facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 23, 2007, 07:07 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default 2nd Test Preview : Batting remains concern for Bangladesh in Whatmore's farewell Test

2nd Test Preview : Batting remains concern for Bangladesh in Whatmore's farewell Test
Preview by Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

After drawing the rain affected first Test in Chittagong with some credible performances, Bangladesh is heading towards the series deciding Final Test at Dhaka with the aim to outshine India, and record their first Test victory against a quality opposition. To achieve this astounding success, Bangladesh must find a way to get to the bottom of their batting problems, which they are facing since their inception as a Test team.

This will be Dav Whatmore’s last Test in charge, and Bangladesh will be keen to offer him a farewell gift with a credible performance on the field. Nothing would be more befitting than a Test win for Whatmore, who worked for four long years to make Bangladesh a competitive side.

Bangladesh can take some positives from Chittagong Test, but to be truthful, the weakness of Bangladesh as a Test team was badly exposed within the time rain allowed play. Some extra-ordinary and unexpected performances from the pace duo, Mashrafe Mortaza and Shahadat Hossain, saved the blushes and prevented the humiliation, but the batting woes that are hunting Bangladesh in Tests are still far from being over.

The generous Bangladeshi batsmen did no harm to their reputation by gifting away wickets against a rather mediocre and inexperienced Indian bowling attack. After rallying parade to the pavilion with some clueless shots, they waited for some miracle to happen. Two fast bowlers, who did their premium duty responsibly, came forward as the savoir of the team. They believed in themselves, effectively mixed aggression with caution and rescued Bangladesh. They showed way to the batsmen, but unfortunately our batsmen are not willing to learn from their mistakes.

However, this is not the end of the story, when opportunity was there to go for a win; batsmen again failed to take up the challenge and decided to shut the shop, even before attempting to win. Obviously, bowlers who batted and bowled with lot of hearts, were not in the scene to lead the chase, and they witnessed how their fellow Tigers settled for a tame draw.

A draw on return to the Test cricket after a break of 13 months is definitely praiseworthy, and Bangladesh deserves some pat in the back for their efforts. However, the way of achieving the draw does not indicate the progress which we were eagerly waiting to see.

Now, Bangladesh must solve their batting mystery to do well in the second Test, which is expected to run for 5 days without much interruption from nature. Batsmen have to take the responsibility for their action; they have to put value to their wickets. They must understand that Test cricket is not a charity show, and presenting wickets to the oppositions is not considered as a noble piece of work.

On paper, India is definite favourite to win the Test and they will come with guns blazing to secure the series. But favourites not necessarily win matches, first Test in Chittagong have revealed several weaknesses of current Indian outfit, and Bangladesh must capitalize on that. At the same time, we must change our approach towards the game. Playing for a draw will never evade defeat in Test cricket, playing for a win can only ensure a positive result, whether it’s win or a fighting draw.

Chittagong Test has made it clear that Team India is largely dependent on their experienced pros. They are carrying all the burdens of expectations and are the key performers by miles, which further reveal the mediocrity of the younger generations of Team India. In batting, Dravid, Sachin and Sourav are big names and India’s success will be completely dependent on their success. If Bangladesh can restrict their domination in the middle, the rest of the batting order will crumble and lack of quality all-rounder in the late order will not help India’s cause.

On the other hand, Indian bowling is lacking bites especially in the absence of Kumble, and the 9th wicket rearguard by Mashrafe and Shahadat in the Chittagong Test has badly exposed the truth. However, question remains whether our top-order batting can utilize the weakness before signing their suicide notes?

No change is expected in the either side. Bangladesh pace bowlers did exceptionally well in Chittagong, and Bangladesh will be looking forward for a similar performance from the spin trio. Return of Kumble will definitely boost India and can make a real difference between the two teams.

