facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 9, 2013, 01:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Captain's XI

Captain's XI

The horror of all horrors. Yes, I kid you not. The Captain's XI! Let's suppose we want to send the elite squad against the Kiwis this upcoming Octoborfest. Well, how about we scramble the best minds out there and concoct the Captain's XI for a round table the meeting at Captain's World with chicken tikkah and kebab? I say bring on the keg, throw in some Maori tats, and let's go!

Quote:
One-Day International captains

This is a list of cricketers who have captained the Bangladeshi cricket team for at least one One Day International.
Bangladeshi ODI captains[8]
Number Name Year Played Won Tied Lost No result
1 Gazi Ashraf 1986–1990 7 0 0 7 0
2 Minhajul Abedin 1990 2 0 0 2 0
3 Akram Khan 1995–1998 15 1 0 14 0
4 Aminul Islam 1998–2000 16 2 0 14 0
5 Naimur Rahman 2000–2001 4 0 0 4 0
6 Khaled Mashud 2001–2006 30 4 0 24 2
7 Khaled Mahmud 2003 15 0 0 15 0
8 Habibul Bashar 2004–2007 69 29 0 40 0
9 Rajin Saleh 2004 2 0 0 2 0
10 Mohammad Ashraful 2007–2009 38 8 0 30 0
11 Shakib Al Hasan 2009–2011 47 22 0 25 0
12 Mushfiqur Rahim 2011–present 3 1 0 2 1
Wikipedia

1. The Man who Dismissed Javed Miandad

Forsoothery, what this devilry, you say? Well tarry a not bumbledore. First in our list is Gazi Ashraf "facepalmworthy" Hossayin. As they sayin his highest ODI score of 18 and 2 wickets is far eclipsed by his daring scalp of Miandad's wicekt himself in 2nd match at Moratuwa!

This was apparently Bangladesh's first one-day match against a full member of the ICC.

2. Abedin's abattoir

Some call it the Ashes, I call the Chittagong-Dhaka face-off in Ispahani Mirzapore Tea National Cricket League 2001/02 by the name it goes by which is Ispahani Mirzapore Tea National Cricket League 2001/02.

So in recap, basically Nannu bhai, I actually call him "The Beast", basically Nannu bhai single-handedly ripped the Dhakayiaa's a new one.

First of all a first class double is no joke, so choke or not, I am bound to include him in the squad as he was the skipper. Well, his double comes as a gift. One fondly recalls how like Robespierre he spread Reign of Terror across Mymensingh stadium. FFS, ish got so serious that after his 210 and 110 retired hurt, the Dhakayiaa's resorted to - yes - 11 bowlers in a single innings.

SCORECARD

I like Nannu bhai. Nannu bhai enjoys taking wickets and scoring runs. He likes cricket. Few facts to ponder, the man of the match:

Quote:
Minhajul Abedin (1) passed his previous highest score of 139 in first-class matches
--> Minhajul Abedin (1) passed 1000 runs in first-class matches when he reached 209

3. The Most Powerful Man in Bangladesh

Both - in terms of stature, reputation AND JOULES, he is indeed the most powerful man in Bangladesh. He can make or break your life. All he has to do is spit on the turtle's frying bone and voila! the divination of "a brand new XI" manifests.

But I jest, read it fast turns to I digest, well, I guess, uncle's finger lickin' innings of 68 not out against some folks rollin' bleazy would win us our dream ticket of the 1999 World Cup.

Now a chief selector, moving on to the head honcho's position, in poncho Akram uncle is indeed a scary sight indeed for any opposing team.

4. Bulbul, Bannerman and Bangladesh

Bulbul bhai needs no introduction. All I gotta do is pluck an insane Alex Trebek answer of : Mandarin speakin' Malaysia dormant of this family Pycnonotidae species of bird for $200.
On a less serious note, Bulbul bhaia is perhaps the most badass person to ever play for BD. I mean to utter Bannermanjee's naam and Bulbul bhai's name in same sentence is like saying NBA and Dwight Howard. Oh well...

Isam bhai response?

Quote:
As one of Bangladesh's most celebrated cricketers in the pre-Test-status era, it was only fitting for Aminul Islam to grind out 145 runs in Bangladesh's inaugural Test against India in 2000, the second-highest in a nation's debut after Charles Bannerman's 165 for Australia in the first official Test match. After batting an unthinkable eight hours and 55 minutes - especially for someone with very little first-class experience - Aminul was the last man out in what became his greatest achievement in a 15-year international career.
Quote:
A steady batsman, Aminul was strong against the spinners but struggled against quality fast bowling, as was the case with every Bangladesh player during that period. Still, he ground out 84 against a quality Zimbabwe attack in his second Test, and scored another half-century against Sri Lanka, an innings during which he guided the boyish Mohammad Ashraful to his debut century. Thus, Aminul was in the middle for Bangladesh's first two debut tons.
Uber-pwnd.

