facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 24, 2004, 01:27 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Shocking: All the junior bowlers are chuckers!!

Threatening news reported in Prothom-Alo today, that majority of the talented junior bowler of national league are chuckers ! And this has been reported by the League Umpires themselves!! If it is true then our future of bowling resources is in big danger, unless BCB takes strong action!!

Read this:
"Board er udashinotai chucking er mohamari!!"
http://www.prothom-alo.net/newhtmlne...ate=2004-05-24

Old May 24, 2004, 01:28 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

yea, I read it too. Pretty scary picture. Chucking all over the place.
Old May 24, 2004, 03:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

BCB should take this matter very seriously. I cannot understand how can a BKSP-Bowler (e.g. Raj, Durjoy, Nadif, ... ) be a chuckker? If a BKSP bowler chuck, then we cannot blame others as most of them do not get proper training when they start. I don't want to believe that "professional" coaches ignore that as chicking helps the team!!
Old May 24, 2004, 08:18 AM
Banned

Chuckers !! No Kiddin' !!

When playing 15-17 age cricket, I thought all our fast bowlers "threw." I went back to the mirrors a couple of weeks back, and I think I also threw...most likely !!

Its a surprise though that this goes un-noticed in BKSP. That just goes to show how much work we still have to do !! Its not only about improving as a team, but also getting the culture in.

And we certainly don't have any cricketing culture !! Its merely, a picnic culture - atleast up until the recent past.
Old May 24, 2004, 10:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

"ALL" is a word that should be used when you are "absolutely sure" about "all".

I hope the coach (under 19) will let us know what he thinks about it.
Old May 24, 2004, 10:58 AM
Banned

True !

But ofcourse a very obvious point was simply being relayed not meriting any more verbiage than required.
Old May 24, 2004, 11:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by Nascer]
Old May 24, 2004, 11:27 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

one question: as the report suggested, this chucking is very widespread and has been going on for quite a while. my question is, we pick players from these players for the national league. can it be said that the chuckers get more wicket than non-chuckers, in other word performs well? if this is true, then see what is happening. we are picking up chuckers for national team. but why don't they get reported in int'l level? i long as i'm concern, the only bd bowler reported suspicious so far is sanwar hossain. if someone is so much used to chucking they cant just suddenly get rid of it while bowling for national team? obviously this is not happening. do anyone have any idea what is happening actually?
Old May 24, 2004, 12:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
i long as i'm concern, the only bd bowler reported suspicious so far is sanwar hossain.
Rafique and Durjoy are also reported before....
Old May 24, 2004, 12:34 PM
Banned

All of a sudden, we have a country full of "Chucking-Experts". This new group of talents include the gallery of sports fans, reporters, and now the local umpires. They want to report Raj even when international officials have not. This report is yet another example of emotional "suicidal" nose-dive that we tend to take regularly in every aspect of our lives as a nation. A national characteristic. I have seen how our kids develop as bowlers. I put zero value to this garbage that there is a chucking epidemic in the country. I sincerely hope that BCCb chucks this report where it belongs, in the trash.
Old May 24, 2004, 01:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by billah
All of a sudden, we have a country full of "Chucking-Experts". This new group of talents include the gallery of sports fans, reporters, and now the local umpires. They want to report Raj even when international officials have not. This report is yet another example of emotional "suicidal" nose-dive that we tend to take regularly in every aspect of our lives as a nation. A national characteristic. I have seen how our kids develop as bowlers. I put zero value to this garbage that there is a chucking epidemic in the country. I sincerely hope that BCCb chucks this report where it belongs, in the trash.
hei hei.. come on! why are u getting so emotional about the report?!
as the report states it... this 'chucking' thing sounds to be an 'open secret' withing the national leage(if the report has enough truth)

its not 'all of a sudden' as u said.. but according to the report this has been going on for quite a few years.
about Rajjak: he has yet not been played infront of international eye.. so we yet
dont know.

Just one thing comes to my mind, and that is... i would not at all be surprised if the local umpires have failed to identify and check this crisis... because the standard of games, players, rules, umpiring and everything is certainly not upto the most professional level! according to the report even Yuvraj sing has expressed his surprise at it.

26/27 bowlers reported among 13 teams!!.. that is not something to overlook!!

the report might even have been exaggerated ... but this matter really should not be completely overlooked for the future propect of the teams! we got long way to go to reach the highest level of professionalism in Domestic Cricket... remember??
Old May 24, 2004, 03:36 PM
Banned

Sorry, horizon, can't agree with several things here:

1. If chucking was always an open secret, then a hoard of the national team bowlers would have been reported, not just one or two. That never happened, so, this "jujubee" picture is tactfully painted by creative reporting. The "Garbage" title is substantiated.

2. Raj did play in front of international eyes, pls check.

3. See, the englandian seamers always tampered with the ball. It did not become a hot topic until Niazi blabbed about it in front of everyone. I see every once in a while, even Mohammed Sami sends down deliveries that look very suspicious. My point is, Bangladesh is no more into "unorthodox" modes than any other nations. It would not be logical to think that we have way more chuckers than the englandians or others.
Old May 24, 2004, 04:28 PM
Cricket Legend

