facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 6, 2009, 10:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

I'm using this Acer laptop for last 4 years. It has given me great service all these days. But recently i'm having some problem with it.

The laptop gets heated too quickly and if i use it/keep it on for couple of hours in a row, it turns itself off automatically.

Is it because the cooling fan is not working properly??
Does laptops even have cooling fan inside them??
Or is it some battery related problem??
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Old July 6, 2009, 11:42 AM
Cricket Sage

i have a friend who's computer goes on stand by if it heats up too much, but she has a think pad. rabz bhai this is what i got after Googling a bit. hope this helps.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1040616AAH3Uws
Old July 6, 2009, 12:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Rabz bhai, the laptop turns itself off if it overheats. Yes there's a cooling fan in laptops, but some laptops have been built with poor cooling system. As a result, it overheats. I have a dell laptop at home which would do the same as your Acer will do.

I saw something like a docking station for a laptop, except that the station is for keeping the laptop cool. It has a fan underneath, and you basically dock your laptop on it. It's a good way of getting around the overheating issue. Check it out in the computer stores in Dhaka, you'll find something like this.
Old July 6, 2009, 12:47 PM

Rabz, in Bangladesh a big problem with laptops is the accumulation of sand and lint inside which blocks the airflow and severely affects cooling. Take your laptop to any computer store and chances are that they'll give it a cleaning (they call it 'servicing') for Tk.1000.... after that you'll see an improvement.

A laptop (also desktops) shutdown automatically when it reaches a critical temperature... in a compaq v2000 it was 100'C.

the opposite thing happens on my VAIO in that its quite clean inside, but the vents, heat pipes and the exterior gets very hot to the point where this thing can never be a "lap"-top. However, according to Sony, and forums online - this is a design issue that enables internal heat to dissipitate effectively, keeping the circuitry at a non-critical temperature. And in the past 2 years I havent once faced any shutdown issues due to heat, despite my laptop being a crotch cooker.

Some general tips about laptops in BD...

1.since room temperature is already high, ambient temperatures in laptops can exceed 50'C when its on. Its always a good idea to operate them in an A/C room or so.

2. Always make sure there is a hard, solid surface that your laptop sits on - i.e never a bed, or pillow, or table cloth. The cloth/bed things are bad conductors of heat and give minimal separation between the vent at the bottom, and the surface - which keeps the heat trapped under your laptop. I currently keep my laptop on a ceramic floor tile, atop a cushioned dining room chair beside my bed for this reason. A solid surface allows the laptop to sit with a small separation underneath it for air circulation, as well as more effective conduction of heat through the solid material as well.
Old July 6, 2009, 12:52 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Thanks all of you for your help. Yeah, i also thought its happening cuz of that overheating thing.
I'm too lazy to take it to the shops, thats why i ask here

But i guess now i'd have to do something about it.
I'm planning to buy a new laptop and giving this one to my younger sister. But before i do give it to her, i have to fix this thing. Cant give her a broken laptop, can i?

Thanks Ammar for the reference. I'd make sure to check out for VIAO next time i buy my laptop, keeping your reference in my mind.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old July 6, 2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Thanks Ammar for the reference. I'd make sure to check out for VIAO next time i buy my laptop, keeping your reference in my mind.
I wouldnt recommend a vaio. My one is a hand-me-down from my gf, so I'm stuck with it. Its clean inside because every 4-5 months I open it up myself and dust it around with a thin paintbrush to get rid of the "jhul". If I had my choice I'd go with a Dell or Acer in Bangladesh. HP-Compaq is too flashy or expensive; and too many shopkeepers complain about it in BD; But, if I was anywhere else I'd say HP is great, especially their customer service in US/Canada/Aus is exceptional!
Old July 6, 2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
I wouldnt recommend a vaio. My one is a hand-me-down from my gf, so I'm stuck with it. If I had my choice I'd go with a Dell or Acer in Bangladesh. HP-Compaq is too flashy or expensive; and too many shopkeepers complain about it in BD; But, if I was anywhere else I'd say HP is great, especially their customer service in US/Canada/Aus is exceptional!
I would concur with Ammark. I too have a Vaio and the price to performance ratio is just not worth it. You can get a comparable machine at a much lower price from other vendors and accessories are cheaper and easily available. For example, I needed to upgrade my battery so that I would not have to recharge it before I can say "I have to recharge it" and I could not find a 3rd party vendor. Sony charges too damned much. My wife just purchased a 3rd party battery for her MacBook Pro and she paid 1/2 of what I will need to pay for my Sony battery.

