facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 4, 2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Each NCL team having a Pakistani fast bowler would do a world of good.
Thats right, even from Afghan, Zimbo, Ireland wont do worse in fast bowling option I guess.

Old November 4, 2012, 11:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
NCL should allow good overseas bowlers in every team, otherwise these big innings will never help learning technique against good and fast bowling.
Quality foreign bowlers, coupled with sporting pitches, would make a huge difference.

NCL needs serious investment in terms of money AND intent. The money can provide better facilities, coaching and scouting for 8 regional teams, each with several age-based teams and help them stay, train and play together throughout the year. Haphazardly assembled together teams take several matches to gel and produce quality cricket as a cohesive unit.

Investment in intent means overcoming the Dhaka-centric, club-centric mindset of traditional "cricket administrators" and make sure that the NCL, not the DPL, establishes itself as the most prestigious cricket tournament in the nation in terms of quality, money and overall appeal.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 4, 2012, 11:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Quality foreign bowlers, coupled with sporting pitches, would make a huge difference.

NCL needs serious investment in terms of money AND intent. The money can provide better facilities, coaching and scouting for 8 regional teams, each with several age-based teams and help them stay, train and play together throughout the year. Haphazardly assembled together teams take several matches to gel and produce quality cricket as a cohesive unit.

Investment in intent means overcoming the Dhaka-centric, club-centric mindset of traditional "cricket administrators" and make sure that the NCL, not the DPL, establishes itself as the most prestigious cricket tournament in the nation in terms of quality, money and overall appeal.
Well said. The NCL, not DPL needs to be the main focus in our cricket. Also great suggestions to improve the overall quality. Question is will the BCB ever change this mindset of DPL 1st, NCL 2nd? That's the big question right there. I've never lived in BD so I don't know how things work exactly but can media pressure be enough to have the BCB sway its importance to the NCL?
Old November 4, 2012, 11:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Almost all of the BCB powerbrokers are DPL admins. I don't think we'll see change anytime soon.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 4, 2012, 11:39 PM
Cricket Guru

As long as BCB had politicians running cricket then we'll continue to see slow progress. I was stunned to see how many people work in the BCB. Do these people even do anything? Seems like most if not all do very little and get paid decently well. Again don't want to make assumptions but it looks like too much government power inside BD cricket is the reason for such disappointing results.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old November 5, 2012, 12:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Almost all of the major DPL cricket admins are politically connected. Illegal gambling with all of the side dishes is how these clubs make money and such activities are impossible without political and administrative (police and the civil service) support.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:03 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Warne McGrath and S Waugh

Quote:
The way things stand now, the NCL can actually adversely impact your game for a variety of reasons. You can get away with a lot of fundamental flaws in the tournament. For example not move your feet and block full-tosses and half-volleys and put up high scores against toothless attacks made even more toothless by flat tracks, and in a league where many bowlers depend on unforced batting error when a batsman plays a bad shot in order to get most of their wickets. None of these things will you succeed at the highest level no matter how awesome your so called "FC" stats are.
I remember Ian Bishop once talk about his introduction to First Class Cricket. He said the quality of batting was so good in the West Indies during the 80s that if you didn't bowl brilliantly for your island you simply wouldn't get any wickets. Guys like Greenidge and Haynes would bat for days on end if the bowlers weren't on their game. This kind of culture set up the bowlers to become much better at finding ways to dismiss batsmen and was the reason Bishop and others of his generation (Walsh and Ambrose notobly) were so good on flat tracks.

Right now in Bangladesh you have a situation where bowlers have been used to getting wickets by waiting for mistakes. If that tactic works it will encourage bad bowling. The fact that the batsmen now are seeming to be putting the lesser bowlers to the sword shows that this shift is beginning to happen. The bowling may be poor, but it would never get better until the batting punished it for being poor, which in the past has not happened.

Bangladesh haven't got the strength of First Class cricket that other countries like Australia and England have right now. We all know this. And therefore they can't compare themselves to this league. All the good players in the league can do is exploit the weaker ones and rise to the top, while the lesser players must work hard to improve their game. Right now it seems the batsmen are improving. This will in turn force the bowling to improve and hopefully the cycle will push BD cricket forward.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Our "FC" isn't anywhere near where it should be given our resources and passion. It is a farce compared to other cricket tournaments in a country because of persistent neglect and abject disregard for context and qualitative analysis of these so called "FC" stats. National players are selected or discarded primarily due to nepotism or unsubstantiated impression by guys who don't recognize quality in either a technical or a tactical sense, and these stats are used to justify their inclusion or exclusion without any intellectual honesty whatsoever.

