaknesses against the short rising delivery and can't play pull/hook and still predominantly on-side player, then he doesn't deserve to play cricket, because I can't see him playing any other shot except flick/glance (I presume his horizontal sword like throwing of bat doesn't make him a good 'on driver' as well)!!
Old September 22, 2007, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nope! I meant on-side.
And I thought he was only an off-side player! How do you explain his addiction to backing off to the leg side and his desire for belting the ball to the off? ...For me this is an obvious sign of compensation for the lack of ability on the on-side!
Old September 22, 2007, 07:17 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp348
I thought "pull and hooks" are predominantly on - side shot. And if a particular player has weaknesses against the short rising delivery and can't play pull/hook and still predominantly on-side player, then he doesn't deserve to play cricket, because I can't see him playing any other shot except flick/glance (I presume his horizontal sword like throwing of bat doesn't make him a good 'on driver' as well)!!
Read post # 211

I think exploitation of his weaknesses by the opponents made his wild swings fruitless and ugly.

I am sure if he can overcome the weakness against short rising deliveries, he will be able to play "hook or pull shots" and will also find his feet against channel deliveries.

It will defnitely take some time to get his confidence back and a confident Tamim he will be a completely different player altogether.

We need a technical coach to work with these shortcomings of our boys.

His most strong point is the mental toughness which is lacking amongst many players and they simply can't cope with the pressure of international cricket.
Old September 22, 2007, 07:20 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Read post # 211
Was quoting u from post#211 actually
Old September 22, 2007, 07:22 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
And I thought he was only an off-side player! How do you explain his addiction to backing off to the leg side and his desire for belting the ball to the off? ...For me this is an obvious sign of compensation for the lack of ability on the on-side!
That's how he is trying to answer the short rising deliveries. Swatting them over the in-field. Due to poor hand-eye coordination he misses most of the time and it looks ugly.

He normally plays proper shots against fuller length deliveries on the off-side.
Old September 22, 2007, 07:26 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp348
Was quoting u from post#211 actually
Hahahaha..

OK, here's my take

"His on-side strokes are better compared to off-side one's. He is not a good puller or hook shot player and that makes him vulnerable against short-rising deliveries."
Old September 22, 2007, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Well he's had a good debut - good for him and good for us. Before getting all too excited though, I would like to see how he performs in ODI and Test cricket (if and when he gets an opportunity) over a reasonable (a couple of years) time span.