facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old December 15, 2011, 10:59 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Default Where are we after 40 years? What can we do to make it better?

Clearly, we are not where we could have been. Countries like Malaysia and South Korea were in similar positions in 1971, but they have since become industrial giants. A want to ask everyone two questions:
  1. What can we do ideally over the next 5/10 years, to take Bangladesh forward?
  2. What steps practically can be undertaken over the next 5/10 years, given the current situation/environment?
Ideas?
Old December 15, 2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

We're screwed. No hope. Doomsday looms.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:28 AM
Cricket Sage

Where are we after 40 years?

I am currently in DC, living in VA.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:32 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Make (apply force if needed) Hasina and Khaleda retire from politics.

Change the culture of we did this we did that to we are doing this we are doing that.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:35 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

as long as we have the two khalamas and their chamchas aro 40 year eo BD akhon jekhane ase sekhanei thakbe..sudhu manus barbe
Old December 15, 2011, 11:51 AM
Cricket Legend

While we could have done better but we have definately come a long way. Our biggest problem has been the population. I mean put this many people in such a small space with as little resources and there will be problems.

Lets face it... No matter what policy u implement and how u do things.. we could never be a malaysia. As I said we could have done better but the responsibility must be shared equally by every citizen of our country and not just the politicians.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
as long as we have the two khalamas and their chamchas aro 40 year eo BD akhon jekhane ase sekhanei thakbe..sudhu manus barbe
I don't believe nothing can be done. Yes, because of the current political situation, we might be able to advance 3 steps instead of 100. But, 3 is greater than 0.

So, let me ask again. What can we do that we are not doing now, to get some positive results, despite the current, horrible situation? kissu hobe na bole boshe thakle asholei kissu hobe na!
Old December 15, 2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
A bag of bones! For the vultures and night wolves.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:46 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

But once this khalamas are gone, their chamchas will take over. Je lau shei kodu i.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
But once this khalamas are gone, their chamchas will take over. Je lau shei kodu i.
Its not the khalammas but the family based politics that is the bane of our bliss. If you think Hasina/Khaleda is bad.. wait till their son's come to power...
Old December 15, 2011, 11:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

hahaha,isn't this the same question we ask when we say "Where we are after 10-11 years of Test status" moner dukkhe hashi
Old December 15, 2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
hahaha,isn't this the same question we ask when we say "Where we are after 10-11 years of Test status" moner dukkhe hashi
With cricket, there is not much we can do individually or collectively. But, for the overall improvements of the country, each of us can do something, no matter how small it is.
Old December 15, 2011, 12:02 PM
Cricket Guru

We go nowhere, just like our cricket. Just some tad improvements here and there.
Old December 15, 2011, 12:13 PM

Come on, bhais and bons! Let us, for one day, leave the skeptic behind and think. A lot of invention happened because the experts did not have an opportunity to tell the inventors that it cannot be done.

There must be some small things each of us can do. Even if it is to buy only Bangladesh-made clothing in stores or help establish a cottage industry or whatever...

I'll not take no for an answer. Not today. You have to come up with some feasible ideas.
Old December 15, 2011, 12:19 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

We aren't doing that bad. For the last couple of years --

1. Economy is growing at more than 5%
2. Garment industry and remittance income is booming.
3. Poverty has been greatly reduced and now you won't find a single citizen dying out of famine.
4. Girl's education is at an all time high and social awareness in areas of child development and family planning has improved.

I wouldn't say we are regressing like our cricket team. We are improving but at a snail's pace. If we have competent leaders like B Chowdhury, Kamal Hossain, Zafar Iqbal, and other technocrats in our govt, our future is bright. Talking about population, we have around 9 million workers working overseas. In some degree, we are taking advantage of our burden.
Old December 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

First thing first, Bangladesh needs proper flood control. Otherwise, all this build up will be merely washed away.
Old December 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
First thing first, Bangladesh needs proper flood control. Otherwise, all this build up will be merely washed away.
No, no, traffic jam on Dhaka first, so that we can go home from the airport as usual.
Old December 15, 2011, 12:47 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

After all the shortcomings and the two disaster named Hasina and Khaleda, and everything else,

we are STILL way better off today than we were 40 years ago.

It could have/should have been much, much better, but the progress report does show a clear upward curve.
Old December 15, 2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Corruption is etched into the mind of the citizen during childhood. Thanks to poverty, survival instincts at the expense of others are encouraged and kick in early on in an individual's lifetime. The result - a culture of deception, ill mannerisms and impatience. The problems are probably deeper rooted than the current political leadership. Ironically, I believe a major overhaul of the political situation is the only way out.

