facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 15, 2007, 12:56 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
"I would not like to answer any question regarding my decision and it would be nice of you to refrain yourself from asking," said a straight-faced Bashar.
http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/05/16/d70516040130.htm

So he doesn't want to retire - awesome. I was thinking, we can strap him on a chair, do a "Clockwork Orange" type eye set up - then keep on playing all the Aussi games. May be then he can differentiate between offensive / defensive field setting.

Old May 15, 2007, 12:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

Wow what a disastrous piece of news for me and Bangladesh cricket. He's the most pathetic player I've seen recently. Only in Bangladesh can a player like him still keep a spot. If Bashar had any sense of pride and honor he would've retired after the world cup but clearly he lacks commonsense. His presence will keep holding back Bangladesh cricket. Really sad....
Old May 15, 2007, 01:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

he must be out of his mind. he should have known his place. he has been a burden for last couple of matches and there wasn't any sign of improvement. if he had little bit of dignity left he will leave.
Old May 15, 2007, 01:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Well...i think he wants to leave with a superb performance. So far this series he wasn't able to achieve that. If the third ODI was played and he scored high, I am 100% sure he would've retired!!!!

Either way, i believe his poor captaincy is our main worries!!! If he decides to in the least give up the captaincy, it won't turn out as bad!! I still think he could somewhat bat in the middle order and can be useful.
Old May 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
I have already talked about it yesterday (Monday) and I said that I would say it later.
"I would not like to answer any question regarding my decision and it would be nice of you to refrain yourself from asking," said a straight-faced Bashar.
He was adamant but neither denied nor agreed whether he would continue only as a player in the shorter version of the game.
A newspaper report on Tuesday suggested that he would only step down from one-day captaincy but stay on as player. He may have already reached the decision which is not to retire from the shorter version so soon, according to the report.
Right from the prelude of the one-day series, he insisted that he would announce his decision of whether or not to retire from one-day internationals but till date, he has skirted past this question time and again.
Isn't the series over? Or did he mean the Test series? If the decision is to retire from one-day cricket then it was wiser for him to announce right after the one-day series but he had earlier suggested that it would distract his teammates from preparing for this series. Well, now it seems his prolonged decision-making could well turn into a distraction or a burden to his team.But if this was his final one-day appearance for his country, as a captain or as a player, it will be remembered for him not declaring anything as he said he would, a week ago.
a nice report on Sir Habibul Bashar from DS
Old May 15, 2007, 03:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

I'll wait for SL ODI series.. he might perform well..without the captaincy..
I'll stop whining too..wat worst could happen? .. duuh.. play man.. gluck for the SL SERIES (ODI)
Old May 15, 2007, 05:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
I think Bashar will be quite useful to BD team as a player once he lets go the captaincy.
I somehow doubt it. He is not a good fielder, not a good runner between the wickets, throws the ball like a woman (no disrespect to female members), doesn't rotate the strike well, below par batting performances...and so on. Like someone else mentioned before, he is more of a liability than an asset.

Yes he is an experienced player but that alone won't save the day for him. He is the ideal player/captain for any opposition team.
Old May 15, 2007, 05:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Bekaidai Bashar

read it.. its quiet interesting.. Faruq doesn't want to select him. Because of BCB hes always been selected as he was the captain...
Old May 15, 2007, 05:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i might actually be started to really really really dislike habbu

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 15, 2007, 05:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateCut
He can retire now and then in two years he will be elligible to play for Burmuda or even Canada and USA. In this way, he can play indefinitely till his kids are finished with schools. I am sure he visits this forum. If he is interested, I can put him in touch with some local cricket leagues at Chicago. May be one day he will play for USA and at the same time get his kids through the schools.
He actually have to wait four years to qualify for another country, if he wants to. I recommend Bashar to move to Canada, their selectors love older players.
Old May 15, 2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Betar shomoshshota ki?
Old May 15, 2007, 08:17 PM
Cricket Legend

I remember Mark Taylor, Australian captain, faced similar problem before. He was in a very bad patch and the only survivded because he was the captain. After 14/15 ininngs (I think) he scored a century and everything changed.

I hope Bashar does something like that and show the world. I dont like his captency but need his experience. So if he can play w/o captency, I will be fine w/ it.
Old May 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Guys guys guys.... Look at the bright side. If he steps down as captain, then he is more likely to be dropped from the team. I'm quite sure that Ashraful will get his chance to be captain in the next ODI series. However, I'm not sure if the selectors will give him the responsibility in tough upcomin tours: (afr-asia cup (away), Sri Lanka (away), 20-20 c'ship (away), SAF (home).... In fact, they don't play "easy beats" Zimbabwe until Jan 2009. However, Zimbabwe's future seems more and more uncertain - and captaining a side against them won't really be a real challenge for Ashraful. Perhaps a baptism of fire would be appropriate for Ashraful--I say make him captain for the afro-asia cup!
Old May 15, 2007, 08:52 PM
Cricket Sage

guys.. how he gonna step down from catpaincy as hes not one.. he's been made captain only for this series.. so the series is over.. now hes not the captain.. BCB will appoint new captain.. probably ash for the next series....

