facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 27, 2007, 01:17 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Bangladesh cricket at a crossroad: change of vision required to lift the bar

Bangladesh cricket at a crossroad: change of vision required to lift the bar
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

Bangladesh cricket has entered into the most crucial period after gaining the Test status. A team which progressed significantly over the last few years under the guidance of Dav Whatmore, need some new directions and fresh thoughts to make it to the next level of cricket. With the completion of the current series, Dav Whatmore has already left Bangladesh cricket. He paired with Habibul Bashar, Bangladesh skipper, to lead the renaissance of Bangladesh Cricket. Bashar has already stepped down from ODI captaincy and may find the same fate with Test captaincy. The two person, who were at the centre of Bangladesh cricket over the last four years, are leaving the stage almost simultaneously, and Bangladesh cricket must select right persons to fill their shoes.

The extent of achievements of Whatmore and Bashar can be debatable, but undoubtedly during their tenure, Bangladesh made giant strides in right directions, especially in the shorter version of the game. To translate the successes of the shorter version into the longer version, Bangladesh need a change of guard, not only in the management but also in the thought process.

Now, it's hight time to take some crucial decisions which will determine the fate of Bangladesh cricket over the next few years.

Firstly, coach selection. When Dav Whatmore took the charge of Bangladesh cricket in 2003, he was unambiguously the perfect person to fit the shoe. Bangladesh cricket was hit at the rock bottom, and we needed someone like Dav's stature to lift the image of Bangladesh cricket. He was the ideal person, who could stand firm against fierce criticisms from the world media and instill positive mentality within our cricketers and motivate them despite countless failures. He has done his job; Bangladesh team is now known for its fearless attitudes and has built a positive image. Now it's time to appoint a technical coach. A professional coach, who will work with the techniques of our boys and will be hard working. Not necessarily he has to be high profile coach, but he must be able to stand firm in difficult times and convert Bangladesh to a technically correct team.

Secondly, change in captaincy. When Bashar took over captaincy from Khaled Mahmud, it was one of the most hailed decisions of Bangladesh cricket. He was only consistent performer of Bangladesh team, and performance earned him captaincy. He was never a captaincy material and made numerous tactical errors in both forms of the game. He took "safety first" approach regardless of prevailing situation, the unpredictability and inconsistency of youngsters contributed a lot in his defensive approach.

Bashar and Dav, with support from the selectors, managed to inject some young blood into the team, and these new generation of players have a completely different set of mentality. To be honest, Bashar led the rejuvenation of Bangladesh cricket, but it was the crop of these youngsters attitude coupled with their performances. Ironically, Bashar failed to adapt himself with the new situation and lost his touch completely. He finally decided to quit ODI captaincy, and it's also the time to leave the test captaincy. Intellectually he has nothing left to offer for Bangladesh cricket. He carried the burden of Bangladesh test batting single handedly over the last few years, he should take some time to assess his Test batting and make honest decision for the best interest of Bangladesh cricket.

BCB must appoint a new captain for both forms of the game. A new pair, coach and captain, with bold and positive visions can only take Bangladesh cricket to the next level. It can be either Ashraful or Mashrafe, both positive player and proven performer. It's the high time to make the decision.

Thirdly, the composition of the team.
Time has come to take some strong decisions about some of players. We are carrying them for years without reasonable explanations. Javed Omar, Khaled Mashud has nothing left to offer for Bangladesh team in both forms of the game, same applies to Habibul Bashar in ODIs. We should thank them for their contributions for Bangladesh cricket and move on. Only performance should be the criteria for selection, whether it’s Test or ODI. We have heard enough about experience, only experience cannot buy any success, it must be accompanied by performance. Everyone must understand, it's the young blood who changed the Bangladesh team in ODIs, and only they can change Bangladesh in Tests. We need players like Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed and Mushfiqur Rahim in the Test team, who can take oppositions to the wire with their aggressive intents. Test cricket has evolved a lot along with ODIs. Now, teams play for win, aggressive players like Adam Gilchrist, Kevin Pietersen, Mahendara Dhoni are ruling Test cricket. Timid approach can only hold us back, time has come to open the eyes and change the thought process.