The people are to blame. A nation can only become what its people will let it become. The people are corrupted bigots who are undeserving of democracy. In fact I doubt the people know what's best for them.

Communism could be a good option for a couple of decades, with an even distribution of income and a hard working population contributing to a better future. But even if we do find an honest government, it will lead to a public uproar due to a lack of understanding of what's best for the nation in the long run. The government will then have to respond with a blood bath.

What we really need, therefore, is for one power hungry, patriotic individual to rise from the heaps of despair, say enough is enough, form an army, raid the homes of political powerhouses and take prisoners, then rule the nation with an iron fist. We need this honest, no-nonsense dictator to *whip* the bull crap out of the citizens and to drive them to a better economy and a better society in general.

Of course, when (s)he begins to treat the nation as her/his property in thirty years, we should assassinate her/him and form a democratic government. But by then, we will have better employment, better roads and transportation, food and better health care for everyone, booming industries, greater international trade, a far superior literacy rate and finally be ready for democracy.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old December 15, 2011, 12:56 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Corruption is etched into the mind of the citizen during childhood. Thanks to poverty, survival instincts at the expense of others are encouraged and kick in early on in an individual's lifetime. The result - a culture of deception, ill mannerisms and impatience. The problems are probably deeper rooted than the current political leadership. Ironically, I believe a major overhaul of the political situation is the only way out.

The people are to blame. A nation can only become what its people will let it become. The people are corrupted bigots who are undeserving of democracy. In fact I doubt the people know what's best for them.

Communism could be a good option for a couple of decades, with an even distribution of income and a hard working population contributing to a better future. But even if we do find an honest government, it will lead to a public uproar due to a lack of understanding of what's best for the nation in the long run. The government will then have to respond with a blood bath.

What we really need, therefore, is for one power hungry, patriotic individual to rise from the heaps of despair, say enough is enough, form an army, raid the homes of political powerhouses and take prisoners, then rule the nation with an iron fist. We need this honest, no-nonsense dictator to *whip* the bull crap out of the citizens and to drive them to a better economy and a better society in general.

Of course, when (s)he begins to treat the nation as her/his property in thirty years, we should assassinate her/him and form a democratic government. But by then, we will have better employment, better roads and transportation, food and better health care for everyone, booming industries, greater international trade, a far superior literacy rate and finally be ready for democracy.

I would disagree with few points you made. Bangladesh still depends a lot on Foreign Aid and UN Funding. If we become either communist or instill a dictatorship, we can kiss those billion dollars aids goodbye.

Very soon, the EU countries will stop buying our RMGs due to ethical issues. Our 5000 garment factories will start closing one by one and million more people will be unemployed. This is the perfect recipe for national disaster and becoming Sudan/Somalia.
Old December 15, 2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:

I guess you are saying that we need a poor man's Mahatir Mohammad. That is not a bad wish and might even happen one day. But, for today, I would like to focus on practical, feasible ideas. Something we can do, irrespective of who is in power or what the situation is. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a step. I want each of us to take one step. At least.

As I already said, I am unwilling to take no for an answer. Let us come up with some doable ideas and implement them. Don't worry. They don't have to be big.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:36 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
I guess you are saying that we need a poor man's Mahatir Mohammad. That is not a bad wish and might even happen one day. But, for today, I would like to focus on practical, feasible ideas. Something we can do, irrespective of who is in power or what the situation is. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a step. I want each of us to take one step. At least.

As I already said, I am unwilling to take no for an answer. Let us come up with some doable ideas and implement them. Don't worry. They don't have to be big.
What ATMR's describing is a poor man's Mao Zedong. Raise an army, defeat the warlords, unite the country and rule with an iron fist. There may be mistakes (great leap forward, etc), there might be foreign external pressure and posterity may paint him as a monster but he would have left the country in a more stable condition, ripe for 'opening up' economically - as Deng Xiaoping started to do after Mao - and maybe the advent of democracy.

Shuziburo bhai/uncle, you've asked for suggestions which can make small, realistic changes. As a law student, the first ideas that come to mind relate to an overhaul of the legal system. It can begin with relatively small improvements - better law reporting, encouraging more in-depth legal research in the country and establishing quality legal academic journals. In the US and UK, Law Reviews have a profound impact on the teaching of law and, in some exceptional cases, on actual judgments and judicial deliberations as well. It can also act as a forum for discussion and debate on contentious legal topics, which will eventually spill over into the public domain and catch the attention of law makers. (Of course, for the latter to happen, our government and opposition law-makers would have to spend more time legislating rather than boycotting or going on interminable recesses....)

