facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 26, 2010, 01:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Default Board, selectors in spotlight

Board, selectors in spotlight

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=128020

Serious questions have been raised regarding selection procedures after the board allegedly interfered and later overruled the team list of the selection committee while choosing the Bangladesh side for the ODI series at home against England.

There is severe doubt about the relevance of the Rafiqul Alam led selection panel after this episode where their original 14-member team list was disregarded by the board members, who later released a 13 man list, which notably omitted batsman Rokibul Hasan from the team. The issue of the culling of Mohammad Ashraful from the team has also stirred controversy, as it was unclear whether the ex-national captain was dropped due to his own wishes or by the selection panel.

While the board members hold the right to dissolve the selection committee, team selection has long been mutually exclusive to the selection committee and interfering with the process is generally viewed as highly unprofessional. If the board are to overrule the decisions of the committee what is the use of having it in the first place, much less pay a healthy salary to its members?

This incident, while hopefully sporadic, might signal the return to a time when board members could pick the team. This led to favouritism and famously created a lot of controversy in the team selection history of the country. However, the last few years had seen a refreshing change as selectors enjoyed the freedom of choice and dealings were generally administrated in a professional way.

But this incident has disheartened some with one high-up commenting on the condition of anonymity that this practice could set bad precedents and that he was unhappy at the events.

The non-selection of Ashraful has also raised many questions, not for why he was dropped but how and by whom. The common consensus is that Ashraful was discarded only because the player himself desired to take a break after a poor run of form. The chief selector didn't make it clear what their opinion about the fate of out-of-form Ashraful was. The right-hander has been going through an elongated lean patch and there have been plenty of calls for him to be dropped.

However, many a time the chief selector has given the impression that he is not in favour of taking a harsh decision against the former national skipper despite the heavyweight underachiever, making mistake after mistake to set a bad example in the team as a senior member.

However, Ashraful aside, if the selection of the team against England is something to go by, there are bigger questions of autonomy of processes that need to be answered.

Old February 26, 2010, 01:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Well, I guess Durjoy was right all along saying the current selection panel lost its autonomy under Jalal and Co.
Old February 26, 2010, 01:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

We love to make things complicated, what is so new about it.
Old February 26, 2010, 01:14 PM
Cricket Sage

My Three cents...
No doubt, the process was compromized, but the selection of the final 13 was not.
Process Compromize => Potential Long term damage.
Final team of 13 => Short term gain.

the point in missing was:
Ofcourse the selectors should have full authority to select the team. However they need to justify their selection and their performance should be periodically evaluated.

Bagh Mamar justification of selection of certain players(to the press) was always fuzzy. If I would be in the board, I would rather ask for change in the selection committee if selectors fail to justify their selection repeatedly.
On the other hand, if I were bagh Mama, I would protest and resign. That just tells how backbone-less our slectors are.

We don;t know the back-gound... what happened there.... but its pretty safe that its really close to impossible job to justify Ash's inclusion .... and hard to justify Rakibul's inclusion.... and my guess was they failed to justify and backed off to save their postion.

So yes the board crossed their bounday to undo the wrong.... but the slectors are no angels.... they are equally responsible for this debacle.
Old February 26, 2010, 01:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Typical BD history ...unessessary and pathetic. , these guy are paying. Western salaries still they can't do properly their job

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old February 26, 2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

PPl ask why bd took more than 10 yrs and is worse compared to all in development of cricket, it's due to i, lack of board culture (though much better than Pakistan) ii, partial lack of motivating leadership like Kapil dev, fleming or Imran (though Shakib is getting there)

Board must clean up their act else you will see the day when Afghans will kick *** of Bd in our own backyard... those Afghans I ahve seen them play with zeal and enthusiasm
Old February 26, 2010, 02:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRady
PPl ask why bd took more than 10 yrs and is worse compared to all in development of cricket, it's due to i, lack of board culture (though much better than Pakistan) ii, partial lack of motivating leadership like Kapil dev, fleming or Imran (though Shakib is getting there)

Board must clean up their act else you will see the day when Afghans will kick *** of Bd in our own backyard... those Afghans I ahve seen them play with zeal and enthusiasm
Atleast now on Shakib al Hasan we have the leader who can lead from the from

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old February 26, 2010, 02:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I guess that explains why Shakib is frustated with the board.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Board spends close to 1 lakh taka per selector per month. Thats 3.6 Million Taka per year!
You can run a national school champinship with that money. And what do get from the selectors (or should I say Rafiq)? Incompetent and controversial team selection in all forms of cricket.

The board had no choice but to interfere. When the whole world knew Ashrafool needed a break (and that itself was 4 months ago), Rafiq still wanted to to keep him in the team quoting no alternative! How does he know? Ask him NCL stats, he will go mum. Does he even go out and watch cricket out of Dhaka? I mean how insane you have to be to do that? This so called chief selector should not only be fired but punished for make a fool out of our team. He is a biased, clueless and useless gentleman (!).
Old February 26, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Please stop wasting money on these nonsense selectors and get us a good bowling and fielding coach instead. Let the coaches select the players from the local leaugues.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

no alternative statement is very poor statement.

even kenya, ireland has alternatives.
he should look at NCL stats

above all: they should arrange more academy tour or A team international tour. otherwise where he will find alternatives. this is crazy. we didnt have any academy tour for a long time.
Old February 26, 2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

why selectors get that much money. what they do?

thats a nice job. can i get it?
Old February 26, 2010, 03:56 PM
Cricket Legend

[quote=wiseshah;1092339]why selectors get that much money. what they do?
quote]

All they (Rafiq) have to have to do is show up in front of the press conf and read out the players list. They (Rafiq) cant even do that properly, repeatedly make a fool out of them (him)self. For 5 mins ( you can tell) job this guy makes 1 lakh taka per month. Last time I heard, he was asking for a raise! Lets make his salary $1 Million per month.