Lastly, change in the domestic structure. BCB have taken couple encouraging decision to develop domestic cricket and establishment of National Cricket Academy is one of them. A fully functional academy can only groom the youngsters for the future Bangladesh team. Now, in addition to basic skills training, National Academy should be able to cover the following aspects of modern cricket to cope with the evolving cricketing culture, both on and off the pitch.

- Sports Psychology and Visualization
- Addressing issues such as self and group dynamics and self management
- Critical thinking and Problem solving
- Media Relations and how to deal with the press
- Players' contracts, Sponsors and sponsorship

Apart from the academy activities, a major overhaul is needed in the wicket types. Keeping the natural sub-continental wickets in some first class venues, BCB must prepare some sporting wickets which will offer pace and bounce. Only then players will be exposed to different level of challenges and will be able to acclimatize to different conditions. Financial security of the first class cricketers is another important issue which BCB must deal professionally. First class players should be able to earn their livelihood through playing cricket, so that they can fully concentrate on the development of the game which in turn will enhance the quality of the domestic cricket.

Finally, If we want to progress as a cricketing nation and solve our Test woes, we must take correct decisions about these issues. Bangladesh Cricket Board want to follow Australian model to raise the standard pf the game. I hope they will truly follow the system and will take decisions which will lift the bar and Bangladesh will come out of the dark old days of Test misery.

Last edited by Miraz; May 27, 2007 at 04:05 PM..
Old May 27, 2007, 01:25 PM
Club Cricketer

spot on! tamim aftab mushi are must must! and we also demand a lesson from the south or aussiez qurator to give our moron quroator some lessons how to make better pitch
Old June 3, 2007, 06:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla786
we also demand a lesson from the south or aussiez qurator to give our moron quroator some lessons how to make better pitch
We want sporting pitches or pitches that suits our kind of play......not the pitches suited for aussies or south africans...

To play better in foreign soil (specilly outside sub-cont.), we need to send our "A" and U-19 team to visit their countries more often.
Old May 27, 2007, 01:35 PM
Cricket Legend

New selectors as well
Old May 27, 2007, 02:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

I agree with everything except that Aftab and Tamim need to be in the Test cricket. But they go for stupid shots and get out. You did't mention that we need players like Rajin in test because they don't play stupid shots. We need to find more players like him. Aftab and Tamim are good for odi's but not for tests (yet). But I really like the pitch preparation idea, need sporty wickets.
Old May 27, 2007, 02:12 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by uss01
I agree with everything except that Aftab and Tamim need to be in the Test cricket. But they go for stupid shots and get out. You did't mention that we need players like Rajin in test because they don't play stupid shots. We need to find more players like him. Aftab and Tamim are good for odi's but not for tests (yet). But I really like the pitch preparation idea, need sporty wickets.
You can definitely differ with my thoughts.

About Rajin, we already have him in our Test team and this article is about the change of vision. Going forwards.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
At least they can actually score some runs. Half of our players all score ducks. Aftab can consistently score 40.........yes that's not good enough for a player of his calibre, but it's better than half the other players. And trust me mate.........tamim'll prove you wrong
btw...nice article miraz bhai
I so wish the BCB could read this
Old May 27, 2007, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

Miraz bhaiya u have stolen the words right of my mouth and my mind!!
Old May 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafis_BD
aaii hai.. tai naki?? Miraz.. bhai apni ki korlen eida..
Old May 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,Mushi &Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
hahahaha
Old May 27, 2007, 02:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc

u stole da guys article
great article though miraz bhai
Old May 27, 2007, 02:36 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafis_BD
An old proverb.

Wise men think alike.
Old May 27, 2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
An old proverb.

