facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 8, 2019, 11:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey
Default Bangladesh reaping the results of pre-historic team selection and strategy.

When England got kicked out of the previous world cup, they looked at modern day cricket and tried to understand what was bothering them. They realized a few things:

1) You need your tail-enders to fire
2) Leggies are a must
3) You need batsmen that can lift you to 350+ often
4) You don't need swing bowlers like Broad and Anderson

And the very team that we knocked out in the last world cup outplayed us in CT 2017 and WC 2019. Outplayed is being generous here. At the same time we deluded ourselves by saying the WC 2015 performance was superb.

Yes we actually had a good batting plan at the time. We had Riad at 4 to play the role of Root, we had 2 fast bowlers who could bowl at 140+ and Mash was still 135ish at the time. Sabbir was an exciting finisher at the time. Fast forward 4 years we seemed to have gone no where

1) We are still thinking of getting into the world stage with medium-pace bowlers. The best bowlers so far in this tournament include Lockie, Rabada, Starc, Bumrah, Archer. And guess what? These guys crank up 140 and even 150. And us? We have a strike bowler who bowls at 120 and a couple of others whose pace are nothing special.

2) No wrist spinners

3) We still have this policy of SLA can't bowl to lefties and Offies cant bowl to RHB

4) We don't have power-hitters. Need to have batsman who can get you a 50 from 30. Instead we have Tamim who barely ever scores at 80-SR. I am not picking on him but in modern day cricket you need your batsmen to score at 100+ SR. And Riad? Did you guys see the dude last 2 days? He had no intent. He was dead-batting everything

5) One of the key elements of modern day cricket is improved fitness which allows batsmen to run harder. But that doesn't seem to apply to our cricketers. Yesterday England scored extra 30 runs because they ran harder. BD on the other hand are reliant on boundaries only and nothing else. If the boundaries dont come, they dont try to run hard between the overs. FFS 5 singles means 5 extra run.

6) Mediocre or slowpoke fielders: Did you guys see how much of a liability are fielders like Riad, Mithun or Mash? Soumya, Miraz, Litton, Sabbir, Shakib are pretty good fielders. Tamim is a bit slow imo. You can't field well with slowpokes.

When I look at this team, I really wonder. What is the difference between this team of 2019 and teams of 2000-2009. Looks like we are still living in the past where no emphasies on wrist spinners, fielding, power hitting and putting pressure on the fielders by running hard.

Old June 9, 2019, 01:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Excellent write-up MHRAM. Well put.
Old June 9, 2019, 01:17 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Excellent! FP material!

What is even sadder is that we have our core in their prime..this was the WC for us may be pull a SL 96. after this WC the core will degrade and I doubt we will qualify automatically for the 2023 WC, Might even miss the WC
Old June 9, 2019, 01:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Excellent! FP material!

What is even sadder is that we have our core in their prime..this was the WC for us may be pull a SL 96. after this WC the core will degrade and I doubt we will qualify automatically for the 2023 WC, Might even miss the WC
Core will play in the next world cup.

Shakib Mushy very fit and should make it. Tamim and Riad too.

But I don't think our core is doing outstandingly great. I don't think Litton Soumya Mosaddek Yasir Afif Saifuddin Miraz will be bad options heading in the future. They are fitter and better in the field.
Old June 9, 2019, 02:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Excellent! FP material!

By that time we will have found some more youngsters like Yasir Ali and the current crop of Miraz, Soumya , Saifuddin , Fizz , Mosaddek , Shadman will become better, even the seniors of today were not that great when they debuted. There will be a transition period but I feel our structure is more capable of producing talent than 10-20 years ago
Old June 9, 2019, 02:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Excellent and spot on observation!
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old June 9, 2019, 02:41 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
Core will play in the next world cup.

Shakib Mushy very fit and should make it. Tamim and Riad too.