The weather is looking good, and better drainage system of Mirpur Stadium will probably ensure play for the best part of the Test. India is having their premier bowler Anil Kumble back for the Test. After the morale boosting draw in Chittagong, Bangladesh is expected to fight in Dhaka and a balanced performance from all departments of the team can only keep Bangladesh on the hunt for their first ever Test series victory against a quality opposition.

Last edited by Miraz; May 24, 2007 at 05:28 AM..

Old May 23, 2007, 07:26 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

It's now our latest bulletin.

Current Tour

India in Bangladesh, 2007
2nd Test Preview : Batting remains concern for Bangladesh

24 May 2007
Preview by Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

After drawing the rain affected first Test in Chittagong with some credible performances, Bangladesh is heading towards the series deciding Final Test at Dhaka with the aim to outshine India, and record their first Test victory against a quality opposition. To achieve this astounding success, Bangladesh must find a way to get to the bottom of their batting problems, which they are facing since their inception as a Test team.

Read the rest of the bulletin »
Old May 23, 2007, 07:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

I do not know what to say about our batting. Most of the batsman are well capable of batting really well. They can play all the shots.Batting in test cricket is not just to play the shot its about judging when to and not to play and I think we are still learning that trick
Old May 23, 2007, 09:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Yep. They need a lot more four- and five-day cricket.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

No game thread yet? Any news on the team?
Old May 23, 2007, 10:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Yeah , what about the team? any chances? SPECIFICALLY is MUSHY in ?
Old May 24, 2007, 02:57 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
Yep. They need a lot more four- and five-day cricket.
Current bunch of batsmen (Bashar, Ashraful, Rajin, Javed, Mashud) have played sufficient number of 4 or 5 day cricket to understand the value of wickets.

IMO, playing 50 more 4-5 days matches will not make any difference, some sessions with psychologists might help of polish the upper chamber.
Old May 24, 2007, 04:05 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Well our "cautious" batting in the 5th day of 1st test didn't look so bad. If we can bat similarly in the next match and put up a good total, we have hope. No test cricket in over a year may be a factor, but I think what these players really lack is a winners' mentality.
Old May 24, 2007, 04:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Hopefully this time we go in with the winning mentality that Whatmore has instilled in us and we actually go for the win.
Old May 24, 2007, 04:40 AM
Test Cricketer

For India- rain remains our main concern
Old May 24, 2007, 05:33 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
For India- rain remains our main concern
Weather will be fine for most part of the Test match and Mirpur has excellent drainage system.

Don't worry mate!
Old May 24, 2007, 05:47 AM
Club Cricketer

And again! Toss is vital for us. We need to bat first to put some pressure one India.
Old May 24, 2007, 06:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Weather will be fine for most part of the Test match and Mirpur has excellent drainage system.

Don't worry mate!
Thats cool....thanks
Old May 24, 2007, 07:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Good post Mr. Miraz.
You pointed out the right thing for BD team. Our batters have to realize the importance of staying in wicket in test matches and scoring runs on the other hand when opportunity arrives. So far, I didn't see any dramatic improvements in our batting ability to play test cricket. And as usual due to the irresponsibility of few of our batsmen, we are in need of a solid batsmen who can stay and score necessarily in the middle overs. So many names have been chanted(Farhad,Tushar), but I don't think that we can make that 'room' for those players by eliminating our 'senior' players, who is staying in the team for the sake of experience and seniority unlike the trio senior batsmen of IND, who are making the difference in their team.
One other thing, if the pitch has few things to offer for our spin trio why can we have another backup/helping hand for Mash/Shahadat. It's will be dilemma if we overuse our pacers and give too much pressure. All 11 of our players need to perform and take same responsibilities and perform accordingly.
Old May 24, 2007, 08:00 AM
Banned