Wise men think alike.
Even older : Birds of a feather flock together. ( Say it as if squwaking like a parrot )
Old May 27, 2007, 02:24 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

i think we need some aggressive players in test cricket.. earlier nafees used to be aggresive but hes completly out of form... i dont care if its tamim or aftab or someone else.. but we need some good aggressive players for tests..

we have to get rid of JO, Pilot and Bashar(if he doest bat well in the next test series).. we have to find new players.. to replace them.. i dont think mushfique is a good option for wicket-keeping.. he should play more domestic cricket to get experience on WK. I dont think hes ready for any internation cricket yet..

we need a lot of changes for the next series..
Old May 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Lovely article Miraz
Old May 27, 2007, 02:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

what about bringing in players in their mid 20's? Like Al Shariar or others who have performed well in the NCL? They are definetely better than Javed Omar type players.What about Sanwar Hossain? Or is he too old? I am not a good fan of bringing in teenagers unless it's absolutely necessary. They just play stupid shots and get out, don't value their wicket.
Old May 28, 2007, 09:58 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
what about bringing in players in their mid 20's? Like Al Shariar or others who have performed well in the NCL? They are definetely better than Javed Omar type players.What about Sanwar Hossain? Or is he too old? I am not a good fan of bringing in teenagers unless it's absolutely necessary. They just play stupid shots and get out, don't value their wicket.
I agree with u in this one. Its frustrating to see stupid shots played by these players, especially aftab. And why do bangladesh selectors put dat guy in number 3 spot is beyond me. Put him in 6 place.

Finally I think players should be picked on performance basics,:
Old May 27, 2007, 02:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Nice article Miraz bhai...
Old May 27, 2007, 03:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

we need a better structure for our domestic league. players should get money for playing in the league. we need little bit of professionalism in our cricketers. we need better pitches.
Old May 27, 2007, 04:07 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
we need a better structure for our domestic league. players should get money for playing in the league. we need little bit of professionalism in our cricketers. we need better pitches.
Point covered.
Old May 27, 2007, 06:43 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

Nice,constructive articles. Also we need experienced,knowledgeble, impartial SELECTION
BOARD. We need one captain for both version of cricket. We don't need experienced past performers --------- we need current performers like TAMIM who without experience
has caught the eyes of world cricket. Most test playing countries are using aggresive players in the opening like Gilchrist, Smith, Shevag, Joishuria,Pieterson,etc. So BD needs players like Tamim,Aftab,Ashraful ,Mashrafee to bat in the frontlines.
Old May 28, 2007, 03:22 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Here's another piece from Utpal Shvro in Cricinfo, similar and the gist is somewhat same...

Bangladesh at the crossroads : Miles to go despite World Cup success
Old May 28, 2007, 03:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Here's another piece from Utpal Shvro in Cricinfo, similar and the gist is somewhat same...

Bangladesh at the crossroads : Miles to go despite World Cup success
Your piece should have been at Cricinfo
Old May 28, 2007, 04:36 AM

Nice timely article again Miraz, thanks.

Quote:
Financial security of the first class cricketers is another important issue which BCB must deal professionally. First class players should be able to earn their livelihood through playing cricket, so that they can fully concentrate on the development of the game which in turn will enhance the quality of the domestic cricket.
BCB also should think and work on international player's retirement system ... my comment from another thread ...

Quote:
Well, I think BCB should plan a system of 'Golden Handshake' which financially help players to retire from National team. Something like a package of money + job + insurance for a certain period, which may help them to find a new career in the mean time. Otherwise it's getting ugly as well as hurting teams performance, since as we can see from Mahmud ( chacha ) era. I think BCB has enough money to plan and implement those package according to players contribution. This way it will be more helpful and easy for both players and BCB in my opinion.
Old May 28, 2007, 06:29 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
Your piece should have been at Cricinfo
Cricinfo is not yet ready to accept articles from a freelancer like me.

Thanks PoorFan and others for your comments and suggestions.