I'm not saying it should be as good as the FC in Australia, South Africa or England. I'm saying that it isn't where it should be on account of neglect compared to the DPL. The proof is in the pudding and just look at our record at the highest level. Any international team that even considers players like Nazimuddin, Rokibul Hasan, Jahurul Islam and many others deserve nothing better.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:55 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Warne McGrath and S Waugh

Quote:
Our "FC" isn't anywhere near where it should be given our resources and passion. It is a farce compared to other cricket tournaments in a country because of persistent neglect and abject disregard for context and qualitative analysis of these so called "FC" stats. National players are selected or discarded primarily due to nepotism or unsubstantiated impression by guys who don't recognize quality in either a technical or a tactical sense, and these stats are used to justify their inclusion or exclusion without any intellectual honesty whatsoever.

I'm not saying it should be as good as the FC in Australia, South Africa or England. I'm saying that it isn't where it should be on account of neglect compared to the DPL. The proof is in the pudding and just look at our record at the highest level. Any international team that even considers players like Nazimuddin, Rokibul Hasan, Jahurul Islam and many others deserve nothing better.
Right now the NCL is the place where players should be pushing their case for international duties, particularly test duties. If the 'wrong' players are making a better case here then the 'right' players only have themselves to blame. Like you say the standard is low and the passion is not there. So why then can't the guys with the most to gain plunder these weak, disinterested attacks, instead of getting out cheaply while Nazimuddin and co. score big.

I agree with you that selectors should be looking for more than just FC stats to make a call on who deserves national duty but the players still need to put up the numbers to attract attention.

Nazimuddin may fail at international level but as long as he stays a key player for his NCL side and is a hard man to remove he'll be a valuable asset to Bangladesh Cricket as he's a marker for young players. They have to be much better than him to make it in internationals, so averaging 35 is not enough, they have to average 50 or 60 to know they're a serious prospect.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:35 PM
Cricket Guru

I don't know if this was said earlier, but what's very encouraging is the fact that the younger players are really making the big scores in the NCL. There's a lot of talk about T20's ruining young cricketers but doesn't seem to be the case with our guys even if it's in domestics. Soumya, Anamul, Mominul, Tasamul, Sohag, Nurul, Mizanur and Asif are the ones I'm talking. Is it a sign that our younger batsmen are better at the art of playing cricket then the older players of BD? It certainly looks like it given the fact that our younger players are the ones who are doing better in international cricket.

The key now is to have these players play extensive Academy and A team cricket so they can do well in not only our grounds but some of the bouncier and sporting grounds. Our young batsmen could really become good players if this happens.

Now let's look at our bowlers, Soumya, Alauddin, Sohag, Sanjamul and Taskin have all done fairly well. The list isn't as extensive as our young batsmen but it's still progress. Again we need to continue to track their progress and focus on nurturing them because they seem like they can play.
Old November 7, 2012, 03:02 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

rather than the scores... i am very pleased at the duration some of these batsmen are batting... shows they are meeting the temperament expectation of the longer version. Thats a major improvement right there. If the players have a mindset and energy to bat an entire day, chances are they will be successful
Old November 7, 2012, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I don't know, I don't share the same optimism as you guys. Been there, done that and I'm sure you have too. After all, Shafiul ke pitay keu konodin borolok hoy nai.
Old November 7, 2012, 04:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I don't know, I don't share the same optimism as you guys. Been there, done that and I'm sure you have too. After all, Shafiul ke pitay keu konodin borolok hoy nai.
Can't blame the pessimism but we went from a team that depended upon Ash-Aftab-Alok to Tamim-Shakib-Mushy. I would say that's progress right there. The former were lucky to hit double digits on a regular basis whereas the latter hits half centuries on a regular basis. Now we have Nasir who is a younger player but became a regular very quickly. We have to wait and see how Anamul and Mominul turn out now.