I don’t think there is any doubt about our batting and bowling ability. There are few areas where we can improve. First of all, BD batsmen play too many risky shots for 1 or 2 runs, which are not worthy at all. Secondly, as highlighted by many members, our fielding placement is not attacking enough to put opposition under pressure when new batsmen arrive. And thirdly, we are missing a wicket-taking bowler, someone like murali or malinga.
Its time to hunt nationwide for young players with abnormal hand posture and bowling action. Cricket has evolved over the last few years- bowlers with ordinary bowling actions are predictable and easy to work out. So BD should really look for players like half bent or semi broken arm action, or may be a bowler who is capable of bowing fast and spin, with a combination of right and left hands in the same over of bowling. Isn’t that allowed?
Old May 24, 2007, 08:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry
or may be a bowler who is capable of bowing fast and spin, ...
Sobers like player comes once is life time. Wishing wouldn't do you any good. Start praying.
Old May 24, 2007, 08:28 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Sobers like player comes once is life time. Wishing wouldn't do you any good. Start praying.
What about Andrew Symonds who hardly find places in the Australian Test team.
Old May 24, 2007, 09:38 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Here's the Cricinfo preview

Bangladesh gear up for Whatmore farewell
Old May 24, 2007, 09:41 AM
Cricket Guru

I just read in Ittefaq, it mentioned a pacer will be brought instead of Saqib depending on pitch condition. I believe our selectors not sure about our current batting strength and eliminating another batsmen with a bowler! What you guys think about?
Old May 24, 2007, 09:44 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Good post Mr. Miraz.
You pointed out the right thing for BD team. Our batters have to realize the importance of staying in wicket in test matches and scoring runs on the other hand when opportunity arrives. So far, I didn't see any dramatic improvements in our batting ability to play test cricket. And as usual due to the irresponsibility of few of our batsmen, we are in need of a solid batsmen who can stay and score necessarily in the middle overs. So many names have been chanted(Farhad,Tushar), but I don't think that we can make that 'room' for those players by eliminating our 'senior' players, who is staying in the team for the sake of experience and seniority unlike the trio senior batsmen of IND, who are making the difference in their team.

One other thing, if the pitch has few things to offer for our spin trio why can we have another backup/helping hand for Mash/Shahadat. It's will be dilemma if we overuse our pacers and give too much pressure. All 11 of our players need to perform and take same responsibilities and perform accordingly.
Thanks SS.

To be honest, I strongly feel Bangladesh should prepare a bouncy and sporting wicket at Mirpur and include a third seamer in place of Enamul.

Indians have proven weakness in faster wickets, that's the only way we can expect to get a positive result. Making a spin friendly pitch when Kumble is returning is suicidal, especially when India have Sachin, Sourav and Dravid who can play spin with ease.
Old May 24, 2007, 09:52 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

bangladesh has called up Mohammad Sharif in the squad, according to Faruk he will be a cover for one of the two pacer with fitness concern.

Quote:
"He has been recalled as one of the two seamers who played in the first test in Chittagong has some fitness problems," chief selector Faruk Ahmed told reporters on Thursday.

Faruk did not say whether the fitness concerns were about Mashrafe Mortaza or Shahadat Hossain.

Link

I am worried about the fitness of Mashrafe.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:31 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

If Mohammad Sharif plays in place of Enamul Jr., IMO,the batting strength will significantly increase, as Sharif is now a days a decent batsman.

I hope this will not backfire as our top order might play more reckless shots thinking of the late order strength.

Last edited by Miraz; May 24, 2007 at 01:42 PM..
Old May 24, 2007, 01:38 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

lolz in that case bd's line up::

1.Mashrafee
2.Shahadat
3.Sharif
4.then start the top order
Old May 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

LOL Zaki.
Funny one.. but hey.. our top order aint gonna fail this time around.
We'll fight neck to neck and end up winning,inshallah. *is an optimist,all the way*
Old May 24, 2007, 02:03 PM
Cricket Guru

two pacers both are not hundred percent fit...just bothering me so much...never felt they are so much valuable...as we are so much used to see our batsmen's failure.