facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 18, 2009, 04:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Smile KKR sack Buchanan

"John Buchanan's stint as the Kolkata Knight Riders' coach has ended after the franchise released him from his contract. Buchanan has a short-term coaching assignment coming up with the England board, and he said he wanted to concentrate on his coaching and corporate consulting work..." Cricinfo

Full Story: Buchanan and Kolkata part ways

This is good news for our most favourite IPL club and hopefully Mashrafe plays more games under a new coach and team management in 2010. Whatmore is a strong contender for the job.. making it even better for Bangladeshi players to play for KKR because we all know how good and sincere Whatmore was for Bangladesh.

What do you guys think?

Old June 18, 2009, 05:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Can't say didn't see this coming. That said, the Bollywood @$$clown will fail again next season, no matter who he hires.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 18, 2009, 05:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Whatmore is a big fan of Shakib. I remember whilst leaving he told the media to "watch out for Shakib and Mehrab."
Old June 18, 2009, 05:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Though too early to comment, I don't think KKR gonna take Mashrafee again. Mash had only 1 year contract with KKR, that means KKR has to bid for him again. If Mash has any chance to play IPL again, that has to come from Punjab through Yuvraj-Mash link. But chances are very slim here too.

Ashraful has 2 year contract with Mumbai Indians. So, he will be there in the next years IPL at least to warm the benches if not play more than this year.
Old June 18, 2009, 05:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Umar Gull will be available for KKR next season . So Mashrafee can kiss goodbye to KKR and IPL .
Old June 18, 2009, 06:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

There is no confirmation yet about the fate of Buchanan's support staff, which included

Matthew Mott (assistant head coach),
Andy Bichel (bowling coach),
Wade Seccombe (wicket-keeping coach),
John Deeble (fielding coach),
Brad Murphy (assistant coach),
Michael Buchanan (strength trainer), who is Buchanan's son,
Andrew Leipus (physio) and
Adrian Le Roux (trainer).

Old June 18, 2009, 06:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Did they pay Mash all that money for only one season? Amazing!

Well, Ash will have another 5 weeks stint there in March/April, if it is a 2 yr contract and he might play a couple of games, anything can happen in a year's time.
Old June 18, 2009, 08:06 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
There is no confirmation yet about the fate of Buchanan's support staff, which included

Buchanan couldn't find someone to coach tossing ?
Old June 18, 2009, 08:08 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule

Something backfired. Safety-net maybe. I remember great Windies and Aussie teams without coaches. Captains like Lloyd and Ian Chappell were more than enough to get the job done. Nijer shathe shara gushtitao dobalo. Bravo Buxie! ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 18, 2009 at 09:19 AM..
Old June 18, 2009, 09:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I also want to find out did KKR pay Mash his dues? If my calculation is correct then it ends up with $488,571.43. 13 games 80%, 1 game full amount of $42,857.14. That is all matters to me.

Did he have one year contract of $600,000.00 or 2 year contract?
Old June 18, 2009, 09:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
Buchanan couldn't find someone to coach tossing ?
I think, he was preparing his bhatija for the tossing coach job for the next year.
He must be disappointed now. poor soul!
Old June 18, 2009, 09:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I also want to find out did KKR pay Mash his dues? If my calculation is correct then it ends up with $488,571.43. 13 games 80%, 1 game full amount of $42,857.14. That is all matters to me.

Did he have one year contract of $600,000.00 or 2 year contract?
Mash had a one year contract.
ASH has two year contract and the only Bangladeshi who is definitely gonna be there in the next IPL.
Old June 18, 2009, 09:54 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
Umar Gull will be available for KKR next season . So Mashrafee can kiss goodbye to KKR and IPL .
How? Next IPL will be in India.
--
At least SRK is more intelligent to understand the root cause faster than BCB.
Old June 18, 2009, 10:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

They might resign mash to obviously a minimum value contract. IF i were mash, id still take it.