But I don't think our core is doing outstandingly great. I don't think Litton Soumya Mosaddek Yasir Afif Saifuddin Miraz will be bad options heading in the future. They are fitter and better in the field.
I dont think shakib will have any motivation to play for BD after this WC is over. His body language feels like he knows this is his last hurrah and he wants to give all in it. after the WC I think he'll play 2/3 more years for BD and then retire and play T20 leagues

Tamim already huffs and puffs, I doubt he'll survive 4 more years in Int cricket

I am not even sure if I would want a 37 year old mullah in next WC even if he by some miracle manages to stay relevant

Only Mushy I think might survive to next WC. if he still hogs the WK position that will do more harm than good for us
Old June 9, 2019, 02:43 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat_02
By that time we will have found some more youngsters like Yasir Ali and the current crop of Miraz, Soumya , Saifuddin , Fizz , Mosaddek , Shadman will become better, even the seniors of today were not that great when they debuted. There will be a transition period but I feel our structure is more capable of producing talent than 10-20 years ago
Nasir was the messiah to lead us. the next shakib..after that I have almost 0 faith in any youngsters..4 year later we can comeback to this discussion
Old June 9, 2019, 04:06 AM
BD-SL 2017 - LOI Winner

Talent and cricketing brain is two different things. Only with talent you can't progress that far. You need good cricketing brain also. Ashraful was one of the most talented cricketer we ever had but you all know about his cricketing brain....We have some talented player but lack of intelligence costing us big time.
Old June 12, 2019, 03:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-Eye
Talent and cricketing brain is two different things. Only with talent you can't progress that far. You need good cricketing brain also. Ashraful was one of the most talented cricketer we ever had but you all know about his cricketing brain....We have some talented player but lack of intelligence costing us big time.
Cricketing brain is more of a cultural thing. Jodi laiga jaay mentality does not help much. Selecting captain, keeper, player, team long since been influenced by bureaucracy and suddenly I wake up to find everything systematically perfect is an improbable fantasy.
Old June 12, 2019, 03:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Can you be self-less? NO. Can you bite the bullet for the team? NO. Can you sacrifice your own gain for the team? NO.

That is what we subcontinent people are like (90% of the time).
Old June 13, 2019, 03:35 AM
Cricket Legend

What I fear is that when SL's core senior players were on their prime, they won a WC. Our core senior players are also in their prime, WC trophy is not going to come by the look of things. Today, SL regressed so much that winning against AFG makes them jump for joy. When our senior retires, we might be worst off than lanka. Sad actually ...
Old June 13, 2019, 06:10 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
What I fear is that when SL's core senior players were on their prime, they won a WC. Our core senior players are also in their prime, WC trophy is not going to come by the look of things. Today, SL regressed so much that winning against AFG makes them jump for joy. When our senior retires, we might be worst off than lanka. Sad actually ...
When SL core players were on their prime they went to the final but did not win it.

SL won the world cup with two of their initial legends(ranatunga & desilva) on their prime and 3 of their future legends(sanath,murali & vass) just starting to get their feet.

Same was for pak also..these shows you need both prime legends and future legends
Old June 13, 2019, 12:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
Unfortunately our bowlers are not at form. Amd also wr dont have a settled team strategy.

I still remwmber the SL team. That won world cup.

Jayasuriya and Kaluwithirana to open and go on attack.
The gurusinha to join the party....
De silva played strokes too.... Rantunga played rotate the strike game.
Then was roshan mahanama and tilkeratne dilshan...... If SL was chasing they had job of finishing with a very low RR. Or sometimes. If wickets fell early... They had to ensure they play full 50.
Then the 4 bowlers.... Vaas, dharmasena, wikramasinghe and murali.
Vaas could hit also dharmasena.
Now they had a batting line up where everyone knew their roles... Plan a b and c.
Again there bowling was good two. Vaas was wicket taker. Wikramasinghe had good control. Murali was wicket taker. Dharmasena bowled tightly. And jayasuriya was a good 5th bowler whio had knack of wicket taking. If needed de silva bowled a few.

But we still dont have our roles or syrategies and specially our bowling is in complete disbarray