facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 25, 2003, 07:47 PM
Club Cricketer

Default the way he gets out

It’s a mystery to me that Sujon is able to motivate (?) the team. He cannot motivate himself to rectify his mistakes that he has been doing all through his batting carrier. Most of the times this ‘gutsy cricketer’ gets out playing a cross-bat shot to an off stump line delivery. Here is his last six outs from Crickinfo Archive.

Against PAK, T2
137.5 Shoaib Akhtar to Khaled Mahmud, OUT: short delivery, pulls it in
the air, right down to the throat of Shabbir Ahmed at long leg,
Shoaib Akhtar strikes again and takes his 6th wicket

27.6 Danish Kaneria to Khaled Mahmud, OUT: pitched up, played across the
line, loud and confident appeal for lbw, umpire puts up his finger

Against PAK, T3
99.2 Shabbir Ahmed to Khaled Mahmud, OUT: pitched up, played across the
line, loud and confident appeal for lbw, umpire puts up his
finger, plumb infront

21.1 Shabbir Ahmed to Khaled Mahmud, OUT: ;on target, tries to play
across the line, hit on pads, plumb in front of stump, huge appeal
for lbw, Tiffen raises his finger up

Against ENG, T1
67.3 Hoggard to Khaled Mahmud, OUT: Hoggard strikes again! good
inswinging fuller ball, Mahmud tries to play across the line, hit
on pads, plumb in front of middle stump, huge appeal for lbw,
Desilva says yes that is out

101.6 Harmison to Khaled Mahmud, OUT: fuller length delivery on the
middle, Mahmud moves forward and bit and tries to play across the
line but makes no contact, ball hits the pad plumb in front of the
stumps, Harmison strikes early!, seven down three more to go

In all the last five outings he played across the line when there is a need of showing the full face of the bat. If you have hand-eye coordination and timing of Bashar, then there is some chance of success in playing this kind of shot to an off stump line ball, specially when it is pitched up, else it’s just suicidal. If he keeps on trying to play this shot he is sure heading for another record, most consecutive LBWs.

Most of the players these days have some sort of technical problem. So there is actually nothing wrong to have one. What’s wrong is that there is no sign of correcting the deficiencies.
I don’t know, is not it natural to remember which shot caused your demise in the last innings?

This happened for long. But these days when you know that only 20 to 30 more runs will give you the chance to break the losing trend, it hurts. Really hurts.

[Edited on 26-10-2003 by tnb]

Old October 25, 2003, 09:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Nice research man!! This article needs to go to Daily Star. Its so sad you just have to lough with a heavy heart.

OK guys and girls. Enough mourning.
Old October 25, 2003, 09:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Tnb, I think he gets out on catches most of the time and not lbws. But anyway the argument you put forward is valid.
I happened to have a peek at a stat on him this evening (perhaps it is not updated) but the trend nontheless looks bleak.

Methods of dismissal:
Bowled 10%
Caught 43%
LBW 33%
Not Out 5%
Run out 5%
Stumped 5%

His run ranges:
1 time 40-49
0 times 30-39
2 times 20-29
5 times 10-19
12 times 0-9

I think the serious issue is the last, i.e he gets out too many times around single figures. More captains innings needed.
Old October 26, 2003, 12:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Tnb,

Thats good work. This playing across the line seems to bring his downfall everytime. Oracle, you can get caught playing across the line as well. The main problem is that he is closing the face of the bat on the ball too early. Either he is missing the ball altogether, in which case he gets out LBW, or he might give a catch to slips or get a leading edge to the off-side. He needs to play with a straight bat more.

The point about how many times he gets out in single figures is also alarming, but that is pretty evident from the fact that his average is extremely poor! But you are right Oracle, he needs to play more responsibly. He is the captain of team and right now, he is leading from absolutely the back of the pack! I mean, all ten other members of the team get their names on the team sheet before the captain does, and thats pathetic. He seriously needs to start pulling his weight, and he needs to do it starting in Chittagong!
Old October 26, 2003, 12:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I mean, all ten other members of the team get their names on the team sheet before the captain does, and thats pathetic.
Really?
Old October 26, 2003, 12:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Not sure if you are mocking me with sarcasm or if that is a genuine question.

If it is the latter, well, Mahmud gets his name in last in my team sheet atleast!
Old October 26, 2003, 03:14 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

tnb, give us your name and we will post it on the main page.
Old October 26, 2003, 08:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Sujon\'s info is indeed alarming

captain's knock is missing...sometimes bowling is effective, not consistent..but all rounder position needs more contributions for the good of the team...so my request to Sujon.. you decide as a captain and good fella what to choose for your country...
Old October 26, 2003, 08:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Rajputro - you might want to add Oracle's research at the bottom of TNB's research. They are compementary.
Old October 26, 2003, 10:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Unfortunately Shujon's penchance for playing across the line is not a Shujon pattern but a national dilemma. Bangladeshi batters respond to pressure/nervousness by playing across the line. There are two reasons for explaining this: a) pitches and bowlers are slow at the domestic level and batters can easily slog across the line b) umpires are biased in favor of players from the top clubs thus producing a breed of batters who can easily accumulate runs by playing across the line.

The problem with Shujon does not lie in his apparent inability to play staright but his confusion over his role as a batsman; he simply does not know whether to attack or defend. Take his much maligned last inning for example. Harmison bowled two quick leg side half volleys that Shujon could not put away. The third ball was a much straighter one and Shujon was caught in two minds as to put it away or play it straight. In the end, it was a case of too late, too straight.
Old October 27, 2003, 10:29 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Exactly.

Most of the players get away with cross-bat shots because of the slow pitches and lack of quality fast bowlers. Sujon's technique is successful against 120-130 km/hr speed. But when the speed goes up, like Shabbir or Harmison, to ~ 140km/hr his trouble is obvious. With people like Bashar this is less exposed because of the timing. But mediocre like Sujon has no way out.

Hope that he will soon get rid of the confusion over his role, specially in the team's second ininngs, fifth day morning when the only requirement is to stay untill launch.

Rajputro bhai I send you a U2U.