But yea if gul is available, any sane person would choose gul.
Old June 18, 2009, 10:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

now BCB will follow suit
Old June 18, 2009, 07:42 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Ami khub khooshi holam!
Old June 18, 2009, 09:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Bhukha Naan had to go, it was definitely on the card.
Old June 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

finally. he is gone.
Old June 20, 2009, 03:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

I am afraid Lipu and co. will try to make the coach for Bangladesh.
Old June 26, 2009, 12:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

they should try multiple coaches, head coaches
Old June 29, 2009, 09:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

I guess the game has become a little more complex to a test team not to have a coach- a person dedicated to watching hours of film on the opposition, strategising and managing the support staff. Imagine heaping that responsibility to ASH or MASH, on top of what they have to do on and off the feild. As far as Buchanan is concerned, he appeared to have gone off the deep-end with his 'multiple-captain theory' caper. Was he just innovating for the sake of innovating- extending the legend of his maverick? I believe Shane Warne once commented, that as far he was concerned, a coach is something that takes you from the hotel to the cricket feild. Buchanan mania was obviously not universal in the baggy green community. Nothing like the best crop of cricketers in a multiple generations to peak at the same time to make their coach look brilliant.
Old June 29, 2009, 10:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinausagi
I guess the game has become a little more complex to a test team not to have a coach- a person dedicated to watching hours of film on the opposition, strategising and managing the support staff. Imagine heaping that responsibility to ASH or MASH, on top of what they have to do on and off the feild. As far as Buchanan is concerned, he appeared to have gone off the deep-end with his 'multiple-captain theory' caper. Was he just innovating for the sake of innovating- extending the legend of his maverick? I believe Shane Warne once commented, that as far he was concerned, a coach is something that takes you from the hotel to the cricket feild. Buchanan mania was obviously not universal in the baggy green community. Nothing like the best crop of cricketers in a multiple generations to peak at the same time to make their coach look brilliant.
Three plus years not posting then ... welcome back.

Multiple-captain theory is something I like. Since I was a fan of Baseball once upon a time, watch American Football year in year out, and at times teach project and Strategic management; I think this can work in Cricket but needs a different mindset. Project leader is the coach. He has to assign out duties to his subordinates. The more he can divide the workload the better his subordinates can focus on their job.

In Cricket, while batting we don't need a captain. The coach can instruct who to bat in what situation. Captaincy is required in fielding and bowling.
Football:
If Secondary can adjust, blitz, in line with the linemen the opposition Quarter Back, Running Backs would have a tough time all day long. However, the whole unit must work together. And each team have a secondary captain, linemen captain etc. Similarly Basketball also has offensive and defensive captains.

Now in cricket, same thing can be devised if rolls can be established, practiced and implemented. Bowlers must bowl according to the field and situations. One can devise signs like Baseball so that the fielders know exactly what to expect. And this can be done faster so that unlike Ricky Pontings team we are not penalized for over-rate.
Old June 29, 2009, 10:26 AM
Cricket Savant

For the record: I didn't/don't like Buchanan.

More fuel for disliking: http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/...ry/410893.html
Old July 3, 2009, 09:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Reductionist comparison of apples and oranges with little to no practical value.

Multiple captaincy with alternate captains makes sense when it comes to sports with separate units and unlimited substitution of individual or combination of players. American football, basketball, hockey and lacrosse for example.

In cricket, that theory makes no sense at all. We have 11 players pretty much continuously on the field, barring temporary and occasional fielding substitutions, and 2 batsmen in the middle. The captain can always confer with other players in his team, as he often does, in order to consolidate and alter strategy and tactics according to match situation. Batsmen can also confer in the middle and receive dressing room instructions through the 12th man. Under those circumstances, single captaincy is far more conducive to unit cohesion.

Baseball type signaling also doesn't apply to cricket. No need for signals when you can directly talk and whisper to the bowler. But the keeper can develop an "on the fly" cryptic system with the bowler in theory, and hope that the bowler can deliver. Tough when you have a run up and trying to focus. An internal debate is the last thing you need then.

Baseball pitchers can signal a rejection of the signal because they're stationary on the mound as the catcher is behind home plate. How can a cricket bowler do that during his run up? How can a keeper adjust his distance and angles from the time it takes to signal, get the bowler's response while he's running, and make his own physical and mental adjustments after that?

Last edited by Sohel; July 3, 2009 at 09:50 AM..
Old July 4, 2009, 11:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
Though too early to comment, I don't think KKR gonna take Mashrafee again. Mash had only 1 year contract with KKR, that means KKR has to bid for him again. If Mash has any chance to play IPL again, that has to come from Punjab through Yuvraj-Mash link. But chances are very slim here too.

Ashraful has 2 year contract with Mumbai Indians. So, he will be there in the next years IPL at least to warm the benches if not play more than this year.
The over that Mash bowled for KKR against Deccan Chargers...Mash will be lucky if he gets an indian visa to see next years IPL.