SO DON'T WORRY..

Last edited by Murad; May 15, 2007 at 08:59 PM..
Old May 15, 2007, 09:07 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Abdur Razzak

The Daily Star report on Bashar

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/05/16/d70516040133.htm
Old May 15, 2007, 09:09 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Abdur Razzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar
Guys guys guys.... Look at the bright side. If he steps down as captain, then he is more likely to be dropped from the team. I'm quite sure that Ashraful will get his chance to be captain in the next ODI series. However, I'm not sure if the selectors will give him the responsibility in tough upcomin tours: (afr-asia cup (away), Sri Lanka (away), 20-20 c'ship (away), SAF (home).... In fact, they don't play "easy beats" Zimbabwe until Jan 2009. However, Zimbabwe's future seems more and more uncertain - and captaining a side against them won't really be a real challenge for Ashraful. Perhaps a baptism of fire would be appropriate for Ashraful--I say make him captain for the afro-asia cup!
They already chose captain for Afro-Asia cup which is Shoaib Malik from Pakistan.
Old May 15, 2007, 09:13 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sanath Jayasuriya, Shakib
Default Typical South Asian captain

I just hope Bashar can leave the cricket stage with pride, and honour...He shouldn't try to meek out his career..He has done well for the team-there is no doubt...He was there for the hard times..He was right person for the job (captaincy) during the build-up of the team..Now someone, who is youthful, imaginative, has cricketing sense, can speak english, should take over..Personally, from the things I have heard and read, Ashraful would be the next in line-for he has done well as captain in domestic, and with the bat..
If Bashar is feeling good about his batting from the 2nd ODI (vs Ind), he should continue to play test cricket, but only as a player..
Old May 15, 2007, 09:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Tigers
I remember Mark Taylor, Australian captain, faced similar problem before. He was in a very bad patch and the only survivded because he was the captain. After 14/15 ininngs (I think) he scored a century and everything changed.

I hope Bashar does something like that and show the world. I dont like his captency but need his experience. So if he can play w/o captency, I will be fine w/ it.
Mark Taylor survived because he was the most brilliant captain Australia had had since Ian Chappel.

It's a good thing Bashar is such a tactical genius too!
Old May 15, 2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
I'm sure... too bad he uses all his tactics for staying in the team instead of using them FOR the team
Old May 15, 2007, 09:39 PM
Cricket Legend

I believe BCB got the brain to take a decision on this fellow. He is clueless what he is trying to do. His shoulders are down, he always drags his body, his mind is not in the field. BCB is not that blind that they will retain him as captain. Hope Mr Bashar understands this situation.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old May 15, 2007, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
Mark Taylor survived because he was the most brilliant captain Australia had had since Ian Chappel.

Heh.

When we were so bad that we would lose, captaincy was irrelevant. Now that we can actually win, captaincy is very relevant. My hats off to Bashar for his contributions, but we have so many in the queue for ODIs that he should just throw his hat into the ring. He is still an extremely valuable player for Tests.
Old May 15, 2007, 09:42 PM
Cricket Legend

did we all forget how BD performed against Zim when Bashar came back from the series after the injury? We lost the series. I know everybody will say that it was Pilot's fault as he was the captain. Anyway, I still think he has some value in the team even w/o his captency.
Old May 15, 2007, 10:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
did we all forget how BD performed against Zim when Bashar came back from the series after the injury? We lost the series. I know everybody will say that it was Pilot's fault as he was the captain. Anyway, I still think he has some value in the team even w/o his captency.
You stilll depending him?? too bad.. you guys will never learn..
Old May 16, 2007, 03:17 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
If he stays in the team he should be the CAPTAIN. Ashraful was not even a VC with the same team. So, let him adapt and others to calm down under his leadership. Just for one or two series. Then Bashar can go off!
Old May 16, 2007, 10:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
He is still an extremely valuable player for Tests.
the way he has been playing of late, i highly highly doubt it.

he can't avoid getting run out in limited overs matches, how will we keep up his energy over 3 or 4 days???

but we owe him a test match or 2 and see if he can do it. personally, i couldn't be happier if bashar reels of 2 pairs in this series, selectors realize that he is a shell of his former self, and drop his hiney for good.

#OneTeam1Dream