I have decided to not do anything and just get a Dell or equivalent when I next upgrade.
Old July 6, 2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I have decided to not do anything and just get a Dell or equivalent when I next upgrade.
Can't beat dell. I have an Inspiron E1705 hand me down too.... it needed a keyboard replacement that cost me $27 on ebay more than a year ago. Its battery's life has ended so I cant exactly sell it off at a good price here till I get a new one off ebay for $45. Sadly I cant find anyone who can buy and bring it for me from an ebay-served country (hint, hint!!). Dell probably has the most number of replacement parts for cheap available on ebay. Gotta hand it to them chinese sellers!
Old July 6, 2009, 05:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Quote:
I wouldnt recommend a vaio. My one is a hand-me-down from my gf, so I'm stuck with it. Its clean inside because every 4-5 months I open it up myself and dust it around with a thin paintbrush to get rid of the "jhul". If I had my choice I'd go with a Dell or Acer in Bangladesh. HP-Compaq is too flashy or expensive; and too many shopkeepers complain about it in BD; But, if I was anywhere else I'd say HP is great, especially their customer service in US/Canada/Aus is exceptional!
This is the nth post where ammarda is DESPERATE to convince us he has a girlfriend. Wow! Just wow.

Another one:

Quote:
My gf tells me this guy's name is Mumtaz. As for the model, I can see her age like in a high-speed movie... its not pretty.

Frankly I'm annoyed that some here are taking this guy up as the next poster boy and boy-wonder of British-Bangladeshi individuals to make it being signed on to a major record label. Sure, he's probably the first "pop" artist, but I think Deeder and Sam Zaman of Asian Dub Foundation and State of Bengal shouldnt go unnoticed. In fact they're the Rage Against the Machine of the Asian music scene and are an inspiration to many. Just Check these out:
Old July 6, 2009, 07:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

How many posts GB had to prove himself flaccid to Orpheous?
Old July 6, 2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
This is the nth post where ammarda is DESPERATE to convince us he has a girlfriend. Wow! Just wow.
jealous, GB? You read too much into things I write. You should find a new hobby, like twiddling your thumbs perhaps.
Old July 7, 2009, 12:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
jealous, GB? You read too much into things I write. You should find a new hobby, like twiddling your thumbs perhaps.
Lol, mod?
Old July 7, 2009, 03:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

If I understand correctly, any addiction is haram. So shouldn't internet browsing for the sole purpose of pleasure (ie posting in Banglacricket or reading other posts) be harm also?

Countless hours on the desk also contribute to health problems. So, something to think about for all.
Old July 8, 2009, 08:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
If I understand correctly, any addiction is haram. So shouldn't internet browsing for the sole purpose of pleasure (ie posting in Banglacricket or reading other posts) be harm also?

Countless hours on the desk also contribute to health problems. So, something to think about for all.

I am addicted to talking about Islam, is that haraam?

about your comment being addicted to BC, this is just a technical way of keeping Rifat out of BC it is ok bhai, my summer course is starting very soon and most probably i will not have time to preach my views unto you guys...what type of Muslim starts commenting after a quranic verse has been recited..?

