facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 8, 2007, 12:59 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Aftab disobeyed instructions!

Fitness day
TigerCricket.com
08-January-2007

The national cricketers underwent an extensive 6-hour fitness session at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur today (Monday) with 17 out of the 24 players who were scheduled to report joining the day’s programme.

Laft-arm spinner Mohammad Rafique, fast bowlers Mashrafee Bin Mortaza, Shahadat Hossain and Tapash Baishya and wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim did not attend training complaining of flu while Aftab Ahmed failed to arrive in Dhaka from his native Chittagong because of the countrywide blockade. Aftab’s Chittagong mate Nafis Iqbal was the other player not joining training as he has a recurrent knee injury.

Today’s training of the Tigers was the first after the Eid and New Year’s break and the focus was on speed, agility and reaction time under the supervision of fitness coach Paul Chapman with coach Dav Whatmore, assistant coach Mohammad Salahuddin and physio Paul Close monitoring the various tests conducted indoors and outdoors.

Coach Whatmore, physio Close and fitness coach Chapman spoke to the reporters present during a break in training.

Dav Whatmore

Whether he was focusing on the tour of Zimbabwe or the World Cup 2007
It’s hard to look into one without thinking of the other. I think we have to look at both. It’s very close isn’t it? You get just one week after returning from Zimbabwe and then you go to the World Cup.

If the squad of probables for the World Cup, which will be declared shortly, include fresh faces
I have had a look at the previous 30 (for the Champions Trophy 2006) and yes, I have some new faces in my list.

On Bangladesh preparation
We have prepared as well as we can prepare given the opposition we have played against. As I have said before in an ideal world you would like to play a higher ranked team once or twice in between a very good set of competition against Zimbabwe and Scotland but we have prepared as well as we could.

Bangladesh ’s opponents in the World Cup group
India got beaten handsomely in their one-dayers just recently and we wait with interest to see what they do when West Indies come with their team. Sri Lanka have done pretty well. They are both good sides and form goes up and down as well. But again they can do whatever they want to do but we are focused to get the best combination to get through to the next stage.

If playing domestic cricket before the World Cup would help
I don’t know how many times people have said that in the past but whatever you have as a lead up whether in the form of international cricket or domestic matches you still have to do the best you can. Before we played the last series the boys were in domestic competition and we did okay and again we will be in domestic competition and then go and play internationally. So I have no complaints and we have a lot of cricket as lead up.

Fitness of players
I am particularly impressed with Paul’s (physio Paul Close) area and with the reduction of injuries to players especially to our number one, the leading wicket-taker in world cricket in 2006 Mashrafee (Mortaza). He missed just one game last year and that was in Zimbabwe with a minor ankle injury.

This area is often overlooked and it has to do with management more than anything else. It is a combination of Paul Chapman, Paul Close and all of us. The head coach says we’ll listen to him, I’ll listen to you, you are the expert and we’ll do what you suggest and here’s the proof.

On the rumour that he has been short-listed for Australia ’s coach’s job and his future plans after his contract expires
Look I am always there in short lists (laughs). Probably that’s because I have been around longer than the others. But I’ll say this that whether I remain as Bangladesh coach or not I want to stay at this level.

Paul Close

On Mortaza’s injury-free 2006
At times you do get some criticism that the players are not training as much or training as hard at certain times but now I think now we can sit back and say maybe we made some right decisions and that did help his (Mortaza’s) longevity over that 12-month period and that’s satisfying for all of us.

If the language barrier was still a problem
I think it is always going to be an issue but their English has improved with the more time we are spending together as a group and I believe and communication is a lot better and always improving.

If the players Mortaza had followed the instructions given to them before the break
We haven’t gone into details yet. The number one bowler (Mortaza) is not here today so we haven’t had the chance to see what he has or hasn’t been doing.

On Aftab bowling in the KAI-Altech 20/20 League
I have heard that he has bowled one or two overs in the 20/20 games. There were some instructions there for him not to bowl and to follow a rehabilitation programme. So that’s something we are looking into. Without him we’ll refrain from making comments. We’ll wait till we see him face to face and get the facts from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

Whether the ground condition at certain venues, particularly the Dhanmondi Cricket Stadium was risky for the players
Yeah, I have heard from certain players that conditions were not ideal. You would always want better facilities for the players and there is always room for improvement.

Paul Chapman

His views on the fitness level of the Tigers
The fitness level has been very satisfying and the players now realize the importance of the training regime. We have specific programmes to manage their fitness and they are responding to that very well. I always plan ahead and I look 12 months from now and where we want to be and the fitness programme is designed that way.