5. "I don't always take Test wickets---"

First Test captain of Bangladesh, Durjoy bhai's last success was knocking out Tendulkar and Ganguly. In his rare display of six-fer's - like a courtship of coot's dance- was after India was set to score 400, Naimur Rahman Durjoy dismissed the Indian stalwarts came in India's first innings, as they chased Bangladesh's 400, and his victims included Sachin Tendulkar.

Isam bhai?

Quote:
It was a rare day of international success for Naimur, who didn't get more than two wickets in an innings in his subsequent Test career.
Scorecard:Bangladesh vs. India only Test, 2000/01

6. Best wicket-keeper in Asia

Proclaimed by guru Dav as Best wicket-keeper in Asia (and Thalassia sans Black Sea region), Khaled Mashud bhai, not to confuse with Khaled Mahmud bhai, yeah I know, head trip, was another of the pioneer mountaineer paraglider. (Get it? Pilot? abaro double pun chilo Abu bhai-er).Other than a slot of keeper, his first class unbeaten 201, would come definitely help cross sonic barrier of cricket equivalent, if not, yaw the ship when needed, y'all feel me..on awl, (I just wanted to use the word 'yaw')

7. The Man

Although his bowling average naki dipped, or rose?, to 400 in 2003, lol, he would still be the Man, more precisely, Man-of-the-Match against our only win against Pakistan. In Northampton, as the Tigers would upset the appelcart, it was Sujon bhai's dismissal of Afridi, Inzy and Saleem Malik (all in single digits) would ensure the 62- run victory.

Banglay jake bole, shonkhar khatay (or kothay) nombor khular agei the out.

But the anecdote I relish is, yup, you guessed it, Isam-da!
Quote:
Hailing from a family where both elder brothers played club cricket, the man nicknamed Sujon was a taped-tennis hit in Siddeshwari, a residential neighbourhood in Dhaka. A terror in the field, many players have a tale to tell while playing with Mahmud over the years. He was witty as well as a man who never backed down from a fight, often using sledging as a means to upset batsmen.

8. Tin Goyenda o Bashar!

Bashar bhai, not to confuse with the New Age guru Bashar who apparently convinced himself that he is the mouthpiece for his alter-ego from alter-universe in alternate lifestyle, is a rebel sorta fella who is known for his ICL saga. Anti-hero, villain, Belarophon to Chimera, he is also a private investigator on screen. Along the other three detectives of Athar bhai, Shamim bhai, Sharafat bhai, he is often seen on cricket field making a first fifty in the history of Bangladesh Test cricket to prove shut off the critics.

9. The Sub

Khondokar Mohammad Rajin Saleh Alam bhai who has more letters in his name than Test and ODI wickets, err combined, is our next choice.

Rajin's claim to fame? When proposed to consider fielding at short leg as sub in the inaugural Test against India in oh-oh he immediately would take care of Tendulkar.

10. The Devil wears Bata

The Devil's greatest trick was to convince the world that he did not exist. Well, duh. He does not exist. Nay, not anymore, but it's sheerly out of courtesy as his captaincy tag that I have to include this Evil Genius Renesa manob for another slurpacious 190!!

11. The Iceman

I got three words to describe the #1 of #1: Shakib-al-Hasan.

12 (Extra). Double-whammy!

Half-the-size-double-the-whammy. What better way to describe the reigning captain and the stand-by keeper, Mushfiqur, the Mighty Atom.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Last edited by Zeeshan; July 9, 2013 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: numbers

Old July 9, 2013, 01:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Sad part was after I clicked submit, it turned out that I didn't store cookie enable mode. Phew! Luckily it cached it. Now time to ca$h it.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

LOL the devil wears bata
Old July 12, 2013, 04:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

587 views but only two ( one by the author himself) replies, made it three
Old July 13, 2013, 01:03 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

hay hay! amader Mashrafe bhai to dekhi list e ashe nai ... kopal doshe captain hoyei ahoto hoye gelo ... ash to ban, ar rajin bhai chilo varprapto odhinayok ... onader bad diye mash ke nilei kinto khub bhalo ekta balanced team hoye jay NZ'r sathe ...

1. Lipu
2. Nannu
3. Sumon
4. Bulbul
5. Mushy
6. Akram
7. IceMan (c)
8. Mash
9. Sujon
10. Pilot (wk)
11. Durjoy