I am confused. Who are the Englandians?
Old May 24, 2004, 04:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Nasser Hussainians?
Old May 24, 2004, 06:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab
Englandians - A WIndian would say indigenous people of 'Hingland'
Old May 24, 2004, 09:37 PM
First Class Cricketer

this is what you get for letting a blatant cheat like Murali continue to bowl
Old May 25, 2004, 01:11 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by billah
1. If chucking was always an open secret, then a hoard of the national team bowlers would have been reported, not just one or two. That never happened, so, this "jujubee" picture is tactfully painted by creative reporting. The "Garbage" title is substantiated.
You seem to be quite confident about the honesty of our bowlers playing within a semi-professional league system which is yet to reach a good standard... well I am not so confident..
I wonder why it is so difficult for anyone to accept that some of these bowlers may have impurities... and their being reported in Int. level in huge numbers is out of question... because they have to cross several levels to reach the National Team. Even after that.. few of our bowlers did get reported(even Rafiq and he has been through corrective procedure).
The ‘Garbage’ term, actually sounds quite pre-conceived.
Quote:
2. Raj did play in front of international eyes, pls check.
Yes... in the only match against ZIM-A... obviously not enough to have confirmation about him. Even recognized players in test nations have been reported after playing..say..50 or 100 matches(even though I hope that Raj never gets reported and becomes a great bowler!)
Quote:
3. See, the englandian seamers always tampered with the ball. It did not become a hot topic until Niazi blabbed about it in front of everyone.… It would not be logical to think that we have way more chuckers than the englandians or others.
you are absolutely sure that they(Eng’ans) never got reported in domestic level and never faced corrective measures??
Probably its supposed to be a very integral part of ‘Standard bowling training’ to identify impurities in bowlers (no matter how small their number is among the potential ones) and take them through it... why is that to be ‘cancelled’??
BD cricket is yet to reach the highest professional level not only in bowling but also in batting and fielding also...and I don’t think it will be possible if ‘loopholes’ like these aren’t taken care off well.
As they always say: Prevention is… always... better than cure!

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by crickethorizon]
Old May 25, 2004, 02:49 AM
Banned

crickethorizon: The proof is in the pudding. Have we had a disproportionate number of bowlers that were reported for chucking? The answer is "no". There is a huge difference between "Some of our bowlers with impurities" and "All of our bowlers are chuckers". Yes, I am confident, since it is with reason and it is within reason. Lastly, our cricket board is also (may be like the Englandians) very serious about this. They are very eager and willing to weed out this symptom before it becomes a disease.

So, if a half-brained sports reporter jumps up at "ALL" our bowlers and yells "CHUCKERS!!", our simple commonsense should prevent us from jumping on this humbug's bandwagon.

Smilies, man!
Old May 25, 2004, 07:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

May I step in for a moment?
I suppose both billah and crickethorizon made their points clear.
Honestly, I think there are lots of bowlers in BD who chucks. It's not they chuck knowing they are chucking, they chuck because no one questioned them. Now that the question is asked, I hope BCB and the local coaches will be sincere in identifying the problems and correct it before it gets out of hand.
On the other hand, I don't think chucking is yet an epidemic in BD. Specially with the young bowlers it can be corrected quite easily.
Old May 25, 2004, 10:02 AM
Richard McInnes
Manager / Head coach, National Cricket Academy
Former BD U19 Coach

I have been waiting for this one to arise.

Hopefully i can provide some clarity to what is happening.

There are a number of bowlers with suspect actions in Bangaldesh, there is no question about that, and over the next couple of months i will be working with a few of them to rectify the problems.

In the past, they have simply not been reported for any number of reasons. Now the ICC dictate that we have a bowling review group to deal with such matters and this has only recently been formed. It is not a new issue, just one that has now surfaced. The umpires have now been instructed to idicate to us, who they suspect as having a suspect action. We can then work rectify the problems before the player reaches international level, where it becomes more of an issue.

There is a simple reason why so many off spinners throw, you can turn the ball further and in both directions, so why would you. And if no one stops you, you keep doing it.

Please keep it in perspective, it is just a fault in a bowling action, like falling away to the off side, or collapsing into your front leg. It is not a crime and players should not be persecuted for having a fault in their action.

Murali, is fortunate that his arm does not straighten fully, which means he can extend his arm during the delivery, but it will not fully straigten. This in a broad sense, is why his action is always cleared. For a normal person who can straighten his arm fully, if you gather and bowl like Murali, you will extend your arm further then the legal limit (5 degrees for spinners), therefore your action will be illegal. Across the sub continent there are literally hundreds of people bowling this way, as it allows the off spinner to be far more competitive. It some countries coaches actually teach kids to bowl that way.

Please do not panic, in my opinion there are a number of bowlers with suspect actions, in most countries around the world, i don't think we have more than anyoneelse, we will be working to assess them and assist them to rectify these faults over a period of time.

On a final note to get you thinking, is it just another evolution of the game. The same as the move from bowling under arm to round arm, then to over arm. have a think about it.

Did you also know that the first person to bowl round arm, was umpiring and actually no-balled the first person to bowl over arm, many years later

Cheers
Old May 25, 2004, 10:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

coach
A question to you? Is the problem only restricted to slow left arm bowlers? or is it more wide across? say the quickies or right arm off spinners? I agree with you that it is not a cause to panic and could be rectified with training, as most of the players involved are pretty young and coachable.
Old May 25, 2004, 11:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by observer

Did you also know that the first person to bowl round arm, was umpiring and actually no-balled the first person to bowl over arm, many years later
Who is he?
Old May 25, 2004, 11:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Maybe, we ought to open up chucking school of art to get rid of the crisis. The problem will be easily solved if we hire our well known international recognizable umpire who happens to be finding chuckers across the country. :P
Old May 25, 2004, 12:52 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Beamer, I believe observer actually mentioned that off-spinners are more prone to chucking because it makes them more competitive.
Old May 25, 2004, 01:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

thanks coach.