facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 10, 2006, 09:50 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Hazari denied permit to settle in Tripura

Smita Mishra,
bdnews24.com Kolkata Correspondent

Kolkata, Nov 10 (bdnews24.com) - Former Awami League leader Jainal Hazari, now living as a fugitive in this city for four years, wants to settle down in Tripura but the Indian authorities have refused him permission to visit that state.

Hazari was elected MP from Feni during Sheikh Hasina's tenure in power between 1996 and 2001.

"I find it stifling to stay in Calcutta anymore. So much is happening in Bangladesh and I want to stay close to the scene of events, close to my native Feni," Hazari told bdnews24.com in an exclusive interview.

But he said the Indian authorities have told him to stay in Kolkata.

"I have been told India wants no controversy with Bangladesh on the issue of fugitives like me, so they want me to stay in Calcutta quietly," said Hazari over lunch at his residence near Kolkata airport.

Hazari fled Feni just before the 2001 Jatiya Sangsad elections. For nearly a year he stayed in Tripura, shuttling between Belonia (close to Feni) and capital Agartala. His close lieutenants, Ekram and Swapan Malakar, stayed with him.

But his close relations with some Tripura Congress leaders like Jawahar Saha, Debu Baidya and Sudip Barman got him into trouble with the ruling Left.

The Leftist strongman of South Tripura, Badal Chaudhury, got the police after Hazari and some of his lieutenants were arrested—only to be released later and pushed back by the Border Security Force. Hazari's lieutenants, however, were back in Tripura after the BSF had turned its back.

Hazari fled to Kolkata fearing arrest. Earlier this year, he returned to Tripura for a week and visited Belonia and Ekkenpur near Feni.

"But I was not too comfortable with the authorities in Tripura. I sensed the Leftists were still hostile to me. So I returned to Calcutta," said Hazari.

But now with so much happening in Bangladesh, Hazari wants to return to Tripura.

"It is easier for me to meet my cadres there and do my politics. I can even use my Grameen mobile from Ekkenpur and Belonia, they are so close to Feni," he said.

But the Tripura government has made it clear they do not want to have Hazari operating out of the state.

"That has been conveyed to Mr Hazari. He can only stay in India so long as he stays away from active politics," said a senior intelligence officer on condition of anonymity.

Bangladesh has repeatedly asked India to send back Jainal Hazari to stand trial for several charges, in which he was convicted.

New Delhi has denied his presence in India.

bdnews24.com/sm/bd/1843hrs

Old November 10, 2006, 11:18 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

India should hand over Hazari to BD authority. As long as they don't co-operate with obvious Bangladeshi political criminals taking refuge in their country, they can't expect the same support from Bangladesh regarding 'militant camps'.

Last edited by Hatebreed; November 10, 2006 at 07:20 PM..
Old November 10, 2006, 12:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

At least bd captured some of them I can remember at least on from bandarbon.. but can't understand why india is letting him loose like that??? And India says big stuff all the time... but here is clear proof that they harbor terrorist not Bangladesh.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old November 10, 2006, 06:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
New Delhi has denied his presence in India.

bdnews24.com/sm/bd/1843hrs
These [edited] Indians, denying that he is in the country yet he is running around like a freak.
Hope they nuke themselves oneday.

Last edited by reverse_swing; November 11, 2006 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: mod.edit
Old November 10, 2006, 06:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

They've got a vested interest in keeping Hazari. He's an awamileaguer. If they're in power, Indians can get a good deal for him. Alternatively, they can use him for doing more terrorism in BD.
Old November 10, 2006, 06:50 PM
Banned

The day Jainal crossed the border, he was greeted by BSF on the other side. There was a biryani party at the BSF camp that night. He is under India's direct protection, as are many other Bangladeshi criminals.
Old November 10, 2006, 07:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

I know when they will hand him over...when BAL comes back to power in future. Not to stand trial but to reinstate him back to Feni.