"oh no! what have i done"

"and what type of muslim admits to praying 5 times a day and then invites other brother to be in a relationship with another women outside of wedlock.."?

as baba Ali says...
Quote:
JOKE
!!!!

my job: make halaal easy, make Islam fun and beneficial for everyone and make the haraam hard..not the other way around! and remind people when appropriate to please my creator for true happiness both in this life and the hereafter!

Salaam, Rifat
Old July 8, 2009, 08:29 PM
Cricket Sage

how did fazal mamu became BC Mamu?
Old July 8, 2009, 08:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
I am addicted to talking about Islam, is that haraam?
I think that is an excuse. Your inclination to speak about a religionso often is actually a defense mechanism at play. You feel the need to halalize your actions, hence you would go an extra mile just to appear to be doing something very pious. This is a reaction formation by your unconscious mind to suppress the guilt you would face otherwise had you realized what you gotten yourself into.

Having said that, I enjoy your presence here very much. And what I wrote above is pure crap. lol
Old July 9, 2009, 03:34 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Orpheus bhai:

Addiction is obsession to something without which you can't do at all. Like addiction to alcohol, p***, video games etc.

According to this simple definition, spending time at BC could be called an addiction, but this addiction is different than the addictions I have mentioned, because it has more to do with our passion. If today BD loses test status, God forbid, and stop playing cricket, I will automatically not visit BC as frequently as I do now. But a drug addict can't stop taking drug even if he has no money at all. Also BC addiction does not harm my religious life, while a drug addict destroys his religious life.

From the Islamic viewpoint, even if spending time at BC or following cricket can't be called an addiction outright, it can be termed as something that brings no benefit for us in either worlds (duniya or hereafter). Prophet has greatly discouraged us from engaging in activities that has no worldly or spiritual values. And more importantly, Muslims have been told to remember Allah every moment of their life, and this following cricket is something that keep us away from actively remembering Allah. Prophet said, "In Jannah, people will have no regret except for those moments in duniya that they did not spend remembering Allah".

Regarding the health problems, we should care too. Our body parts are not our own properties; this is precisely the reason we are not allowed to force any of our body parts any physical (eg. using computers even when eyes are burning) or spiritual harm (eg. using eye deliberately to look at non-mahram girls). And every body part will be given the right to bear witness against us in the hereafter, so we should be carefully using our body parts so that they can't go against us in the hereafter and bring agony.

This is coming from a guy who always wishes to strengthen his weak imaan. I wouldn't have posted the massage had you not asked it, becasue you only preach what you practice.

Last edited by BD-Shardul; July 9, 2009 at 03:40 AM..
Old July 15, 2009, 09:50 AM
Cricket Guru

I made a post here yesterday. Can't find it anymore. Where is it?

If it has been removed, one would expect the basic courtesy of letting the member know that their post has been removed.
Old July 15, 2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I made a post here yesterday. Can't find it anymore. Where is it?

If it has been removed, one would expect the basic courtesy of letting the member know that their post has been removed.
So many infringements have occurred recently that this probably felt through the cracks.

But I believe you may have run afoul of this:

A.1.6: Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
Old July 15, 2009, 02:58 PM
Cricket Guru

And nobody felt that it's important to at least inform the member?

Sometimes I regret my return to BC.
Old July 15, 2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
And nobody felt that it's important to at least inform the member?

Sometimes I regret my return to BC.
Then don't.

Cut volunteers some freaking slack

As myself.
Old July 15, 2009, 03:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Then don't.

Cut volunteers some freaking slack

As myself.
Don't what? Return?

Be clear.
Old July 16, 2009, 01:02 AM
Cricket Savant

What is the fastest way to be a guru for me?
Old July 16, 2009, 01:09 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
be online @BC every single match bd plays in this tour and few future ones while watching the game live and post every single ball details...it could be more like a ci live score update kinda thing plus take part of every discussuion why ash su*k more now and do your usual business in fc...that woukd do it! ask nadim if you don't bekieve me!! ...lol
Old July 16, 2009, 01:13 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Post like naddu-guddu and seek advice from him.