High quality legal scholarship and debate helps keep the law current and dynamic and addresses some of its lacunae. Just look at how Roe v Wade is constantly discussed in the US, despite the number of years that have elapsed since that judgment was handed down. In the UK, the same is happening with the Human Rights Act 1998. But how many in Bangladesh discuss how outdated our Penal Codes and our laws of evidence are?

Such improvements are essential for our progress. Unfortunately most of our Advocates and Barristers become embroiled in politics.
Old December 16, 2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:

Very well said.

Quote:

What we really need is ... strictly stay out of those ideas. Good or bad, one iron fist never works since mass are not involved in building, support and protect any system. It is impossible for one [or few] good/perfect to look after each and every issue, corner of the country, which eventually lead that person surrounded by crooks in a short time. In that sense, the iron fist has to be made of mass people, has to be burned and shaped for years, over and over again, until it become a system no matter who is in charge. More it takes time, more long the people have to straggle, till then its a long uphill task for people, only if they really are up for it. Korea, Malaysia didnt shine because of one iron fist, rather their people were well aware of their need and betterment, and they really were up for it for years too.
Old December 15, 2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

Agree with you except the first point..our neighbor Burma is much better off without those give and take Foreign aid and UN funding. Burma has been improving faster than BD because of Burma's strict population control.

What ever improvement we have in last 40 years, we are shamefully the least in the region. Even now-a-days, Bhutan is helping us in Hydro-Electric project.

However, I strongly agree with ATMR. We must change our ill political culture before we capture and sustain a real and holistic economic growth. But at the end, thieves never listen to the Preachers like ATMR because they like to continue their thivery for a better loathsome life.
Old December 15, 2011, 04:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Clearly, we are not where we could have been. Countries like Malaysia and South Korea were in similar positions in 1971, but they have since become industrial giants. A want to ask everyone two questions:
  1. What can we do ideally over the next 5/10 years, to take Bangladesh forward?
  2. What steps practically can be undertaken over the next 5/10 years, given the current situation/environment?
Ideas?
Nice thread shuziburo-da.

Here is what I shared in "On The 40th Victory Day of Bangladesh" thread:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem!!!~
SubhanAllah, Alhamdulillah, Allahu Akbar!!!

Let's do something for our beloved BANGLADESH, inshAllah!
Big or small - it doesn't matter!

Here is the list of ideas that can be implemented at an individual or a collective (team-effort) level: (Feel free to share it with others!)

~ KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!~
~Don't need to wait till you become someone somewhere someday!!!~

- Help out our poor relatives --> and yes, EVERYONE has 'em! (by sponsoring a child's education and so on)

- Develop the area (district) of Bangladesh that we come from (or live in)!
---------> i.e. streets, cricket academy, health clinic, basic adult school, open a computer trainning center, you name it! Trust me, we need help in every sector!

- Open a business in Bangladesh to create jobs!

- Open an institution in Bangladesh to create opportunities for our youth/students!

- Open a non-profit organization (for adult education, clean water projects, sanitation etc.)

- Invest/Donate our time, intellects, expertise, ideas, resources etc. for developing Bangladesh

- Collaborate our work/institution/academy with Bangladesh

--------->Idea 1: If we are in academia of any foreign institutions (UK, US, CAN, AUS etc), we can collaborate with Bangladeshi Universities

--------->Idea 2: During a summer time, we can sponser a project and bring foreign exchange students in Bangladesh. It can increase the awareness of Bangladesh.

--------->Topics of the project may include: Arts, science, culture, language, engineering projects, landscape, environment (pretty much anything!)

--------->Idea 3: Similar to Sundarban study case (can't remember, but I read it in banglanews24.com)

- etc. etc. etc.

- Add your own idea and please share it with us.

~NOW~

LOOK at your LEFT, LOOK at your RIGHT, Now LOOK at yourself in the MIRROR and Point your index finger towards it!
and YES, YOU ARE THE ONE TO CHANGE BANGLADESH!!!

SO, JUST DO IT!!!

Let's change Bangladesh one life at a time, inshAllah!!!

As a reminder to both myself and everyone else, I'll leave you with this thought tonight...

Last edited by idrinkh2O; December 15, 2011 at 10:32 PM..