On Mortaza
I think he now understands his body better and also knows how to manage himself. He has very good relationship with the physio and myself and is in constant communication with us. He is a strong boy and a natural talent. He gets you the wickets, gives you the runs and fields wholeheartedly and all that effort requires a high level of fitness and I am very pleased that he has had an injury-free last 12 months. I must say my predecessor Stuart Karpinnen has also had a big influence on his fitness.

Fitness standard of the senior players
Every player has different fitness requirements and the senior players like Bashar (Habibul) and Rafique (Mohammad) train just as hard and they are maintaining the standards set for them.

The Tigers experience
It has been a wonderful experience. We have had a great year and I am really looking forward to my first World Cup. I knew that working here would be a challenge and I am relishing that. We have a group of highly talented cricketers and it has been a pleasure to work with someone of Dav Whatmore’s stature.

Photos:
http://www.tigercricket.com/tigerimg...px?columnID=89
http://www.tigercricket.com/tigerimg...px?columnID=90

__________________________________________________ __________________

What's the problem here?

On Aftab bowling in the KAI-Altech 20/20 League
I have heard that he has bowled one or two overs in the 20/20 games. There were some instructions there for him not to bowl and to follow a rehabilitation programme. So that’s something we are looking into. Without him we’ll refrain from making comments. We’ll wait till we see him face to face and get the facts from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

Last edited by Nasif; January 9, 2007 at 11:22 AM..

Old January 8, 2007, 01:09 PM
Cricket Legend

I was wondering about that as well.

May be I am not fully caught up with the latest team updates, but I was not aware of any restriction against bowling by Aftab.

He had the best ODI bowling figure in BD for some period of time but recently they stopped having him bowl at all. Does anyone have any background info on this?

Old January 8, 2007, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Bashar is the captain for Mohammedan. So if the physio did give Aftab such instruction, Bashar should've been aware of that.
Old January 8, 2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

Aftab has always been somewhat of a hardhead. In the past, he didn't even want to join the national camp, because he didn't want to miss out on hanging out with his buddies in Chittagong. He skipped training for excuses such as "headaches", just to get away. He loves the "adda" according to one interview...

Goes to show, all talented people are a bit eccentric..
Old January 8, 2007, 04:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Hoja mal bashar.
Old January 8, 2007, 04:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

eto benghan ken. erukum hoile porte bhalo lage na.
Old January 8, 2007, 05:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Sorry for repeating the question, but does anyone have any info as to why the restriction?

The TC report also mentioned some "rehabilitation program". Is it rehabilitation from "addbazi"? Or more seriously, is he somehow at risk for injury?

Old January 8, 2007, 07:51 PM

I guess BCB wants Aftab just to focus on his batting as we are blessed with "pora-kopal" by having one or two good batters!
Old January 8, 2007, 08:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I guess thats why he missed the opening day in the fitness session. I mean he should know there is oborod going on and make some arrangements ahead of time so that he can reach on time. I guess he didn't want to lose such a nice excuse. Reminds me of old times!!!
Old January 9, 2007, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i have cousins in chittagong who rejected better job offers in dhaka because "chittagonger halim er kono tulona hoy na". my reaction was bleepetty bleep.
Old January 9, 2007, 02:39 AM

Lazy Aftab taken time to digest 'korbani goshto'
Old January 9, 2007, 06:13 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

"Aftab disobeyed instructions"...
and i thought he jumped off his roof to show of his mates...

the thread title could be a bit ott....
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 9, 2007, 06:45 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

Quote:
I have heard that he has bowled one or two overs in the 20/20 games. There were some instructions there for him not to bowl and to follow a rehabilitation programme.
Aftab was suffering jaundish earlier..No wonder he was forbidden to bowl..But, we all know the teams in leagues can be pretty demanding and players are paid(and/or appriciated) for their devotion and contribution.Don't be hursh on Aftab.He might be stepping over lines sometimes, but that's the aggression which provides the fireworks in field too.
Old January 9, 2007, 06:47 AM
Cricket Legend

I think most of our BC members have forgotten that Aftab has suffered from hepatitis and after recovery he was under rehabilitation program. May be that's why he has been restricted to bowl, as that requires much higher energy level than for batting.
Old January 9, 2007, 11:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Can any mod please take the time to strip the first post of formatting?
Old January 9, 2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafin
Can any mod please take the time to strip the first post of formatting?
Done.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.